Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? (2988 Views)

Predetermined Your Goals. / If God Knows What Will Happen Tomorrow, Do We Still Have Free Will? / Do We Truly Have Free Will? Does The Bible Teach It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by refiner(f): 7:06am On May 08, 2016
cc lalasticlala!
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Phemostiga(m): 11:58pm On May 09, 2016
refiner:
Good day friends and Merry Sunday!

this question have been bothering me for so long so I decided to write it down here,I might find a clear solution here!

in the bible Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus,and remember Judas betrayal was already known to God,did Judas have a choice,and should he be held responsible for betraying Jesus?

is our salvation predestined by God? or is it a result of our own free will to respond to God's grace?

could Judas Iscariot have changed his own destiny by choosing to ask God's forgiveness like peter did,instead of committing suicide?OR was he pre-destined to betray jesus and become the vessel of God's wrath?

please a matured and clear reply.....

cc lalasticlala

you are contesting for miss nairaland shey?tell me two reason y i should vote 4 u
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by refiner(f): 12:12am On May 10, 2016
Phemostiga:
you are contesting for miss nairaland shey?tell me two reason y i should vote 4 u
...yea sweety,I am!

there are numerous reasons,but I will just list two!

I wish you will vote for me because...
*...no doubt you'll be voting for beauty and brain!
*....and no doubt you'll be voting for a young sincere and humble lady...a lady with lots of extra ordinary character!

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Phemostiga(m): 12:57am On May 10, 2016
refiner:

...yea sweety,I am!

there are numerous reasons,but I will just list two!

I wish you will vote for me because...
*...no doubt you'll be voting for beauty and brain!
*....and no doubt you'll be voting for a young sincere and humble lady...a lady with lots of extra ordinary character!

smiley

which church do u attends
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by refiner(f): 1:03am On May 10, 2016
Phemostiga:
which church do u attends
RCCG dear...smiley
buh does it change a thing?
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Phemostiga(m): 1:09am On May 10, 2016
refiner:

RCCG dear...smiley

buh does it change a thing?
nt at all.i just want to no who i wish to vote 4
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by refiner(f): 1:15am On May 10, 2016
Phemostiga:
nt at all.i just want to no who i wish to vote 4
lol !

ok dear....am a member of RCCG!smiley
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Phemostiga(m): 1:19am On May 10, 2016
refiner:
lol !
you have 2 votes frome me
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Phemostiga(m): 1:21am On May 10, 2016
refiner:
lol !
i will vote for you
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by refiner(f): 1:22am On May 10, 2016
Phemostiga:
i will vote for you

lol...thanks hun...smiley
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Phemostiga(m): 1:23am On May 10, 2016
refiner:

uwc ..y aint u nt sleepin?
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Nobody: 8:56am On May 10, 2016
refiner:

how do I vote for u
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Nobody: 9:03am On May 11, 2016
It is important to note that there is a difference between pre-destination and seeing the future. Judas planned it on his own and Jesus foresaw it. The son of man was to die but it happened that his death was to come after betrayal. Judas purposed in his heart to betray him yet with him seeing that Jesus rightfully predicted his betrayal, he could have turned away from such thought seeing that his plan was known.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by refiner(f): 11:32pm On May 11, 2016
silvermania:
how do I vote for u
sent an email to u...seen?smiley
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Nobody: 7:30am On May 12, 2016
refiner:

sent an email to u...seen?smiley
yea
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by CUM4WHAT(m): 9:34pm On May 21, 2016
refiner:

this question have been bothering me for so long so I decided to write it down here,I might find a clear solution here!

in the bible Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus,and remember Judas betrayal was already known to God,did Judas have a choice,and should he be held responsible for betraying Jesus?

is our salvation predestined by God? or is it a result of our own free will to respond to God's grace?

could Judas Iscariot have changed his own destiny by choosing to ask God's forgiveness like peter did,instead of committing suicide?OR was he pre-destined to betray jesus and become the vessel of God's wrath?

cc lalasticlala

y did yu snd me a p. M
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by refiner(f): 3:17pm On May 22, 2016
CUM4WHAT:
y did yu snd me a p. M
....Merry Sunday!
replied it yet?
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by CUM4WHAT(m): 5:18pm On May 22, 2016
refiner:

....Merry Sunday!

replied it yet?
i replied by giving u my watsapp number coz i cant chat via email.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 23, 2016
davien:
Fun fact, judas died differently in the Bible... There's the part where he hung himself and the part where he bought a field with the money and God smite him dead in it...

Can you quote the supposed contradictory verses?
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by dblackninja: 7:22pm On May 23, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Supposed??
Just read Matthew 27:3-8 and
Acts 1:15-19
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Legitman22(m): 7:42pm On May 23, 2016
refiner:

cc lalasticlala

Some chapter of d bible says dat we have freewill, while some chapter says dat we were created for a purpose. Am confuse too.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by davien(m): 7:44pm On May 23, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Their vocabularies vary depending on the Bible format but it's basically; Acts 1:18 and Matthew 27:5
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by davien(m): 8:05pm On May 23, 2016
lordnicklause that error is a popular one, it's one of many that have failed reconciliation since the compilation of the texts...

