Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,710 members, 7,820,491 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari (27884 Views)

Buhari's Deputies In 1985 Vs In 2017 - By Stanley Nwabia / President Buhari States Reason Why He Was Removed From Office In 1985 / I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by TalkingBird: 4:23pm On Apr 23, 2016
The world in trouble! Every ruler depends on others to feed him with information which is at most lies.

Why?
(1 John 5:19) 19 We know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the [power of the] wicked one.

solution?

(Isaiah 11:2-4) And upon him the spirit of Jehovah must settle down, the spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the spirit of counsel and of mightiness, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah;  and there will be enjoyment by him in the fear of Jehovah. And he will not judge by any mere appearance to his eyes, nor reprove simply according to the thing heard by his ears.  And with righteousness he must judge the lowly ones, and with uprightness he must give reproof in behalf of the meek ones of the earth. And he must strike the earth with the rod of his mouth; and with the spirit of his lips he will put the wicked one to death.

visit
jw.org

for details
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by tushbobo(m): 4:25pm On Apr 23, 2016
It's unfortunate how people just make comments for the sake of it. There was no blame in that article... Just pointing out that devaluation has never helped us in the past. The real value is production. We do not manufacture jack so if we devalue it may not benefit us. Asides that the money we could have used as shock absorber has been frittered away during past administrations. Edwin Clark knew what he was saying when he mentioned that even drivers became billionaires under gej. No savings coupled with the oil price issue means there are few options and making a decision under pressure is mostly a bad idea.

On a personal level, it takes time to get rid of a bad habit how much more a country that has been on the wrong path for many years.
No doubt things are difficult now but it will surely get better.

2 Likes

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Odogwu042(m): 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2016
Nigeria is moving forward in the backward direction. If these Buhari loyalists act like all is well, then they are truly lying to themselves and that is the worst lie.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by KissCODE(m): 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2016
yusufbida:

Haters of PMB I ve identity you.
grin this is where we all get it wrong.
I dont like PMB but i am fully in support of his move to include yuan in our currency here.

PMB should bring economists tobrain storm on how to move Nigeria forward not blaming past leaders.
He should grow up for once.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by HeavenTree: 4:28pm On Apr 23, 2016
Adminisher:

You should pay triple this amount until you admit that your Clueless heroes Goodluck and IBB destroyed your country. Buhari is right on by blaming people, Nigerias problems are man-made. Looting on a massive scale and the lost generation like yours to lick the shit from the anUS of those who raped your country. Was the country lime this when Jonathan came in? Why did he leave it worse than he met it?.
Adminisher what are you saying now. You just said "nothing". And for me to insult you, is not in my gene and my own education does not spew THRASH online. But let me correct you, MY GENERATION IS NOT LOST as you don't know my age.
So when commenting, be reasonable and use your brain. Is Goodluck responsible for diverting PMS to border areas? Is Goodluck the Minister of Petroleum? OK, if you are confortable by blaming, alright Lets all sit down, fold our hands and be blaming our Fathers and lets not do anything. Adminisher Put pressure on the man you voted to power to wake up as sensible countries do eg Brazil.
#PMBWAKEUP
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by tushbobo(m): 4:30pm On Apr 23, 2016
It's unfortunate how people just make comments for the sake of it. There was no blame in that article... Just pointing out that devaluation has never helped us in the past. The real value is production. We do not manufacture jack so if we devalue it may not benefit us. Asides that the money we could have used as shock absorber has been frittered away during past administrations. Edwin Clark knew what he was saying when he mentioned that even drivers became billionaires under gej. No savings coupled with the oil price issue means there are few options and making a decision under pressure is mostly a bad idea.

On a personal level, it takes time to get rid of a bad habit how much more a country that has been on the wrong path for many years.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by DCTrendy(m): 4:32pm On Apr 23, 2016
tushbobo:
It's unfortunate how people just make comments for the sake of it. There was no blame in that article... Just pointing out that devaluation has never helped us in the past. The real value is production. We do not manufacturer jack so if we devalue it may not benefit us. Asides that the money we could have used as shock absorber has been frittered away during past administrations. Edwin Clark knew what he was saying when he mentioned that even drivers became billionaires under gej. No savings coupled with the oil price issue means there are few options and making a decision under pressure is mostly a bad idea.

