Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,984 members, 7,814,350 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? (7705 Views)

Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” / 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers / 5 Most Important Things You Need To Know About Speaking In Tongue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Emusan(m): 11:04pm On Apr 25, 2016
Buharism:
the pentecost we rèfer to as the manifestation of the holy spirit was a divine event,

Was it only DURING DAY OF PENTECOST speaking in tongues occurred in the Bible AND has this DIVINE EVENT stopped on the day of Pentecost?

nobody knew he was speaking in tongue,

Then do people speaking in tongues today tell you they know what they're speaking?

infact everybody was hearing in their own native language what the apostles were saying,

This is the main part you people always miss, everybody was hearing them in their OWN NATIVE language AS [size=14pt]The Spirit gave them the utterance.[/size]

You people always miss the fact that it was HOW & WHAT The Holy Spirit wants them to speak THAT they speak, it's not a PATTERN and this is an evident that The Holy Spirit has A WILL

but today you cant understand what the pastor or what other church members are saying while speaking in tongue.

The Bible says: "AS The Spirit gave them utterance" Why are you fighting against The WILL of the Holy Spirit?
May the good Lord show us the way to enternal life. Amen

The Only Way to eternal life is Jesus Christ and He says "He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water, 39 But speak of the Spirit which they that BELIEVE in him should receive..."

Has this Living water sprung out of you?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by uboma(m): 4:11am On Apr 26, 2016
dolphinheart:
1 cor 14: 22-28,33

22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers.
23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all,
25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”
26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.
27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.
28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

I like these.
Please tell us more.
I have also wondered the essence of speaking in tongues when no one understands what is being said...
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Buharism: 8:46am On Apr 26, 2016
Emusan:

Was it only DURING DAY OF PENTECOST speaking in tongues occurred in the Bible AND has this DIVINE EVENT stopped on the day of Pentecost?

Then do people speaking in tongues today tell you they know what they're speaking?

This is the main part you people always miss, everybody was hearing them in their OWN NATIVE language AS [size=14pt]The Spirit gave them the utterance.[/size]

You people always miss the fact that it was HOW & WHAT The Holy Spirit wants them to speak THAT they speak, it's not a PATTERN and this is an evident that The Holy Spirit has A WILL

The Bible says: "AS The Spirit gave them utterance" Why are you fighting against The WILL of the Holy Spirit?

The Only Way to eternal life is Jesus Christ and He says "He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water, 39 But speak of the Spirit which they that BELIEVE in him should receive..."

Has this Living water sprung out of you?
Why do people attend speaking in tongue schools.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by GoodMuyis(m): 8:49am On Apr 26, 2016
Naijasinglegirl Read my experience here, and some others

www.nairaland.com/2927623/speaking-praying-tongues-please-share

If you want the Holy Ghost baptism, not speaking in tongue, you must have real hunger for him. speaking in tongue is addition to Holy ghost baptism as generally believed initial evidence.

Must be saved, Sanctified, then pray for the Experience.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Jozzy4: 9:19am On Apr 26, 2016
uboma:

I like these.
Please tell us more.
I have also wondered the essence of speaking in tongues when no one understands what is being said...

they are radio without battery grin

their so - called speakin in tongue is just an outburst of unintelligent sounds.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by dolphinheart(m): 9:53am On Apr 26, 2016
uboma:

I like these.
Please tell us more.

King James Version
1Co 14:11Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

1 cor 14: 13-19 (ESV)
13 Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. 15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also.
16 Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying?
17 For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up.
18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Adortem: 12:38pm On Apr 26, 2016
Jozzy4:

grin can u speak in tongues exactly like the apostles did at Pentecost ? Act 2:8
By God's grace,yes I can!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by luvmexy: 5:25pm On Apr 26, 2016
Mine was last year bible school in salvation ministries during d Holy Spirit class. Towards d end of d course was d Holy Spirit baptism . That very day I fasted cos I desire to Speak in tongues . The pastor told us its Jesus dat Baptist wit d gift. He prayed for us and asked us to ask Jesus for d gift, next thing I saw my self on d floor and my lips moving uncontrollable. It was a wonderful experience.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by finofaya: 5:40pm On Apr 26, 2016
I hear there are people that can even sing in tongues. Like, take your average hymn and sing it in tongues. Frankly something like that would be wonderful to behold. Forget speaking in tongues.

