Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? (7683 Views)

Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” / 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers / 5 Most Important Things You Need To Know About Speaking In Tongue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Naijasinglegirl: 4:34pm On Apr 24, 2016
When I was in primary school, I use to think falling down under the anointing was a gimmick by pastors and those in their inner circle to attract new members.
I invented a game I named ‘Holy Ghost abracadaba’. I took my lessons from Christ Embassy’s atmosphere for miracles TV programme. My group of friends would laugh and chant in a fake funny tongue and each of us would drop on the ground, one after the other.

One afternoon after school, the strangest thing happened when we were at our game. I think God decided to teach us a lesson for making mockery of The Holy Spirit. One of us got slain. Adaobi began speaking in real tongues and rolling on the muddy ground helplessly.
Out of fear, we all grabbed our different school bags and took to our heels.
Next day, we avoided ourselves. Adaobi never recounted what actually happened and that marked the end of The Holy Ghost abracadaba game.

Few years after, I attended a Christ Embassy branch close to my house with my kid brother and my 7 year old cousin. Towards the end of the service, the pastor called us out to receive the gift of tongues. He spent 10 minutes on me yet nothing happened. I felt like the magnitude of my sins won’t let me receive the gift of tongues. He barely touched my bro & cousin when both of them collapsed on the ground so he walked away triumphantly.

Just when I was about believing the Holy Ghost thing is not film tricks, my brother gave me the side eyes and smiled mischievously while he was still on the ground.
My cousin, on other hand dipped his hand into the pocket, produced the cabin biscuit he was served 1 hour earlier along new members and ate it right there.
I was like, “I am done!”

From then on, we became members of Christ Embassy. I use to dread prayer sessions in church. Each member would just burst into tongues and leave me stranded. I was the only one that couldn’t speak in tongues and I always felt like I was the one that crucified Jesus. Occasionally. I would count one to twenty repeatedly in my native language remixing it with a bit of French I learnt to make it sound like I was actually speaking in tongues.
I think the pastor noticed my plight and held a special session for me one month after.
The assistant pastor and 3 members of the prayer band surrounded me. They laid hands on my head, laid hands on my chest, blew me air, beat my head, and pushed my forehead in a futile attempt to make me fall.

Odeshi!

Then my brother was given the mantle to infuse the Holy Spirit in me.
I could not laugh abeg!
When he held my hands to pray, I reminded him in whispers of how he stole fish from the soup pot the previous night, how he insulted my sisters, how he cheated me in Ludo, how he told a lie a week ago, along with other sins he has committed. He was saying ‘xxxx, please stop now and allow me to concentrate.’
He got distracted and gave up on me.

Same could be said for my university days. I attended several churches and was a worker in my fellowship but I still never believed in this outer manifestation of The Holy Spirit.
But our God is patient. (2 Peter 3:9)

During my service year, I made a resolution to draw closer to God. It wasn’t easy at first, then a small tragedy happened to me that gave me no choice but to take shield in my creator.
I prayed regularly, became active in Church and studied The Word when I could but there was still an unexplainable void that lingered. When I opened up to a friend, he sent me a couple of Kenneth Hagin books.
I read ‘The Holy Spirit & You His Gifts’ and realised why the emptiness lingered. My thoughts were open to the fact that it is possible to lack the gift of the spirit even when you are born again.
This was also tied to the belief that only big pastors like Pastor Chris or Pastor TB Joshua could make the Spirit manifest in me.
In summary, I genuinely asked God one evening with an expectant heart and he gave it to me. (Luke 11: 9-13)
I wish I could write more on this but the feeling was ineffable. My intentions at the start of this post were to describe the actual experience but I am loss for words.
Over to believers reading this. Have you received the gift of the Holy Spirit?

http://www.naijasinglegirl.com/holy-spirit-gifts/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by kevoh(m): 4:41pm On Apr 24, 2016
grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by kevoh(m): 4:44pm On Apr 24, 2016
Do you mean the mumbo jumbo called shibababababorobobo ojigijigi that these Penterascals and Pastorpreneurs usually mutter? Nope, no experience.

Also know that ''falling under the annointing'' is fraught with trickery, most times people just fall since it's the normal thing to do at that particular situation. No one wants to be the odd ''unfallen'' one in the midst of other ''fallen'' sheeples. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by cassidy1996(m): 4:47pm On Apr 24, 2016
speaking tongues ni...HOLY GHOST waiting
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Omotayor123(f): 4:51pm On Apr 24, 2016
Here to Laugh.. tongue
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 24, 2016
Abeg, who 'Speaking In Tongues' don epp?

2 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Amberon: 4:56pm On Apr 24, 2016
No, I haven't. Been asking for it tho.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by MUVA(m): 5:01pm On Apr 24, 2016
I'm still yet to understand how that gibberish guarantees my prayer will be answered.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by EmperorMGI: 5:03pm On Apr 24, 2016
@Op....Your challenge was your belief in it...When your belief changed about it...you got it.

And for those,saying the baptism of the Holy Spirit is "gibberish"...One word for you all.....You are absolutely missing a lot!...that's even if you're born again already!

