Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,562 members, 7,770,458 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:52 AM

VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided (99134 Views)

Very Important Real Estate Topic We Should Know / Architects In The House, Pls What Can I Build On Half Plot Of Land? / VERY IMPORTANT: Why Nigerian Civil Engineers Blame Architects/their Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by tossen(f): 3:32pm On May 11, 2016
artizanni:
Hello,

A QS is CRUCIAL to the success of a Building project if you do not want to suffer needlessly while implementing your project. Most Certainly, people have been building successfully in Nigeria without QSes, or even Architects and Engineers. But It is best practice to Involve a complete professional team on your project, especially a QS for the reasons below.

1. Every project starts with an Estimate: You need Estimated quantities and cost, prepared thoroughly and accurately, in order to guide you on your project, while Other people can do this, It is better to have a professional QS prepare this for you.

2. Cost Control: A QS usually have access to databases of Cost information, due to constant market surveys. This can lead to better pricing and rates for implementing your project.

It is better to be Overprepared , than sorry.

And it will not cost you more than what you pay your architect, to hire a QS and have a BOQ,Material and Labour schedule , plus Work Schedule prepared for your project.

Too much Information is better than No Information.

To Know more about us, Please check http://artizanni.proposalist.com/let_us_help_you_develop_or_buy_property_in_nigeria

My brother... The ignorant ones believe our work only starts and ends in taking off.
In the process of doing the job themselves, they get cut short. How can u prepare a material and labour schedule without being a quantity surveyor ?
Someone asked for pricing book. A document every quantity surveyor has at hand.

People betray their ignorance by denying regardless the project a quantity surveyor is very instrumental in achieving an all round effective product. In the end, they'll waste money and get cut short and produce expensive buildings that eventually collapse
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 11, 2016
tossen:

I only wonder what a rude person like you would be hanging. Calling me daft and saying u know it all. For the sake of my person... I choose to ignore your utterances henceforth. It doesn't add or take away from my work.
Have a good day.

But I've never called you daft though angry

You should talk dirty to me, it turns me on grin
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 11, 2016
tossen:

My brother... The ignorant ones believe our work only starts and ends in taking off.
In the process of doing the job themselves, they get cut short. How can u prepare a material and labour schedule without being a quantity surveyor ?

People betray their ignorance by denying regardless the project a quantity surveyor is very instrumental in achieving an all round effective product. In the end, they'll waste money and get cut short and produce expensive buildings that eventually collapse

On a major build or one being finance of course a QS is required.

But on the projects that we talk about here then it is my opinion that a QS is a total waste.

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by bcardastro: 8:37pm On May 12, 2016

If you don't know velocity changes when it goes through a conduit pipe

If you dont know the density formula = mass/ volume
And volume = area x depth and from that get the weight of water on the collector. Blame your maths teacher.

If you don't know the density of water. Blame your chemistry teacher.

If you don't know the normal flow equation. Blame your fluid mechanics lecturer

Then my dear, your problem started from secondary school. God help you.

hmmm fluid mechanics ,can forget the days of ehichioya, catchment calculations and all that,lol,i love engineering!

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by bcardastro: 8:50pm On May 12, 2016
not to sound somehow on the thread but the op is 100% right ,even sometimes the architects just designs without thinking how possible it is to realize his designs but it takes a real good engineer to spot and correct those errors, and it even saves the achitect from troubles coz imagine an arror being brought up and was discovered to have came from the architect and is bound to cause more funds to repair,who then suffers that,well noff said though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by dotman201: 12:05am On May 16, 2016
It's another chance to get a blog post written and share with my professional friends and acquaintances things i've been up to. Whether you are planning to build a new home, revamp your entrance hall or give your bathroom a facelift, my office fit out business will meet your exact needs!

DOTRubik projects offer of a concept-to-completion service, including the design, manufacture and installation of frameless glass structures, makes it a popular choice for both Architects and Home and Office owners who want to add a design feature to their spaces.
Frameless glass doors, in particular, add a timeless appeal and will add a slick, modern and sophisticated look to almost any space in your home. And if you have an idea and are not sure whether it can be done, call us to find out if we can help you bring your ideas to life!
Some of the more popular frameless products include:
Entrance doors may make an appealing feature on your home, especially if cast in glass, without a frame on the opening panel; we can produce single, double or pivot doors.