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Emusan(m): 7:37pm On Apr 26, 2016
Buharism:
Why do people attend speaking in tongue schools.

That's unscriptural but your earlier post ("but today you cant understand what the pastor or what other church members are saying while speaking in tongue."') didn't specify this instead attacking ALL SPEAKING in tongues this day.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Jozzy4: 9:45pm On Apr 26, 2016
Adortem:

By God's grace,yes I can!

calm down, am not talking about the unintelligible version of ra ra ra bracadoshushii.

I mean pentecost, meaning if u see a Brazilian now , can u speak brazilian tongue without you learning it ?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Adortem: 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2016
Jozzy4:

calm down, am not talking about the unintelligible version of ra ra ra bracadoshushii.

I mean pentecost, meaning if u see a Brazilian now , can u speak brazilian tongue without you learning it ?
It is a spiritual experience and you would not understand until you experience it. Guess what,the grace is already there,I wouldn't want to argue with you. God bless you.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Jozzy4: 10:41pm On Apr 26, 2016
Adortem:

It is a spiritual experience and you would not understand until you experience it. Guess what,the grace is already there,I wouldn't want to argue with you. God bless you.

when you said yes I can , i know u just dont understand my question, but now that it was explained to you, u resort to grammatical dribbles to bail urself out grin grin

anyway, God bless you too
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by misreal(m): 4:09am On Apr 27, 2016
Naijasinglegirl:
When I was in primary school, I use to think falling down under the anointing was a gimmick by pastors and those in their inner circle to attract new members.
I invented a game I named ‘Holy Ghost abracadaba’. I took my lessons from Christ Embassy’s atmosphere for miracles TV programme. My group of friends would laugh and chant in a fake funny tongue and each of us would drop on the ground, one after the other.

One afternoon after school, the strangest thing happened when we were at our game. I think God decided to teach us a lesson for making mockery of The Holy Spirit. One of us got slain. Adaobi began speaking in real tongues and rolling on the muddy ground helplessly.
Out of fear, we all grabbed our different school bags and took to our heels.
Next day, we avoided ourselves. Adaobi never recounted what actually happened and that marked the end of The Holy Ghost abracadaba game.

Few years after, I attended a Christ Embassy branch close to my house with my kid brother and my 7 year old cousin. Towards the end of the service, the pastor called us out to receive the gift of tongues. He spent 10 minutes on me yet nothing happened. I felt like the magnitude of my sins won’t let me receive the gift of tongues. He barely touched my bro & cousin when both of them collapsed on the ground so he walked away triumphantly.

Just when I was about believing the Holy Ghost thing is not film tricks, my brother gave me the side eyes and smiled mischievously while he was still on the ground.
My cousin, on other hand dipped his hand into the pocket, produced the cabin biscuit he was served 1 hour earlier along new members and ate it right there.
I was like, “I am done!”

From then on, we became members of Christ Embassy. I use to dread prayer sessions in church. Each member would just burst into tongues and leave me stranded. I was the only one that couldn’t speak in tongues and I always felt like I was the one that crucified Jesus. Occasionally. I would count one to twenty repeatedly in my native language remixing it with a bit of French I learnt to make it sound like I was actually speaking in tongues.
I think the pastor noticed my plight and held a special session for me one month after.
The assistant pastor and 3 members of the prayer band surrounded me. They laid hands on my head, laid hands on my chest, blew me air, beat my head, and pushed my forehead in a futile attempt to make me fall.

