Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,432 members, 7,830,169 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari (27902 Views)

Buhari's Deputies In 1985 Vs In 2017 - By Stanley Nwabia / President Buhari States Reason Why He Was Removed From Office In 1985 / I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by neonly: 3:11pm On Apr 23, 2016
Let dis failure called bubu stop living in d past nd get a life

3 Likes

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Wesely01(m): 3:12pm On Apr 23, 2016
Jirate:
PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari has said that the naira was strong against major foreign currencies when he was military head of state as he resisted pressure to devalue it.
Speaking at a meeting with members of the Council of Retired Federal Permanent Secretaries led by Otunba Christopher Tugbobo, at the Presidential Villa, on Friday, he observed that the naira was eventually devalued when he was toppled in 1984 after 20 months in office.
He insisted that he was yet to be convinced that the vast majority of ordinary Nigerians will derive any tangible benefit from a devaluation of the naira.
A statement issued by presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina, after the meeting said Buhari explained that he still held the conviction which motivated his principled resistance to devaluation in his first tenure as Head of State.
He said: "When I was military Head of State, the IMF and the World Bank wanted us to devalue the naira and remove petrol subsidy but I stood my grounds for the good of Nigeria.
"The naira remained strong against the dollar and other foreign currencies until I was removed from office in August, 1985 and it was devalued.
"But how many factories were built and how many jobs were created by the devaluation?
"That is why I'm still asking to be convinced today on the benefits of devaluation."
Buhari welcomed the Council's pledge of support for the successful implementation of his administration's Change Agenda, especially in the priority areas of improving security, curbing corruption and revitalising the national economy.
He added: "I am glad you have rightly identified the key issues we campaigned on.
"We need a dynamic bureaucracy which will not mislead us into taking wrong decisions."
The statement recalled that the Council of Retired Federal Permanent Secretaries was established in 2004 to serve as a platform for retired permanent secretaries to offer constructive advice to government on key policy issues.
Chief Philip Asiodu, the Pioneer Chairman of the Council, said that its members want the present Administration to succeed because Nigeria has already lost many opportunities for progress.
"We are non-partisan. The interest of Nigeria is paramount to us and we are anxious that you should succeed," Asiodu said.
Source: http://www.tribuneonlineng.com/my-1984-ouster-caused-crippling-of-naira-%E2%80%94buhari

Now this is Epic, no more blaming GEJ but taken us back to 1985, please PMB this 2016 let's move forward and bring that change you promised us, thank you sir.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by vigasimple(m): 3:12pm On Apr 23, 2016
canalily:
And your re-election in 2015 has finally crumbled the Naira like dry leaves in winterundecided

He was not elected in 1985. He was a coupist criminal who did not understand the consequences of his action to open up the floodgate of subsequent military coup that destabilised Nigeria for nearly 20 years.

Imagine if anyone attempt a coup now with whatever excuses they may come up with.

His 'election' in 2015 was achieved through violence laden intimidation of GEJ administration.

He will struggle to achieve anything with the way he is going especially with his lack of economic and policy directions

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by HeavenTree: 3:13pm On Apr 23, 2016
COME..we don't care what happened in 1900. Its not our business. What is the problem now. Why were you voted Mr Man. Will we keep sitting down and blaming ppl till 2019. Time is going Oga. Do something Drastic. That what this Nation needs NOW. I am still paying transport double in my town. No Fuel..and what we are hearing is 1985.
#PMBWAKEUP.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:16pm On Apr 23, 2016
DCTrendy:
Orlando. U should not really worry nah. This is a typical Biafra thread.

Can't you see them all?

For the few educated and open minded among them, my question is How will devaluation help the vast majority of the populace?

Answer that question first, then we can begin to call PMB names later.

Educated illiterates!

I remember how universities were closed down in 1988 uptil 1989 after the protest by students against SAP. This was followed by the compulsory retirement of some lecturers. The chorus in mouth of government then was that the lecturer were "teaching what they're not paid to teach." It's horrible then.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Khaoticpsalm: 3:16pm On Apr 23, 2016
i seriously dont know what's wrong with most people here...
All he's trying to say is "if the devaluation of naira didnt have positive impart on the country then,why should we consider devaluing the naira now"but most people here too foolish to dig that

1 Like

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Adminisher: 3:19pm On Apr 23, 2016
HeavenTree:
COME..we don't care what happened in 1900. Its not our business. What is the problem now. Why were you voted Mr Man. Will we keep sitting down and blaming ppl till 2019. Time is going Oga. Do something Drastic. That what this Nation needs NOW. I am still paying transport double in my town. No Fuel..and what we are hearing is 1985.
#PMBWAKEUP.