TOP HUNG SLIDING DOOR --- NEW
Balustrades made of clear glass to the right specification and thickness make a very attractive feature of a staircase or landing and are also perfectly safe for use in your home.

Showers made from frameless glass are very popular amongst discerning home owners who want a slick and elegant design that requires minimal cleaning and maintenance.

Internal glass partitioning provides an attractive and effective means to partition living or work areas without cutting out light, or making the area appear smaller or confined.
DOUBLE GLAZED PARTITIONS

• KNOB CONTROLLED (OPENED)
• KNOB CONTROLLED (CLOSED)

Glass Canopies they are very elegant for your building facade providing an attractive and effective entrance cover.

Glass Writing boards converts your office, meeting room, and general work area into a modern, creative, and innovative environment. Think of an idea. Now erase it. On our gorgeous glass boards, your ideas are displayed clearly, and erased with ease. Zero ghosting and zero clouds.
WHITE THINK BOARD --- CHECK MY PREVIOUS POSTS & IT'S SELF SELLING

Glass Splashbacks are perfect for use behind Hobs & Sinks as they are easily wiped clean and keep their appearance from new.

Glass Workstation Table my unique (MOLUEË) is designed to make your office, meeting room, and general work area into a modern, creative, and see through table.

Offering a concept-to-completion service, extending from design to manufacture and installation.
We buy mainly from www.glass.com.ng and professionally designed and built glass shelves, Bullet Proof Glass, Manual/Automatic Sliding Door, Frameless Door, Aluminum&glass Partitions, Handrailing Glass, Shower Enclosures, Toughened & laminated Glass, Glass Table and unlimited out of the box glass designs.
View our portfolio of projects online www.DOTRubikprojects.com
Twitter: @DOTRubik
Instagram: @DOTRubik
Blog: blog link
FB: facebook.com/DOTRubik
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by thisisod(m): 3:50pm On May 19, 2016
A GROWING YOUNG CIVIL ENGINEER READY TO GIVE OUT A FREE OFFER OF ANALYZING,DESIGNING, DETAILING AND PROVIDING A DETAILED CALCULATION SHEET FOR ANY BUILDING STRUCTURE TO ANY ESTABLISHED ARCHITECT , CIVIL ENGINEER OR BUILDER THAT WILL LIKE TO WORK WITH ME IN A LONG TERM TO PROVIDE SUCH SERVICES, MY SUBSEQUENT CHARGES WILL BE REALLY VERY MODERATE. THE DESIGNS WILL BE SENT IN PDF OR OTHER FORMAT AS REQUEST. CONTACT ME ON 08115801276 OR ikpehchi@ gmail.com
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by itstpia8: 6:46am On May 23, 2016
God will have mercy on Nigeria/ns.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Speak2klein: 9:11am On May 23, 2016
Hi guys! Where can I get quality building materials and finishing? I find it hard to locate a place. Anyone having the same issues
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by General2COAS(m): 8:23pm On May 23, 2016
troubleshooter:
1st of all, the Hogwash u put up here shld be retitled 'MISTAKES DRAUGHTSMEN MAKE'.
If u are not a quack and truly a registered engineer (as u so claim) u Shld know better that this rubbish presentation is against ur COREN ethics of professional practice. An Architect is the head of a project team and u correct his drawings?!!!.... Under what moral authority?
Buildings are falling down all over lagos & u haven't deemed it fit to address that log in ur eye, rather u occupy urself with the vain pursuit of removing a speck in the eye of some profession u know nothing about.
Come to think of it, so u think this trash u put up equates to what is taught in 6yrs of architecture school?
With all ur hallowed experience u deem it fit that a 1metre setback is Better than the 3m as contained in building bye-laws? U are a wonder! Pity the ignorant public cld still applaud ur quackness.
Pple like u are the reason why we are where we are as a country. Jack of many trades, master of zilch.
Though you got points but note : An Architect is only the head of a building project not a civil engineering project.

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by fippycbk(m): 8:27pm On May 24, 2016
Make I design finish, put cantilever, Engineer go come begin tell me why e no go work. Sorry na your name. I don delete your number straight. undecided
The thing is most engineers are lazy and they just copy and paste. Did a design with a spiral staircase, the engineer copied one that he had already done before with a different radius entirely. After person go come tell me say him de correct my design.