Odeshi!

Then my brother was given the mantle to infuse the Holy Spirit in me.
I could not laugh abeg!
When he held my hands to pray, I reminded him in whispers of how he stole fish from the soup pot the previous night, how he insulted my sisters, how he cheated me in Ludo, how he told a lie a week ago, along with other sins he has committed. He was saying ‘xxxx, please stop now and allow me to concentrate.’
He got distracted and gave up on me.

Same could be said for my university days. I attended several churches and was a worker in my fellowship but I still never believed in this outer manifestation of The Holy Spirit.
But our God is patient. (2 Peter 3:9)

During my service year, I made a resolution to draw closer to God. It wasn’t easy at first, then a small tragedy happened to me that gave me no choice but to take shield in my creator.
I prayed regularly, became active in Church and studied The Word when I could but there was still an unexplainable void that lingered. When I opened up to a friend, he sent me a couple of Kenneth Hagin books.
I read ‘The Holy Spirit & You His Gifts’ and realised why the emptiness lingered. My thoughts were open to the fact that it is possible to lack the gift of the spirit even when you are born again.
This was also tied to the belief that only big pastors like Pastor Chris or Pastor TB Joshua could make the Spirit manifest in me.
In summary, I genuinely asked God one evening with an expectant heart and he gave it to me. (Luke 11: 9-13)
I wish I could write more on this but the feeling was ineffable. My intentions at the start of this post were to describe the actual experience but I am loss for words.
Over to believers reading this. Have you received the gift of the Holy Spirit?

http://www.naijasinglegirl.com/holy-spirit-gifts/

yes sir,it was a wonderful experience.the holyghost came on me in my room...it is the begining of great things TO happpen in your walk with God.the bible will become real to you now.dont mind the nay sayers,they only wish to. have the same experience but are going about it the wrong way.

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by pamcode(m): 4:55pm On Apr 27, 2016
I wish to have that experience one day too.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by cooltobex(m): 2:28am On May 04, 2016
Buharism:
the pentecost we rèfer to as the manifestation of the holy spirit was a divine event, nobody knew he was speaking in tongue, infact everybody was hearing in their own native language what the apostles were saying, but today you cant understand what the pastor or what other church members are saying while speaking in tongue.
May the good Lord show us the way to enternal life. Amen

"The good Lord" doesn't need to show you the way to eternal life beyond what's written in Scripture; that is
believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and that God raised Him from the dead. That's all you need do - Romans 10:9-10.

This blog should help you understand better and grow in God: www.stillsmallvoiceblog..com
Kindly visit. God bless you.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by cooltobex(m): 2:44am On May 04, 2016
pamcode:
I wish to have that experience one day too.

Hi, please move from "wish" to "desire" and "hunger" for the holy spirit. He doesn't grant wishes, He fills those who "hunger and thirst", see Matthew 5.
Scripture notes that you will find the Lord when you SEEK Him.
So please, don't keep 'wishing' to have the experience. Hunger for it. Desire it. Pray for it. Ask the holy spirit to fill you with the thirst for Him. You'll share your testimony, believe me.
I enjoy a beautiful loving relationship with the holy spirit currently and it's all Him. Glory to God!
I blog about the gospel @ www.stillsmallvoiceblog..com
Do visit. Thank you. Remain blessed, bro.

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by cooltobex(m): 3:06am On May 04, 2016
Jozzy4:

Hi. At Pentecost, the apostles and others disciples spoke as the Holy Spirit gave them utterance (you could read it for yourself in Acts 2). And till today, those who genuinely speak in tongues as the Holy Spirit leads, speak as He gives utterance, don't call it "unintelligible".

What do you even mean by "unintelligible"? That's an insult on the Holy Spirit's person, you know!

There are two kinds of tongues the Holy Spirit gives.

