Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,632 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Currency Deal With China: Things To Know - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Currency Deal With China: Things To Know (41925 Views)

Innoson Motors Signs Deal With China To Pump $1bn Into Nigeria / Ibom Deep Sea Port: Udom Emmanuel To Sign Deal With China (Pics) / Buhari Didn’t Sign Any Loan Deal With China – Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by ISpiksDaTroof: 3:16pm On Apr 15, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Please tell me when last you bought a made in Nigeria television or tab.

You guys make it look as if we were producing in large scale and this deal stopped it.

We are import dependent for finished products. This deal reduces the negative effects it has on our diminishing reserves.
The truth is most of them are not exposed / enlightened enough to understand the big impact of a move such as your country becoming the clearing house for the Yuan in Africa on Western Countries. China is aiming to takeover the world--- it will eventually--- and it has just cut Nigeria in on the deal. Anyone that says this deal is no good for Nigeria is either a mo*ron, a hater, or both.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Firefire(m): 3:17pm On Apr 15, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

We are not doing swap deal to strengthen our currency but reduce our the pressure on our reserves due to us making less dollars from Crude Oil sales.

The pressure on our reserve apart from the reduced revenue from oil, is not coming from China, but from the west. To me, the only benefits of this deal is to open the floodgate of Nigeria to all manners of importation of useless and fake products from China without any corresponding export. Why

2 Likes

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:18pm On Apr 15, 2016
Firefire:

And what happens to a simple policy to encourage economy diversification into Agriculture by providing the required equipment for large scale farming with promise of purchasing the farm produce from the farmers ?

This does not require any foreign loan, either in Chinese Yuan or Japanese Yen.

A simple statement from the government addressing the needs of local manufacturers is far better than securing unfavorable foreign loan, either for medium term benefits or long-tern gain.

Who will deliver Nigeria ?

Are we going to source the equipments to improve mechanized farming in Nigeria? We will still have to import them, which in turn means more pressure on our reserves.

With this deal, we can get the equipments for mechanized farming at a cheaper rate and also not put pressure on our dollar reserves.

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by CSTR2: 3:18pm On Apr 15, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

China also suffers in trade deficits because they source for raw materials from countries at a high rate. The trade partnership will lead to China helping us boost our raw materials mining and sourcing these materials at a cheaper rate.

This means China gets cheaper materials and we get to diversify our economy by export of solid raw materials which have not dropped in value like Crude
That is exactly what should happen here.
Cheap oil for Infrastructure.
But then our government is good at Messing up good deals.

2 Likes

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by manny4life(m): 3:19pm On Apr 15, 2016
CSTR2:
The US-Canada pipeline project is one.
A couple of US bridges also built by Chinese Contractors.
I would get the list in a moment.

You mean Keystone XL project which the last I checked (few months ago), it was blocked by the Obama Administration. Keystone Pipeline was built by an Australian company (Worley Parsons)... So please, educate me on which pipeline project was constructed by Chinese contractors? I like to learn.. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Ratello: 3:20pm On Apr 15, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
I don't understand how you clowns come on here pretending to know what you're talking about then go on to spill whatever rubbish is bubbling in your brain to the world.

" They have only succeeded in dividing Nigeria and China into Consumption/import dependent economy and Production/export economy respectively", pray tell, Sir, what was 'it' before this deal? Who was the consumer and who was the producer? Please, tell us so we can understand your supreme genius that the OP and the FG failed to recognize.

"Any policy that cannot strengthen our export base in relation to import is useless for now", and are you blind that you didn't see the deal was crafted so that infrastructures that will eventually support exports are also to be built?

"What we need is economy diversification via import substitution strategy of industrialization." Yes, Genius, you're the first person to come up with this line of thought and nobody has heard this before.

You need to shut up and stop pretending you know what you're talking about.
I have realised that you are so clueless to the level that "human faeces" will look like "porridge beans" to you.....I wondered the school you attended that did this damage to you undecided what exactly are you saying clown? That Buhari is on the right track? You need to fraternize with how the Asian Tigers came to be from a consuming to a producing economy.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:21pm On Apr 15, 2016
Firefire:

The pressure on our reserve apart from the reduced revenue from oil, is not coming from China, but from the west. To me, the only benefits of this deal is to open the floodgate of Nigeria to all manners of importation of useless and fake products from China without any corresponding export. Why

There are a lot of factors that causes us to lose Forex in our reserves and importation is a big one. The pressure on the dollar reserves is already much, so we need an alternative with Crude price low and a possibility of going lower.

