Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} (54784 Views)

A U-shaped Building In Zhengzhou, Central China / Binatone Air Coolant With Remote For Sale And Ac / Distress Sales Of 2 Plot Of Land At Oniru Central, Lekki, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:15am On Apr 27, 2016
semitunde:

I honestly don't know what informed their decision for that. But whatever, the new building might end up not too different (at least in height ) from the former building. Quite a siseabl amount of the scope has been cut down. Cost cutting.
The school wouldn't on its own have embarked on the building because it's unnecessary: It's being built by the CBN.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by martinsaba: 8:20am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Na so the thing dey pain you? grin

And how do you regulate individual zones in residential HVAC?

I believe you have a working device that is connected the internet, do some research and stop asking silly question.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 27, 2016
martinsaba:

I believe you have a working device that is connected the internet, do some research and stop asking silly question.

Ditto.

But unlike you I have unlimited data and probably why you're not able to do the proper research on your end grin

So I take it that you lack the depth to provide data to backup your claim then.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Qc1(m): 8:33am On Apr 27, 2016
engrdubem:
Many reasons,chief is epileptic power supply....shikena.

^^^
Right on the money!

[s]
Lets say you have a 6 bedrooms house with 3 living rooms and you want a regular split AC in the bedrooms and maybe a Stand alone in the living rooms, you will need maybe 3 giant Micano to power all your AC's. Why because your N2m generator can only power one stand alone(8HP) and maybe 4 the bedrooms too. You will need something like 50 KVA generator to do this, not to talk about the the money for fuel. To power all the stand alone you will probably need 3x50 KVA gen.

Now imagine a central HVAC with a 1000 BTU (or 100 HP) when there's no electricity supply?[/s]

NOTE : sorry I'm not an expert I stand corrected.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Jabia(m): 8:34am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

No you can't.

Yes you can.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by amuokuko: 8:36am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Reporting from Sesame Street it's....... grin

Let me help u laugh it aloud, Hahahahahahhahahah grin grin grin grin

I hope u ve seen the number of knowledgeable people informing you it can be done, so learn nd stop living in medieval age..
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by toseman(m): 8:38am On Apr 27, 2016
But most shopping malls of international brands do use use central AC sytems nah...shoprite and co

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 27, 2016
toseman:
But most shopping malls of international brands do use use central AC sytems nah...shoprite and co

Yes they do but those are commercial units and can be zoned so different areas have different temperatures.

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by martinsaba: 8:58am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Ditto.

But unlike you I have unlimited data and probably why you're not able to do the proper research on your end grin

So I take it that you lack the depth to provide data to backup your claim then.

MR unlimited data, you have so why ask me, Bro I've got no time to trade words, please am busy with work, if you really want explanation, come to the site where we are working @ikoyi(kingsaway Rd) or better still visit VACC office later in the day)
Cheers
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Chukazu: 10:19am On Apr 27, 2016
domack99:
Why is it that our Engineers don't design a central Air conditioning systems in our high rise buildings. Is it that they are not cost effective or difficult to maintain?

this is an eyesore!
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Originalsly: 10:24am On Apr 27, 2016
I guess central air is not an option mainly because of unstable electricity supply. In trying to transfer what is done in the US to Nigeria we need to consider that in the US the supply of electricity is reliable, cheap and the current is stable....does not fluctuate. How long would the motors stand up to Nigeria's erratic and unstable current supply?....and what happens when the motor is down?...how quickly can that be fixed?.... generators yes...would they be cost effective? I still wonder why architects keep using cold climate model buildings designed to trap heat instead of using designs that allow for natural air ventilation especially when they know the power supply problem. Looking at the pictures I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out if the ac units were an after thought and just stuck in the walls by novices... or that was part of the building plans.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by opedinho: 10:42am On Apr 27, 2016
It's very simple, a Central HVAC is most cost effective and each room can have it's own thermostat regulator in adjusting the temperature, looking at the building alone, you might say it's not done by a Chartered Architect. We are fond of asking a draftsman to handle the job of an architect , just to reduce cost, it's a poor design, i must say.. Clearly i did d math now, and the energy consumption of the building alone is not funny.