One is a special gift of His called the "gift of diverse tongues" Or "different kinds of tongues" (1 Corinthians 12:10), this kind is for communicating with people of other languages. The Apostles and disciples needed it because they had to reach people from other parts of the world.

Then there's the kind everybody gets when they are baptised with the Holy Spirit, which Paul called "mysteries" in 1 Corinthians 14:2. His words, "For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him...he speaks mysteries."

So, you see the difference? One is a special gift, given to a select number, meant for communicating with man; and the other given to everyone that's baptised for speaking "mysteries" to God which no human can understand.
Thank you.

Do visit. Remain blessed.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by cooltobex(m): 3:20am On May 04, 2016
Amberon:
No, I haven't. Been asking for it tho.

Hi. How have you been "asking"? You could review that.
The Holy Spirit only comes when there's a vacuum, which means there has to be space in your heart created by a real hunger, desire and thirst. Matthew 5 gives us an idea of that.
You'll need to "hunger and thirst" after Him. The Apostles with the other disciples waited in the upper room 10 days for the Holy Spirit - that is hunger and desire!

Understand also that you can't develop such hunger and thirst on your own, you need to pray passionately for it. Ask God to birth a hunger for His spirit in you. And you'll see the difference it will make. I pray you come to know God and experience Him fully.

Do visit. Thanks.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by cooltobex(m): 3:31am On May 04, 2016
dolphinheart:

King James Version
1Co 14:11Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. 15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also.
16 Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying?
17 For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up.
18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

Hi. What point are you trying to make? Could you explain and not mislead people who may not understand, especially considering what the person you quoted posted?
Are you implying that speaking in a tongue only God understands is futile? Thank you.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Jozzy4: 11:45am On May 04, 2016
cooltobex:

Hi. At Pentecost, the apostles and others disciples spoke as the Holy Spirit gave them utterance (you could read it for yourself in Acts 2). And till today, those who genuinely speak in tongues as the Holy Spirit leads, speak as He gives utterance, don't call it "unintelligible".

What do you even mean by "unintelligible"? That's an insult on the Holy Spirit's person, you know!

I like the underlined, but the UTTERANCE of the apostles is not abubucadadadadada shidaraaaaa rarafafa , u know ? grin

There are two kinds of tongues the Holy Spirit gives.

really, two kinds ? but ur pastors could only go fot the abaracadabra type while ignoring speaking in foreign tongues ?

u must be joking man .

One is a special gift of His called the "gift of diverse tongues" Or "different kinds of tongues" (1 Corinthians 12:10), this kind is for communicating with people of other languages. The Apostles and disciples needed it because they had to reach people from other parts of the world.

where is it today ?

Can u speak in foreign tongues like the apostles did on pentecost?

Then there's the kind everybody gets when they are baptised with the Holy Spirit, which Paul called "mysteries" in 1 Corinthians 14:2. His words, "For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him...he speaks mysteries."

So, you see the difference? One is a special gift, given to a select number, meant for communicating with man; and the other given to everyone that's baptised for speaking "mysteries" to God which no human can understand.
Thank you.

Do visit. Remain blessed.

lie! lie !

the apostle paul is not supporting abracadabra at 1 cor 14:2

1 cor 14: 2-6

2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with [size=25] tongues [/size] , but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification. 6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching?

can u see the bold @ tongueS, which proves apostle Paul is discussing speaking in foreign languages ? cheesy

at1 cor 14:2, Paul said no man understands him because the person sounds like a foreigner to his listeners, hence the need for an interpreter , therefore :

"
If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me.

