Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,977 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! (35079 Views)

One Hallelujah Records Will Not Partner With Secular Artistes – RCCG / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? / Can I Listen To Secular Music/clubbing And Still Be A Devoted Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 12:21pm On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. Let me explain. Time zones are nothing special but simply a creation of man. Humans thought of a way to harmonize the whether of a place, as a result of earth's rotation, with the time it will fall in another place. So, it's easy for dawn to set at 6 pm, in equinox, or some other time, in solstice, in every place.
Thanks which means that your brother that fell in the gutter may already be dead by the time you're able to reach his +1 environ from your -6 and not yet to fall in a gutter. Time continues irrespective of the time zone. So you can't use it analogously to time travel.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 12:22pm On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
You should call it a fantasy of science and really Philosophers. I don't think a philosopher will ever agree with such SciFi.

lol....philosophers are broader than scientist- they ask all questions- both the fantasy and the real
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 12:22pm On May 05, 2016
For now , the closest thing we have gotten to timE travel is time dilation e. G the iss which allows astronauts to experience time slowing down but only by a few milliseconds
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 12:22pm On May 05, 2016
urahara:
Jackbizzle , i see u o , long tym no see

Jackbizzle is same as Logicbwoy. . . Logical son of a Bizzle grin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

Hahahaha i see you are a staunch conspiracy theorist always suspecting everything might be a matrix. . . I get you brother.

from your last paragraph mentioning the great Pyramid or saucers, i know a lot of ancient astronauts conspiracy theorists think there are proof of alien visitation and technology.

Do you hold this idea too?
You think once extra-terrestrial beings visited?
and rubbed off some of their tech on us? (Like great Pyramid or something)?
It's tempting to say yes but I won't say so. Maybe humanity is simply repeating a cycle. There's no record of the past. I mean something like the internet with real records of what happened before. It's possible such knowledge was commonplace at the time and it's also possible they were visited. I don't really know and wouldn't lean on any side. What we call fossils might simply be what the ancient want us to see so. Sorry for disappointing you.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

Reyginus, you get sense like this?
Lol. Your mumu dey make my mumu shame.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 12:27pm On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

JESUS CHRIST !!!!
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 12:27pm On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

Hahaha cheesy

But Logicbwoy were you banned? Done something naughty?? grin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 12:28pm On May 05, 2016
urahara:

JESUS CHRIST !!!!

How did you not know?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 12:29pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

Thanks which means that your brother that fell in the gutter may already be dead by the time you're able to reach his +1 environ from your -6 and not yet to fall in a gutter. Time continues irrespective of the time zone. So you can't use it analogously to time travel.
Lololol. My brother? Chai! Smh. Okay o. Yes, time continues.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 12:29pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

Yeah bring it on cool

We have a thread about it on the science section maybe i should provide the link or copy to this board?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 12:30pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

Hahaha cheesy

But Logicbwoy were you banned? Done something naughty?? grin

Spambot got me

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

lol....philosophers are broader than scientist- they ask all questions- both the fantasy and the real
Yes. A philosopher wouldn't agree with any SciFi except poor philosophers. But then are poor philosophers not philosophers?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 12:33pm On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
It's tempting to say yes but I won't say so. Maybe humanity is simply repeating a cycle. There's no record of the past. I mean something like the internet with real records of what happened before. It's possible such knowledge was commonplace at the time and it's also possible they were visited. I don't really know and wouldn't lean on any side. What we call fossils might simply be what the ancient want us to see so. Sorry for disappointing you.

lol not disappointed you choose to remain agnostic over the ancient astronaut theory, that is practically ok.

To me i have always maintained and have been ringing it into ancient astronauts theorist's ears.

That we do not know how ancient civilizations built stuffs yet doesn't mean they got help from aliens, it simply means We don't know yet

I'm not a fan of using Ignorance as evidence for speculations like some conspiracy theorists would do
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 12:37pm On May 05, 2016
urahara:
For now , the closest thing we have gotten to timE travel is time dilation e. G the iss which allows astronauts to experience time slowing down but only by a few milliseconds
Not the same. But I got some good news for you. You don't really have to travel at their velocity in space for you to age slower..Just dig a very big pit, take enough provisions and go and leave under. I promise you when you emerges you will see that you will be younger than your mate..
Though there's just a little side effect--your head will be older than your legs grin
You will get this tale if you know about gravity
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 12:38pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

How did you not know?

I thought u were the legendary logic boy and not logic bwoy
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 12:39pm On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
You should call it a fantasy of science and not really Philosophers. I don't think a philosopher will ever agree with such SciFi.
Wrong actually. There have been many examples of many scientifically impossible scenarios that sci-fi writers take up, and philosophers also philosophize about.

E.g :

1) Who would happen if your brain is transplanted? Do you move with the brain? Logic says yes. If so, are YOU a brain? Would you consider yourself a brain??

2) What will happen if you teleported from one point to another? The basic principles in teleportation is that your molecules blueprints are transported at the speed of light to another point; where they are reassembled using the requiste atoms "on the other side".

