Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Should George Bush Also Face Trial? - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Should George Bush Also Face Trial? (11838 Views)

Senator George Theuri Posts Half-Unclad Picture Of Him And His Wife On Facebook / Amnesty Intl Urges African Countries To Arrest George Bush When He Visits Africa / Some Memorable Quotes Of George Bush (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Afam(m): 11:31am On Dec 08, 2006
Thanks for the link.

However, the statements goes to show that the government of the day don't just lose power because it is fashionable to do so but because the voters wanted change and could only do so through the ballot boxes.

I referenced Clinton's administration because his tenure is still fresh in the minds of many.

I believe a whole lot of people especially those in the US know that the reason for the republican defeat was based on the level of disappointment as regards the Bush administration specifically on Iraq.

Good thing there is a gradual change in the foreign policy of the US, maybe better times are ahead. The US needs to get its acts together and attempt (even if it is difficult to do so) to be fair, objective and stop fighting unnecessary wars and wasting innocent lives.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by lioness(f): 11:47am On Dec 08, 2006
cool
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by TayoD(m): 1:51pm On Dec 08, 2006
You said: "However, the statements goes to show that the government of the day don't just lose power because it is fashionable to do so but because the voters wanted change and could only do so through the ballot boxes."

How does that compare with: "One of the greatest mid-term election disasters (not noted by Krauthammer) occurred in Dwight Eisenhower’s 6th year, 1958. At a time when Eisenhower was personally quite popular, the Democrats added nearly 50 members in the House, and another 16 in the Senate, building upon their already commanding majorities in both chambers."
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by TayoD(m): 2:02pm On Dec 08, 2006
Good thing there is a gradual change in the foreign policy of the US, maybe better times are ahead. The US needs to get its acts together and attempt (even if it is difficult to do so) to be fair, objective and stop fighting unnecessary wars and wasting innocent lives.

You are deceived to think that the majority of the world will love the U.S. once she dances to what they perceive as justice and fairplay. How much bending over backwards will the U.S. have to do before the likes of Osama and Mohamed Attah declare peace? What did George Bush do pre-911 that brought about that disaster? At least, majority now want us to believe that Bush is what is wrong with America, and by extentsion the rest of the world.

There is an ideology out there fueled by faith in the apocalyptic prophecies of Islam which is the major cause of what is going on in the world today. Granted, the U.S. does go overboard sometimes. But in the words of Malcolm X, "You can't put me on a burning stove and be upset by what I say" (paraphrase). That is the positiion of the U.S. right now. The U.S was put on a burning stove on 911 and the world expect to be at rest?! That is ridiculous. As long as there remains a credible threat to the U.S on the scale of 911 we will continue to witness these events either during or post Bush Administration.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Afam(m): 2:18pm On Dec 08, 2006
@TayoD,

The issue of losing control of the houses is clear, it is not something people do out of fashion, there must be a reason and it is either the populace approve or oppose the government. Either way, it is the people that decide based on what they think is important to them.

On US, terrorism etc, another thread will suffice because the issues involved are not as simple as politicians want us to believe.

Have you wondered why the US all of a sudden lost the sympathy it had after 911?

If the US had concentrated on finding the man responsible for 911 the problems we have today would not have been this great.

However, why provide a reason for someone that hates you to justify it?

The US by its miscalculations is providing the reasons that are used to justify attacks on the US.

Israel on its own by over reacting turns public opinion against itself and that does not help their case.

The last Hezbollah/Israeli conflict showed this very clearly, Israeli soldiers were attacked, kidnapped and some killed. Now, this clearly shows that the aggressor in this regard is Hezbollah. But what did Israel do? Wage war on a nation, kill innocent people and in no time Israel was seen as the trouble maker.

