Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,384 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Currency Deal With China: Things To Know - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Currency Deal With China: Things To Know (41964 Views)

Innoson Motors Signs Deal With China To Pump $1bn Into Nigeria / Ibom Deep Sea Port: Udom Emmanuel To Sign Deal With China (Pics) / Buhari Didn’t Sign Any Loan Deal With China – Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by kay29000(m): 3:52pm On Apr 15, 2016
Seun:
I have no problem with trade deals, but anyone who thinks this will strengthen the naira is confused. The only thing that will strengthen the naira sustainably is if we export more (or if the price of oil recovers). Our honourable president's well intentioned voodoo economics didn't work the last time and won't work this time either. He needs to listen to mainstream economists and follow their recommendations. Economics works.

You could have made your point without insult.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Nobody: 3:53pm On Apr 15, 2016
LemonBoy1:

sorry sister
Apology accepted cheesy grin
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Chommieblaq(f): 3:53pm On Apr 15, 2016
Dannie2015:
Nigerians and their one-wayy thinking pattern. Was there any agreement signed as to what happens should china decide to devalue their currency just as they did b4? Dnt frget in d said agreement, china is expected to construct d rail project frm lagos to calabar which 1. Has not bn included in d much disputed budget in d history of d country. 2. All materials to be used in d said rail project if finally approved will b imported frm china and as such no room for other companies to com bid for d contract which means they dictate all d how much involved in d project while nigeria dances to their tune. Am just sick of d marriage called nigeria

Thank you very much, they just don't want to hear about the demerits.

This relationship is just modern slavery, China ti take over no more room for competition.

Borrow borrow, wetin happened to all the wey dey get from TSA and wey looters return!
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Joel3(m): 3:54pm On Apr 15, 2016
CSTR2:
Exporting oil to China at giveaway price and getting an overpriced albeit world class infrastructures is a great deal than we have gotten in decades.
I don't mind selling $4 billion worth of oil for $3B worth of world class Infrastructures if that is what it takes.
hahaha. world class infrastructure. and you expect that from the Chinese
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Firefire(m): 3:59pm On Apr 15, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

With or without the loan, we are still going to import in large quantities. This means that without the loan, our dollar reserves diminishes.

So why not sign a Currency Swap deal that continues the importation, reduces the pressure on the reserves and boost our infrasructures.

The boost in infrasructures will result in more local productivity due to more jobs.

Anyway, I fear for the indigenous companies, btw., what is the currency of the loan repayment ? Yuan or USD?

If USD, what happens if Chinese government continue their open currency (Yuan) manipulation and depreciation occurs? Is Nigeria going to hedge this potential foreign currency risk ?

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Tycoflu(m): 4:01pm On Apr 15, 2016
focus7:
Seun I don't mind your ban, you can even make it a life ban but I must tell you that you don't have sense.

That moment opportunity to punch the senior that deals with you comes up and you go ahead with the action without giving a damn of what other seniors around might do to you.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:02pm On Apr 15, 2016
Empero1:

Sharap! What gives you the guts to ask if I'm alright! Now, to the bone of contention, I wonder where you get the idea that we're "poor and weak" obviously, you're not a good student of diplomacy.

With the abundance of natural resources that abounds in this great country, the word poor shouldn't be associated with us- China as an enterprising and industrialized country need what we have in this regard and vise versa. More so, with the intellectual resources available to us, we shouldn't be ascribed with the word weak- a sound diplomatic ground work is all we need to get things right at this juncture.

I'm a seasoned bureaucrat... an international acclaimed one at that, I have always help different many countries to get the best of deals from their counterparts without letting the initiator of the deal to subject itself to perpetual slavery in the hand of its associate country. By the way, there's something called trade by barter.

Anyway, my service is not for free, so for more information contact me privately.
By the way, there's something called trade by barter.

And what does the signed deal sound like to you?

Typical malnourished Nigerian bush fowl fancying itself an exotic peacock. You're poor and weak, China is rich and powerful. Deal with it. Your past leaders put you in this position because they knew the bottom is where the followers desired to be.

You have natural resources?! Big deal, go ahead and eat it because they've served you well in the past. Diamonds in the hands of a cave man is nothing but rocks and that is exactly where your nation finds itself right now.