Quote me anywhere, You cannot compare a Spirit- filled Christian with the evidence of speaking in tongues,to one who doesn't speak!....The difference is like comparing an Ocean to a Pool.

It is God that Baptizes people and not Pastors...Look unto God!

For steps on how to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit...Quote or Pm me!

I drop my pen here!.

6 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Buharism: 5:42pm On Apr 24, 2016
the pentecost we rèfer to as the manifestation of the holy spirit was a divine event, nobody knew he was speaking in tongue, infact everybody was hearing in their own native language what the apostles were saying, but today you cant understand what the pastor or what other church members are saying while speaking in tongue.
May the good Lord show us the way to enternal life. Amen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Aremu01(m): 5:52pm On Apr 24, 2016
MUVA:
I'm still yet to understand how that gibberish guarantees my prayer will be answered.
Don't call it gibberish
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Elparaiso(m): 5:56pm On Apr 24, 2016
When your pastor keeps looking at you because you aren't "tonguing". You know he is about to conduct deliverance on you so you c0an "tongue". And that means, extra 30 minutes after service?

Ogbeni, you will speak in tongues if you love your time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Aremu01(m): 5:58pm On Apr 24, 2016
The things of the spirit is foolishness to a man of the flesh

3 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Florblu(f): 5:59pm On Apr 24, 2016
Speaking in tongues enables us to pray according to the will of the holy spirit. When you pray in tongue you pray concerning every areas of your life that needs divine touch
Speaking in tongue is awesome

2 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by uboma(m): 8:30pm On Apr 24, 2016
Florblu:
Speaking in tongues enables us to pray according to the will of the holy spirit. When you pray in tongue you pray concerning every areas of your life that needs divine touch
Speaking in tongue is awesome

What are you saying please?

Do you mean that without speaking in tongues, one's prayers will go unanswered by God?

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Florblu(f): 8:49pm On Apr 24, 2016
uboma:

What are you saying please?

Do you mean that without speaking in tongues, one's prayers will go unanswered by God?

No pls
I only said speaking in tongue is speaking directly to God 1cor 14:2 says " For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Tongue is an intimate and direct line of communication with God

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Ranchhoddas: 9:07pm On Apr 24, 2016
NSG...Call me when it enters frontpage
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by armadeo(m): 11:34pm On Apr 24, 2016
No such thing as that. It's all fake. Including being slain.

Rubbish.

However we should all seek out our salvation with fear and trembling.
Finito
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by waldigit: 5:06am On Apr 25, 2016
Naijasinglegirl:
When I was in primary school, I use to think falling down under the anointing
Out of fear, we all grabbed our different school bags and took to our heels.

Few years after, I attended a Christ Embassy branch close to my house with my kid brother and my 7 year old cousin. Towards the end of the service, the pastor called us out to receive the gift of tongues. He spent 10 minutes on me yet nothing happened. I felt like the
Just when I was about believing the Holy Ghost thing is not film tricks, my brother gave me the side eyes and smiled mischievously while he was still on the ground.
My cousin, on other hand dipped his hand into the pocket, produced the cabin biscuit he was served 1 hour earlier along new members and ate it right there.
I was like, “I am done!”

From then on, we became members of Christ Embassy. I use to dread prayer sessions in church. Each member would just burst into tongues and leave me stranded. I was the only one that couldn’t speak in tongues and I always felt like I was the one that crucified Jesus. Occasionally. I would count one to twenty repeatedly in my native language remixing it with a bit of French I learnt to make it sound like I was actually speaking in tongues.
I think the pastor noticed my plight and held a special session for me one month after.
The assistant pastor and 3 members of the prayer band surrounded me. They laid hands on my head, laid hands on my chest, blew me air, beat my head, and pushed my forehead in a futile attempt to make me fall.

Odeshi!

Then my brother was given the mantle to infuse the Holy Spirit in me.
I could not laugh abeg!
When he held my hands to pray, I reminded him in whispers of how he stole fish from the soup pot the previous night, how he insulted my sisters, how he cheated me in Ludo, how he told a lie a week ago, along with other sins he has committed. He was saying ‘xxxx, please stop now and allow me to concentrate.’
He got distracted and gave up on me.

Same could be said for my university days. I attended several churches and was a worker in my fellowship but I still never believed in this outer manifestation of The Holy Spirit.
But our God is patient. (2 Peter 3:9)