If so, how old are you then?? Are you 50 years old or just an hour old; since what makes you you was recomposed just now.....

There are many other aspects, many other impossible scenarios that one can philosophize upon, and yet make a good sci-fi novel tonguetongue grin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 12:39pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

Spambot got me
Hehehe cheesy
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 12:40pm On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

We have a thread about it on the science section maybe i should provide the link or copy to this board?
A link will be nice thanks
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 12:42pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

Not the same. But I got some good news for you. You don't really have to travel at their velocity in space for you to age slower..Just dig a very big pit, take enough provisions and go and leave under. I promise you when you emerges you will see that you will be younger than your mate..
Though there's just a little side effect--your head will be older than your legs grin

Forgive my ignorance . i dont understand the tale p.lease axplain it to me
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 12:42pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

Wrong actually. There have been many examples of many scientifically impossible scenarios that sci-fi writers take up, and philosophers also philosophize about.

E.g :

1) Who would happen if your brain is transplanted? Do you move with the brain? Logic says yes. If so, are YOU a brain? Would you consider yourself a brain??

2) What will happen if you teleported from one point to another? The basic principles in teleportation is that your molecules blueprints are transported at the speed of light to another point; where they are reassembled using the requiste atoms "on the other side".

If so, how old are you then?? Are you 50 years old or just an hour old; since what makes you you was recomposed just now.....

There are many other aspects, many other impossible scenarios that one can philosophize upon, and yet make a good sci-fi novel tonguetongue grin
Lol. What do you mean by the first? I mean the transplant thing. Are you talking about moving while the brain is being operated on?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 12:43pm On May 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 12:45pm On May 05, 2016
urahara:

I thought u were the legendary logic boy and not logic bwoy

Still same person Logicboy, logicbwoy, JackBizzle and any other Moniker(s) he might have in between.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. What do you mean by the first? I mean the transplant thing. Are you talking about moving while the brain is being operated on?

Which of the following statements will you consider correct:

I have a brain.
I am a brain.

I await your response........... Take your time grin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:56pm On May 05, 2016
Richirich713:
@KingEbukasBlog

Lmao, here are fundy atheists present grin grin grin

6. You think questions like, "Can God create a rock so big that He cannot lift it?" and, "Can God will Himself out of existence?" are perfect examples of how to disprove God's omnipotence and ultimately how to disprove God. When someone proves to you the false logic behind the questions (i.e. pitting God's omnipotence against itself), you desperately try to defend the questions, but then give up and go to a different Christian site to ask them.

Lwkmd ! Epic bro !!! That was exactly was going through my mind ! ! ! I nearly got tired of repeating myself - that the question is really illogical grin grin

But that thread needs to be updated . More of such specious and illogical arguments need to be exposed .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 12:57pm On May 05, 2016
urahara:

Forgive my ignorance . i dont understand the tale p.lease axplain it to me
What makes astronauts appear to age slower by some fractions of a second is relative velocity time dilation--time moves slower as you move faster.
Now time appears to move slower near massive objects because the object's gravitational force bends space-time. It's called gravitational time dilation--it just means time moves slower as gravity increases.

That's why time passes slower for objects closer to the center of the Earth where the gravity is stronger. So technically the more you're closer to earth's gravitational pull, the more time passes slower for you-- that's the reason for the pit analogy I gave.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 12:57pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

Errr......
Sorry to disappoint but your body cells have already adapted to the circadian rthythm of 24 hours, hence they age and die normally.....

Unless of course, you're talking about "getting away from wordly pollution".....
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 1:03pm On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

https://www.nairaland.com/2992899/fermi-paradox
Woo quite interesting really, will delve into it later.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 1:07pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

Errr......
Sorry to disappoint but your body cells have already adapted to the circadian rthythm of 24 hours, hence they age and die normally.....

Unless of course, you're talking about "getting away from wordly pollution".....

Not really, what he is trying to explain is much more bigger than what you might be thinking.

Gravitational dilation, the more the gravity the slower the time which makes it seem that near a blackhole (immense gravity) time slows down so much that it is nearly stopped.

If you spend 1hour in a blackhole or too near one, when you come back to earth you will see that most of your children are already grand parents.

But to you, you only spent 1hr and will still look same. . .

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 1:08pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

Errr......

Hehehe grin Do you know what is awesome with the human physiology? It adapts.
It is experimentable. That doesn't mean you could spend your life in a pit or basement just to outlive others on the surface. The effect isn't noticeable on such a small scale. If you became a basement hermit, then across your entire lifetime you'd only age a fraction of a second slower than everyone else above ground.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

I have a brain. I am a brain.
I have a brain.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

I have a brain. I am a brain.
I have a brain.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply)

Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity In Jos And It's Causing Controversy / I Was Richer Than RCCG As Lecturer – Adeboye / Nigeria Will Lose Billions If TB Joshua Relocates — Experts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.