This should solve babajeje's reply to my last post.
A driver became a billionaire when stealing was not corruption! And the govt save nothing!
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by HeavenTree: 4:41pm On Apr 23, 2016
HeavenTree:
COME..we don't care what happened in 1900. Its not our business. What is the problem now. Why were you voted Mr Man. Will we keep sitting down and blaming ppl till 2019. Time is going Oga. Do something Drastic. That what this Nation needs NOW. I am still paying transport double in my town. No Fuel..and what we are hearing is 1985.
#PMBWAKEUP.
Please is fuel bought from the moon? cos I don't know why it is very costly in my area. I wonder the kind of Moon Economics that is going on with PMS in this country. #ENDTIME
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Nobody: 4:47pm On Apr 23, 2016
Austin4lif:
Zombies come and defend your lord. Omenka and ngenenkwenu were are u ? The last time I checked a chronic zombie Beremx have been transformed to human.

Ha!ha!ha!ha!
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by amtaken(f): 4:49pm On Apr 23, 2016
I envisaged that too.

Who can bail us out from that nitwit?

TheFreeOne:

It's too late in the day to start on such journey cos that's equal to impeachment proceedings which will be difficult due to political/ethnic sentiments and with the unreasonable support from his zombies that'll be playing with fire.

Some of us foresaw what we are witnessing today hence our insistence that he's not competent to contest for president but the likes of Tinubu & co. packaged him via propaganda and lies to deceive the gullible.

His lack of mental capacity are part of the reasons his handlers didn't allow him to attend presidential debates before the elections.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by menxer: 4:53pm On Apr 23, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
With the type of youths we have today, some that posted before me, I fear for the future of Nigeria. Is it that they didn't read the OP, but just just jumped into the thread and start calling PMB names because of GEJ's loss?

PMB made reference to 1985 because he was addressing a select people on finance. May I ask, the SAP that the IMF made IBB implement, which devalued the naira, how did it help us? Even undergraduate at the time, without Harvard certificates, knew it was a doom.

Have we asked ourselves, does the IMF/World Bank love us more than ourselves, that they keep telling us what is "good" for us?

The problem is we don't "read", talk less of reading our history.

We are blinded by political bias to learn from our past mistakes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by thesicilian: 4:56pm On Apr 23, 2016
VictorRomanov:

Well this is the wrong time to state facts. We need actions. I'm not expecting magic, but at least we need to see things being put in place
There's never a wrong time for facts. Just be patient.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by VictorRomanov: 4:58pm On Apr 23, 2016
thesicilian:

There's never a wrong time for facts. Just be patient.

Ok. My dad used to have a volks wagen Santana. Thats a fact!

What about now?

Hmmm....
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by GWMI(m): 5:04pm On Apr 23, 2016
This president is really something else.You are scoring yourself some points why the whole world have gone pass your era.You are the all and all finance,Security,diplomacy,Religion, democratic values etc, you claim to be the only saint in Nigeria.Shame on APC supporters your leader is leading your party to destruction shame on you.Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by erico2k2(m): 5:05pm On Apr 23, 2016
thesicilian:
He's saying the truth

In 1984 when he left office the naira was 76kobo to the dollar, soon after IBB entered it became N2+ in 1986, and by the time IBB was through with the Nigerian economy in 1993, the naira had collapsed from 76kobo to N22+
Another Ogoro bar talk
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by 7lives: 5:07pm On Apr 23, 2016
Jirate:
Blame Game continues, now IBB turn, its no longer GEJ, tomorrow it will OBJ, I don’t just know what to tell this man, he is still Stiff Neck as he was in the Early 80s. He looks to me like a Driver that is not ready to turn the Steering wheel as the Road dictates. Yeye dey Smell as them dey talk.

If you are not up to 12 years in 1985.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by 7lives: 5:07pm On Apr 23, 2016
Jirate:
Blame Game continues, now IBB turn, its no longer GEJ, tomorrow it will OBJ, I don’t just know what to tell this man, he is still Stiff Neck as he was in the Early 80s. He looks to me like a Driver that is not ready to turn the Steering wheel as the Road dictates. Yeye dey Smell as them dey talk.

If you are not up to 12 years in 1985 you should not comment on a topic like this.

1 Like

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by SycophanticGoat: 5:09pm On Apr 23, 2016
yusufbida:

Haters of PMB I ve identity you.

Poor users of English language, I have identified you! grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by totorimi: 5:11pm On Apr 23, 2016
This is the problem with old age, when OBJ was there hardly will he complete a statement without referring to when they left office as military head of state and how bad things have become now since Buhari came into office about a year ago no statement comes out of his mouth without referring to how things were in 1983 before he was ousted.

Someone needs to remind these old dead woods that time has passed mad many water has passed under the bridge this is 2016 the millennium age and not the analog age that he operated in. They should stop taking us backward and deal with the situation on ground. We don't have the time to be wallowing in the past, if he is bereft of ideas there is a honorable path to take resign rather than mortgage the future of young men and women due to non action.