The whole world Imports from China. UK, America, Canada. So the fake products talk does not stand.

What we need is increased monitoring and demand for good products.

I do not see any other alternative. If you can suggest an alternative, let me know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Ratello: 3:23pm On Apr 15, 2016
Firefire:

You are on course Sir, this is how human beings reason.

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Firefire(m): 3:24pm On Apr 15, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
The truth is most of them are not exposed / enlightened enough to understand the big impact of a move such as your country becoming the clearing house for the Yuan in Africa on Western Countries. China is aiming to takeover the world--- it will eventually--- and it has just cut Nigeria in on the deal. Anyone that says this deal is no good for Nigeria is either a mo*ron, a hater, or both.

"becoming the clearing house for the Yuan in Africa", sounds good on the long-run, but what happens to our economy on the short-run? How can this deal help close the BOP deficit widen by the reduced oil revenue and help remove Nigeria from the mono-cultural economy ?
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by 989900B: 3:25pm On Apr 15, 2016
Just so we set some things straight for the naysayers:

1. If we have xbillion amount of dollars in our reserves, it does not literally mean it's all in US dollars.

2. Even from before, we did keep some Yuan in our 'basket of currencies'.

3. We keep other currencies like GBP, Euro and some few other currencies, and gold too, they are all part of the 'reserves'.

4. We are only increasing our Yuan reserves, and trading directly, rather than going via the $ route (which is a better thing for our economy, considering we have a huge trade volume to and from China . . . times are changing, it's not like the 70s,80s, or 90s . . . the world's trade and ours from then has greatly changed. We can't be applying the monetary policies of 30 years ago in a fast evolving world -- we've gotta evolve with it).

5. China is fast becoming the country with the most investments in Africa, with Nigeria one of it's favourite destination.

6. ATM, the dollar is too strong for it's own good, and the US is worried about that too -- they'r slowly feeling the effect.

7. With the huge trade volume between both countries, it's actually stark insanity NOT to do what PMB just did with China.

8. China's loan rates are one of the cheapest in the world -- every one is borrowing from them -- the UK owes them BILLIONS ($), the US borrowed TRILLIONS ($) from them!

9. China's investment in Africa and Nigeria is estimated to triple in few years.

10 Having a good chunk of our reserves in Yuan, with the amount of imports from there, would help ease the pressure between the Naira and the dollar.

For those who worry about local manufacturing and diversification of the economy, the deal with China as regards major projects such as the 4,000 MW power plant amongst other alternative power solutions, and railway, and refineries, are just the ingredients you need to diversify.

ATEOTD, it is more about policies/laws, leadership and accountability, and if we get it right even them Chinese factories we buy from, will relocate here.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Nobody: 3:25pm On Apr 15, 2016
LemonBoy1:

brother, any source for your claims? bubu can train nigerians you know and we become the expatriates ourselves
First and foremost i am nt a brother....secondly, try reading papers cos u won't get all the loan info on nairaland.

*winks*.

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by jpphilips(m): 3:25pm On Apr 15, 2016
Seun:

It is my understanding that we already import a lot of goods from China (alibaba, etc). Most Chinese exports are priced and paid for in dollars.

Some questions for you:
1) What was preventing us from doing more of our importing from China before we decided to borrow billions of dollars from China?
2) How exactly will our borrowing billions of dollars from China cause us to suddenly start doing more of our importing from China?
3) What was preventing us from using the Yuan to pay for imports from China before we decided to borrow billions of dollars from China.
4) How exactly will borrowing billions of dollars from China cause us to suddenly start paying for Chinese goods with the Yuan instead of dollar?

Nigeria is taking a loan for infrastructural development not for the funding of FXR, I am yet to read it anywhere

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Nobody: 3:26pm On Apr 15, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:

Your comment is moronic.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by ISpiksDaTroof: 3:31pm On Apr 15, 2016
Empero1:
I What stops us from working WITH China instead of working FOR China? Why can't us become their ASSOCIATE instead of to be a SERVILE to them?

You are poor and weak, China is rich and powerful and you expect to be equals at the negotiation table?! Are you alright?