2 Likes

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Sanchase: 4:03pm On Apr 15, 2016
China is known for imitation products, this Yuan this Yuan that is only for trade between Nigeria an China, besides a little Maths on the actual value of Yuan will give u a better idea of the rate;
For example, if you owe a Chinese $1000 and you agree to pay in Yuan to cut costs.
Officially $1000 = 6,470 CNY (this Yuan rate is an estimate from current official rates)
In Nigeria 1 CNY = N33 (if you are lucky)
Therefore to get the equivalent of 6,470 Yuan you will pay; (N6470 x 33) = N213,510 plus around 10 percent charges N21,351. Altogether N234,861.
Finally divide N234,861/$1000 = N234.861.

$1000 in the Nigerian black market is N320,000 plus 10 percent fees, that's N352,000.
If you pay via Yuan, u be saving N352,000 - N234,861 = N117,139 saving per $1000 transaction for paying in Yuan.

The big question now is how reliable is the rate of Yuan, and what is the realistic exchange rate in Banks, can you trust the rate and how accessible is the Yuan in Nigeria and ease of sending it to China. All these factors will help you make a decision.

Another factor is the rate agreed with the Chinese for collecting payment of $1000 in Yuan may be significantly higher than official so u may end up paying more with Yuan compared to paying with USD.

There is a saying the devil you know is better than the angel you don't know but no harm in trial.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Alabitrends01: 4:03pm On Apr 15, 2016
its good deal, but Nigeria needs to be smart in this game. it should be a win win
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by CSTR2: 4:04pm On Apr 15, 2016
Joel3:
hahaha. world class infrastructure. and you expect that from the Chinese
If the price is right.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by jpphilips(m): 4:05pm On Apr 15, 2016
[quote author=Dannie2015 post=44727193]
Nigerians and their one-wayy thinking pattern. Was there any agreement signed as to what happens should china decide to devalue their currency just as they did b4? Dnt frget in d said agreement, china is expected to construct d rail project frm lagos to calabar which 1. Has not bn included in d much disputed budget in d history of d country.

I am not sure if you have the details why China devalue or revalue their currency, perhaps someone just mentioned it and you jump on the bandwagon, Chinese devalue their currency to hurt the west ($&Euro), the last in 2008 (during the Meltdown) was revaluation because America cried for mercy, you don't just knee jerk about news, you need to understand how it applies to your economy before talking.

2. All materials to be used in d said rail project if finally approved will b imported frm china and as such no room for other companies to com bid for d contract which means they dictate all d how much involved in d project while nigeria dances to their tune. Am just sick of d marriage called nigeria

The companies that want to bid, why cant they form a consortium and provide the funding for the projects so they can split procurement responsibilities amongst themselves? typical black man, you wait for China to bring the money then position for bidding, I wonder how many companies bidded when we saw this in the news?

Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, disclosed this while briefing State House Correspondents on the outcome of the weekly FEC meeting, presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
He said the approval followed a memorandum presented to the Council on the railway modernisation project.
The minister noted that the rail project was in 2006 awarded to CCECC Ltd, a Chinese company, but could not be completed due to paucity of funds.
Mr. Maku said that the project would now be executed in six phases, saying that the project would cover 2,733 kilometres.

Common sense should inform you that he who pays the piper determines the tune, the best our government will dictate is quality standards, ie if Nigerians like you and I does not collect bribe from the chinese firms to falsify inspection results.
You can not eat your cake and have it, your previous government squandered your oil wealth yet they have supporters, since they are ok with that, the Chinese will have to tell Nigerians the real cost of funds with strident conditions, that will make the lost souls in Nigeria to appreciate what they lost to corruption.
Thank your stars it wasn't world bank and IMF that provided those funds. You want to bid for another man's sweat, wake up!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Chukzyfcb(m): 4:11pm On Apr 15, 2016
One thing I know is, even economist don't sing the same tune when a music is played.....In a stock market even, stock brokers can only speculate but cannot be 100% certain. The oil energy experts didn't expect a fall of oil price down to $35/barrel jan lastyear......that's how economic news is. Its a master dribbler subject to change.
We can only but speculate but can never be sure.... Likewise is this news, some have speculated its a positive move while the others are pessimistic....at the end, we will see how the theory work will translate in our day-day activities (pratical work).

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Nobody: 4:12pm On Apr 15, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
By the way, there's something called trade by barter.
, and what does the signed deal sound like to you.