During my service year, I made a resolution to draw closer to God. It wasn’t easy at first, then a small tragedy happened to me that gave me no choice but to take shield in my c

http://www.naijasinglegirl.com/holy-spirit-gifts/

I am not surprised that your post may not get many attention. This is because many of those who even have been in Christ before you have not had your experience.
You see, knowing Christ is a wide subject and fundamentals of salvation is a bit complex. Yet I believe it can be grasp if properly presented.
Holy Ghost baptism is just one of the stages you must pass through in your journey in faith. Like a level in your university study. And there is a purpose for it. God is a God of purpose.
You need power. Act 1:8
you need coded communication method just like in real life warfare.
You need personal encounter so that you can have deep faith. All these and many more are the reasons detaire of the holy ghost baptism and its evidence is speaking in divers of tongues. Shalom.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Adortem: 4:23pm On Apr 25, 2016
I must say this,I am from an orthodox background of christianity,like others like me I never believed in it and in my pre-degree days even when I was imparted upon I never spoke in tongues,then I decide I wanted it,and a friend prayed with me,it didn't happen but happened in my dream,then I knew I could speak in tongues but I was too shy and not bold to do so even though the tongues was blasting in my heart,then a day came that I connected with the holyghost through songs in the comfort of my house and I gained the confidence to blast in tongues,halleluyah! What I have experienced after then is beyond me. So,if you don't speak in tongues don't be too critical of it because it is biblical,yearn for it,use your scriptures and gbam,you have it...

3 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Apr 25, 2016
grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by paulGrundy(m): 6:07pm On Apr 25, 2016
Mine was in my room, after reading the acts of Apostles I prayed for the infilling of the spirit till I felt my tongue loosen and then I spoke in tongues.

2 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Jozzy4: 6:39pm On Apr 25, 2016
Adortem:
I must say this,I am from an orthodox background of christianity,like others like me I never believed in it and in my pre-degree days even when I was imparted upon I never spoke in tongues,then I decide I wanted it,and a friend prayed with me,it didn't happen but happened in my dream,then I knew I could speak in tongues but I was too shy and not bold to do so even though the tongues was blasting in my heart,then a day came that I connected with the holyghost through songs in the comfort of my house and I gained the confidence to blast in tongues,halleluyah! What I have experienced after then is beyond me. So,if you don't speak in tongues don't be too critical of it because it is biblical,yearn for it,use your scriptures and gbam,you have it...

grin can u speak in tongues exactly like the apostles did at Pentecost ? Act 2:8
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Jozzy4: 6:42pm On Apr 25, 2016
Buharism:
the pentecost we rèfer to as the manifestation of the holy spirit was a divine event, nobody knew he was speaking in tongue, infact everybody was hearing in their own native language what the apostles were saying,

exactly.

but today you cant understand what the pastor or what other church members are saying while speaking in tongue.

May the good Lord show us the way to enternal life. Amen

counterfeit version of the pentecost grin grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by dolphinheart(m): 7:08pm On Apr 25, 2016
Florblu:

No pls
I only said speaking in tongue is speaking directly to God 1cor 14:2 says " For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Tongue is an intimate and direct line of communication with God

are you saying that without speaking in tongues, one cannot pray directly to God?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Florblu(f): 7:23pm On Apr 25, 2016
dolphinheart:

are you saying that without speaking in tongues, one cannot pray directly to God?

I just answered that question bro
I never said that
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:46pm On Apr 25, 2016
it was actually a funny experience for me ooooooo

Nowadays, when I notice say the prayer flow don strong wella, I go on my knees & I grab the nearest chair
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by paulGrundy(m): 8:04pm On Apr 25, 2016
Jozzy4:

exactly.

counterfeit version of the pentecost grin grin

Isaiah 28:11

For with the speech of lips [bablings], and with another tongue he will speak to this people.

Some bible concordance describes it as bablings of an infant.

Apostle Paul while making reference to that verse in 1cor 14:21-26, exhorted the people to always interpret their tongues, and he used an analogy of someone getting to a church meeting where everyone is speaking in tongues and thinks they are mad, if they were speaking in tongues of other nations, the person in Pauls analogy won't have drawn that conclusion, based on this we can conclude that there are 2 types of tongues;

1. Unknown tongue known somewhere in the world

2. Unknown tongue never heard before
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by paulGrundy(m): 8:13pm On Apr 25, 2016
Florblu:

I just answered that question bro
I never said that

Good evening grin

It seems to me that you are new here,

You see that monicker called dolphinheart, he is a jehovahs witness and he has a funny attitude of misquoting you (saying things you didn't say) and attacking that misrepresentation, that's why I don't quote him, and in your interest I advice you to do the same, else I see series of senseless comments that will result to 200 pages today. grin grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Florblu(f): 8:39pm On Apr 25, 2016
paulGrundy:

Good evening grin

It seems to me that you are new here,

You see that monicker called dolphinheart, he is a jehovahs witness and he has a funny attitude of misquoting you (saying things you didn't say) and attacking that misrepresentation, that's why I don't quote him, and in your interest I advice you to do the same, else I see series of senseless comments that will result to 200 pages today. grin grin

Smiles
Thanks bro
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by dolphinheart(m): 8:54pm On Apr 25, 2016
1 cor 14: 22-28,33

22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers.
23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all,
25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”
26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.
27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.
28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by dolphinheart(m): 8:57pm On Apr 25, 2016
Florblu:

I just answered that question bro I never said that
ok, though I never said you said it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Atheism Is A Mental Illness :charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud, Thomas Henry Huxley / Agnostics,atheists And Others Religion. Pleased Read!!! / Atheists Who Believe In The Supernatural Please Come In(discussion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.