If anything you have to grateful to God for the kind of man President Buhari is for getting your country this sort of deal. Imagine if GEJ was still in power; he would've sold your country out in 10trillion different ways while also stealing whatever loan was offered the nation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Eluwilussit(m): 3:32pm On Apr 15, 2016
Emekamex:
Good move but we all should be aware that China regularly devalues their currency in bid to make their export cheaper than the USA and other European producers, that is how they stay at the top.
Here is an excerpt from business insiders.

http://www.businessinsider.com/china-currency-devaluation-just-getting-started-2016-2

I will advise the government to limit forex to be converted to Yuan to around 6-8%, given China's unethical move of always devaluing their currency whenever their economy regresses in order for us not to lose our forex value.

We are about to be scammed by China. We will wake up one morning and all our reserve in yuan is worthless. How do we believe that another nation will help us build our economy? China is in all of this for profit.

If as alleged, pmb spends $1m each trip, the money spent on over 20 foreign trips will go along way in providing some infrastructure. I had hoped he would cut down our overhead and be cautious in his spending. So far, it is still soldier go, soldier come. Fela was so right. The more things change, the more they remain the same. angry
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Firefire(m): 3:33pm On Apr 15, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Are we going to source the equipments to improve mechanized farming in Nigeria? We will still have to import them, which in turn means more pressure to our reserves.

With this deal, we can get the equipments for mechanized farming at a cheaper rate and also not put pressure on our dollar reserves.

"It is in this trade logic that an increased take-up of the yuan as a settlement currency can be envisaged in Africa, with a view to increase the value of Africa’s bilateral trade with China and that of the infrastructure projects funded by Chinese loans.
China accounts for about 20% of imports in Sub-Saharan Africa and about 15% of its exports. But using the yuan as a settlement currency makes the most sense in the sixteen African countries that send more than 20% of their exports to China and even more so in the seven, including Sierra Leone, Eritrea, Republic of Congo, Angola and Sudan, for which China accounts for 40% of total exports". http://www.afrikareporter.com/why-the-adoption-of-the-chinese-yuan-as-a-reserve-currency-in-africa-is-causing-a-stir/

You only gain correspondently, if you import 40% from China, you likewise export 15-20% to the same country.

But in the case of Nigeria, we only continue to import, and settle the massive loans + interest without any corresponding cushion from export proceeds.

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by chuksmad(m): 3:33pm On Apr 15, 2016
VocalWalls:
grin

Many of you are just saying nonsense. Is it America that hiked the price of the dollar?

The problem is with the system, how are we sure the yuan won't go as high as 80 in the parallel market?

So when it gets to that, we then jump to cefa instead of fixing the system. Are we this dull?
Try to understand the implication, what we are saying is that with conversion to Yuan directly for importers, the pressure on dollar demand will reduce. The only thing i see here is that Government is trying to reduce the demand for dollar, that will not reduce the exchange rate of dollar to Naira
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by justmenoni: 3:34pm On Apr 15, 2016
Op will there be bank rate and black market rate for the yuan cos to me this is the main problem with dollars,euro and pounds..i mean how can bank get at 199 and sell to you at 350

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by jpphilips(m): 3:37pm On Apr 15, 2016
aloeman15:

In two sentences you've summarised the entire fate of this policy and its future effect on our economy.
Our import-driven, oil-based economy.
Look, just plan for a safety net for yourself and your loved ones, because this country has just signed its economic death warrant.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by ISpiksDaTroof: 3:37pm On Apr 15, 2016
herbie27:
So to you a whole nation like Nigeria doesn't have expertise to build infrastructures?, says who?.

So, why are most schools in your country roofless? Why are the drainages relics of medieval 1st century Europe? Why are most roads substandard? Don't you have the "expertise" to do these simple things?

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Chommieblaq(f): 3:38pm On Apr 15, 2016
Seun:

It is my understanding that we already import a lot of goods from China (alibaba, etc). Most Chinese exports are priced and paid for in dollars.

Some questions for you:
1) What was preventing us from doing more of our importing from China before we decided to borrow billions of dollars from China?
2) How exactly will our borrowing billions of dollars from China cause us to suddenly start doing more of our importing from China?
3) What was preventing us from using the Yuan to pay for imports from China before we decided to borrow billions of dollars from China.
4) How exactly will borrowing billions of dollars from China cause us to suddenly start paying for Chinese goods with the Yuan instead of dollar?