12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church. "

13 [size=24] For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. [/size]

1 cor 14: 11-13
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by dolphinheart(m): 1:08pm On May 04, 2016
cooltobex:

Hi. What point are you trying to make? Could you explain and not mislead people who may not understand, especially considering what the person you quoted posted?
Are you implying that speaking in a tongue only God understands is futile? Thank you.

sir, the disciples words on speaking in tongues are self explanatory.
when the disciples first spoke in tongues, it was said that the people who saw them do it where able to understand them!
can that be applied to the speaking in tongue of today? hope you will answer.

later when the apostles was talking about speaking in tongue in a congregation(church), he specified guidelines to be followed, do you follow it those guidelines today?

look at the op's , does it go along with the apostles guidelines.?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Emusan(m): 3:22pm On May 04, 2016
dolphinheart:

sir, the disciples words on speaking in tongues are self explanatory.
when the disciples first spoke in tongues, it was said that the people who saw them do it where able to understand them!
can that be applied to the speaking in tongue of today? hope you will answer.

This is my reply to someone's post above which is a gross misunderstanding of what actually happened on the day of Pentecost.

This is the main part you people always miss, everybody was hearing them in their OWN NATIVE language [size=14pt]AS The Spirit gave them the utterance.[/size] You people always miss the fact that it was HOW & WHAT The Holy Spirit wants them to speak THAT they will speak, it's not a PATTERN forever and this is an evident that The Holy Spirit has A WILL.

later when the apostles was talking about speaking in tongue in a congregation(church), he specified guidelines to be followed, do you follow it those guidelines today?

Does it come to your understanding that what Apostle Paul was talking about there, is passing a message to the congregation?

Infact Apostle Paul said "For he that speaketh in an UNKNOWN TONGUES speaketh not unto men, but unto God: [size=14pt]for NO MAN UNDERSTANDETH HIM;[/size] howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries." 1Corin 14:2

Things to notice here:
1. The language is an UNKNOWN TONGUES
2. The speaker speaks not UNTO MEN but God
3. NO MAN UNDERSTANDS the speaker but you people ALWAYS PROVE that the speaker supposed to be understood every time).

My emphasis is on point 3 'NO MAN UNDERSTANDS HIM' please if what happened on the day of Pentecost is a PATTERN everyone speaking in tongues must follow why would Apostle Paul here say again that NO MAN UNDERSTANDETH HIM?

Remember, everyone (ALL MEN) in that place understood what the Apostles were saying as you stated in your post.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by MizJanet(f): 4:11pm On May 04, 2016

mehn, see dis yeye thread o
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by MizJanet(f): 4:15pm On May 04, 2016
Emusan:

This is my reply to someone's post above which is a gross misunderstanding of what actually happened on the day of Pentecost.

This is the main part you people always miss, everybody was hearing them in their OWN NATIVE language [size=14pt]AS The Spirit gave them the utterance.[/size] You people always miss the fact that it was HOW & WHAT The Holy Spirit wants them to speak THAT they will speak, it's not a PATTERN forever and this is an evident that The Holy Spirit has A WILL.

Does it come to your understanding that what Apostle Paul was talking about there, is passing a message to the congregation?

Infact Apostle Paul said "For he that speaketh in an UNKNOWN TONGUES speaketh not unto men, but unto God: [size=14pt]for NO MAN UNDERSTANDETH HIM;[/size] howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries." 1Corin 14:2

Things to notice here:
3. NO MAN UNDERSTANDS the speaker but you people ALWAYS PROVE that the speaker supposed to be understood every time).

My emphasis is on point 3 'NO MAN UNDERSTANDS HIM' please if what happened on the day of Pentecost is a PATTERN everyone speaking in tongues must follow why would Apostle Paul here say again that NO MAN UNDERSTANDETH HIM?

Remember, everyone (ALL MEN) in that place understood what the Apostles were saying as you stated in your post.

who is confuse ? is it You or Paul ?

, please if No man is gonna understand, how will the Interpreter understand in other to interprete ?

is the interpreter not a man ?

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by MizJanet(f): 4:17pm On May 04, 2016
Emusan:

Things to notice here:

If No man is gonna understand, how will the Interpreter understand in other to interprete ?