You should pay triple this amount until you admit that your Clueless heroes Goodluck and IBB destroyed your country. Buhari is right on by blaming people, Nigerias problems are man-made. Looting on a massive scale and the lost generation like yours to lick the shit from the anUS of those who raped your country. Was the country lime this when Jonathan came in? Why did he leave it worse than he met it?.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by banme1(m): 3:19pm On Apr 23, 2016
The Old man is confused.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by xdos(m): 3:22pm On Apr 23, 2016
These same people cursing PMB for not devaluing the naira would be the same people to turn around and cry foul if he yields to the pressure from IMF and devalue the Naira.
No one has been able to give a tangible reason why he should devalue the Naira.
The naira devalued by IBB never helped Nigeria
Whether it was Diagbon who made the strong policies or not, as long as PMB was the head of state then, he allowed it. So he has every right to take the glory then.
I am neither PDP nor APC but it's good we applaud positive policies.
I stand with Buhari on 'NO' to Naira devaluation!
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by veil: 3:23pm On Apr 23, 2016
Na wa o, when we hv pple who will not even read and journalists who are misleading pple. Abeg make una read the post it will do u a whole lot of good.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Edusouls(m): 3:23pm On Apr 23, 2016
Jirate:
Blame Game continues, now IBB turn, its no longer GEJ, tomorrow it will OBJ, I don’t just know what to tell this man, he is still Stiff Neck as he was in the Early 80s. He looks to me like a Driver that is not ready to turn the Steering wheel as the Road dictates. Yeye dey Smell as them dey talk.
black monkey!
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 23, 2016
Story for sango! It's obvious idiagbon was in charge in 1984!...buhari, if u can't stand d heat quit d kitchen asap!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Edusouls(m): 3:25pm On Apr 23, 2016
KissCODE:
May God save us from leaders that cant take responsibilty.

Buhari has shown that he knows nothing than blaming this person or that person. I wonder what he hope to achieve by that.

Nigeria‘s economy of 2016 is crashing and someone is here talking about 1985. I am yet to see a person that won a marathon race using his back.

Well i think Buhari‘s problem is his advisers and speech writers. God save Nigeria.
i think u should go and restore the economy nahh? Educated illiterate...
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Adminisher: 3:26pm On Apr 23, 2016
banme1:
The Old man is confused.

Oh believe me he is not confused. He has been head of state twice. Maybe just a little older than you when he was a governor. It is you guys I am sorry for, believe me your problems have just started. Goodluck has wasted you guys. It is you and your generation that are confused and lost. It is a serious spiritual problem. They have taken away your destiny and tribalism has blinded you.
The point you are making is not even clear, Devaluation will make you lose your job , without devaluation we can use the favourable official exchange rate to build infrastructure. Tribalism is killing you guys and you don't even know Buhari is the best friend you have. Goodluck was a clueless, dumb idiot they put in government to rape you and they removed him after he has done the job. Try to emancipate yourself and get out of the stupidity business and AGAIN, it is not the old man who is confused.

1 Like

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by DCTrendy(m): 3:28pm On Apr 23, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

I remember how universities were closed down in 1988 uptil 1989 after the protest by students against SAP. This was followed by the compulsory retirement of some lecturers. Dr. Patrick Wilmot, a sociologist and a Jamaican was not only dismissed, he was also deported. The chorus in mouth of government then was that the lecturer were "teaching what they're not paid to teach." It's horrible then.

Can you imagine! I was about 6yrs old then.

Can you imagine if the same dollar is around N100 now. Life would have been so easy. Getting a degree from the States would have been around 300-400k per year instead of 3-5million Nigerians re now paying.
PMB said the truth! Why can't the US, UK, Germany etc... devalue their currencies in time of recession?

You can't devalue n remain the same! Never!

Still some people prefer this same devaluation!

GEJ lost and people should learn to live with that n give PMB a break! Judge him after the first tenure. Thatz it.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Tbest20(m): 3:33pm On Apr 23, 2016
Do u want him to devalue naira more?
KissCODE:
May God save us from leaders that cant take responsibilty.

Buhari has shown that he knows nothing than blaming this person or that person. I wonder what he hope to achieve by that.

Nigeria‘s economy of 2016 is crashing and someone is here talking about 1985. I am yet to see a person that won a marathon race using his back.

Well i think Buhari‘s problem is his advisers and speech writers. God save Nigeria.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by TheFreeOne: 3:34pm On Apr 23, 2016
amtaken:
Is there anyway the National Assembly can compel him to go for psychological evaluation to ascertain if he has the mental capacity to lead Nigeria or not. He acts retarded.

It's too late in the day to start on such journey cos that's equal to impeachment proceedings which will be difficult due to political/ethnic sentiments and with the unreasonable support from his zombies that'll be playing with fire.

Some of us foresaw what we are witnessing today hence our insistence that he's not competent to contest for president but the likes of Tinubu & co. packaged him via propaganda and lies to deceive the gullible.

His lack of mental capacity are part of the reasons his handlers didn't allow him to attend presidential debates before the elections.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by thesicilian: 3:36pm On Apr 23, 2016
VictorRomanov:

So How does this truth help the current situation? He's the messiah! we get it! But he remains so as long as he has results to show, not by what would have been.