Typical malnourished Nigerian bush fowl fancying itself an exotic peacock. You're poor and weak, China is rich and powerful. Deal with it. Your past leaders put you in this position because they knew the bottom is where the followers desired to be.

You have natural resources?! Big deal, go ahead and eat it because they've served you well in the past. Diamonds in the hands of a cave man is nothing but rocks and that is exactly where your nation finds itself right now.

I don't join issues with a riff-raff like you. I'm a realist and I earn my living from services I render in line of the subject under discussion- this by extension means that I know what I'm saying and the advanced economics that hires my service knows better than you numskull would ever know. More so, I don't need validation of a nonentity like you to substantiate my pronouncement. People are paid for what they do with what they know, no one will pay you for what you think you know, therefore, so long as you are're not earning anything from your empty postulations as seen all over this thread, then you're just yarning trash.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by 400billionman: 4:12pm On Apr 15, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
Currency Deal With China To Crash The Dollar By 70% !

President Buhari doesn't have "certificate" but he sure knows how to make things happen and do what some heroes with unproven Ph.D. can't even dream of...

1. As President Buhari and CBN Governor, Emefiele moved closer to actualizing their promise to strengthen the naira against the US dollars

2. By signing a landmark currency deal with the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Ltd on Tuesday in Beijing, China.

3. The agreement will allow Nigerian who imports mainly from China conclude their transactions in the Chinese currency instead of the dollar

4. The new agreement would see Nigeria-China trades, which accounts for over 70 percent of imports into Nigeria, concluded in the Yuan.

5. Until now over 90% of int'l trades between Nigeria & the world is done in dollars, & in the process putting so much pressure on the naira

6. Nigeria imports almost all it needs from the West, Middle East and Asia.

7. The CBN is expected to diversify a huge chunk of Nigeria’s foreign reserve from the dollars to the Yuan to perfect the agreement.

8. “It means that the renminbi (Yuan) is free to flow among diff banks in Nigeria, & the renminbi has been included in the FXR of Nigeria,”

9. FXR means foreign exchange reserves

10. Lin Songtian, director general of the African affairs department of China’s foreign ministry, told reporters in Beijing ...

11. .. a few minutes after the agreement was signed between the Governors of the nations’ reserve banks..

12. in the presence of President Buhari & President Xi Jingping of China, who is hosting Buhari and top Nigerian officials to a state visit.

13. Lin said a framework on currency swaps has been agreed with Nigeria, making it easier to settle trade deals in Yuan.

14. China has signed currency swap deals with countries ranging from Kazakhstan to Argentina as it promotes wider use of its Yuan.

15. Nigeria would become the clearinghouse for Yuan denominated transactions for the whole of Africa following the agreement.

16. Beijing also signed agreements to develop infrastructure in Nigeria, part of a drive to deepen its ties with Africa.

17. It has offered Nigeria a loan worth $6 billion to fund infrastructure projects.

18. Also, ICBC signed a $2 billion loan deal with Dangote group, to fund two cement plants it plans to build, Lin told Reuters.

19. China’s official Xinhua news agency cited President Xi as telling Buhari that there was huge potential for economic cooperation, naming

20. Naming oil, refining and mining..

21. Nigeria is also considering issuing Panda bonds (mainly Yuan denominated) as against euro bonds because they are cheaper.

This is good, better days are ahead, I'm sooo happy and hopeful right now. Nigeria shall be great again!

Miss Ngene

There is a controversy hanging over your gender.

Are you male or female ?
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Sibrah: 4:13pm On Apr 15, 2016
I go with Seun's position over Mynd44's.
The main advantage of the swap to Nigeria is that it allows Buhari to bypass the corrupt system we have to get cheap loans from China while also negotiating some projects himself. To China, it will ensure Chinese company are patronised. It is a mutual thing for both sides.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by bbpin(f): 4:16pm On Apr 15, 2016
VocalWalls:
grin

Many of you are just saying nonsense. Is it America that hiked the price of the dollar?

The problem is with the system, how are we sure the yuan won't go as high as 80 in the parallel market?

So when it gets to that, we then jump to cefa instead of fixing the system. Are we this dull?