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by MizJanet(f): 4:27pm On May 04, 2016
finofaya:
I hear there are people that can even sing in tongues. Like, take your average hymn and sing it in tongues. Frankly something like that would be wonderful to behold. Forget speaking in tongues.

lolz
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by dolphinheart(m): 5:42pm On May 04, 2016
Emusan:

King James Version
Ac 2:4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

what was the result of the utterances that the holy spirit gave them?
King James Version
Ac 2:6Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Ac 2:7And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Ac 2:8And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Ac 2:9Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
Ac 2:10Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
Ac 2:11Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Emusan , on this thread, it's the result we are talking about, not the cause. watHever the holy spirit did or hoW it did it, people could understand the language of those speaking in tongues. They even mentioned some of those languages.
can that be said about those who speak in tongues today!

Things to notice here:

Paul was giving a guideline as to how the congregation adress speaking in tongues among them.

let's look at the scriptures again:
King James Version
1Co 14:5I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

*how many times do you see interpretations alongside those that speak in tongues in churches nowadays

[b]King James Version
1Co 14:7And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
1Co 14:9So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

King James Version

*This is the consequence of speaking and those around you not understanding what you are saying

with the above in mind, he gave the congregation this guidelines:

[b]1 cor 14: 23-28, 33, 40
So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
24 But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all,
25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”
26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.
27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.
28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should KEEP QUIET in the church and speak to himself and to God.
33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.[/b]

1Co 14:40 says "Let all things be done decently and in order.", but some churches will like disorder and let outsiders think they are out of their mind, they even propagate this abackradabra on loud speakers and on TV!

now Emusan, does your church follow Pauls guidelines when speaking in tongues in the congregation.?
is their an interpreter ?
does the speaker keep quiet when their is no interpreter?

now as to the verse you quoted
King James Version
1Co 14:2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

if you speak in a language that is not understood by men, e.g speaking in swahilI to people that only understand yoruba. They will not understand you despite that you are speaking in tongue with the Holy spirit!, that is why in the congregation, an interpreter of the language you are speaking in tongue with is needed, so that you wunt be termed a babar Ian!

All men understood what the Apostles where saying based on their respective languages.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Emusan(m): 6:40pm On May 04, 2016
MizJanet:

Neither Apostle Paul nor me is confused here but only the person who couldn't grab the message the blessed Apostle is conveying.

please if No man is gonna understand, how will the Interpreter understand in other to interpret?

Then you will need to understand that there's different between SPEAKING IN TONGUES to pass message to the congregation [color=red]AND SPEAKING IN TONGUES by oneself in communicating with God. Which the blessed Apostle had thoroughly explained.

If I may ask,what happened on the day of Pentecost; were ALL THE PEOPLE speaking in tongues delivering message to themselves or they were just speaking in tongues, is there any interpreter that day or they only communicate with their God?

Not ALL SPEAKING IN TONGUES need interpretation UNLESS GOD wants to pass message to the congregation through speaking in tongue, you can be praying by speaking in tongues, does that need interpreter too?

That's why if you read Apostle Paul details about speaking in tongues it dualistic 1. Using speaking in tongues to communicate to God personally & 2. God passing a message to the congregation through that medium which needs INTERPRETER but you people confused the two together.

Go back and read that 1 Corin 14:2 slowly this time.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by MizJanet(f): 7:22pm On May 04, 2016
Emusan:

Neither Apostle Paul nor me is confused here but only the person who couldn't grab the message the blessed Apostle is conveying.

Then you will need to understand that there's different between SPEAKING IN TONGUES to pass message to the congregation AND SPEAKING IN TONGUES by oneself in communicating with God. Which the blessed Apostle had thoroughly explained.

If I may ask,what happened on the day of Pentecost; were ALL THE PEOPLE speaking in tongues delivering message to themselves or they were just speaking in tongues, is there any interpreter that day or they only communicate with their God?

Not ALL SPEAKING IN TONGUES need interpretation UNLESS GOD wants to pass message to the congregation through speaking in tongue, you can be praying by speaking in tongues, does that need interpreter too?