You the only person seeing these transaction the way am seeing it.
Imagine signing that kind of agreement with China, that devalues their currency every now and then (that how they stay on top).
There will be no room for competition if China takes over our infrastructure repairs.

Honestly I don't like this at all buh am hoping for the best.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by focus7: 3:40pm On Apr 15, 2016
Seun:
I have no problem with trade deals, but anyone who thinks this will strengthen the naira is confused. The only thing that will strengthen the naira sustainably is if we export more (or if the price of oil recovers). Our honourable president's well intentioned voodoo economics didn't work the last time and won't work this time either. He needs to listen to mainstream economists and follow their recommendations. Economics works.
Seun I don't mind your ban, you can even make it a life ban but I must tell you that you don't have sense.

4 Likes

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by ISpiksDaTroof: 3:42pm On Apr 15, 2016
TheRealGEJ:

Nine lines, no explanation of how this deal is a life saver but a total expression of hate for your fellow human... My friend, take it or leave it, we've unknowingly signed a slave deal... Maybe we'll fight for another independence!!!
I'm pretty sure you weren't shortsighted when I told Seun I don't have the patience to start explaining this deal in layman terms. Read my posts and you'll have an idea.

Meanwhile, your friends are waiting for you in the Romance Section.

1 Like

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by hab1612(m): 3:43pm On Apr 15, 2016
[s]
Dmillionaire:
I wonder why it's so difficult for pple to understand fraud at first sight. the same stealing politicians the same policy signing for years with no physical reality. please op wake up from ur long slumber, u are tooo big 4 this shit. these pple are political criminals simple. no be today yansh begin stay for back
[/s]
We have hope in HIM. NOT all leaders are there to steal.
give him the benefit of dought. we did so to the past leader? NO B SO?
Dmillionaire giv him the benefit lik u did to others den after crucify him ko bi ko.
Rome! na one day dy build am? tal less of Nigeria wey don almost crash.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Classiqharry: 3:45pm On Apr 15, 2016
2rutalk1:
Only someone who lacks understanding of the rudiments of Economics will applaud this move. This is totally counterproductive and it will make no economic sense in the long run. For your information, this policy will perpetuate Nigeria in her already import dependency trap. They have only succeeded in dividing Nigeria and China into Consumption/import dependent economy and Production/export economy respectively. Any policy that cannot strengthen our export base in relation to import is useless for now. What we need is economy diversification via import substitution strategy of industrialization.

It is obvious the OP and indeed the FG do not understand the economic implications of this especially in the long run, hence the jubilation.

The question you should ask yourself is do we currently have the platform or enabling environment to be export based as you have suggested, the answer Is No. We have to first build our infrastructures and do we have the expertise to do that on our own, the answer again is No!
So please let's sign this contracts with people that can help us and thereafter if subsequent Govt feel we are now capable they can review the contract with China. The truth is that we Nigerians assume what we are not, ordinary decent artisans like bricklayers and painter's, we have to import cotonou boys if you want a perfect job and you are here complaining losing to China.

4 Likes

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Nobody: 3:46pm On Apr 15, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:

You are poor and weak, China is rich and powerful and you expect to be equals at the negotiation table?! Are you alright?

If anything you have to grateful to God for the kind of man President Buhari is for getting your country this sort of deal. Imagine if GEJ was still in power; he would've sold your country out in 10trillion different ways while also stealing whatever loan was offered the nation.

Sharap! What gives you the guts to ask if I'm alright! Now, to the bone of contention, I wonder where you get the idea that we're "poor and weak" obviously, you're not a good student of diplomacy.

With the abundance of natural resources that abounds in this great country, the word poor shouldn't be associated with us- China as an enterprising and industrialized country need what we have in this regard and vise versa. More so, with the intellectual resources available to us, we shouldn't be ascribed with the word weak- a sound diplomatic ground work is all we need to get things right at this juncture.

I'm a seasoned bureaucrat... an international acclaimed one at that, I have always help different many countries to get the best of deals from their counterparts without letting the initiator of the deal to subject itself to perpetual slavery in the hand of its associate country. By the way, there's something called trade by barter.

Anyway, my service is not for free, so for more information contact me privately.

