Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,700 members, 7,827,566 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43452 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Bearshare(m): 6:06pm On Feb 12, 2010
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 6:17pm On Feb 12, 2010
Bearshare:

From all i have read here, i dont think the change of law had anything to do with one tithing. Tithing has been well established as something that started in the ancient b4 people like moses came. infact Jesus did not even put a stop to it rather he rebuked those who practised it wrongly.

well there were several established practises such as burnt offerings and circumcision that were practised before the law and they are not pat of christianity today so your argument doesn't hold water. We have to realise that it is not everything in the bible especially old testament that was directed to christians hence we would be practising Judaism today. The apostles were the ones mandated by christ to teach christianity and they never for once taught tithing amongst several other defunct and obsolete jewish doctrines. They even made it clear to christians that they were not bound to follow this jewish teachings. You can be rest assured that if tithing was meant to be a christian practise at leaset one of the apostles would have put it in their writtings and it won't be left till over 500 years later for the catholics to smuggle into christianity throught the back door.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Bearshare(m): 6:29pm On Feb 12, 2010
Tonye-t:

Mr. Enigma angry or Eczema lipsrsealed, angry

Everyone true christian knows that that word "I change not" reflects to EVERY PART AND FEATURES OF THE GODHEAD, and that means that what he was to the pre=abrahamic people, he also was to Abraham and the mosaic/ jew aes as well as we the CHRISTIANS. meaning if he accepted their sacrifices and blessed them accordingly means HE STILL ACCEPTS SACRIFICES AND BLESSES US ACCORDINGLY, even thought the modes/form of our sacrifices may differ because we are different from the people of old. stop getting it wrong here.! angry angry

Which if the circumcision are you asking? because as far as i know, we are still being circumsized although not in the form of cutting the foreskin but in the form of cutting away the old skin (called the old man) and living in the new skin (called life in the spirit).

Phil 3:3 -" For we [Christians] are the true circumcision , who worship God in spirit and by the Spirit of God . . ."AMP

So you see, circumcision still does exist but not in the form of the people of old, just like 2day we give offerings in money(s) whereas those of old gave offerings in livestocks. At least we should know what we argue about b4 we do.

would you be kind to read this, circumcision still exists but in a different form, burnt offering still exist but in a different form as well as tithing
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 6:47pm On Feb 12, 2010
Bearshare:

would you be kind to read this, circumcision still exists but in a different form, burnt offering still exist but in a different form as well as tithing

The highlighted word was smuggled in there by you Mr. beashare (one of my spellcheck options want to call you 'timeshare' smiley)because I don't see burnt on Kunle's response. Circumcision exists today not as a requirement but as accepted practice and not for Justification which doesn't make those who refuse to do so condemned. Do you "worship" in the Temple in Jerusalem still? What does Jesus Christ dying on the Cross do for you? why do you not follow the Jews and maintain the Sabbath?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 5:26pm On Apr 27, 2010
A young graduate gave a tenth of his NYSC stipend to a widow in expectation of what God will do and it happened he got a job last week.

Guess who that person was? me smiley smiley

Tithing is real and to me, its more than real
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by aletheia(m): 6:57pm On Apr 27, 2010
Permit me to rewrite this:
Gentle me:

A young graduate gave a part of his NYSC stipend to a widow in expectation of what God will do and it happened he got a job last week.

Guess who that person was? me  smiley smiley

You haven't tithed according to the version propounded by modern prosperity teachers because it didn't go to your "Pastor".
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Image123(m): 7:19pm On Apr 27, 2010
^
You couldn't see past that he didn't donate it in the church. If he had said that he tithe in church and got a job, you might have said like me, that people get and lose jobs daily irrespective of whether they tithe. An unbalanced weight is ABOMINATION before Jehovah
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by aletheia(m): 7:28pm On Apr 27, 2010
Image123:

^
You couldn't see past that he didn't donate it in the church. If he had said that he tithe in church and got a job, you might have said like me, that people get and lose jobs daily irrespective of whether they tithe. An unbalanced weight is ABOMINATION before Jehovah

Take it easy. I only pointed out that he wasn't following the teaching on tithes as taught by majority of tithe teachers today. Why does that anger you?