# Work with Professionals like certified Int'l & National body members, if you need a good job..

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by daygee12: 10:58am On Apr 27, 2016
tutu28:
is less efficient and de cost of it installation and maintenance is high......infact is an old system
its not an old system, its only expensive and the maintenance cost is high. u can check out all shoprites across the country and also big buildings they use this hvac system.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by hollowpot15684(m): 11:31am On Apr 27, 2016
domack99:

I believe with central Ac system you can also regulate individual room temperature as well

but once one outdoor gets damaged it doesn't just affect a person... it affect the whole rooms ventilated at a time...
I think they are more suitable for offices not residents
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by hollowpot15684(m): 11:36am On Apr 27, 2016
Originalsly:
I guess central air is not an option mainly because of unstable electricity supply. In trying to transfer what is done in the US to Nigeria we need to consider that in the US the supply of electricity is reliable, cheap and the current is stable....does not fluctuate. How long would the motors stand up to Nigeria's erratic and unstable current supply?....and what happens when the motor is down?...how quickly can that be fixed?.... generators yes...would they be cost effective? I still wonder why architects keep using cold climate model buildings designed to trap heat instead of using designs that allow for natural air ventilation especially when they know the power supply problem. Looking at the pictures I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out if the ac units were an after thought and just stuck in the walls by novices... or that was part of the building plans.

exactly!!! such thoughts come to my brain too especially when I'm faced with the problem of repairing a split unit hunged on the building just outside where there is no space for maitenance, this mistakes occurs in most buildings I've seen.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 27, 2016
Dude I just followed you...lots of insight you are sharing here...I want to replicate a similar system for my home
EgunMogaji:

It's actually a question that all Nigerians should be asking.

In this day and age where most people are going off grid from the power companies and going to solar and wind power, it makes sense to go with split system.

It's far easier to power an individual split system of say 1 ton than a central system of say 3.5 to 4 tons from battery.

Instead of our people to grasp solar and wind power they sit down there and complain about NEPA.

Solar powered air conditioning unit.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-powered-air-conditioning-unit/

"Most people would like to have their homes cooled by the strength of sunlight which ironically causes heat. How to achieve energy efficient cooling of your abode by harnessing sunlight?

I have successfully implemented a solar powered air conditioning unit for my living room which has been working great since June 2013 . Let me tell you how I have done it."

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Gamesmart: 1:26pm On Apr 27, 2016
msogunro:

But what if the 20 people weren't going to the same destination? Cars 1-5 want to go to Ghana. Cars 6-10 want to go to South Africa. Cars 11-15 want to go to Egypt and the remaining car was to go to Ikorodu. All cars are starting from Badagry.

This is why splits are more efficient. You let each person go where they want to go without inconveniencing others. If everyone is in the family room, why condition all the bedrooms, kitchen, and bathroom? If grandma is in her bedroom and she likes warmer temperatures and you are in the living room, but like it to be cold, don't you want grandma to be comfortable?

You are not serious. grin

Even at your analogy, it would still be more cost efficient to use one bus for all journeys, instead of having 5 different cars go to Ghana, another 5 different cars go South Africa and another 5 different ......and so on. grin

Or you don't know the difference in meaning between "cost efficiency" and "inconvenience/comfortability"? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by tsdarkside(m): 2:27pm On Apr 27, 2016
Originalsly:

pahhh...they never planned acs to start wait...all they like to do is to admire the western world....

they never thought of creating a house-model specialy designed for africa......

copying europe,thats all what they do......

a european model in africa will sweat a lot and perfect for bacterias to grow....

you dont wear a thick jacket in africa like in europe,you go sweat die.......
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by BilginMuh(m): 2:38pm On Apr 27, 2016
l suggested for an 11 floor hotel; but Oga said that, "if a room need repair, others can work and we may repair a room's AC; but if it is central system and it needs repair, all hotel will be effected; and life term of things are short in Nigeria because of power supply problems.

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by msogunro: 2:42pm On Apr 27, 2016
Read more at this link - http://www.bobjenson.com/blog/fight-cool-ductless-vs-central-air-conditioning/

Ductless vs Central Air Conditioning

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 2:48pm On Apr 27, 2016
tooltip:
Dude I just followed you...lots of insight you are sharing here...I want to replicate a similar system for my home

Eya thanks but please I hope I don't offend you as I get into a lot of e-fights on here with incorrigible elements of Nairaland grin

I'll hate for you to have to read those.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 27, 2016
BilginMuh:
l suggested for an 11 floor hotel; but Oga said that, "if a room need repair, others can work and we may repair a room's AC; but if it is central system and it needs repair, all hotel will be effected; and life term of things are short in Nigeria because of power supply problems.

Oga is right, split system is more efficient.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 27, 2016
martinsaba:

MR unlimited data, you have so why ask me, Bro I've got no time to trade words, please am busy with work, if you really want explanation, come to the site where we are working @ikoyi(kingsaway Rd) or better still visit VACC office later in the day)
Cheers

Story story ..... grin

You are busy with saving the world but yet here you are.