Even at that, ultimately, the root causes of these problems must be tackled before we have any hope of seeing the end of terrorism because every terrorist has a story to tell and when people or countries provide enough justifications for terrorist acts then it becomes too difficult to condemn totally the actions of the terrorist since things may have been different if situations were different.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by lioness(f): 2:48pm On Dec 08, 2006
cool
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Gettolove(m): 4:24pm On Dec 08, 2006
Everyone has really contributed to this tread but what is certain is that history will never forgive OR forget all those who are responsible for the destruction and distabilisation of IRAQ. What i find difficult to comprehend are in two folds;

1) The reason why the so labelled 'terrorists and insurgents' are murdering thier fellow citizens
2) The reason why US troops are still fighting 'WHO' in Iraq.
My heart cry profusely for women and children killed every second in Iraq and there seem not to be a helping hand from no where. I am also helpless in this matter but what can i do, imagine the trauma an ordinary person goes through in that country.

I do not like the terrorist though, but when you look closer you may sometimes wonder if there is anyone one to challenge the super power, then you may almost be convinced that only if thses bad guys can target these super powers directly, people i need help here, as i post, a bomb might have just been detonated in iraq.

RELATIVELY
You are familiar with the niger delta militant, i am sure if these guys are not well checked now we might have to fight the menace for a very long time. Imagine a boy born in palestine that knows no other thing but fight and fight isreal, the orientation of some people may be very difficult to change.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by 4Play(m): 11:05pm On Dec 08, 2006
@Ghettolove

Gettolove:

I do not like the terrorist though, but when you look closer you may sometimes wonder if there is anyone one to challenge the super power, then you may almost be convinced that only if thses bad guys can target these super powers directly, people i need help here, as i post, a bomb might have just been detonated in iraq.

U seem to just that there is some value to teror attacks on the US in the name of challenging the superpower.Challenging the superpower is already done by the EU,Russia and China and as China grows, this challenge will grow bigger .Then anti-americanism will change to anti-Chinaism.There will be a time when people will be missing the good old days of American domination

If Bush can be tried for invading Iraq then Clinton together with all the NATO member nations leaders at the time can also be tried for what Afam called "illegal invasion",a new concept in International law AND EVEN IN LAW.

Some BDS people so hate Bush,that they are willing to invent legal concepts to hang him.This violates one of the most fundamental principles of law-nulla poena sine lege(no punishment except in accordance with the law).U can't invoke prosecution unless there is a clearly defined law which stipulates for legal proceedings in the event of its breach.

Behind the calls for Bush to be tried is a mountain of hate driven logic and hysteria.

P.S-Given that Bakkasi Peninsular has been declared part of CAMEROUN,won't those Nigerian leaders who sent Nigerian troops there be guilty of this "illegal invasion " concept.HUNDREDS of lives would have been saved if we had not intervened militarily ab initio in what the ICJ has ruled to be Camerounian territory all along
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Ynot(m): 11:16pm On Dec 08, 2006
As much as i dislike Saddam, the only sane course of action is to punish him appropriately for his "sins", give him his old job back and US most profound apologies. He is the only guy in Iraq that speaks the kind of language those shiites and sunnis understand.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Afam(m): 8:42am On Dec 09, 2006
@4Play,

I did advice you to face your studies so you don't lose both ways.

When you lack basic understanding of short statements I wonder what one can do to make you understand statements that span pages.

Your sense of reasoning is totally disgusting and you never fail to display it anytime you have the opportunity to do so.

You may even forgo the education and get a good danfo to drive in Lagos, it will be a better idea. Education does not equal knowledge, the sooner you realized this the better for you.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Easyy(m): 6:49pm On Dec 09, 2006
I have been away for a few days because I've been quite busy.

Startling to realise that there are Bush apologists; and then there are religious fanatics turned Bush apologists. The question is whether or not George 'war monger' Bush deserves to face trial for what he has, either knowingly or unknowingly, brought upon the ordinary citizens of Iraq.