1 Like

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by judondasylva(m): 5:13pm On Apr 23, 2016
stupid man
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by pressplay411(m): 5:21pm On Apr 23, 2016
Jirate:

I'm glad u ended ur comment with yeye dey smell. Shows you're self aware.
He has to blame those who crippled the economy and of that includes GEJ and IBB he is in his right to mention them.
Imagine a 5 star hotel serving u crap after cutthroat charges, I guess someone like u would blame your tongue abi? Yeye
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Blessogede(m): 5:24pm On Apr 23, 2016
i beg pmb dont mind them, ur flight will ready in 2 hours time so that u go travel go 1364 make we know wetin dollar b that time gringrin
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by pressplay411(m): 5:27pm On Apr 23, 2016
KissCODE:
May God save us from leaders that cant take responsibilty.

Buhari has shown that he knows nothing than blaming this person or that person. I wonder what he hope to achieve by that.

Nigeria‘s economy of 2016 is crashing and someone is here talking about 1985. I am yet to see a person that won a marathon race using his back.

Well i think Buhari‘s problem is his advisers and speech writers. God save Nigeria.

Truth is bitter.
Even IBB and his family must find you people stupid for defending their crime against this nation.
This isn't even blame game cos he's taking responsibility while calling out those who brought us to this state.
If he's lying let them defend themselves and stop fighting the only person fighting for you and your country... Pls.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by tiar: 5:29pm On Apr 23, 2016
More on this topic available at https://www.judefejokwu..com

Business people around the world are shouting themselves hoarse for Nigeria to further devalue its currency. Yes, it was devalued formally in February 2015 to 200 naira from 160 naira to the dollar four - five months prior. This is a 25% devaluation.

The IMF and foreign investors want more. The logic is that this will boost revenue oil receipts in local currency terms and help the country to generate more revenue from lower oil prices.

This will also enable foreign investors to bring in $1 million and get 300 million naira instead of 199 million naira presently. Naira supply will flood the system, further spike inflation and send the naira on a further downward spiral post devaluation. The naira lost a further 10% after the CBN Governor at the time (Soludo) devalued the currency in one fell swoop in December 2008 by 25% from N120 to the $.

The failure of the government's policy to peg the naira at approximately 200 (two hundred) is due to the failure of checks and balances by various structures within the system necessary to support this policy.

The banks in Nigeria exchange dollars received at the official pegged rate and pay out dollars (debit the naira account of their customers) at the unofficial rate of 320 naira!

Businesses: Samsumg has priced its S7 Edge at the unofficial black market rate in naira. Nobody is saying anything. Airlines are doing the same thing. These same businesses will now remember there is an official rate when they decide to repatriate their proceeds.

Moneygram and Western Union do not use the official rate when someone in Nigeria wants to remit naira out and receive $ in New York. Their rate is at least 30% higher than the official rate. This rate is nowhere to be found when you walk into to receive naira based on $ sent from the USA. The official rate suddenly exist once again.

All these entities and a lot more have contributed in no small measure to sabotage the government's efforts to stabilize the naira at 200 after a 25% devaluation. When policies or laws are implemented, they can only succeed if those closest to the people support it through obedience.

People are not allowed to buy alcohol in stores if they are less than 21 years old in the USA. This is government policy. It is the liquor stores and supermarkets through their check out counters that enforce this. If these stores all come together and decide to not check identification, the law will be null and void without being voided.

Yes, the effect of the naira trading unofficially at 320 instead of 200 is being felt because of the failure to adhere to the above. There is pretty much a gang up to devalue the currency unofficially so that the official devaluation can now take place with ease as its ill effects have already been factored into the economy. This is simply put a manipulation of the currency system to force through an official devaluation by those entrusted to enforce it on behalf of the government.

Norway's largest export is CRUDE OIL and over the past two years, the Norwegian Krone has depreciated by 35% approximately to the $. Norway's foreign exchange reserves are approximately double that of Nigeria at about $57 billion. Nigeria's currency has depreciated by 25% and people with vested interests are gunning for another 50% - 60%.

Why does the world shake when China wants to devalue the yuan even by 1%? Because, China is a major global exporter of soft commodities etcetera and this typically leads to a balance of trade imbalance for other trading partners. Nigeria is not a major exporter of any soft commodity and is therefore going to negatively impact its own economy if the naira is further devalued.