3 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by tushbobo(m): 9:59am On May 25, 2016
Speak2klein:
Hi guys! Where can I get quality building materials and finishing? I find it hard to locate a place. Anyone having the same issues

Where are you. If your project is in Lagos, Orile is ok for plumbing, sanitary ware,tiles,doors etc. jibowu for POP finishing. You may also try Mushin.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by carmine9(f): 1:48pm On May 26, 2016
Hello NairaLanders wink, PLEASE HELP ME. i have a problem sad. I am looking for an apartment for first time and i don’t understand the whole process. how did you look for an apartment for yourself? I would like to stay in a small 1-room apartment in Lagos
My website - https://myjobs.com.ng
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 28, 2016
tossen:

So on top of all this your bragado, how much business have you gained from this thread or platform.

Again, QS is a total waste on the projects that we talk about here.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by phemmy88(m): 3:40pm On May 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:

So on top of all this your bragado, how much business have you gained from this thread or platform.

Again, QS is a total waste on the projects that we talk about here.

If you actually typed this, den u still have a lot to learn... Pls, don't always believe u know it all... Read books

3 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Nobody: 3:43pm On May 29, 2016
phemmy88:

If you actually typed this, den u still have slot to learn... Pls, don't always believe u know it all... Read books

As opposed to being typed by my clone? Of course, I need to learn more, only self-centered asshats will think they know it all. But I know these, QS is a total and complete waste on the projects that we discuss on here. I am not responsible for your lack of comprehension.

You also need to educate yourself more. Close the books and get out into the real world.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Walexzeee: 9:35pm On May 30, 2016
To lay the matter to rest.d super enginears,should begin to paste the work they have done.,designs.as they are quick to make mess of d architects job..paste urs so we d lay man can compare and contrast

2 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by tushbobo(m): 11:29am On May 31, 2016
I strongly recommend that think this thread should be unsticked or renamed. The title is misleading and the poster just started by making an advertisement... this is improper. Most people do not understand the type of training and qualification examinations architects go through...no qualified Architect will make those mistakes.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by mrinsurer: 9:25pm On Jun 01, 2016
Formwork by Fyncorp
Formwork by Fyncorp is an innovative technology for concrete forming and curing.
USES AND APPLICATION
1. Raft foundation
2. Drainage construction
3. Swimming pool construction
4.Underground septic tank construction
5.Culvert and bridge construction
6.Pillars,Columns and
ADVANTAGES
1.Speed: Quickens construction time i.e the formwork can be fixed the same day and concrete poured the same.
2.Cheaper :60% cheaper than conventional wooden formwork i.e no wood,no nail,,no binding wire, no workmanship for carpentry work.
3.Durable:Allows for vibration and compression
4. Neater: No concrete spill,smoother surface when compared to conventional woodwork
RENTAL COST: N2,500 per pair (8ft by 2 ft)
For enquiries contact:
Fycorp Limited
Ajah,Lagos
Email: fyncorp.info@gmail.com

3 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by joshua112: 4:08pm On Jun 04, 2016
Now tell me how the cars entered this building.
The 3d is beautiful, it shows 2 Cars in the compound.
I don't know the cars drove through the gate and made a perfect turn to the right.

Even if the cars where dropped with helicopter. The driver can not open the door. Because it will be obstructed by the fence.

This is what happens when the site plan isn't properly planned.

you are very correct on your observation about architects and their drawing. I am also an architect with over 10yrs experience but from what I observed we have two types of architects ,the office architect then the site architect who is very much involved in construction .by the time you compare drawings done by the two types of architects, you will notice that the site architects has more accurate drawings cos from he's design he already knows what will work on site and what will not work but an office architect with no site experience will only do designs that are aesthetically ok but functionality is zero. Explaining why we also have mistakes is that some 3d are being done by visual artist not all are done by architects that's why you see those mistakes. We also have what we call anthropometrics that we learnt in school which is just a study of how human beings relate to sizes of spaces in buildings, not all architects put this into consideration while doing there design example is car park spaces,setbacks,staircase sizes for both residential and public buildings etc I have a lot on this issue to say but time wont permit me. you can contact me on 08031332857 for your quality architectural drawings.im also into construction
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Nobody: 1:07am On Jun 05, 2016
mrinsurer:
Formwork by Fyncorp
Formwork by Fyncorp is an innovative technology for concrete forming and curing.
USES AND APPLICATION
1. Raft foundation
2. Drainage construction
3. Swimming pool construction
4.Underground septic tank construction
5.Culvert and bridge construction
6.Pillars,Columns and
ADVANTAGES
1.Speed: Quickens construction time i.e the formwork can be fixed the same day and concrete poured the same.
2.Cheaper :60% cheaper than conventional wooden formwork i.e no wood,no nail,,no binding wire, no workmanship for carpentry work.
3.Durable:Allows for vibration and compression
4. Neater: No concrete spill,smoother surface when compared to conventional woodwork
RENTAL COST: N2,500 per pair (8ft by 2 ft)
For enquiries contact:
Fycorp Limited
Ajah,Lagos
Email: fyncorp.info@gmail.com