It appears a few people here seem to believe that the lives of Iraqis are less important than that of Americans simply because majority of Iraqis are non-christians. Some others seem to be blindly willing to follow Bush wherever he goes (probably cos he rescued them from their paths to destruction while they were in Nigeria).

I'd like to be told either that George 'war monger' Bush intentionally decided to obliterate the nation of Iraq or that he is an absolute daftie who thought he knew everything while most reasonable people all over the world were telling him what they thought of his planned attack at the time.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Easyy(m): 6:53pm On Dec 09, 2006
nilla,

God bless you for that link.

I like the fact that the interviews were with rwal ordinary Iraqis. Not just some alienated few given biased opinions to favour anyone.

It's suprising that Blind Bush Supporters (BBS) still have a difficulty accepting what is coming straight from real Iraqis. I suppose they'd rather have opinions which some American organisation has sponsored.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by nilla(f): 7:41pm On Dec 09, 2006
@ Easyy
your welcome.

@ 4 Play
The iraqi people are telling you their mind, but you won't hear it because they are in some market in Baghdad.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by 4Play(m): 8:15pm On Dec 09, 2006
@Afam

I have realised the futility of arguing with an ignorant nitwit.I will not advice u to stop posting since with a brain like urs, NAIRALAND represents ur best chance of a scholarship.

Easyy:

I'd like to be told either that George 'war monger' Bush intentionally decided to obliterate the nation of Iraq or that he is an absolute daftie who thought he knew everything while most reasonable people all over the world were telling him what they thought of his planned attack at the time.

"U will like to be told".With that attitude u will can never form a balanced opinion of this issue.

The first 6 words of your post summarise what is wrong with your analysis of the situation.You see and hear only what u want to hear.When Nilla linked a You Tube clip,u liked what u saw and that to u was weightier evidence of the topic,much better than the scientific polls I referenced from the Brookings Iraq Index(The Brookings Instituition was against the Iraq war)

No one has met my challenge earlier to show me a poll in 2006 where Iraqis say that the toplling of Saddam was not worth it.

I don't claim that the Iraqi people want the US to stay .

My point is  that given,as even Afam was prepared to admit,that the Iraqi people said that the toppling of Saddam is worth it,what is Bush to be tried for?For doing what at the time most Iraqis approved of?For subsequently staying in Iraq when he had obtained unanimous UN approval ?

Beyond that,what is the legal basis for a trial.None

I still maintain that the only reason people are interested in this conflict in the first place is because of their dislike for the US in general and Bush in particular.Where were the calls for a trial of Saddam in the 90s when he committed mass murder against the Shia and the kurds?
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by 4Play(m): 8:20pm On Dec 09, 2006
@Nilla

The Iraqi people are a diverse range of people of different religious sects,ethnicities and culture.In many ways Iraq is like Nigeria,it is merely a georaphical expression.

Why should I attach any weight to your You Tube Link when earlier I linked a poll which showed that 77 percent of Iraqis thought the toppling of SADDAMM was worth their suffering.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by nilla(f): 8:29pm On Dec 09, 2006
4 Play:

@Nilla

The Iraqi people are a diverse range of people of different religious sects,ethnicities and culture.In many ways Iraq is like Nigeria,it is merely a georaphical expression.

Why should I attach any weight to your You Tube Link when earlier I linked a poll which showed that 77 percent of Iraqis thought the toppling of SADDAMM was worth their suffering.

why should i then attach any weight to your own link??

We keep digressing from the topic.
What Bush did was wrong.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by 4Play(m): 8:41pm On Dec 09, 2006
@Nilla
I linked a scientific poll of about one thousand Iraqis across the 18 provinces of Iraq,you on the other hand linked a clip of on an interview of 5 Iraqis in a Baghdad market.

How can u be arguing whether a poll is a better barometer of public opinion than a TV interview.Why then are millions of dollars spent on polling when u can just walk into the nearest market and grab 5 people.