The question I ask all of you: Sincerely, who does the naira's further devaluation really benefit? The Nigerian people or those not from Nigeria but, who like to do business with and make money from Nigeria while flying in and flying out? Trust me, the naira's further devaluation favors businesses in the short-run a lot more than the benefit to the Nigerian economy in the long-run.

The Central Bank of Nigeria has failed the people of Nigeria by allowing those entrusted with the responsibility of executing transactions at the official rate to not do so and get away with it. In terms of boosting non-oil exports, the Central Bank needs to exchange non-oil exports' proceeds at the unofficial rate so as to boost the incentive for farmers to expand their operations. Booming business leads to new entrants anywhere in the world. The "pure water" story in Nigeria is one worthy of a case study.

When agricultural production and exports pick up, then, Nigeria can devalue further and let the farmers reap more from increased exports. Unless Nigeria wants to continue going through this cycle every 5 - 10 years of devaluing its currency and becoming more financially dependent on foreign powers, the knee-jerk reaction of devaluation during commodity price slumps has to stop.

Kenya and Ivory Coats are classified as a bright spot in Africa now; its major exports are soft commodities. Senegal and Morocco have also been mentioned and neither are largely dependent on hard commodities as their number one foreign exchange earner.

The short-term fixes for long-term problems must stop immediately. No better time than now. For the foreign investors and their ilk, this is about naira devaluation. For the Nigerian government and its people this should be about agricultural revitalization. Sometimes there has to be pain before joy. Mothers can relate to what I am saying.

If a dog continues running towards the person whistling at it without knowing who, it becomes the town dog instead of your dog. The cycle of offering IMF aid and demanding devaluation when oil prices decline (especially to African countries) has to stop.

More information on this available at https://www.judefejokwu..com
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by 7lives: 5:31pm On Apr 23, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
With the type of youths we have today, some that posted before me, I fear for the future of Nigeria. Is it that they didn't read the OP, but just just jumped into the thread and start calling PMB names because of GEJ's loss?

PMB made reference to 1985 because he was addressing a select people on finance. May I ask, the SAP that the IMF made IBB implement, which devalued the naira, how did it help us? Even undergraduate at the time, without Harvard certificates, knew it was a doom.

Have we asked ourselves, does the IMF/World Bank love us more than ourselves, that they keep telling us what is "good" for us?

Most of them did not know why Nigerians voted for Buhari, I choose to vote him because I already knew this country is heading for recession and in a desperate need for a leader who will not allow Nigerians swallow IMFs poisoned asp.
Buhari is the reason someone like me still managed to keep my bussines, I am very grateful to him for this.
Most of them don't even knows the meaning of currency devaluation, they had better check what happened to Americans in 1929.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by tigerclaws: 5:34pm On Apr 23, 2016
OrIandoOwoh:

Zombies will tell you you can win a race running backwards or being stagnant. They will tell you baba is righting the wrongs of the previous administration by running backwards. Zombies! Just shake your head for them.

lalasticlala, seun, oam4j, FP pls
wait is it the same Orlandowoh i used to know shocked
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by EmekaBlue(m): 5:40pm On Apr 23, 2016
Somebody plz tell this man should just STFU and work or resign
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by ibisko04: 5:54pm On Apr 23, 2016
KissCODE:
May God save us from leaders that cant take responsibilty.

Buhari has shown that he knows nothing than blaming this person or that person. I wonder what he hope to achieve by that.

Nigeria‘s economy of 2016 is crashing and someone is here talking about 1985. I am yet to see a person that won a marathon race using his back.

Well i think Buhari‘s problem is his advisers and speech writers. God save Nigeria.
Making reference to the past does not mean blames.
It is just one of the ways a solutions will be finds to the present predicament.
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Leiman100(m): 5:56pm On Apr 23, 2016
TPAND:
Buhari is looking n becoming more or less like a vegetable . But I assure you, your ouster in 2019, we bring about a resuscitation of our crumbling glory.
keep dreaming
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Jimi23(m): 5:56pm On Apr 23, 2016
Have u also been sacked now because the naira has crashed beyond redemption. If u get sacked come 2019 our naira perhaps will regain its lost glory. Rubbish!
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by Jimi23(m): 5:58pm On Apr 23, 2016
Leiman100:
keep dreaming

Keep dreaming my foot! So our naira hasnt been destroyed enough!
Re: My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari by TPAND(f): 6:02pm On Apr 23, 2016
Leiman100:
keep dreaming

Yes like Martin Luther.. I will surely keep dreaming.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bode George Indicates Interest In Running For President In 2023 / Don’t Use Benin Kingdom To Catch Cruise – Kabaka Warns / Army Raids Boko-Haram Sambisa Camp In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.