In Matthew 27:3-8 , Judas returns the bribe Christians believe he had immorally accepted for handing over Jesus, throwing the money into the temple before hanging himself.
The temple priests, unwilling to return the defiled money to the treasury,used it instead to buy a field known as the Potter's Field, as a plot in which to bury strangers.

In Acts 1:18 , on the other hand, Judas, having not committed suicide out of guilt, used the bribe money to buy the field himself, and his death in the field is attributed thus: "falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his intestines gushed out."

Check @
Source : Internal consistency of the Bible (Wikipedia)
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 23, 2016
davien:
Their vocabularies vary depending on the Bible format but it's basically; Acts 1:18 and Matthew 27:5

Lol!!! There is no contradiction. Judas, through his betrayal purcahsed a field, when he hung himself, the branches broke and his intestines gushed out due to his falling headlong......
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by dblackninja: 9:13pm On May 23, 2016
davien:
lordnicklause that error is a popular one, it's one of many that have failed reconciliation since the compilation of the texts...
And it will remain so like many others..Am yet to see a Christian wriggle himself out of that one.

In Matthew 27:3-8
* Judas returned the 30 pieces of silver
* Died by hanging
* The priests bought the Potters field (Know as Field of Blood) with the money.

In Acts of the Apostles 1:18-19
* Judas didn't return the money
*Died by falling headlong [we don't know from where exactly-I prefer a maggi cube] and bursting his belly
*He bought the Field himself (called Akel Dama) with the money.

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by davien(m): 10:57pm On May 23, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Lol!!! There is no contradiction. Judas, through his betrayal purcahsed a field, when he hung himself, the branches broke and his intestines gushed out due to his falling headlong......
Amazing!.. shocked, I just told you it's a famous contradiction since the Bible compilation and all you did was paste a half-baked apologetic...

* How did Judas buy a field if he returned the money used to buy it In Matthew?

* He was remorseful in Matthew but in Acts he was "unrepentant" and god made him fall over, thus spilling his intestines in Acts..

Stop lying for the Bible, call a spade a spade... it's logically inconsistent and is against the supposed inerrancy of the bible
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Nobody: 11:56am On May 24, 2016
davien:
Amazing!.. shocked, I just told you it's a famous contradiction since the Bible compilation and all you did was paste a half-baked apologetic...

* How did Judas buy a field if he returned the money used to buy it In Matthew?

* He was remorseful in Matthew but in Acts he was "unrepentant" and god made him fall over, thus spilling his intestines in Acts..

Stop lying for the Bible, call a spade a spade... it's logically inconsistent and is against the supposed inerrancy of the bible

If the money wasn't the price for blood, the elders or the Pharisees wouldn't have bought the field................

Through his betrayal, the money became blood money........... And thus, he indirectly led to the purchase of the field
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by davien(m): 12:46pm On May 24, 2016
lordnicklaus:

If the money wasn't the price for blood, the elders or the Pharisees wouldn't have bought the field................

Through his betrayal, the money became blood money........... And thus, he indirectly led to the purchase of the field
You clearly aren't making any sense... try again.

He bought a field with the money? Yes/No

He was remorseful or unrepentant?

He died by hanging or walked on the field he bought till his intestines exploded out of his body as a punishment?

You are chasing your tail lordnicklaus... no matter your answer for any of the above, it won't match those two verses... even if you dishonestly try combining the story(like you originally did)...

Goodluck with your contradictory bible.. grin
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 24, 2016
davien:
You clearly aren't making any sense... try again.

He bought a field with the money? Yes/No

He was remorseful or unrepentant?

He died by hanging or walked on the field he bought till his intestines exploded out of his body as a punishment?

You are chasing your tail lordnicklaus... no matter your answer for any of the above, it won't match those two verses... even if you dishonestly try combining the story(like you originally did)...

Goodluck with your contradictory bible.. grin

The passage in Acts clearly says he fell headlong that is to say He was hanging before he fell.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 24, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Chisos! shockedshockedshockedshocked

I fear you Christians oooooooo

You can twist ehnnnn
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by benjibabs(m): 3:01pm On May 25, 2016
lordnicklaus:

The passage in Acts clearly says he fell headlong that is to say He was hanging before he fell.

Folks, the long and short of the report was that Judas died[i][/i] as a result of betraying Jesus (PERIOD). The reports from different people will be different a bit but the meat of the matter is still the same.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by benjibabs(m): 3:07pm On May 25, 2016
SirWere:

Chisos! shockedshockedshockedshocked

I fear you Christians oooooooo

You can twist ehnnnn

See this explanation from http://www.gotquestions.org/Judas-die.html:

Judas hanged himself in the potter’s field (Matthew 27:5), and then, after his body decayed and bloated, evidently the rope broke, and he burst into pieces on the land of the potter’s field (Acts 1:18-19). The Acts passage presumes Judas' hanging, as a man falling down in a field does not result in his body bursting open. Only decomposition and a fall from a height could cause a body to burst open. When Judas threw the thirty pieces of silver down, the priests took the money and used it to buy the potter’s field (Matthew 27:7), not knowing that Judas was going to hang himself there. Judas may not have purchased the field himself, but it was the money Judas received for betraying Jesus that purchased the field.

is that logical ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If We Are Holy, Why Does God Call Us To Be Holy? - Paul Ellis / A Very Special Sunday Gift For The Atheist / Why You Should Not Take The Pascal's Wager And Become An Athiest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.