Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} (54783 Views)

A U-shaped Building In Zhengzhou, Central China / Binatone Air Coolant With Remote For Sale And Ac / Distress Sales Of 2 Plot Of Land At Oniru Central, Lekki, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by NobleG1(m): 11:54pm On Apr 26, 2016
domack99:
Why is it that our Engineers don't design a central Air conditioning systems in our high rise buildings. Is it that they are not cost effective or difficult to maintain?

It's because of corruption. Have you heard about buildings collapsing in Nigeria? It happens often. They build anything as cheap as possible to have enough money to loot.

Nigerians loot money in everything, including things that would benefit them!

Don't live in any building built after 2000, unless you built it yourself and sure of its quality.

Every modern building supposed to have a central AC, but not in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by okoi001(m): 11:55pm On Apr 26, 2016
In Nigeria, we are not use to that kind of system and that doesnt mean that it cannot be done. We go with what is common around us?
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by richiepolymer(m): 11:56pm On Apr 26, 2016
Yes you are very correct. Central systems are most cost effective in terms of maintenance.

semitunde:

Bro. Those cooling systems are probably due for change. Though durable HVAC (Central AC) systems last for a much as 30 or more years; the maintenance and spare parts needed ( if the product is shipped from abroad) might become a problem.

@op the client determines (finally) if a building is going to have central AC or not.

HVAC systems have high initial financial outlay, but over time, compared to split ACs, their mmaintenance are more cost effective. Many clients however like to cut costs hence the choice for splits.

Hope you know the new senate building has been reverted to split AC system. Cost cutting measures.

3 Likes

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by semitunde: 11:57pm On Apr 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Obviously you lack the depth needed or you wouldn't have exposed yourself like this.

In an office yes but it in a residential edifice shown.

Obviously you lack comprehension ( as well as a basic sense of decency), else you'd have realised the topic(and thread) didnt specify anything about residential buldings, he only mentioned high rise buldings and added pictures as he deemed fit.

Besides, there's no rule anywhere that says split AC systems are strictly for residential building as you have so ignorantly posited; neither is there anything stoping any client who wants to have HVAC in his residential bulding. It's all down to the client's wants.

Finally, what makes you believe that is a residential building? Or that it is used as a residential building?

The fact that you are mostly rude and vacuous does not bully authenticity into your statements.

Are you a mechanical Engr?

9 Likes

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by richiepolymer(m): 12:00am On Apr 27, 2016
domack99:
Why is it that our Engineers don't design a central Air conditioning systems in our high rise buildings. Is it that they are not cost effective or difficult to maintain?

It is very cost effective in terms of maintenance .Most times we aren't eager to try something new because of the huge initial cost of installation.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by shearer1982(m): 12:01am On Apr 27, 2016
dubemnaija:
Our engineers don't think outside the box. They re always busy nairalanding

Answers to must questions sometimes is to think inside the box.!
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by banmee(m): 12:02am On Apr 27, 2016
drkay:
I don't think they are cost effective.

It is. It is just that the way we build our houses in Nigeria. It is different from the way the U.S build there's. Germany constructs their buildings same way as we do in Nigeria and they don't really do the central AC thing.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by richiepolymer(m): 12:03am On Apr 27, 2016
By the way......anyone who has projects in HVAC should feel free to contact me. Chiller maintenance, Air handlers and the likes

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by msogunro: 12:08am On Apr 27, 2016
richiepolymer:
Do you know what VRF is?

Enlighten me.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by semitunde: 12:13am On Apr 27, 2016
okoi001:
In Nigeria, we are not use to that kind of system and that doesnt mean that it cannot be done. We go with what is common around us?

There are quite a lot of buildings in Lagos alone tat have Central AC. But you won't notice it because its not what you're looking for.

Nigeria is used to tthe system, trust me.

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by ojmaroni247(m): 12:14am On Apr 27, 2016
Plz if ur not an electro-mechanical /HVAC engineer don't cum here to drag but Learn. I am such and I stand to tell u all that there r individual controls for a HVAC system, the air Dat cums from the system directly is usually at low temperature dats very cold, heat fins r fixed in every room wit regulators to adjust the cooling and heat effect, the major reason y people don't put it is wen it fails, everywer gets hot without prompt fixing it becomes a living hell. Usually a gud HVAC engineer builds two systems to support each oda jst like having two generators, presidential hotel in pH is a clear example, check the rooms. Also HVAC systems r more cost effective for sure in long term tho, they last longer if well constructed cuz it's nt sumtin u jst buy and fix, materials and measurement and calculations, size of building and space area of cooling will determine the HVAC capacity to be purchased. Hope this clears all... Thanks

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by msogunro: 12:17am On Apr 27, 2016
Gamesmart:

You think having individual units is more cost effective than a centralised unit?

