Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,983 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! (34896 Views)

One Hallelujah Records Will Not Partner With Secular Artistes – RCCG / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? / Can I Listen To Secular Music/clubbing And Still Be A Devoted Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:58am On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

Like Logicbwoy mentioned above there is always Infiniti + Infiniti or infiniti+ 1...

All these are hypothetical and cannot be obtained in reality . plus Its like asking God to do dumb things when He told you he is an all wise God . Or commit sin when He told you that he is Holy , righteous .
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:58am On May 05, 2016
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 10:59am On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
You don't seem to understand me. Time travel is a Logical contradiction.

You are only half right.

Time travel contains many logical paradoxes. That is why you say it has contradictions

But you are not looking at the bigger picture.

Time itself is a paradoxical concept containing contradictions.

Let me ask you- what is the first event that happened in our universe/cosmos?

You can't answer the question! Why? Because there is always a preceding event before any event. This is the paradox of cause and effect and an infinite regress.

Do you realise that you time travel every time you pass a time zone?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 11:00am On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

Time travel is feasible on paper and pen that is mathematically, more so we travel through time and our velocity always have an effect on time.

Time dilation.

Though time travel is mathematically plausible, i doubt it's feasibility in actuality. Out of the mathematical representation, it doesn't make sense to me either.

E.g: In the star trek logicbwoy talked about, one of them travelled to the future and met his future self (An old man).

This literally should change everything in the timeline and that meeting still would end up not happening after he goes back in the actual time since the particular line of action was averted through the cause of their adventures.

He met a future that will end up not happening

You see, it juggles up the brain.
Time travel assumes a lot of things that are not possible. I don't see time in that light. I don't see it in the same light some of you here see it. I wonder what exactly will happen to our earth for a particular person to interfere with the past? Does it affect just his past and how does our earth react to this movement involving only one person? Does the earth rotate faster and to whom? It makes zero sense.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 11:00am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

No . Im trying to explain how illogical the question not saying God's power is finite so he would understand . Infinite in other words , boundless , unlimited . It means nothing can go beyond .

It is a paradox and if the question is illogical then the subject of which the question is based then becomes Illogical.

Omnipotence.

Paradoxes are created to show the illogicalities of an idea. . .

So since Omnipotence means able to all things (this going from the definition means nothing is impossible for it)

So if by saying it cannot do something this still murders omnipotence. . God cannot sin still is same as saying God cannot do everything therefore omnipotence is killed.

God cannot forget, therefore it cannot do everything since forgetting is something and therefore part of everything.

All these questions derive their illogicality from the illogicality of the subject..

Meaning Omnipotence is an illogical idea therefore leads to illogical paradoxes.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 11:01am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

All these are hypothetical and cannot be obtained in reality . plus Its like asking God to do dumb things when He told you he is an all wise God . Or commit sin when He told you that he is Holy , righteous .

If your God can not commit sin, then he is weak. He is not all powerful.

Isnt that why he needed Satan to do the dirty work of tempting Adam and Eve or even Jesus?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:01am On May 05, 2016
Logicbwoy:

I like your analogy with the full tank but you seem not to understand that it does not help your case.

The tank can always be expanded to take more volume of water.

What you do not realise is that God himself is an illogical question.

God, unlike every other physical being, entity or matter, can not be expanded, reduced, measured or limited- according to your theology.

However, when you say God is "omnipotent", you are putting a measurement on him. A measurement of his power.......AND WE ALL KNOW THAT WITH MEASUREMENT, THERE COMES AN INTERESTING COMPLEMENTARY CONCEPT OF SIZE. SIZE CAN BE INCREASED OR EXPANDED.

Its just to let you understand that it illogical to insist something can be greater than God . He is beyond every imagination of powerful . So that's it .

Any other question ?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:03am On May 05, 2016
Logicbwoy:

If your God can not commit sin, then he is weak. He is not all powerful.

Isnt that why he needed Satan to do the dirty work of tempting Adam and Eve or even Jesus?

The emboldened text is not rational one bit and its your opinion so you can choose to believe anything though
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 11:03am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Lol these are not hypothesis rather mathematical representations... Infiniti is boundless and not limited therefore expands into Infiniti still.

Infinit+ infiniti = infiniti... infiniti + 1 = infiniti too..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 11:04am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Its just to let you understand that it illogical to insist something can be greater than God . He is beyond every imagination of powerful . So that's it .

Any other question ?

He is greater than everthing because u ve made it so
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 11:07am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

It means He can do anything logical , reasonable , within His plans for life or the existence of anything . Example of what God cannot do is to sin .

Understand the Christian's explanation of his belief in God , misconceptions are not allowed here
Oh okay you're now putting a full stop to his power.. His powers are now finite and constrained to only logical things like killing people through the help of others and can't do illogical things like raining food from the atmosphere undecided

You should have come clean a long time ago by simply blaspheming that he's not omnipotent cry
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:08am On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

It is a paradox and if the question is illogical then the subject of which the question is based then becomes Illogical.

Omnipotence.

Paradoxes are created to show the illogicalities of an idea. . .