Polls take into consideration the diversity which exists in every country .Imagine if someone walked into a market in Gusau and showed a clip of the traders calling for Sharia law and claimed that was conclusive proof that Nigerians want Sharia law.

nilla:

We keep digressing from the topic.
What Bush did was wrong.

How can the views of the Iraqi people be a diversion away from the question of whether the US invasion of their country is wrong.Like I noted earlier,even Afam was prepared to admit that at the time the Iraqi people said they thought the toppling of Saddam worth it,so Bush was wrong to do what most Iraqis thought was worth it.Or he was wrong to retain troops in Iraq even whem the UN unanimously sanctioned US stay in Iraq
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Easyy(m): 8:50pm On Dec 09, 2006
4 Play:

@Afam

I have realised the futility of arguing with an ignorant nitwit.I will not advice u to stop posting since with a brain like urs, NAIRALAND represents your best chance of a scholarship.

"U will like to be told".With that attitude u will can never form a balanced opinion of this issue.

The first 6 words of your post summarise what is wrong with your analysis of the situation.You see and hear only what u want to hear.When Nilla linked a You Tube clip,u liked what u saw and that to u was weightier evidence of the topic,much better than the scientific polls I referenced from the Brookings Iraq Index(The Brookings Instituition was against the Iraq war)

No one has met my challenge earlier to show me a poll in 2006 where Iraqis say that the toplling of Saddam was not worth it.

I don't claim that the Iraqi people want the US to stay .

My point is that given,as even Afam was prepared to admit,that the Iraqi people said that the toppling of Saddam is worth it,what is Bush to be tried for?For doing what at the time most Iraqis approved of?For subsequently staying in Iraq when he had obtained unanimous UN approval ?

Beyond that,what is the legal basis for a trial.None

I still maintain that the only reason people are interested in this conflict in the first place is because of their dislike for the US in general and Bush in particular.Where were the calls for a trial of Saddam in the 90s when he committed mass murder against the Shia and the kurds?

The basis for my submission on what I would like to be told by you and a few other BBS who have expressed their 'bushy' opinions is such remarks as you made earlier ;

"Make no mistake I don't think the Bush adminstration is anywhere near competent in its handling of Iraq."

With such a statement, you're either indicating that George Bush is daft in his approach or he deciced to decimate Iraq for some reason.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by nilla(f): 8:52pm On Dec 09, 2006
@ 4 Play,
The toppling of Saddam (or the approval of the toppling of Saddam) does not justify the wrongful invasion of Iraq. Thats my opinion sha.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by 4Play(m): 9:28pm On Dec 09, 2006
nilla:

@ 4 Play,
The toppling of Saddam (or the approval of the toppling of Saddam) does not justify the wrongful invasion of Iraq. Thats my opinion sha.
@Nilla

Who decides what is wrongful on Iraq?You or the Iraqi people?
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by nilla(f): 9:40pm On Dec 09, 2006
The Iraq people decide that. Not me, not Bush.

What exactly are you trying to prove?
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by 4Play(m): 2:41am On Dec 10, 2006
@Nilla

In so far as most Iraqis say that the toppling of Saddam was worth it,at least at the time of the invasion,it is not for u a Nigerian to say that it was wrong.Maybe u are trying to separate the invasion from the toppling of Saddam.One could not have happened without the other.

I still don't get what the content of a prosecutors case against Bush will be.It is in impractical,pointless and without precedence.

Maybe some of this energy should be diverted towards people like President Al-Bashir of Sudan
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by nilla(f): 4:08am On Dec 10, 2006
4 Play:

@Nilla

In so far as most Iraqis say that the toppling of Saddam was worth it,at least at the time of the invasion,it is not for u a Nigerian to say that it was wrong.Maybe u are trying to separate the invasion from the toppling of Saddam.One could not have happened without the other.

I still don't get what the content of a prosecutors case against Bush will be.It is in impractical,pointless and without precedence.

