Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,941 members, 7,821,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Beyond Certificate: A Personal Experience - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Beyond Certificate: A Personal Experience (587 Views)

How To Write A Personal Statement Or Statement Of Purpose / GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience / "Education Beyond Certificate" - A Book By Mr Genius (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beyond Certificate: A Personal Experience by OlujobaSamuel: 9:27pm On Apr 13, 2016
NOTE: This is not to insult anyone, school or qualification.
I met a serving corps member about a week ago, we chatted about different issues affecting the nation. In the course of our discussion, I discovered that he has 2certificates, Bsc in Physics and HND in Electrical & Electronic.
A guy charging(no light no fuel in my current location) where we were all sitting was complaining about his phone, so I told him what to do and how to go about it. This corps member was looking at me in a sceptical manner, but I ignored since there wasn't an utterance from him, the next day, a lady came over and was having issue with her charger, claiming the charger still works but fluctuates if touched while plugged, I requested to see the charger, got a nail around to unscrew it and I was able to make an adjustment to tighten the inner clip, this guy was so baffled but couldn't ask me how I know some of these things.
Today, we met at our usual charging spot, he came with his extension socket, he tried plugging it but it was connecting, so someone told him the extension is not working, he answered by saying it do shake at a spot, so I interjected by telling him to rerun the wire directly, that it might be the switch that's faulty, the guy said how? I don't know how to do that one oo, anything that involves dismantling all this electrical appliances, I don't get involve, I will rather buy another one. I just smiled, told him to bring it, so I can help him, while doing that, I needed heat to melt the led to the wire am trying to reconnect, so I asked if he has lighter on him, he said, What is that? I was shocked, so those around were even making fun that when he is not a smoker, they then explained that I mean fire lighter that smokers do use, fortunately, he was having one on him(he isn't a smoker).
I noticed few things in the course of my earlier discussion with him. He is a bookish fellow, he is also aspiring to enrol directly for Msc after service.
It's good to read in school to have a good grade, but I'm not so sure his inability can be blamed on his teachers but himself.
The few I know about science is out of curiosity, I repairs some parts of pms generator, radio, phones, etc, and I can also install electrical fittings(all for private use), but the closest I've been to a science discipline is Intro Tech, Integrated Science, Agric, Biology and Geography when it was forced on me in WAEC.

It high time we change our mindset towards our certification and look at how to convert it to money. If you don't receive the money, someone somewhere will receive it in your name.
-Olujoba
cc: lalasticlala , seun , Richiez , Fynestboi , olawalebabs

1 Like

Re: Beyond Certificate: A Personal Experience by stoicguy(m): 8:04am On Apr 14, 2016
Factual !!
Re: Beyond Certificate: A Personal Experience by babyfaceafrica: 8:43am On Apr 14, 2016
Hmm...from what you described that guy is what we call ''buti''......am not even sure about his been bookish?....my bro if you see real bookish people,I mean shrewed intelligent,taciturn people,they will not have those two degree and fall graduates hand like that,I agree that people. Should be concerned more with what is practical that brings money than pali stuff...but then money Should not be the focus of everything,what's bad in knowledge for just knowing sake?........
Re: Beyond Certificate: A Personal Experience by OlujobaSamuel: 9:24am On Apr 14, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Hmm...from what you described that guy is what we call ''buti''......am not even sure about his been bookish?....my bro if you see real bookish people,I mean shrewed intelligent,taciturn people,they will not have those two degree and fall graduates hand like that,I agree that people. Should be concerned more with what is practical that brings money than pali stuff...but then money Should not be the focus of everything,what's bad in knowledge for just knowing sake?........
sincerely, if na buti pickin, I for no dey surprised, he isn't close to anything of such.
I've seen things not worthy of a graduate, but this is the most ridiculous considering the discipline, the environment, cost of living, etc.

(1) (Reply)

25 Return WAEC Certificate After Becoming Born Again Christians / Does One Has Right To Sue A School If They Deny You Of An Admission You Deserve / Get Your Commerce Answers Waec Answers Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.