Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Should George Bush Also Face Trial? - Foreign Affairs (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Should George Bush Also Face Trial? (11826 Views)

Senator George Theuri Posts Half-Unclad Picture Of Him And His Wife On Facebook / Amnesty Intl Urges African Countries To Arrest George Bush When He Visits Africa / Some Memorable Quotes Of George Bush (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Easyy(m): 8:36pm On Dec 11, 2006
TayoD:

@nilla,

Easyy has shown over and over again that there is absolutely no basis to have Bush tried in a court of law, but you keep spewing out your hatred in uninformed verbiage.

what

You dreaming?
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by oyinboaja: 12:36pm On Jan 29, 2007
na wa oh
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by 4Play(m): 1:45am On Mar 18, 2007
@Bush Haters

For the umpteenth time,another poll has come out showing the people of Iraq do not share the belief of most war critics,that they would be better off under Saddam and better off if the war was not conducted.-http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article1530526.ece

I suspect this poll will not get much play from those who think that Iraqis should still be living under Saddam.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Afam(m): 10:45am On Mar 19, 2007
Well, it seems it takes on the average 4 months to get a single poll that supports this view, very interesting.

The poll will no doubt make Bush very happy just as it has made the poster's day.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Easyy(m): 10:51am On Mar 19, 2007
4play, You do bring subjective polls and opinions here.
Check the latest here  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6464277.stm

Pessimism 'growing among Iraqis' 

Iraqis have become less optimistic about their future, the poll suggests
A new survey paints a pessimistic picture of Iraqis' confidence in their own government and in coalition forces.
Only 18% of Iraqis have confidence in US and coalition troops, while opinion is almost evenly split on whether to have confidence in Iraq's government.

About 86% of those questioned expressed concern about someone in their household being a victim of violence.

More than 2,000 people were polled, which was commissioned by the BBC, ABC News, ARD German TV and USA Today.

The survey was conducted by D3 Systems.

The latest findings contrast strongly with the outlook among Iraqis in 2005, when respondents to a similar survey were generally hopeful about the future.

Asked whether they thought reconstruction efforts in Iraq had been effective, some 67% said they felt they had not.

Religious divide

The poll paints a picture of an increasingly polarised Iraq, with acutely diverging views between Sunnis and Shias - Sunnis appearing more pessimistic.

Pessimism is most keenly felt across central Iraq, including Baghdad, where Sunnis are most numerous.

Religious differences are particularly displayed in attitudes towards the execution of Saddam Hussein.

Sunnis questioned largely regarded the manner of the former Iraqi leader's death as inappropriate and unlikely to help the cause of reconciliation; Shias predominantly took the opposite view.

No one however wanted Iraq divided along sectarian lines.

Full details of the poll will be available on this website at 1200 GMT on Monday.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Easyy(m): 11:00am On Mar 19, 2007
And this,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6464629.stm

In Baghdad, the most common sound you hear in the streets today is the insistent racket of small private generators.

The most common sight, apart from police and army roadblocks, are the black banners on walls and fences announcing people's deaths.

And the most common feeling you come across is a kind of slow-burning, gloomy anger.

These things represent a major failure of the hopes and expectations which many Iraqis entertained four years ago.

The generators are there because the Americans and successive Iraqi governments have failed to sort out the power situation. And the deaths happen because they have not established peace here.

'They will help us'

It is easy to forget how high the expectations once were.

"I don't like the feeling that my country has been invaded," a shopkeeper in Haifa Street told me, a day or so after the fall of Baghdad.

"But thanks to God that it is the Americans who have done this. They are the richest country on earth. They will help us."

But they did not. They did not even protect the ministries and public buildings and museums from being looted.

We filmed as people shouted "Do something!" at an American soldier, while thieves were running out with valuable medical equipment from the hospital behind us. He just shrugged his shoulders and turned away.

Iraqis were infuriated by the gross mismanagement and open theft that American contractors and Iraqi politicians carried out in the first year after the invasion.

They had little but contempt for the feeble administration of Paul Bremer, the American proconsul whose only previous senior job had been as US ambassador to the Netherlands.