Maybe some of this energy should be diverted towards people like President Al-Bashir of Sudan

oops! interesting. . . .
. . . Bush should have spent his energy there or finding Bin Laden angry.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by 4Play(m): 2:40pm On Dec 10, 2006
@nilla
nilla:

oops! interesting. . . .
. . . Bush should have spent his energy there or finding Bin Laden  angry.

Well he did.80 percent of the humanitarian aid spent in the Sudan comes from the US.Hundreds of thousands of African Sudanese had died due to humanitarian disaster while there fellow Africans where busy obsessing over Arabs in Iraq.

Buh also coerced Al-Bashir into ending the war in the South of Sudan,through the threat of more economic sanctions and military strikes.This helped bring an end to one of Africa's longest running conflicts which had resulted in the deaths of over a million people.

Today the United States is one of the few countries that maintain economic sanctions against Sudan,which include a prohibition against US oil coys from operating there.

U might say what does this have to do with the topic .The reason why this topic arose is because of our dislike for Bush.That dislike is based mainly on his actions in the Middle-East.None of this would arise if a fuller picture arose of Bush's foreign policy.

Africans get all their info about the world from Western  media,if the Western media are interested only in the Middle East because it directly affects them,then that  is the only thing Africans know about. U then have the odd situation where Africans are more interested in conflicts outside Africa than conflicts in Africa.

Consequently,u get Africans starting up threads over whether Bush should face trial over Iraq,when even the Iraqis are not going about insisting that the man who toppled Saddam,should be put on trial for doing so.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Easyy(m): 8:12pm On Dec 10, 2006
Easyy:

The basis for my submission on what I would like to be told by you and a few other BBS who have expressed their 'bushy' opinions is such remarks as you made earlier ;

"Make no mistake I don't think the Bush adminstration is anywhere near competent in its handling of Iraq."

With such a statement, you're either indicating that George Bush is daft in his approach or he deciced to decimate Iraq for some reason.

what does this statement mean?

Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by nilla(f): 11:00pm On Dec 10, 2006
4 Play:

@nillaWell he did.80 percent of the humanitarian aid spent in the Sudan comes from the US.Hundreds of thousands of African Sudanese had died due to humanitarian disaster while there fellow Africans where busy obsessing over Arabs in Iraq.

Buh also coerced Al-Bashir into ending the war in the South of Sudan,through the threat of more economic sanctions and military strikes.This helped bring an end to one of Africa's longest running conflicts which had resulted in the deaths of over a million people.

Today the United States is one of the few countries that maintain economic sanctions against Sudan,which include a prohibition against US oil coys from operating there.

U might say what does this have to do with the topic .The reason why this topic arose is because of our dislike for Bush.That dislike is based mainly on his actions in the Middle-East.None of this would arise if a fuller picture arose of Bush's foreign policy.

Africans get all their info about the world from Western media,if the Western media are interested only in the Middle East because it directly affects them,then that is the only thing Africans know about. U then have the odd situation where Africans are more interested in conflicts outside Africa than conflicts in Africa.

Consequently,u get Africans starting up threads over whether Bush should face trial over Iraq,when even the Iraqis are not going about insisting that the man who toppled Saddam,should be put on trial for doing so.

Oya oh! bring facts to prove 80% of the humanitarian aid comes from US grin tongue

But the fact still remains that he illegaly invaded Iraq and Iraq is worse off than it was before.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by TayoD(m): 2:26pm On Dec 11, 2006
@nilla,

But the fact still remains that he illegaly invaded Iraq and Iraq is worse off than it was before.

Can you please prove what laws that Bush illegally violated in toppling Saddam? You keep giving us your biased opinions that can not be backed by any law, international or otherwise. Easyy has shown over and over again that there is absolutely no basis to have Bush tried in a court of law, but you keep spewing out your hatred in uninformed verbiage.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Afam(m): 3:44pm On Dec 11, 2006
Illegality of the invasion of Iraq.

