Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,738 members, 7,813,422 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided (99586 Views)

Very Important Real Estate Topic We Should Know / Architects In The House, Pls What Can I Build On Half Plot Of Land? / VERY IMPORTANT: Why Nigerian Civil Engineers Blame Architects/their Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by serecode: 1:09pm On Jun 16, 2016
I HAVE A 2 BEDROOM APARTMENT FOR RENT IN LAGOS @ IRE AKARI ESTATE ROAD ISOLO N350, 000 per year IF INETERESTED CALL ME ON 09098703460
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by olumz1: 11:08am On Jun 23, 2016
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by endtimesblog: 8:05am On Jun 25, 2016
Nice post

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by nellend(m): 9:52pm On Jun 28, 2016
@joshua112, I strongly oppose your write-up classifying architects into Site & office architects.
U went through same school system and same curriculum but specializes in different aspect due to job availability and maybe passion.
You did same anthropometrics which means he/she knows what you know theoretically and this are rudiments that every architects knows. Are you sayin that because an architect is confined to the office, he doesn't know building rules and regulations? Please don't mislead people here and don't devalue Architecture for us. And mind you, I have come across people that does three dimensional drawings 3d and are not architects. Many drawings are drafted by builders and draft men's.
And note, building regulation for some areas have been amended to suit the areas with little land but high population so as to meet up with the demands for spaces. Feel free to prove me wrong with facts. Thanks

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by samnijazz: 9:51pm On Jul 01, 2016
dear all, please i need a clarification about Survey plan in Osun state. i purchased a piece of land and did the survey but it is different from the ones we have in Lagos. firstly, the colour is not the usual blue type in Ogun/Lagos. secondly, the stamp excluding it from Govt acquisition is not there. please, does anyone have similar experience in Osun state?
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by AdewaleAdron(m): 5:41am On Jul 03, 2016
Visit www.adronhomesproperties.com and call 08102030355 for info, discounts and site inspection.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by LKREATIONS: 1:47am On Jul 09, 2016
Interesting! I just couldn't help but wonder how people who say they are professionals use abusive phrases in the name of defending their profession. The Op stated somewhere in his post, 'no offence meant'. And yet some people went to town abusing him rather than engage him in a constructive discussion. I am not an engineer or builder or whatever, just stumbled on this thread whilst in search of information. I believe his thread also benefits the non building professionals like us, so we have an idea what to out for as well if we engage the "professional".
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Serial: 3:31pm On Jul 14, 2016
5 Top Weirdest Buildings in the World

If you’ve seen skyscrappers on Lagos Island and felt so overwhelmed, then, I wonder how you will feel when you discover the following top five weirdest buildings in the world. They are in pictures and text description. Read More http://www.tolet.com.ng/blog/5-top-weirdest-buildings-in-the-world/
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by kolaa007(m): 1:45pm On Jul 17, 2016
When buying or having a home built, it is important to take windows into consideration.
Windows provide our homes with light, warmth, and ventilation, but they can also negatively impact a home’s energy efficiency.Good windows will bring out the beauty of your home and likewise a bad window will make your house very ugly.People taking pride in the appearance of their home goes back as long as we can remember. In many ways, our home becomes an extension of who we are. Doors and, in particular, your Windows, are the first thing family and friends see when they pay you a visit and that first impression is incredibly hard to shift.

Why you should Choose PVC Windows

1. PVC windows are the Number One in energy efficiency
The frame of a window plays a decisive role in promoting energy and cost-efficient thermal insulation. Window profiles made of PVC score top marks when compared with aluminium or wooden windows. They have better insulation values and are able to reduce energy and heating costs. There is a particularly high energy saving potential when using PVC window frames in the passive house standard. Today, passive house windows can be manufactured efficiently and cost-effectively using state-of-the-art PVC profiles and the now quite common triple glazing.

2. PVC windows have a very good cost-benefit ratio
PVC windows offer clear-cut cost advantages, both in procurement and throughout the entire life cycle. Timber frames are approximately 20-30 % more expensive than PVC profiles, and aluminium windows cost 30 % more again representing the most expensive alternative. Based on the high energy-saving potential and minimal maintenance throughout the entire service life of more than 50 years, costs are also saved in the long-term.

3. PVC windows are easy to care for
High quality PVC windows are extremely easy to care for and require minimal maintenance. Wooden windows, on the other hand, have to be glazed just about every two years and painted every 5 years. State-of-the-art PVC granule is extremely resistant to weather conditions and light-fast. To clean the window frames all you need is dishwashing liquid due to the easy-care properties of the smooth profile surfaces. You will find more information on the care of PVC windows on our Info Page Tips on caring for PVC windows.