Then and now

When I went to see the shopkeeper in Haifa Street in May 2003, I walked there on my own.

There was the occasional rattle of small-arms fire, and groups of people sometimes looked at me angrily. But I did not feel my life was in any kind of danger.

A couple of days ago I went back to Haifa Street. It has recently been the scene of a series of battles, with Sunni gunmen being winkled out of their positions by the Americans and the Iraqi army.

It is difficult for an unarmed Westerner to go there now, and I had to travel in an unmarked van with dark curtains at the windows and two British security men to protect me.

The shopkeeper I had met four years before had long gone. There was no-one to ask: all the other shops in the row had closed down as well.

Early next day, I went to film at a big city hospital. During the hour I was there, six bodies, found in the streets that morning, were brought in. All had obviously been tortured, and one had had his feet sawn off. It was just a normal morning.

After Baghdad fell, I would satellite reports back to London about attacks in which one or two people were killed. It was big news in those days. Last Thursday, a bomb exploded near the end of the street in central Baghdad where the BBC has its office. Eight people were killed and 25 injured, and we had rather good pictures of it.

But I did not ring London to offer a report about it. To get on the news, or the front page of the newspapers nowadays, a lot of people have to die. I would say the current figure is 60 or 70; and it certainly wouldn't be the lead.

This is not because editors do not care; it is because it happens so often it scarcely seems like news.

Cynicism and anger

After four years of occupation, this is a dangerous, callous, frightened, anxious city.

Its people are wearily sceptical about the current dip in violence which the current American troop "surge" seems to have brought.

Two separate bombs in Baghdad killed at least 10 on Thursday
They mostly believe that the various warring militia will keep their heads down while the surge lasts, then come out again when the Americans have left.

But cynicism and anger are not the only emotions.

At the hospital I visited, I interviewed a vascular surgeon who had succeeding in patching up a young girl's arm after a bomb attack.

"You must get sick of all this," I said. "Are you tempted to leave the country, like so many of your colleagues have?"

"No," he answered, "Even if I knew I was going to be killed tomorrow, I would stay here. It's my duty."

One day, that kind of attitude will turn this back into a vibrant, effective country again. But it will not happen for a while.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Afam(m): 11:10am On Mar 19, 2007
@Easyy,

Thanks for those posts, where have you been?

Let us wait for his usual maradona style of response and see how he can manage to swim out of this one just as Bush stated that the most difficult part of his job is trying to link the invasion of Iraq to the war on Terror,
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Easyy(m): 11:33am On Mar 19, 2007
Afam,

Thanks. I've been quite busy in recent time. We were changing schools for my son in Nigeria and it's not been easy shuttling between here and Lagos.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Afam(m): 11:42am On Mar 19, 2007
@Easyy,

Ok, take care and all the best.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by 4Play(m): 3:23pm On Mar 19, 2007
@Easyy

You are an intelligent man and any intelligent man will see that there is nothing contradictory in the 2 polls we published.

Lets summarise what the 2 polls tell us

Most Iraqis feel less safe than in 2005 and have no confidence in the Coalition forces forces.86% fear for the safety of their family members .All these are hardly surprising

However,bearing in mind that this thread is about trying Bush for invading Iraq,the most remarkable thing is this excerpt from one of the polls-

Yet 49% of those questioned preferred life under Nouri al-Maliki, the prime minister, to living under Saddam. Only 26% said things had been better in Saddam’s era, while 16% said the two leaders were as bad as each other and the rest did not know or refused to answer.

Now according to you and Afam,Bush should be tried for bringing about a situation which a plurality of Iraqis-a ratio of 2 to 1-prefer .

Another thing is that the 2 polls show that most Iraqis don't think that their country is engaged in a civil war.