4 Likes

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by modath(f): 3:46pm On Apr 15, 2016
989900B:

1. If we have xbillion amount of dollars in our reserves, it does not literally mean it's all in US dollars.

3. We keep other currencies like GBP, Euro and some few other currencies, and gold too, they are all part of the 'reserves'.

4. We are only increasing our Yuan reserves, and trading directly, rather than going via the $ route (which is a better thing for our economy, considering we have a huge trade volume to and from China . . . times are changing, it's not like the 70s,80s, or 90s . . . the world's trade and ours from then has greatly changed. We can't be applying the monetary policies of 30 years ago in a fast evolving world -- we've gotta evolve with it).

5. China is fast becoming the country with the most investments in Africa, with Nigeria one of it's favourite destination.

6. ATM, the dollar is too strong for it's own good, and the US is worried about that too -- they'r slowly feeling the effect.

7. With the huge trade volume between both countries, it's actually stark insanity NOT to do what PMB just did with China.

8. China's loan rates are one of the cheapest in the world -- every one is borrowing from them -- the UK owes them BILLIONS ($), the US borrowed TRILLIONS ($) from them!

9. China's investment in Africa and Nigeria is estimated to triple in few years.

10 Having a good chunk of our reserves in Yuan, with the amount of imports from there, would help ease the pressure between the Naira and the dollar.

For those who worry about local manufacturing and diversification of the economy, the deal with China as regards major projects such as the 4,000 MW power plant amongst other alternative power solutions, and railway, and refineries, are just the ingredients you need to diversify.

ATEOTD, it is more about policies/laws, leadership and accountability, and if we get it right even them Chinese factories we buy from, will relocate here.

Gbam! Gbammer Gbammest! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Firefire(m): 3:47pm On Apr 15, 2016
I always enjoy your line of argument. Impressive, not the junks Ngene is forcing down our throats.

As you rightly argued, "... it is more about policies/laws, leadership and accountability, and if we get it right..."

I pray we get it right this time. I also expect our leaders to have study other African countries with similar move, how effective was it?

989900B:

Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:51pm On Apr 15, 2016
Firefire:

"It is in this trade logic that an increased take-up of the yuan as a settlement currency can be envisaged in Africa, with a view to increase the value of Africa’s bilateral trade with China and that of the infrastructure projects funded by Chinese loans.
China accounts for about 20% of imports in Sub-Saharan Africa and about 15% of its exports. But using the yuan as a settlement currency makes the most sense in the sixteen African countries that send more than 20% of their exports to China and even more so in the seven, including Sierra Leone, Eritrea, Republic of Congo, Angola and Sudan, for which China accounts for 40% of total exports". http://www.afrikareporter.com/why-the-adoption-of-the-chinese-yuan-as-a-reserve-currency-in-africa-is-causing-a-stir/

You only gain correspondently, if you import 40% from China, you likewise export 15-20% to the same country.

But in the case of Nigeria, we only continue to import, and settle the massive loans + interest without any corresponding cushion from export proceeds.

With or without the loan, we are still going to import in large quantities. This means that without the loan, our dollar reserves diminishes.

So why not sign a Currency Swap deal that continues the importation, reduces the pressure on the reserves and boost our infrasructures.

The boost in infrasructures will result in more local productivity due to more jobs, power and our Refineries can result in export of refined Petroleum Products.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by LemonBoy1: 3:51pm On Apr 15, 2016
herbie27:
First and foremost i am nt a brother....secondly, try reading papers cos u won't get all the loan info on nairaland.

*winks*.

sorry sister
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Mike008(m): 3:52pm On Apr 15, 2016
Me no know the economics involved here o. People who claim to know are only claiming to know without actually knowing because their comments are vague.

Whatever this means, I believe its a good move.
China is worlds 2nd largest economy, and any business with them is good business.
Re: Currency Deal With China: Things To Know by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 15, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
So, why are most schools in your country roofless? Why are the drainages relics of medieval 1st century Europe? Why are most roads substandard? Don't you have the "expertise" to do these simple things?
You jst have a myopic view of ur Nation and i wasn't suppose to grace that with my comment.

These things you listed here are wat unskilled nigerian labourers would do.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Umahi To IGP: Remove Us From Anambra. I Don’t Know Who Smuggled Us To Awka / Odili House Invasion: Malami Kicks As Suspect Says He Works For Him / Benin City Reborn!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.