P.S. In giving to those who are poor and in need, one is following the command to love. It is your affair entirely if you choose to call it tithe or some other name. What I am against is the twisting of scriptures to suggest that those redeemed by Christ are under a curse just because they do not remit a tenth of their income to some man-made organization or self-acclaimed MOG.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by petres007(m): 9:24pm On Apr 27, 2010
aletheia:

Take it easy. I only pointed out that he wasn't following the teaching on tithes as taught by majority of tithe teachers today. Why does that anger you?

P.S. In giving to those who are poor and in need, one is following the command to love. It is your affair entirely if you choose to call it tithe or some other name. What I am against is the twisting of scriptures to suggest that those redeemed by Christ are under a curse just because they do not remit a tenth of their income to some man-made organization or self-acclaimed MOG.

So on point! cheesy
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Ndipe(m): 10:22pm On Apr 27, 2010
belabela:

Let me begin by saying today many "christians" in quote are not brethren. Jesus did not call us christians, unbelievers did. He called us brethren i.e brothers and sisters because we are co heirs with him. He is the only begotten of the father and we (brethren, now popularly called christians) are adopted children of the father. Hence we are children of God, and Christ is the firstborn.

Now to whether tithing is necessary or not, I would like to do a little exposition on the subject, tithe.

Abraham was the first person to give tithe as recorded in the bible. He was not commanded to do so. He just gave it to the King of Salem, an act of gratitude to God

However at a time God commanded that Isrealites must pay their tithe of everything to the Priest ( the levites) so that there may be food in His house. And until Jesus died the law of tithing was valid.

Now that Jesus had died, and has given us the grace of sonship, should we still pay tithe?

To answer this question, I would like to inform you that there are dispensations in the human cycle. Many believe we have 7 dispensations others claims it's 3 dispensations. However whether 3 or 7 one thing is generally agreed upon; we are in the dispensation of grace preceeding the dispensation of the Kingdom.

In the new testament church tithe was not an issue infact one may want to conclude that they didnt pay tithes. What is emphasised in the dispensation of grace is that we owe our ALL to God. If we pay our tithe it is good and God would accept it. However the scriptures teaches us to give as we have purposed in our hearts. If I may say God expects us to give more than our tithe. And  since we are no longer under the law tithe doesnt make us more righteous if we pay it because our righteousness is not obtained through the law but through Christ.

If a believer gives God a 5% ,God would accept it, if it's 10% he would accept it, if it's 100% he would accept it. I know in many churches today just like the financial institutions may pastors have financial targets and thus are saying all they can to get money of their members pockets.

But note that in the new testament all believers ( brethren) are priests and Christ is our high priest. i.e we all have access to the father 1Pet. 2:9

Let us not be quick to attribute God's blessings to money it is an act of belittling God afterall he blesses even the unbelievers who don't pay tithe. Being a christian doesnt necessarily mean you will enjoy financial riches. There are a lot of factors that contribute to that.

I dont like typing long stories, but really there are a lot of things to say. In conclusion, you probably had bad experience because you broke covenant with God ( not necessarily because you didnt pay your tithe), but because you left what you had purposed in your heart to give to him just because somebody says don't give. If you pay your tithe, it's a good practice, and if you dont pay "tithe" you are not condemned as long as you worship God with your substance ( whatever you have purposed in your heart to give)

God bless you

Good Answer
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Image123(m): 11:15pm On Apr 27, 2010
Alethia
There's nothing to take easy. I just quoted scripture and showed you what you did, simple.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by nuclearboy(m): 6:20am On Apr 28, 2010
@Image123:

To show you what Aletheia is saying that you seem to have misunderstood, go through the first few verses of Deut 26 and see God's directives concerning the tithe and WHO it belongs to.

Again, Christ is the Head, we are the body. Together then, we make up one person, right? Each person (being spiritual) lives in a body. When Mal 3 says bring all the tithes into my house, does it not make sense that you bring it into the body of Christ and help the needy just as the Apostles did? Everyone in the body is part of Christ, not just your pastor! Help the needy, not a greedy pastor driving 3 SUVs and requesting cash to build a 50, 000 seat capacity air-conditioned designer auditorium when members of his congregation trek to work and church and cannot pay their bills. Do you take care of just your nose? or bathe just your head leaving the rest to stink. Or treat wounds only in your hands leaving those on your feet to rot?