I was watching the BBC News this morning and they also mentioned that the poll shows that only a third of Iraqis want Coalition Forces to immediately depart .That is to say,two-thirds of Iraqis don't want Coalition troops to immediately depart

Whatever we gleaned from the two polls,we know this.The views of most Iraqis are not as clearcut as most people make out.Most people will have you believe that the overwhelming majority of Iraqis will prefer life under Saddam

The most important thing which is relevant to this thread is that there are no grounds for saying we should try Bush when on a 2 to 1 ratio most Iraqis prefer the situation which Bush has brought about to the situation which obtained before  

Why people should insist on Bush being tried for removing Saddam in the light of Iraqi opinion is baffling
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by 4Play(m): 3:32pm On Mar 19, 2007
Afam:

The poll will no doubt make Bush very happy just as it has made the poster's day.

Are you unhappy that twice as many Iraqis prefer living under Maliki than under Saddam?You would prefered that they say they are unhappy

If a plurality of Iraqis prefer this situation,then so be it.It is irrelevant that Bush might be happy .This is where the so-called Bush Derangement Syndrome .If a situation might make Bush happy then it is preferable that a contrary situation obtains which will make Bush unhappy eventhough that contrary situation makes millions of people unhappy

Many people delight in the suffering of Iraqis because they think that is a blow to the Americans and to Bush in particular.That is really sad indeed
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Afam(m): 3:34pm On Mar 19, 2007
@4Play,

I will suggest you return home and join politics.

Your response is a clasiscal political response that seems like its coming from Orji Uzo Kalu himself.

Seriously though, for the simple fact that the reasons for the illegal invasion of a soveriegn nation have been found to be manufactured and mere lies and the resulting illegal invasion responsible for death of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis and even coalition troops, Bush under normal circumstances and in a just world would have been sitting in a cell at the Hague waiting for lawyers to get him out of a very clear case of murder and chaos in another man's land.

We all know that the world is not just and that no such trial will take place but for public commentators on discussion forums like this one if Bush does not qualify to be tried for the heinous crimes against humanity then no one qualifies to be tried for such.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Afam(m): 3:37pm On Mar 19, 2007
4 Play:

Are you unhappy that twice as many Iraqis prefer living under Maliki than under Saddam?You would prefered that they say they are unhappy

If a plurality of Iraqis prefer this situation,then so be it.It is irrelevant that Bush might be happy .This is where the so-called Bush Derangement Syndrome .If a situation might make Bush happy then it is preferable that a contrary situation obtains which will make Bush unhappy eventhough that contrary situation makes millions of people unhappy

Many people delight in the suffering of Iraqis because they think that is a blow to the Americans and to Bush in particular.That is really sad indeed

Your response is based on a wrong premise: that the poll you posted here is a definitive representation of the views of Iraqis.

This is not so and that was why I stated that it takes on the average 4 months or more for you to see a poll like this and the frequency of such polls does not help the issue at hand.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by kellorah: 10:14pm On Apr 29, 2007
@ topic: i don't see why not. u forgot to incluce tony blair for WAR CRIME
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Blatant: 4:31pm On Jan 24, 2008
George Bush suppose face tribunal for the murder of several thousands of Iraqis including men and women, some of whom were pregnant.

George Bush no go die better
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by blkmum700: 2:45am On Jun 13, 2008
@Txlonghorn

You are given the Job just because the people who employed you, see you has sufayo like we use to say when we are kids watching war films.

You just be Zombi like fela say,
Bufalo soldiers

all of una wey they sopport american na Malu, Zombie
i know say na drug una they sell for there or shop with
peoples creditcards you still they see drugs sells thats why the place they shack you like heaven.them go still inject una and deport una
come back nigeria, the few people i know wey they support american like dis na alagbo close and kirikiri them end up.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by 2Legit: 1:17pm On Jun 13, 2008
The man suppose hang sef
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Leilah(f): 1:30am On Jun 29, 2008
GEORGE BUSH IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE KILLING OF SO MANY INNOCENT MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN. HE DESERVES EXECUTION. I REMEMBER LOOKING AT PICTURES OF CORPSES OF INNOCENT FAMILIES IN LEBANON NOT SO LONG AGO AS IN ABOUT 2006 I THINK AND THE CHILDREN WERE SO BEAUTIFUL AGED 2 AND UNDER LYING THERE DEAD. WHY? BECUASE THE ISRAELIS AND THE AMERICANS KILLED THEM. THERE ARE THOUSANDS AND THOUSAND THAT DIED, SHAME ON THAT DEVIL. HE IS THE LIVING ANTI CHRIST.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jun 29, 2008
. . . as if the US is governed by just one man
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by SeanT21(f): 4:00am On Jul 05, 2008
If he face trial then almost all african presidents should face trial.