Better go queue for your petrol cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 3:03pm On Apr 27, 2016
Originalsly:

A simple whole house surge protector and conditioner will solve voltage irregularities.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 27, 2016
amuokuko:

Let me help u laugh it aloud, Hahahahahahhahahah grin grin grin grin

I hope u ve seen the number of knowledgeable people informing you it can be done, so learn nd stop living in medieval age..

It simply can't be done grin

I know it kills you to do your own research but I'm here to force your hand.

How were the mosquitos last night? And the heat? grin
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 27, 2016
tsdarkside:

pahhh...they never planned acs to start wait...all they like to do is to admire the western world....

they never thought of creating a house-model specialy designed for africa......

copying europe,thats all what they do......

a european model in africa will sweat a lot and perfect for bacterias to grow....

you dont wear a thick jacket in africa like in europe,you go sweat die.......

I did.

My main house that's under construction has a 500 square feet internal courtyard with an open roof.

I'll consider it a major failure in design if I install any HVAC system in it.

It's a solar powered design and will have whole house fans in it.

We can't blame it all on architects, homeowners need to step up to the plate too.

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by tsdarkside(m): 3:21pm On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I did.

My main house that's under construction has a 500 square feet internal courtyard with an open roof.

I'll consider it a major failure in design if I install any HVAC system in it.

It's a solar powered design and will have whole house fans in it.

We can't blame it all on architects, homeowners need to step up to the plate too.

very good bros.....think before you act...

our engineers can learn alot from you.........very clueless people,all around....

dont blame the landowners...

am sure your prototype is not even more expensive then those that our architects sell to our homeowners.....

imagien....they bring in expantiarts to advice us and pay them in dollars......imagine.....they make it unpayable.......

why the hell should i pay someone in dollars in nigeria,when i can build it more cheaper and more better in nairas.....??...

its better we start forgeting this expantirats-rubbish......pay them in nairas,or let them get lost!!!!!.....

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by amuokuko: 3:22pm On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It simply can't be done grin

I know it kills you to do your own research but I'm here to force your hand.

How were the mosquitos last night? And the heat? grin

This dude must be speaking from experience...
Well, they informed me they have deposited Zika into ur blood stream..

U did die soon but prayed with them to retrieve the virus..
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 3:25pm On Apr 27, 2016
amuokuko:

This dude must be speaking from experience...
Well, they informed me they have deposited Zika into ur blood stream..

U did die soon but prayed with them to retrieve the virus..

Eya...the thing pain you reach make you wish me death so? grin

There's no mosquitos here Oga. But you knew that and you're just flailing wildly in a futile attempt to score cheap points cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by amuokuko: 3:35pm On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Eya...the thing pain you reach make you wish me death so? grin

There's no mosquitos here Oga. But you knew that and you're just flailing wildly in a futile attempt to score cheap points cheesy

Mosquito can't even survive here either tongue

Can see you the first guy to travel out from ur village, cous you ve been announcing it all ova the thread..

We ain't competing to be vexed with you, how am I even sure u re not programmed...

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by semitunde: 4:22pm On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Yet no ones knows squat about r, Abdul, Skimanski, Aventures even EgbosaJohnny we know.

You're a frustrated non entity grin

An alleged civil engineer that thinks he's a qualified HVAC engineer. Na wa for Nigeria.

Better stop lying to yourself and go load your passengers for motor park grin

Wait a minute, you didn't use mortuary attendant in this last post, are you getting soft already? grin

I suspect you derive online, some sense of self worth that you have never gotten in real life.

You really need to get a life.

Childishly quoting people's monikers here to elicit some sort of mob reaction won't help you. Wallowing in a juvenile " we know ourselves" online self-importance won't help you in real life. I hope for those people's career that they've not formed a group with you.

Tell me you relationship with mechanical engineering that makes you an authority on HVAC.

Posting easily gotten Google pics isn't same as credence in technical issues, apply wisdom, keep quiet next time.

P.s. I also studied Mechanical Engineering.

"He that knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a f00l, shun him".

4 Likes

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by semitunde: 4:38pm On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Why anyone would give any job to someone as close minded as you escapes me.

We know the movers and shakers on Nairaland and your name is not on the list grin

You're not even fit to build a house for my Dog.

Why you are so openly idiotic escapes me. People half your age are doing legitimate businesses both home and abroad and your are here doing jack of trades beyond your competence.

What do you mean by movers an shakers of naira land?! Mr Egungun Calabar. cheesy. Smh.

Anyways, I'm sure you're used to doing "egun mogaji" to people around you. One day they'll be liberated.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ikoyi Building Collapse: Onyinye Enekwe Dies One Month To Her Wedding / FLOORING: WHICH TILE SHOULD I GO FOR? AN ADVICE / Owner Of Collapsed Lagos School Building Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.