Note that Deut 26 does what the Apostles did. Everyone shared - the poor, stranger, widow and fatherless. It was only after these got that the apostles may have considered themselves and we do not even have a single example that they did.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 12:29pm On Apr 29, 2010
aletheia:

Permit me to rewrite this:
You haven't tithed according to the version propounded by modern prosperity teachers because it didn't go to your "Pastor".

The most important issue is that i tithed becos it is part of our responsibility as children of God to give, and that's all that matters.!

Image123:

^

Thank you, you made sense

aletheia:

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Image123(m): 4:34pm On Apr 29, 2010
nuclearboy
I'm not going to get into this tithe 'tussle', at least not now. You go and read your Bible, all of it. You may start with Hebrews 7 for example.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 4:40pm On Apr 29, 2010
@image123
Hebrew 7 clearly nullifies tithing especilly verses 11,12 & 18. Try looking for another scripture to quote out of context to support your daily bread.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Image123(m): 5:49pm On Apr 29, 2010
^bla bla bla. Tithe, the way to go! Go and read too kunle
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Image123(m): 5:50pm On Apr 29, 2010
^bla bla bla. Tithe, the way to go! Go and read and pray and repent and fast kunle. grin
stop accusing of whatisnot
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Ndipe(m): 1:33am On Apr 30, 2010
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Enigma(m): 7:56am On Apr 30, 2010
Ndipe:

Saw this on the internet
http://www.layhands.com/MustChristiansTitheTenPercent.htm

Good find!
cool
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 10:03am On Apr 30, 2010
Image123:

^bla bla bla. Tithe, the way to go! Go and read and pray and repent and fast kunle. grin
stop accusing of whatisnot

You are the one that needs to repent of scamming people off ten percent of their earnings, tongue grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by olaitang: 12:19pm On Apr 30, 2010
in Hebrew chap.7vs1 referred to the life of Abraham about tithing in the new T, also the Apostles tithed with diverse materials eg Act 5vs,1~5,the word says ,if the foundation is destroyed,what can the righteous do,what is the foundation bible is talking about?it!s laid down by God himself from beginning.,we should let the Holy spirit the us the true interpretation of the bible rather than canal thoughts,i was presenting a Christan programme on one faithfull sunday when a sister called regarding payment of tithes,she said no ,my pastor,it old and it is in the time old in the old testament that people paid their tithes,Then i said you sister if you pay your tithe,devourer will stop visiting your treasury,if not,cankerworms are already knocking at your door, she replied no sir,because "no weapon fashioned against my shall prosper",i asked the sister the word that has just been spoken by you ,where did it comes from?mnmnmnmnn , it!s Isaiah,i said but that word is found in the old testament ,is old,why must it work for you? ladies and Gentle men,we coloured/twist the bible to sweet our purpose,let us therefore,ask God whenever we are confused about a certain thing,God bless you all {Shepperd in Charge PRAISE CREATION/YIN OLUWA Parish,ccc uk}
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 12:58pm On Apr 30, 2010
I thought this thread was created to share testimonies of God's blessings on tithers and not meant to creat brawls, even the OP said he used to be amongst the wagon of non-tithers and things got so bad not until he realised God's message and blessings tied to tithing.

The mysterious thing about this tithing is that all those who tithe especially in knowledge of the subject always come back to share testimonies. hmmm non-tithers pls there is a blessing tied to the subject, and i even read somewhere where someone even discovered that tithing was not even mentioned as a law, so what is the "tithing and law connection" really all about? undecided undecided
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Bearshare(m): 9:38am On Jul 28, 2010
Some pay tithes others dont pay tithe and yet everyone is blessed, i wonder why those who pay will quarrel those who dont, i wonder why those who dont will also quarrel those who do. this is why christianity is being bastardized everyday because of our incessant brawl. pity! cry cry cry
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 12:41pm On Jul 28, 2010
I see the tithe merchant tonye-tithes has resucitated his useless and fraudulent thread using his "gentle me" psydeunym.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Image123(m): 1:05pm On Jul 28, 2010
Which one be 'psydeunym' again o? Is that your baptismal istamic name?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 2:44pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^^ help me ask Kunle Oshomole again o! i wonder when Tonye-t became gentleme and has now become Bearshare. what i know is that Tithing remains a practise because Jesus said it in Matt. 23:23