If he face trial, then congress should follow him.

plus, who is gonna put him on trial.

then UN? the last time i check the UN was based in NYC and America hardly listen to them.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by CH3COO(m): 8:13am On Jul 05, 2008
stillwater:

. . . as if the US is governed by just one man
One man was the war magnate.  All it took was one man to saturate congress-men-and-women into thinking this war would be won before it even began.

SeanT21:

What's the relationship between Bush and 'all african presidents' , relative to the war? Do you ever take time to proofread what you write?
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Novacaine(m): 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2008
Why not he is responsible for all our lost troops he would never be forgiven for that

F, K BUSH
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by SeanT21(f): 4:25am On Jul 07, 2008
CH3COO:

One man was the war magnate. All it took was one man to saturate congress-men-and-women into thinking this war would be won before it even began.

What's the relationship between Bush and 'all african presidents' , relative to the war? Do you ever take time to proofread what you write?

I am trying to say that most african presidents have done worse than bush. So If Bush goes, they follow.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2008
Yes, that man should be tried and jailed!
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by JustGood(m): 2:22pm On Jun 17, 2009
I'm also hopeful that George Bush will be tried some day. . . even post humously.

He is an absolute slowpoke who has wrought havoc and destruction on the fabrics that the world should exist peacefully upon
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by JustGood(m): 2:23pm On Jun 17, 2009
SeanT21:

If he face trial, then congress should follow him.

plus, who is gonna put him on trial.

then UN? the last time i check the UN was based in NYC and America hardly listen to them.

How many of those African leaders, save for a few who have already faced tribunals, have sanctioned as many deaths as George Bush did?

Did parliaments in other countries face trial when their bad leaders did?
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by Tudor6(f): 12:38pm On Jun 18, 2009
Why should BUSH be tried?
He's done nothing but free the world from the grasp of growing islamic fundamentalism and terrorism. He's made the world a safer place,and for that your unborn generations will remember him.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by sleekp1: 11:51pm On Jun 21, 2009
Tudór:

Why should BUSH be tried?
He's done nothing but free the world from the grasp of growing islamic fundamentalism and terrorism. He's made the world a safer place,and for that your unborn generations will remember him.

So Bush has stopped islamic fundamentalism, do you even watch the News.
Islamic fundamentalism is alive and well in Iran at least, Lol !!

Seriously man try watching the News and stop making a fool of yourself.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by pappyn: 4:12pm On Jul 11, 2009
those who believe America as a democratic nation watch this please http://www.documentarywire.com/obama-and-the-global-elite
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by IGWEUSA(m): 8:47am On Jul 12, 2009
Why should Bush be tried?
How many of Nigerians Leadersmurders have been tried?
What have we done to the killers of the Abiolas, Harry marshall, Dikibo, Dele Giwa etc., despite the fact that we Nigerians claim to know the
perpetrators,instead; we are clamouring for the trial of BUSH just because of the war against terrorism.

Whether WMD was found in Iraq during the invasion or not, the fact remains that Saddam had once used such weapons on his people.

Also we should not forget in a haste, the big elephant in the house, " the sept 11 attack". Any resposible government have to do anything

within her power to protect her citizens.Undoubtedly, the Bush administration was under pressure to weed out all the terrorist networks,

whether in Iraq or in Afghanistan. But unfortunately, innocent civilians are always engulfed in any kind of war.

To buttress my point, Bush owes nobody any apology. The Islamic fundamentalists called for the war, the US congress approved the
war, and Bush delivered the packege.
Re: Should George Bush Also Face Trial? by sexyLeamon(f): 11:16am On Jul 12, 2009
he did his ban deeds indirectly, so how can that happend? undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Leopard Mauls Six Indian Villagers / Gadhaffi's Son Vows To Exact Revenge. / Chinese Toddler Dies After Parking Space Row.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.