4. PVC windows are remarkably durable
As opposed to windows made of wood PVC windows have a particularly long service life. High
quality windows stand out with their distortion resistance and high level of functionality for years and years. Based on their long service live of at least 50 years PVC windows are an excellent investment, also with regard to maintaining a property’s value.

5. PVC windows boast an excellent eco balance
PVC windows are 100 % recyclable and therefore resource-saving. 40 % of all gas and oil reserves in the world are used for heating and for supplying energy to buildings, whereas just 4 % go into the production of plastics of which just 1 % are used for PVC. Besides being recyclable, the durability and low levels of pollution during the production of PVC profiles help produce an excellent eco-balance and contribute towards protection of the environment. PVC windows last much longer than wooden windows and consume substantially less energy during the manufacturing process.

Contact us at FKJ Ventures

19b Bola Ajibola street off Allen Avenue Ikeja Lagos

07038937391 (Mr Folorunsho Kolawole)

Kolaa007@yahoo.com
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by EngrOsas: 2:36pm On Jul 21, 2016
COMPLETING THIS THREAD
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Kruzilano(m): 12:24am On Jul 23, 2016
Barselonia:

civil engineer supervise the building tech in carrying out the drawing drawn by the architect.....
civil engineer interpreted both the architectural and structural drawing for the build tech to carry out....

i stand to be corrected ooo

but nowaday no different.... everybody is engineer
wrong an architect do the architectural drawing, the civil engineer handles the structural drawing, its the work of the builder to assemble both the architectural drawing, structural drawings, understands them and erect the building, the builder takes charge of every actions on site
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Kruzilano(m): 12:27am On Jul 23, 2016
troubleshooter:
1st of all, the Hogwash u put up here shld be retitled 'MISTAKES DRAUGHTSMEN MAKE'.
If u are not a quack and truly a registered engineer (as u so claim) u Shld know better that this rubbish presentation is against ur COREN ethics of professional practice. An Architect is the head of a project team and u correct his drawings?!!!.... Under what moral authority?
Buildings are falling down all over lagos & u haven't deemed it fit to address that log in ur eye, rather u occupy urself with the vain pursuit of removing a speck in the eye of some profession u know nothing about.
Come to think of it, so u think this trash u put up equates to what is taught In 6yrs of architecture school?
With all ur hallowed experience u deem it fit that a 1metre setback is Better than the 3m as contained in building bye-laws? U are a wonder! Pity the ignorant public cld still applaud ur quackness.
Pple like u are the reason why we are where we are as a country. Jack of many trades, master of zilch.
abeg no vex, which sch teaches architecture for 6yrs in nigeria..

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Zephon84(m): 4:54am On Jul 23, 2016
Yes what you said is true, but you can always see it with an architect who hasn't built any project that he designed, when u design and go to site, you see the need to go more detailed. Its even important to consider the number of block that could be lead horizontal or Vatical to achieve a particular design in a project, doe client test contribute to the design.

From http://zefaxdetails.tumblr.com/
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Eeggleeyes: 7:33am On Jul 23, 2016
Nice thread.
An eye opening to aspiring landlords.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by troubleshooter: 5:25pm On Jul 23, 2016
Kruzilano:
abeg no vex, which sch teaches architecture for 6yrs in nigeria..
Archy program in all regular schls is 4yrs(b.sc) + 2yrs(m.sc). unlike in other professns, d basic minimum 4 professnl practice is the m.sc making d b.sc useless. almost like my m.sc= ur b.sc.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Kruzilano(m): 7:38pm On Jul 23, 2016
troubleshooter:

Archy program in all regular schls is 4yrs(b.sc) + 2yrs(m.sc). unlike in other professns, d basic minimum 4 professnl practice is the m.sc making d b.sc useless. almost like my m.sc= ur b.sc.
ehen!!!! Tell me somtin...in nigeria?? I once attended a NAOBS conference last year, and we had a professional architect to address us....he told us that to join the board(arcon)/NCARB practice as a professional the minimum requirement is B.sc(archi) or HND with at least 150 semester credit hour. I can remember vividly, then u can become a professional archi recognised by ARCON as a graduate member... And u shldnt have compared them to other professions, cause u might not believe if I tell u what it takes to be a professional builder.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by troubleshooter: 9:13pm On Jul 23, 2016
Kruzilano:
ehen!!!! Tell me somtin...in nigeria?? I once attended a NAOBS conference last year, and we had a professional architect to address us....he told us that to join the board(arcon)/NCARB practice as a professional the minimum requirement is B.sc(archi) or HND with at least 150 semester credit hour. I can remember vividly, then u can become a professional archi recognised by ARCON as a graduate member... And u shldnt have compared them to other professions, cause u might not believe if I tell u what it takes to be a professional builder.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by troubleshooter: 9:43pm On Jul 23, 2016
Kruzilano:

U are very corect bro. the b.sc & hnd processes of reg are leeways & make up means provided to accomdate 'lesser' dgrees. but blieve me, most get stuck @ d associate cadre. its easier 4 d camel as they say.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Kruzilano(m): 10:26pm On Jul 23, 2016
troubleshooter:

U are very corect bro. the b.sc & hnd processes of reg are leeways & make up means provided to accomdate 'lesser' dgrees. but blieve me, most get stuck @ d associate cadre. its easier 4 d camel as they say.
well I don't know much about ur profession, buh what I can say now is architecture in nigeria is dying, and I do not know what the bodies governing its activities are doing about it, a builder/a civil.e wants to design, an archi wants to build... With the recent trend of builders buying architectural stamp and architect buying NIOB certificate.. We might be in mess in the nearest future
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by tushbobo(m): 10:51pm On Jul 26, 2016
Kruzilano:

Those HND and even some bsc will still have to do three exams which may take up to 5 years before they get registered. That's is all things being equal... It may be up to 7 years or more in some cases.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 28, 2016
This thread makes sense
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by EngrOsas: 3:03pm On Jul 28, 2016

My name is Osarenkhoe Osayanmon and am a Civil Engineer with enough experience in design and building. I have worked as a building consultant for some time now and supervised some projects on my own from start to finish. I want to share my experience and ideas with you guys. I can be reached via 08068280130 anytime.

Stay tuned and pick no offence but learn
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by EngrOsas: 3:04pm On Jul 28, 2016
Location Plan
Location plan is supposed to help anybody locate the site. It is necessary you take it from a known road or building. Don't be too lazy to signify other buildings around. Google Maps can help you do this properly.

Site Plan
Its important you study the survey plan well before you make your site plan.
1. Don't be tempted to use all the available land for the fence. You need to reserve some in front for the gutter, some flowers for beauty, and for waste disposal.
You should have enough space between d road and fence. Just in case your governor decides to expand the road in future.

2. You should have enough space between the building and the fence. Don't ever use 1m or less. Only If you want water to flow from your roof to the next compound or flowers to grow into it.

3. Include the area of land available, area of to be developed, area to be developed later and area undeveloped. In some cases the longitude and latitude of the site, the direction of north and hatch or colour codes key.

4. All dimensions are important. The building boundary and distance to any element in the compound.

5. Place the gates well. To allow his car move in smoothly. Dont place the gate in a way car will have to turn several times before it's enters.
I have seen a house, were the owner has to come from the street behind his house to maneuver his way through the gate.

6. Should the security post share the same wall with fence. You must plan this properly. Few houses from mine, the man uses electric fence. But the security post roof can be used to gain access into the house with just a ladder.

7. When considering packing space. The space should take the cars when all doors are open.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by EngrOsas: 3:14pm On Jul 28, 2016
Before you draw

Its the dream of any architect to see his design built as he drew. You must ask you client some questions. Take note most of them don't know what's right for them. So try to bring yourself to their level before you advice them.

1. First, You have to be sure your client wants to pay for your drawing. Do you know there are some old architects here on Nairaland who will give a task to several young architects who are full of ideas. At the end they will always pick faults in what you design until you are frustrated to give up. What they do is combine ideas from several architects and do it themselves. All your time and efforts will be wasted.
Maybe one day you will see what you designed being built and no penny was given to you.
I don't think there is a solution to this problem. If you have, please share with us. You just have to be careful. You could also be a victim of fake clients. People who have no land or intention to build. They will contact you for a design and when you are done, they will tell you THANKS.

2. Can your client afford this?
You have to think twice before you design a building that will cost millions for someone who does not see a million in a year. Design what your client can afford.
Always make dem simple.

3. Can the features I put on the drawing be found?
You design a house with pergolas. Who knows where I can buy one?

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by EngrOsas: 3:17pm On Jul 28, 2016
Now tell me how the cars entered this building.
The 3d is beautiful, it shows 2 Cars in the compound.
I don't know the cars drove through the gate and made a perfect turn to the right.

Even if the cars where dropped with helicopter. The driver can not open the door. Because it will be obstructed by the fence.

This is what happens when the site plan isn't properly planned.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (22) (Reply)

₦500 Million Lagos House Causes A Stir Online / Apartment For Rent Lagos Nigeria - Flats For Rent Lagos / Akwa Ibom 21 Storey Building Ready (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.