Doesn't, actually. I'm just stating a fact.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by thesicilian: 3:37pm On Apr 23, 2016
Infinitikoncept:

So how that one take affect fuel price or dwindling economy or USD wey high pass the devaluation that Nigerians are using for trade or the fact he spent taxpayers money to take selfies in the forbidden city wey jet Li use as location.
Wake up & check around you the naira has been over devalued already & the masses are bearing the brunt so let him stop bothering us
A lot of people are of the opinion that we should give him some more time
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by ajepako(f): 3:40pm On Apr 23, 2016
queencalipso:

huuun!!! are my eyes deceiving me, is this really you or someone else?

l thought l was the only one that noticed this core buharist now insulting their demi god...

so funny how things are these days... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by ajepako(f): 3:43pm On Apr 23, 2016
musicwriter:
What's happening now is exactly what happened in 1984. Devaluation brought death to Nigeria after Buhari was over-thrown by IBB in 1985. The only thing that remains to be seen is a coup.

bros...that is exactly my fear...
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by banme1(m): 3:49pm On Apr 23, 2016
Adminisher:

Oh believe me he is not confused. He has been head of state twice. Maybe just a little older than you when he was a governor. It is you guys I am sorry for, believe me your problems have just started. Goodluck has wasted you guys. It is you and your generation that are confused and lost. It is a serious spiritual problem. They have taken away your destiny and tribalism has blinded you.
The point you are making is not even clear, Devaluation will make you lose your job , without devaluation we can use the favourable official exchange rate to build infrastructure. Tribalism is killing you guys and you don't even know Buhari is the best friend you have. Goodluck was a clueless, dumb idiot they put in government to rape you and they removed him after he has done the job. Try to emancipate yourself and get out of the stupidity business and AGAIN, it is not the old man who is confused.
can u re calibrate ur GPS equipment and maintain ur route pls.

3 Likes

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by defash8: 3:51pm On Apr 23, 2016
I still have issues with Buhari ideology, some country leaves on services. Building factories might not be suitable for Nigeria to come out of these economy woes. We all see how Telecommunication revolution brough FDI & lots of Nigerians are employed. Buhari should roll his sleeves & stop giving excuses.

2 Likes

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by fortunechy(m): 4:08pm On Apr 23, 2016
always luking for whom to blame for his failed govt

2 Likes

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by babajeje123(m): 4:09pm On Apr 23, 2016
DCTrendy:

Can you imagine! I was about 6yrs old then.

Can you imagine if the same dollar is around N100 now. Life would have been so easy. Getting a degree from the States would have been around 300-400k per year instead of 3-5million Nigerians re now paying.
PMB said the truth! Why can't the US, UK, Germany etc... devalue their currencies in time of recession?

You can't devalue n remain the same! Never!

Still some people prefer this same devaluation!

GEJ lost and people should learn to live with that n give PMB a break! Judge him after the first tenure. Thatz it.

So you want us to continue with this hardship for 3 years plus? Do you know what you are saying at all? God forbid it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by VictorRomanov: 4:09pm On Apr 23, 2016
thesicilian:

Doesn't, actually. I'm just stating a fact.

Well this is the wrong time to state facts. We need actions. I'm not expecting magic, but at least we need to see things being put in place

1 Like

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by brownemmanuel43(m): 4:15pm On Apr 23, 2016
thesicilian:
He's saying the truth

In 1984 when he left office the naira was 76kobo to the dollar, soon after IBB entered it became N2+ in 1986, and by the time IBB was through with the Nigerian economy in 1993, the naira had collapsed from 76kobo to N22+

u are on point, 1986 1 naira is = 2.02, so the old one is trying to tell us how naira was diminised
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Nobody: 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2016
who u EPP??
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Infinitikoncept(m): 4:19pm On Apr 23, 2016
thesicilian:

A lot of people are of the opinion that we should give him some more time
Naso dem tell me ooooo & I don tire. From he's just three months old & his body odor is performing wonders of electricity to without ministers baba is working. When USD hit us hard na GEJ, fuel matter na GEJ, junketeering for selfies na GEJ spoil naija image. Yet he is collecting his full salary and allowance abi? We'll probe him as well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 23, 2016
And some zombies will say this mad man is not foolish...for heavens Sake,why dwell on the past when problems are piling up and choking us all

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by KissCODE(m): 4:22pm On Apr 23, 2016
Tbest20:
Do u want him to devalue naira more?
i didnt mention anything like that in my comment.
Again naira is already devalued because market value ofcommodities are pegged bassed on 320 for a dollar. Thats by the way not my point here.

What i am saying is that PMB should stop all these finger pointing and find lasting solution for our dwindling economy. He is tired of blaming GEJ/PDP now he is on reverse gear to over 30years ago.
Gemerny has remained afloat despite whats happening in europe. The question we should be asking is what are they doing differently? Not blame games.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2019: Middle Belt Presents David Mark For President / The Ministerial List And The Long Wait / Petrol To Sell For N230 Per Litre In March –marketers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.