That's why if you read Apostle Paul details about speaking in tongues it dualistic 1. Using speaking in tongues to communicate to God personally & 2. God passing a message to the congregation through that medium which needs INTERPRETER but you people confused the two together.

Go back and read that 1 Corin 14:2 slowly this time.

you are doing a bad job defending the gibberish here, u keep saying 'Tongues ( plural) which points to multiple tongues or languages .

I think there was a place in the same passage where This same paul claims to speak MORE tongues than his colleagues . 3D evidence that tongues in this bible verses are languages . and not some gibberish

i found it 1 Corinth 14:18

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Emusan(m): 8:18pm On May 04, 2016
Honestly, with this your post I can truly see your confusion.

dolphinheart:
on this thread, it's the result we are talking about, not the cause. watHever the holy spirit did or hoW it did it,

Imaging IT did something....can inanimate do something? Anyway that's not the talk for today.

No! You can't tall about result without talking about CAUSE. The point here is, it's the Holy Spirit's WILL thats why people can understand them without the means of INTERPRETER.

people could understand the language of those speaking in tongues.

So who interpret the tongues speaking by the Apostles on the day of Pentecost?

They even mentioned some of those languages.
can that be said about those who speak in tongues today!

Like I said that's how Holy spirit wants it because according to the blessed Apostle Paul we know that someone can even speak in the tongues of angels.

now Emusan, does your church follow Pauls guidelines when speaking in tongues in the congregation.?
is their an interpreter ?

Then you only focus on speaking in tongues in the congregation when you didn't bother to ask were those speaking in tongues delivering message to the congregation or edifying themselves?

I still truly want to know the interpreter of the day of Pentecost.

does the speaker keep quiet when their is no interpreter?

Does the speaker tell you s/he is delivering message to the congregation or edifying him/herself?

now as to the verse you quoted
King James Version
1Co 14:2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

You didn't address the verse you only succeeded in giving your own interpretation to divert from the actual meaning of that verse.

if you speak in a language that is not understood by men, e.g speaking in swahilI to people that only understand yoruba.

That's not what the verse is saying.

They will not understand you despite that you are speaking in tongue with the Holy spirit!, that is why in the congregation, an interpreter of the language you are speaking in tongue with is needed, so that you wunt be termed a babar Ian!

I agree with you because i was just imaging if Holy spirit inspired somebody in Australia's congregation to speak my village language whereby the whole congregation are Australians, interpreter is also needed but what if the person only edifying his/herself? No interpretation is needed.

All men understood what the Apostles where saying based on their respective languages.

So nobody actually interpreted it but Holy spirit Himself provided the interpretation. That's why I'll repeat it that you people didn't fully understand what actually happened on the day of Pentecost. Whereas, the Bible made it clear that "everybody was hearing them in their OWN NATIVE language AS The Spirit gave them the utterance."

In conclusion, speaking in tongues is not a pattern rather AS THE SPIRIT GAVE THE UTTERANCE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? by Emusan(m): 8:32pm On May 04, 2016
MizJanet:

you are doing a bad job defending the gibberish here, u keep saying 'Tongues ( plural) which points to multiple tongues or languages .

I think there was a place in the same passage where This same paul claims to speak MORE tongues than his colleagues . 3D evidence that tongues in this bible verses are languages . and not some gibberish

i found it 1 Corinth 14:18

You're still living in your delusion.

You called it gibberish but said tongues to be a language then tell me, how many languages do you think we have in Nigeria talk less of the whole world?

How do you know that what the person is saying, isn't some people languages just because it isn't a common languages like German, French, Portuguese, Spanish e.t.c? in my village alone we have FOUR different languages.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Is Your Favorite Part Of Worship Service? / Atheists Who Believe In The Supernatural Please Come In(discussion) / See Why Religion Will Die As People Get More Intelligent.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.