You have said it all. This government has refused to understand that the present situation we have found ourselves in has nothing to do with the dollar but our sole dependent on the oil. its only a matter of time before what happened to dollar will happen to Yuan because the Naija i know hmmm, this is going to be good business for some people . God help us
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by persius555(m): 4:18pm On Apr 15, 2016
PMB needs guidance on how to see that nigeria maximises the benefit of this move.
If the chinese are going to build our transport system with the borrowed loans, fine. To strike a balance, we must see to it that the infrastructures provided will enable our producers access the chinese market too.

The ultimate goal of the chinese govt is to get as many large economies to buy into the yuan crusade and effectively compete with the west which controls 75% of the global financial institutions. This move is not and at the same time is sucidal. It all depends on our ability to put together a solid economic framework that will see our produce, whether farm or machine produce compete favourably in the global market.
If the loans will be used to build rails and power projects then fine.
The chinese are very focused bunch of people, so if we are dealing with them, we better do so with extra caution and vigilance.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by 989900B: 4:20pm On Apr 15, 2016
modath:

Gbam! Gbammer Gbammest! smiley

Hey Mo', I see you! smiley
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by imakewealth: 4:23pm On Apr 15, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
Currency Deal With China To Crash The Dollar By 70% !

President Buhari doesn't have "certificate" but he sure knows how to make things happen and do what some heroes with unproven Ph.D. can't even dream of...

1. As President Buhari and CBN Governor, Emefiele moved closer to actualizing their promise to strengthen the naira against the US dollars

2. By signing a landmark currency deal with the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Ltd on Tuesday in Beijing, China.

3. The agreement will allow Nigerian who imports mainly from China conclude their transactions in the Chinese currency instead of the dollar

4. The new agreement would see Nigeria-China trades, which accounts for over 70 percent of imports into Nigeria, concluded in the Yuan.

5. Until now over 90% of int'l trades between Nigeria & the world is done in dollars, & in the process putting so much pressure on the naira

6. Nigeria imports almost all it needs from the West, Middle East and Asia.

7. The CBN is expected to diversify a huge chunk of Nigeria’s foreign reserve from the dollars to the Yuan to perfect the agreement.

8. “It means that the renminbi (Yuan) is free to flow among diff banks in Nigeria, & the renminbi has been included in the FXR of Nigeria,”

9. FXR means foreign exchange reserves

10. Lin Songtian, director general of the African affairs department of China’s foreign ministry, told reporters in Beijing ...

11. .. a few minutes after the agreement was signed between the Governors of the nations’ reserve banks..

12. in the presence of President Buhari & President Xi Jingping of China, who is hosting Buhari and top Nigerian officials to a state visit.

13. Lin said a framework on currency swaps has been agreed with Nigeria, making it easier to settle trade deals in Yuan.

14. China has signed currency swap deals with countries ranging from Kazakhstan to Argentina as it promotes wider use of its Yuan.

15. Nigeria would become the clearinghouse for Yuan denominated transactions for the whole of Africa following the agreement.

16. Beijing also signed agreements to develop infrastructure in Nigeria, part of a drive to deepen its ties with Africa.

17. It has offered Nigeria a loan worth $6 billion to fund infrastructure projects.

18. Also, ICBC signed a $2 billion loan deal with Dangote group, to fund two cement plants it plans to build, Lin told Reuters.

19. China’s official Xinhua news agency cited President Xi as telling Buhari that there was huge potential for economic cooperation, naming

20. Naming oil, refining and mining..

21. Nigeria is also considering issuing Panda bonds (mainly Yuan denominated) as against euro bonds because they are cheaper.

This is good, better days are ahead, I'm sooo happy and hopeful right now. Nigeria shall be great again!

Miss Ngene

My simple question is "How will Nigeria generate yuan? China is not one of Nigerian main export partner so no yuan proceed is expected as export proceed Or are we going to continually swap yuan and for how long?
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:24pm On Apr 15, 2016
CSTR2:
That is exactly what should happen here.
Cheap oil for Infrastructure.
But then our government is good at Messing up good deals.
For your own sanity--- and "respect" on this forum--- DO. NOT. ENGAGE. THAT. KID. MANNY4LIFE. IN. A.DEBATE!!! He always knows a lot of nothing about everything and he will totally deviate from the actual topic. Switch to Medicine, Aeronautics , War planning, Legalese etc and watch him pretend he's an expert on EVERY subject whilst simultaneously driving you crazy.