This is good, kudos.

You should add scaffolding and deck supports.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by mufutau55(m): 2:15am On Jun 05, 2016
EgunMogaji:

This is good, kudos.
You should add scaffolding and deck supports.

Adjustable deck support will be a killer rent... that will put all those pako and bamboo to rest.
I saw some Chinese ones on YouTube.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by kolaa007(m): 2:34pm On Jun 05, 2016
When buying or having a home built, it is important to take windows into consideration.
Windows provide our homes with light, warmth, and ventilation, but they can also negatively impact a home’s energy efficiency.Good windows will bring out the beauty of your home and likewise a bad window will make your house very ugly.People taking pride in the appearance of their home goes back as long as we can remember. In many ways, our home becomes an extension of who we are. Doors and, in particular, your Windows, are the first thing family and friends see when they pay you a visit and that first impression is incredibly hard to shift.

Why you should Choose PVC Windows

1. PVC windows are the Number One in energy efficiency
The frame of a window plays a decisive role in promoting energy and cost-efficient thermal insulation. Window profiles made of PVC score top marks when compared with aluminium or wooden windows. They have better insulation values and are able to reduce energy and heating costs. There is a particularly high energy saving potential when using PVC window frames in the passive house standard. Today, passive house windows can be manufactured efficiently and cost-effectively using state-of-the-art PVC profiles and the now quite common triple glazing.

2. PVC windows have a very good cost-benefit ratio
PVC windows offer clear-cut cost advantages, both in procurement and throughout the entire life cycle. Timber frames are approximately 20-30 % more expensive than PVC profiles, and aluminium windows cost 30 % more again representing the most expensive alternative. Based on the high energy-saving potential and minimal maintenance throughout the entire service life of more than 50 years, costs are also saved in the long-term.

3. PVC windows are easy to care for
High quality PVC windows are extremely easy to care for and require minimal maintenance. Wooden windows, on the other hand, have to be glazed just about every two years and painted every 5 years. State-of-the-art PVC granule is extremely resistant to weather conditions and light-fast. To clean the window frames all you need is dishwashing liquid due to the easy-care properties of the smooth profile surfaces. You will find more information on the care of PVC windows on our Info Page Tips on caring for PVC windows.

4. PVC windows are remarkably durable
As opposed to windows made of wood PVC windows have a particularly long service life. High
quality windows stand out with their distortion resistance and high level of functionality for years and years. Based on their long service live of at least 50 years PVC windows are an excellent investment, also with regard to maintaining a property’s value.

5. PVC windows boast an excellent eco balance
PVC windows are 100 % recyclable and therefore resource-saving. 40 % of all gas and oil reserves in the world are used for heating and for supplying energy to buildings, whereas just 4 % go into the production of plastics of which just 1 % are used for PVC. Besides being recyclable, the durability and low levels of pollution during the production of PVC profiles help produce an excellent eco-balance and contribute towards protection of the environment. PVC windows last much longer than wooden windows and consume substantially less energy during the manufacturing process.

Contact us at FKJ Ventures

19b Bola Ajibola street off Allen Avenue Ikeja Lagos

07038937391 (Mr Folorunsho Kolawole)

Kolaa007@yahoo.com
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by waldigit: 8:23pm On Jun 07, 2016
l can see Nigerian experts at logger head here. All l know is that if you are good you are good also the converse is true. it is not in the bluff but in practice.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by kolaa007(m): 10:11am On Jun 09, 2016
When buying or having a home built, it is important to take windows into consideration.
Windows provide our homes with light, warmth, and ventilation, but they can also negatively impact a home’s energy efficiency.Good windows will bring out the beauty of your home and likewise a bad window will make your house very ugly.People taking pride in the appearance of their home goes back as long as we can remember. In many ways, our home becomes an extension of who we are. Doors and, in particular, your Windows, are the first thing family and friends see when they pay you a visit and that first impression is incredibly hard to shift.