Abeg, go back to school. grin grin grin grin grin grin

That is like saying 20 people having individual cars to go to the same destination is more cost effective than 20 people sharing a big bus. grin grin grin grin grin

But what if the 20 people weren't going to the same destination? Cars 1-5 want to go to Ghana. Cars 6-10 want to go to South Africa. Cars 11-15 want to go to Egypt and the remaining car was to go to Ikorodu. All cars are starting from Badagry.

This is why splits are more efficient. You let each person go where they want to go without inconveniencing others. If everyone is in the family room, why condition all the bedrooms, kitchen, and bathroom? If grandma is in her bedroom and she likes warmer temperatures and you are in the living room, but like it to be cold, don't you want grandma to be comfortable?

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 12:28am On Apr 27, 2016
amuokuko:

Hahahahaha..
See confirm mumu ooo..
Is that a google pix
Check out mine..

Reporting from Sesame Street it's....... grin

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 12:31am On Apr 27, 2016
semitunde:

Obviously you lack comprehension ( as well as a basic sense of decency), else you'd have realised the topic(and thread) didnt specify anything about residential buldings, he only mentioned high rise buldings and added pictures as he deemed fit.

Besides, there's no rule anywhere that says split AC systems are strictly for residential building as you have so ignorantly posited; neither is there anything stoping any client who wants to have HVAC in his residential bulding. It's all down to the client's wants.

Finally, what makes you believe that is a residential building? Or that it is used as a residential building?

The fact that you are mostly rude and vacuous does not bully authenticity into your statements.

Are you a mechanical Engr?

How many houses have you built for yourself that has central AC and have you ever worked on commercial HVAC in your life?

I know down there even omolanke driver is an engineer grin
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by nylawal(m): 12:32am On Apr 27, 2016
BE811APP:
Our architects are not innovative...No offense to dos in d proffession but its true

Why do u think Builders do a better Job on site and when I say Builders I mean those that didnt go to skol oo..

Now, this is a kind of thinking that belongs to the 16th century. If there are no designs would the builder just build from their heads? Or which kinds of Architects have you been patronizing? Maybe the quacks!

Anyways the consultants can specify and design which type of Ac to be installed but there is no strict control from the authorities on the kind of Ac to be installed. So the client can naturally change his mind.

...and how would you like the service charge to cost like 200-300k, with poor maintenance culture, the tenants will just go on and install individual Acs. How easy is it in Nigeria maintaining a central generator talkless of central Ac whether in residential or commercial buildings. Except for corporate clients who own the building and let out some offices or apartments.

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 12:32am On Apr 27, 2016
msogunro:

But what if the 20 people weren't going to the same destination? Cars 1-5 want to go to Ghana. Cars 6-10 want to go to South Africa. Cars 11-15 want to go to Egypt and the remaining car was to go to Ikorodu. All cars are starting from Badagry.

This is why splits are more efficient. You let each person go where they want to go without inconveniencing others. If everyone is in the family room, why condition all the bedrooms, kitchen, and bathroom? If grandma is in her bedroom and she likes warmer temperatures and you are in the living room, but like it to be cold, don't you want grandma to be comfortable?

Well said.

It's a shame that we have to teach grown up men that had internet access.

I'm sure some of them go around calling themselves engineers angry
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 12:36am On Apr 27, 2016
msogunro:

Lovely in Washington D.C.

Do you guys even have AC in DC? grin

I know they don't have in most homes in Washington and other cold states.

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by ojmaroni247(m): 12:53am On Apr 27, 2016
Pls refer to my comment above u, so u can be corrected and stop concluding, HVAC systems have individual regulators for each rooms and can be easily controlled like split unit. There is no inconvenience except u patronize an inexperienced HVAC engineering company. Grandma would sleep well with any HVAC system.
EgunMogaji:

Well said.

It's a shame that we have to teach grown up men that had internet access.

I'm sure some of them go around calling themselves engineers angry

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by semitunde: 12:54am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

How many houses have you built for yourself that has central AC and have you ever worked on commercial HVAC in your life?

I know down there even omolanke driver is an engineer grin

I've been building houses an other structures ever before your hustle to become an illegal immigrant bro. Do the math yourself. No need to blow trumpets.

And 'cos you are used to omolanke contractors, ( (and still use them); does not make all contractors or Engrs dodoyos.

I will still ask, what is your claim to anything building or construction? Is it experience? Or just google? Cos I also know every morgue cleaning, restroom cleaning "sharp naija" want to be seen as enlightened even beyond their scope.

What exactly do you know about HVAC?

4 Likes

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by InvertedHammer: 12:59am On Apr 27, 2016
domack99:
/
Really? Have you ever lived in Nigeria?

You want to transfer the inefficiency of one to all. As it is now, if your unit breaks, you are on your own. But if a central system breaks, you are at the mercy of the landlord.
\

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by msogunro: 1:02am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Do you guys even have AC in DC? grin

I know they don't have in most homes in Washington and other cold states.