Ignore him. That's the best advise I can give you.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by tarekamos: 4:27pm On Apr 15, 2016
DaBullIT:
Another win for Certificateless , gworo chewing Daura President

I never regretted voting for Buhari

Do you ?

Buhari is Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omenka tonyebarcanista , seun , lalasticlala

Oooh! No regret too. A school cert holder is doing what a Phd holder couldn't do. All they know is to suck the masses dry. Okonjo Iweala had said it all but unfortunately some paid agent still doesn't see anything wrong in uncle Jona administration. It shall be well with the masses of this nation. Things may appear tight today for our president but we believe that these difficulties shall soon pass away.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by sheubaba2013: 4:30pm On Apr 15, 2016
Where is fayose? He have to read this. May Allah help you baba we know you have good intention. In shaa Allah the saboteurs will not succeed.

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by 989900B: 4:30pm On Apr 15, 2016
Firefire:
I always enjoy your line of argument. Impressive, not the junks Ngene is forcing down our throats.

As you rightly argued, "... it is more about policies/laws, leadership and accountability, and if we get it right..."

I pray we get it right this time. I also expect our leaders to have study other African countries with similar move, how effective was it?

You know, if Americans were told in 1970, that over half of their Made in U.S.A. will become Made in China, and that, they will be losing their jobs to China and borrowing money from China, they wouldn't have believed.

Almost all major American companies now produce from China!

Every major company in the world manufactures from China -- almost!

To get there, China:

1. They killed/jailed their corrupt leaders.

2. Installed less corrupt ones (no one is a saint).

3. They learnt/stole from the best.

4. They created an enabling environment.

5. They worked very hard and focused!!!

And the rest is history -- we've got to replicate that -- starting from number 1.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Meriekriss: 4:30pm On Apr 15, 2016
CSTR2:
The US-Canada pipeline project is one.
A couple of US bridges also built by Chinese Contractors.
I would get the list in a moment.

Bro, you don't have to lie to prove a point.. Your naming a project that Obama denied construction permit and your claiming it was awarded to a Chinese company... I would be glad to see the list you want to make up.. Pls don't fabricate.. We ain't fools.. Google is there..
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Montaque(m): 4:31pm On Apr 15, 2016
NgeneUkwenu just got an article and divided it into numbers. well done.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:34pm On Apr 15, 2016
Empero1:

I'm a seasoned bureaucrat... an international acclaimed one at that, I have always help different many countries to get the best of deals from their counterparts without letting the initiator of the deal to subject itself to perpetual slavery in the hand of its associate country.
Anyway, my service is not for free, so for more information contact me privately.
ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOO.
How the hell did I ever miss this part of your madness when I replied you?

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Meriekriss: 4:35pm On Apr 15, 2016
Andykruiz:
Is it just me or does someone else foresees this as the beginning of Nigeria becoming an importing nation? And still, some people will celebrate as if the increase of dollar's value is solely based on Nigeria's economy. Has anyone ever stopped to ask why the former government did not go ahead with the deal with the Chinese? Nah, but we want to be gullible and standby to watch while they turn our land to a dumping ground. FYI, the Chinese don't give a "feck" about Africa! FACT!!!

Is Nigeria not an importing country already as it stands? The biggest winners here seems to be the Igbo traders that's if CBN doesn't restrict things imported and the policy isn't sabotaged... Soon a parallel market for Yaun we be created...

Finally I think this agreement isn't bad as I see it as a short term but this administration must ensure that the loan is used to actually build refineries and other capital projects as claimed if not, this will be the biggest scam.

Can someone confirm if China has a refinery we can buy refined products from using Yaun as currency for trade..

2 Likes

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Classiqharry: 4:36pm On Apr 15, 2016
IVORY2009:

If we do all our import frm "China" we would save lot of straim on local currency, have you forgotten so soon how substandard Chinese goods are? The phone you are currently using is it a Chinese phone? Be senceria with yourself, the poster only measured the merit of the agreement, but failed to include the demerit of the agreement.

Sir there are equally standard Chinese goods, it depends if SON decides to do their job. In most Western countries 80% of goods on their shelves are made in China.

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by jpphilips(m): 4:39pm On Apr 15, 2016
TheRealGEJ:

Quote me... Before the end of this year, the naira will still be devalued... We are only postponing our our days of sufferings just like the typical Nigerian... But we will still be faced with the reality!!!