when i saw this thread i laffed, because i know hades will be all out for its destruction. dont worry i hate multi-IDs, until then enjoy your ride with your shadow ID ogajim (mr.America) grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by omoimole: 9:33am On Nov 15, 2010
hmmmm! my opinion is let us do what we believe. you believe in tithing, go on with it. if you dont, it is your decision. god will sort everyone out.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by crossman9(m): 3:22am On Feb 09, 2012
he is a fraud and most are con men the only good i have seen is redeemed church of God in Nigeria! this Dr fireman is fake and going to hell this fire man Sam preacher is going to need to learn fire fighting skills for real he is a gate keeper for the sons of hell with his get quick rich gospel he will rent rooms with (Pastor Chris, Oyakhilome) (Pastor. Anita, Oyakhilome) and many more like T.B Joshua which I have renamed tuberculosis Joshua with his brand of witch craft Christianity there only after power and money Christ is just a word in their mouths these people have turn people away from the beauty of the gospel and its true meaning it was to redeem man from a sin state not to turn a fast buck  angry shocked tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry cool like many others like this one Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo
(KiCC) church London Nigerian church Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo

We are Commanded in the Bible not to make Money out of the Gospel
Here are all the scriptures
Matthew 10:5-20
Matthew 10:7As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near.'
Matthew 10:8Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.
Matthew 10:9Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts;
Matthew 10:10take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep.
Matthew 10:11"Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave.
Matthew 10:12As you enter the home, give it your greeting.
(N.I.V) 1 Corinthians 9:18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it.
(K.J.V) 1 Corinthians 9:18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
1 Corinthians 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
2 Corinthians 2:17 (New International Version,)
(N.I.V) 2 Corinthians 2:17 Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.
2 Corinthians 2:17 (King James Version)
2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
2 Corinthians 11:6 I may indeed be untrained as a speaker, but I do have knowledge. We have made this perfectly clear to you in every way. 7 Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge?

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
2 Peter 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
New Living Translation (©2007)
2 Peter 2:3 In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.
Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
2 Peter 2:3 And by greed and fictitious accounts they will make profit among you, these whose judgment from the first has not been idle and their destruction does not sleep.

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by plappville(f): 10:53pm On Mar 17, 2012
Christ did not focus on tithing even if it was still valid, it was not the most important for him.
He could ve really capitalise on tithing if it was the most. As long as Christ did not condenm tithing, we ought not to neglect it.
But it should be a (song in the church today) ""Pay ur tithe, pay ur tithe abundant blessing is awaiting u, pay ur tithe)"" hahaha, so funny puting much worries in peoples heart.
Let everyone who believe he's truely blessing God do so my his or her self. Wrong to sing in thier ears. The tithe is not paid because one needs to get it back.
That shouldnt be the aim.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 07, 2012
Jagoon: @tonye t
Why are you wasting your time on this tithe issue? It as already been clearly established on this forum several times that tithing is not a true christian doctrine a it was introduced to christianity as a result of greed on the part of preachers thru distortion of scriptures.
Agreed!It was introduced in 1895 by pastor Robert G.Williams of Wesley Chapel, Cincinnati Ohio USA when their Church ran out of money.Before then there was no such teaching that believers must tithe in the new covenant.
Malachi3:9 placed a curse on non-tithers but Gal.3:13 says we are redeemed from the curse of the law/
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 6:28am On Dec 05, 2012
God standard no dey change o..He just changes situation and cirmcumstances...Give and it Shall be given unto u..The truth is tithers are blessed and testimonies abound to that effect..am a proof of it..as for anti-tithers me i know no..and i no send..lol
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Goshen360(m): 6:52am On Dec 05, 2012
^^^ And God's people are breaking loose from tithe falsehood for Christians. Why don't you check the poll and see for yourself. Tithers are not "blessER" than non-tithers for our high priesthood don't demand tithe as per-requisite to bless us under the New Covenant.

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye Kissing His Wife, Foluke (Photos) / Why Do Christians Ignore These Rules In The Bible? / "Your Colleagues Will Come To You For Food" - Adeboye's Prophecy Sparks Outrage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.