Hahahaha!! You're right about that. Many of the old homes in DC have window a/c units. Luckily, I have a renovated rowhouse with central a/c. It's horrible though. These old homes were not built for central a/c. I've actually been looking into a split unit a/c.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by kellybently(m): 1:20am On Apr 27, 2016
domack99:

If this is the case, i doubt if the idea of central AC system can sell in Naija
Central A/c is used in places like mall. Not home
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by mathskill: 1:48am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

No you can't.

Yes you can. If you are ignorant about it dont embarrass your self

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 1:50am On Apr 27, 2016
mathskill:

Yes you can. If you are ignorant about it dont embarrass your self

You absolutely can't.

Instead of opening your mind and get educated you're here forming enlightened grin

The only one embarrassing himself here is you.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 1:51am On Apr 27, 2016
msogunro:

Hahahaha!! You're right about that. Many of the old homes in DC have window a/c units. Luckily, I have a renovated rowhouse with central a/c. It's horrible though. These old homes were not built for central a/c. I've actually been looking into a split unit a/c.

I hear you.

When I lived in Texas for a while I even had two systems in place.

Split system is most efficient and Nigeria got that right for making it popular.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 1:54am On Apr 27, 2016
semitunde:

I've been building houses an other structures ever before your hustle to become an illegal immigrant bro. Do the math yourself. No need to blow trumpets.

And 'cos you are used to omolanke contractors, ( (and still use them); does not make all contractors or Engrs dodoyos.

I will still ask, what is your claim to anything building or construction? Is it experience? Or just google? Cos I also know every morgue cleaning, restroom cleaning "sharp naija" want to be seen as enlightened even beyond their scope.

What exactly do you know about HVAC?

Story..just answer the question directly.

That you cobble up a structure for some uneducated client doesn't make you a well versed entity. I've seen the crap you lot call homes.

Try and get out of the gutter and answer questions posed to you.

Where are your friends? Are they going to join the fray? grin
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 1:56am On Apr 27, 2016
ojmaroni247:
Pls refer to my comment above u, so u can be corrected and stop concluding, HVAC systems have individual regulators for each rooms and can be easily controlled like split unit. There is no inconvenience except u patronize an inexperienced HVAC engineering company. Grandma would sleep well with any HVAC system.

Stop it.

You've never worked on a central HVAC in your life.

What you're describing is a commercial unit.

Nothing for me to learn from you.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by totorimi: 1:58am On Apr 27, 2016
Is it a question a Nigerian living in Nigeria should be asking. Where is the electricity to power such industrial AC. Do we have the maintenance culture, those that made a mistate to install it in their offices later went back to individaul separate installation because they cannot maintain it. Mind you is not that they dont have the money to maintain it but either the 'oyinbo' engineer that installed it has gone and no one else can support it or our usual manner of lack of maintenance affected it.

Maintenance is not in our culture therefore wise builders simply do the one they can maintain for the future.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by totorimi: 2:01am On Apr 27, 2016
Is it a question a Nigerian living in Nigeria should be asking. Where is the electricity to power such industrial AC. Do we have the maintenance culture, those that made a mistake to install it in their offices later went back to individaul separate installation because they cannot maintain it. Mind you is not that they dont have the money to maintain it but either the 'oyinbo' engineer that installed it has gone and no one else can support it or our usual manner of lack of maintenance affected it so the the damage quadrupled hence cost of repair has become same a fresh installation.

Maintenance is not in our culture therefore wise builders simply do the one they can maintain for the future
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 2:01am On Apr 27, 2016
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 2:18am On Apr 27, 2016
totorimi:
Is it a question a Nigerian living in Nigeria should be asking. Where is the electricity to power such industrial AC. Do we have the maintenance culture, those that made a mistake to install it in their offices later went back to individaul separate installation because they cannot maintain it. Mind you is not that they dont have the money to maintain it but either the 'oyinbo' engineer that installed it has gone and no one else can support it or our usual manner of lack of maintenance affected it so the the damage quadrupled hence cost of repair has become same a fresh installation.

Maintenance is not in our culture therefore wise builders simply do the one they can maintain for the future

It's actually a question that all Nigerians should be asking.

In this day and age where most people are going off grid from the power companies and going to solar and wind power, it makes sense to go with split system.

It's far easier to power an individual split system of say 1 ton than a central system of say 3.5 to 4 tons from battery.

Instead of our people to grasp solar and wind power they sit down there and complain about NEPA.

Solar powered air conditioning unit.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-powered-air-conditioning-unit/

"Most people would like to have their homes cooled by the strength of sunlight which ironically causes heat. How to achieve energy efficient cooling of your abode by harnessing sunlight?

I have successfully implemented a solar powered air conditioning unit for my living room which has been working great since June 2013 . Let me tell you how I have done it."
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by dandollaz: 2:28am On Apr 27, 2016
Diff office/flat with different generator chikena

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ikoyi Building Collapse: Onyinye Enekwe Dies One Month To Her Wedding / FLOORING: WHICH TILE SHOULD I GO FOR? AN ADVICE / Owner Of Collapsed Lagos School Building Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.