If the situation necessitates that why not? the point is, the so called mainstream economists got their timing wrong, Personally, I know Nigeria hasn't gotten to that level yet. I could still remember the situation that broke Soludo, he did his best, held on for long, the longer we hold on, the better for all of us, any smart economist should know that.

The inevitable will surely come just like Venezuela but this Chinese deal is a game changer and our economy is just right for that move, once an economic turmoil comes up, smart leaders capitalize on their strength not weakness.
Buhari is capitalizing on his trade volume with China, does Ghana have the same advantage? there are economic moves that will favor Ghana that will disfavour us, eg, redenomination.

Mexico signed the NAFTA agreement not because they have so much to offer the US but because there are some strengths they wish to exploit, in this case, proximity, with a few bucks, Mexicans can cross over to work in the US on Sunday and return to their families on Friday, it is that simple.Will that be possible if Mexico is in the middle east or Africa?

It is not about noise and snide comments, the time Nigerians use to design meme, cartoon, composing unproductive whatsapp BS is enough time to study and understand how the real world works, other than insulting Mr president.

I have no problems with people who deride an unproductive president but for a Buhari that works real hard, that old man deserves some respect.
Imagine where someone that has no idea what a presidential trip is will refer to his president as a "Junketeer".
If you sum Obama and Kerry's trips this week alone, they would have been wizards by Nigerian standard. This country is in deep sh!t because majority of the beings in it are extremely hopeless.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by spinoff: 4:40pm On Apr 15, 2016
989900B:
Just so we set some things straight for the naysayers:

1. If we have xbillion amount of dollars in our reserves, it does not literally mean it's all in US dollars.

2. Even from before, we did keep some Yuan in our 'basket of currencies'.

3. We keep other currencies like GBP, Euro and some few other currencies, and gold too, they are all part of the 'reserves'.

4. We are only increasing our Yuan reserves, and trading directly, rather than going via the $ route (which is a better thing for our economy, considering we have a huge trade volume to and from China . . . times are changing, it's not like the 70s,80s, or 90s . . . the world's trade and ours from then has greatly changed. We can't be applying the monetary policies of 30 years ago in a fast evolving world -- we've gotta evolve with it).

5. China is fast becoming the country with the most investments in Africa, with Nigeria one of it's favourite destination.

6. ATM, the dollar is too strong for it's own good, and the US is worried about that too -- they'r slowly feeling the effect.

7. With the huge trade volume between both countries, it's actually stark insanity NOT to do what PMB just did with China.

8. China's loan rates are one of the cheapest in the world -- every one is borrowing from them -- the UK owes them BILLIONS ($), the US borrowed TRILLIONS ($) from them!

9. China's investment in Africa and Nigeria is estimated to triple in few years.

10 Having a good chunk of our reserves in Yuan, with the amount of imports from there, would help ease the pressure between the Naira and the dollar.

For those who worry about local manufacturing and diversification of the economy, the deal with China as regards major projects such as the 4,000 MW power plant amongst other alternative power solutions, and railway, and refineries, are just the ingredients you need to diversify.

ATEOTD, it is more about policies/laws, leadership and accountability, and if we get it right even them Chinese factories we buy from, will relocate here.

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by UndespicableMe(m): 4:40pm On Apr 15, 2016
I don't see sense in this, while not devalue the Naira against the dollar, instead of borrowing from a country that devalues their currency against the dollar.

We are excited about the currency swap, it won't solve our problems.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Firefire(m): 4:43pm On Apr 15, 2016
989900B:

You know, if Americans were told in 1970, that over half of their Made in U.S.A. will become Made in China, and that, they will be losing their jobs to China and borrowing money from China, they wouldn't have believed.

Almost all major American companies now produce from China!

Every major company in the world manufactures from China -- almost!

To get there, China:

[size=18pt]1. They killed/jailed their corrupt leaders. [/size]

2. Installed less corrupt ones (no one is a saint).

3. They learnt/stole from the best.

4. They created an enabling environment.

5. They worked very hard and focused!!!

And the rest is history -- we've got to replicate that -- starting from number 1.

I wonder when Nigeria will start killing all the corrupt and wicked souls in this country. angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wike, Fubara At Aso Villa Amid Rivers Governorship Impeachment Plot / APC Calls For The Arrest Of APDA Leaders Over Stolen Logo / Take Quit Notice Serious, MASSOB Warns Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.