Why you should Choose PVC Windows 

1. PVC windows are the Number One in energy efficiency 
The frame of a window plays a decisive role in promoting energy and cost-efficient thermal insulation. Window profiles made of PVC score top marks when compared with aluminium or wooden windows. They have better insulation values and are able to reduce energy and heating costs. There is a particularly high energy saving potential when using PVC window frames in the passive house standard. Today, passive house windows can be manufactured efficiently and cost-effectively using state-of-the-art PVC profiles and the now quite common triple glazing.

2. PVC windows have a very good cost-benefit ratio  
PVC windows offer clear-cut cost advantages, both in procurement and throughout the entire life cycle. Timber frames are approximately 20-30 % more expensive than PVC profiles, and aluminium windows cost 30 % more again representing the most expensive alternative. Based on the high energy-saving potential and minimal maintenance throughout the entire service life of more than 50 years, costs are also saved in the long-term.

3. PVC windows are easy to care for
High quality PVC windows are extremely easy to care for and require minimal maintenance. Wooden windows, on the other hand, have to be glazed just about every two years and painted every 5 years. State-of-the-art PVC granule is extremely resistant to weather conditions and light-fast. To clean the window frames all you need is dishwashing liquid due to the easy-care properties of the smooth profile surfaces.

4. PVC windows are remarkably durable
As opposed to windows made of wood PVC windows have a particularly long service life. High 
quality windows stand out with their distortion resistance and high level of functionality for years and years. Based on their long service live of at least 50 years PVC windows are an excellent investment, also with regard to maintaining a property’s value.

5. PVC windows boast an excellent eco balance  
PVC windows are 100 % recyclable and therefore resource-saving. 40 % of all gas and oil reserves in the world are used for heating and for supplying energy to buildings, whereas just 4 % go into the production of plastics of which just 1 % are used for PVC. Besides being recyclable, the durability and low levels of pollution during the production of PVC profiles help produce an excellent eco-balance and contribute towards protection of the environment. PVC windows last much longer than wooden windows and consume substantially less energy during the manufacturing process.

Contact us at FKJ Ventures 

19b Bola Ajibola street off Allen Avenue Ikeja Lagos

07038937391,08055361583 (Mr Folorunsho Kolawole)

Kolaa007@yahoo.com
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by danowena: 8:53pm On Jun 11, 2016
fippycbk:
Make I design finish, put cantilever, Engineer go come begin tell me why e no go work. Sorry na your name. I don delete your number straight. undecided
The thing is most engineers are lazy and they just copy and paste. Did a design with a spiral staircase, the engineer copied one that he had already done before with a different radius entirely . After person go come tell me say him de correct my design.
This happened to me and has cut off intended parking space. angry
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by fippycbk(m): 9:08pm On Jun 11, 2016
danowena:

This happened to me and has cut off intended parking space. angry

Na so some engineers de do but not all though. I've seen a hotel in Owerri with a cantilever of over 5m. I will take pictures when next I visit there. Some Engineers no just want challenge or stress.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by chikkichikki: 6:24pm On Jun 12, 2016
Kindly contact me to hire your caterpillar. Call 07082981215 or watsapp 08034224699. Thank you.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by penitential(m): 11:28am On Jun 13, 2016
The major difference between an Architect and an Engineer is; the architect will produce the architectural plan with respect to the clients brief, while the civil(structural) engineer is the person to design the structural member (beams, columns, foundation, slabs,....) with respect to the loads (dead and live) that will be acting on the structure to ensure safety and stability of the building. the builder is the person to be onsite to interpret and supervise the construction processes.
Barselonia:

civil engineer supervise the building tech in carrying out the drawing drawn by the architect.....
civil engineer interpreted both the architectural and structural drawing for the build tech to carry out....

i stand to be corrected ooo

but nowaday no different.... everybody is engineer

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

₦500 Million Lagos House Causes A Stir Online / Apartment For Rent Lagos Nigeria - Flats For Rent Lagos / Akwa Ibom 21 Storey Building Ready (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.