Countries under the UN do have obligations not to attack one another.

That explains why you have the security council. Major decisions concerning countries especially wars, sanctions are usually discussed and agreed upon by the members with 5 having veto powers and permanent status.

On Iraq, the US tried to lobby the other members that had veto powers but succeeded in getting only Britain side them with Russia, China and France threatening to veto the move.

When the US sensed that they won't get the other countries on their train they threatened to go ahead anyway and infact warned the IAEA inspectors in Iraq to leave immediately as the US will not guarantee the safety of the inspectors as the US has already decided to wage the war.

Koffi Annan clearly called the invasion an illegal one on CNN and that was the UN Sec Gen speaking.

I do not know why we are playing around with words here trying to twist and confuse issues even when unnecessary.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by TayoD(m): 4:07pm On Dec 11, 2006
Since when did obligation become law?  

I am not surprised by the lack of support from the veto wielding super powers in the security council.  I am sure the support is not unconnected with some clandestine moves with regards to the the oil for food programme.   It is obvious that economics, not law, sanctity of human life, nor honour that guide the votes at the UN security council.

I've asked this question before with no answer from anybody.  What if Bush went into Sudan without the UN's blessing to stop the genocide, would you all still cry illegality?  Is the inaction of the US in Sudan justified as long as they abide by the indecision of the UN?

What if the US goes into Sudan and got rid of the irresponsible Government and a situation arises in Sudan where the different ethnic groups continue to kill each other like we have in Iraq. Would you still blame the U.S. for that?
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Afam(m): 6:20pm On Dec 11, 2006
Hmmm,

US will not go into Sudan because it lacks the will to do so and Sudan is not important in its scheme of things.

Why did the US lead a coalition of the willing when Iraq invaded Kuwait?

Did Iraq break any law by invading Kuwait?

If you are able to answer the 2 questions above sincerely, then you will be closer to admitting the obvious.

As to your comments on obligation versus law I need to remind you that the constitution of Iraq supercede laws like the war crimes or violation of human rights that some countries have come up with and are trying to impose on other sovereign nations.

As a matter of fact, Saddam was sentenced to death for signing the execution order after some people were tried via the Iraqi courts and sentenced to death just as the present president of US has been signing execution orders and in fact kept doing so while the governor of Texas.

It seems we are ready to turn logic on its head just to make a very clear issue appear complex.

You may want to tune to some of the news channels right now in the USA as Koffi Annan is delivering his farewell speech and has criticized some of Bush's policies. I respect the man for being a fearless and courageous UN Sec Gen.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by dcafe(m): 7:21pm On Dec 11, 2006
[What if the US goes into Sudan and got rid of the irresponsible Government and a situation arises in Sudan where the different ethnic groups continue to kill each other like we have in Iraq.  Would you still blame the U.S. for that?/quote]

@TayoD
If the US goes into Sudan ignoring and rubbishing the (well thought out) view of the generality of political analysts and do not plan for the aftermath of such an exercise then they will be blamed for causing the resulting carnage.
Ethnic groups do not just kill each other without a history. Any (smart) conqueror would want to know, and play out all scenarios before committing his Soldiers. Mr. Bush did not do this.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by nilla(f): 8:17pm On Dec 11, 2006
TayoD:

@nilla,

Can you please prove what laws that Bush illegally violated in toppling Saddam? You keep giving us your biased opinions that can not be backed by any law, international or otherwise. Easyy has shown over and over again that there is absolutely no basis to have Bush tried in a court of law, but you keep spewing out your hatred in uninformed verbiage.

whats with the hate angry

why would i be biased . . . i wonder. And in your minds eye your not biased.

Anyways Afam has answered your question.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Leopard Mauls Six Indian Villagers / Gadhaffi's Son Vows To Exact Revenge. / Chinese Toddler Dies After Parking Space Row.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.