So since Omnipotence means able to all things (this going from the definition means nothing is impossible for it)

So if by saying it cannot do something this still murders omnipotence. . God cannot sin still is same as saying God cannot do everything therefore omnipotence is killed.

God cannot forget, therefore it cannot do everything since forgetting is something and therefore part of everything.

All these questions derive their illogicality from the illogicality of the subject..

Meaning Omnipotence is an illogical idea therefore leads to illogical paradoxes.

No Omnipotence of God means He can do all things which are in His plans for anything in accordance to His personality or nature . Meaning He cannot do something illogical , or contrary to His nature .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 11:09am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Any other question ?

Does God know the future? If he does why does he need to test human beings? He tested Abraham. He tested Job.

Also, if he knows the future, does that not negate the freewill concept? If God knows that I am going to eat ice cream tomorrow, then there is nothing I can do, I will eat ice cream the next day.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 11:09am On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
Time travel assumes a lot of things that are not possible. I don't see time in that light. I don't see it in the same light some of you here see it. I wonder what exactly will happen to our earth for a particular person to interfere with the past? Does it affect just his past and how does our earth react to this movement involving only one person? Does the earth rotate faster and to whom? It makes zero sense.

Going back in time creates a paradox because if one person goes back and murders alexandar the great or Newton.

this present will never turn out exact same way therefore he came from a future that does not exist.

So you see, the only solution is annihilation of the paradox.. it is not feasible to travel back in time
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:10am On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

Lol these are not hypothesis rather mathematical representations... Infiniti is boundless and not limited therefore expands into Infiniti still.

Infinit+ infiniti = infiniti... infiniti + 1 = infiniti too..

So what's the problem if you know that

infiniti + infiniti = infiniti + 1 = Infiniti + 2 +... + Infiniti + n = Infiniti
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 11:13am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

No Omnipotence of God means He can do all things which are in His plans for anything in accordance to His personality or nature . Meaning He cannot do something illogical , or contrary to His nature .

There you go, he cannot do something and also limited by his nature therefore cannot be Omnipotent.

You see you have murdered the omnipotence yourself... You did it yourself.

I'm through with the paradox nothing more to add

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 11:13am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

The emboldened text is not rational one bit and its your opinion so you can choose to believe anything though

cry

Bros, why na?

You said that God cannot commit sin. But then again, the only people that can not commit sin are people that lack freewill or people who lack the mental capacity to make informed choices eg toddlers and mad men.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 11:13am On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

You believe in OBE but you don't believe that some can travel to the past or the future?
How is it illogical? As you believe the mind can be plucked out of the body..can you tell me what happens when such person is killed in that reality? Can that person be brought back to life again??
Believe? No, don't use the word. You know, when we use believe we may be tempted to drag faith and then religion to it. Have you read the book Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. His meeting with the Invisible Councillors. That's what an OBE is like.

I don't really know what would happen if such a person is killed but can such a person be killed? It's like being conscious in a coma. Like striking a body without what the French Philosopher Henri Bergson's called the Elan Vitae. I don't anything will happen to its functionality until it returns.

Use this analogy. A television or a desktop connected to a power source. You can not really say the TV or Desktop is dead, that is, no longer works, if a person comes around and hits its screen when it's not connected to a power source. You can only know what the true situation of things is after you connect it again to the Power Source.

Time travel is like a miracle if true. By miracle I don't mean, something that transcends our idea of reality but something that transcends reality. It makes zero sense to me. Help me with this. How do you even go back in time? What happens in the Solar System?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 11:15am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

So what's the problem if you know that

infiniti + infiniti = infiniti + 1 = Infiniti + 2 +... + Infiniti + n = Infiniti

Means infiniti is literally boundless and ever accommodating and so there is no cap on it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:16am On May 05, 2016
Logicbwoy:

Does God know the future? If he does why does he need to test human beings? He tested Abraham. He tested Job.

Also, if he knows the future, does that not negate the freewill concept? If God knows that I am going to eat ice cream tomorrow, then there is nothing I can do, I will eat ice cream the next day.

Yup . God has prescience . It does not negate . He just knows the outcomes of any action . Freewill means you have the choice of action or that carte blanche in life . He just knows the consequences of your action .
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by hahn(m): 11:16am On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

There you go, he cannot do something and also limited by his nature therefore cannot be Omnipotent.

You see you have murdered the omnipotence yourself.

KingEbukasBlog never disappoints grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 11:20am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Yup . God has prescience . It does not negate . He just knows the outcomes of any action . Freewill means you have the choice of action or that carte blanche in life . He just knows the consequences of your action .

Wait!

If God knows that I am going to eat ice cream tomorrow, then I can't change my actions- I will eat the icecream the next day.

If I don't eat the ice cream, then God's prescience would be wrong.

Is that a negation of freewill?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 11:20am On May 05, 2016
Logicbwoy:

You are only half right.

Time travel contains many logical paradoxes. That is why you say it has contradictions

But you are not looking at the bigger picture.

Time itself is a paradoxical concept containing contradictions.

Let me ask you- what is the first event that happened in our universe/cosmos?

You can't answer the question! Why? Because there is always a preceding event before any event. This is the paradox of cause and effect and an infinite regress.

Do you realise that you time travel every time you pass a time zone?

When I cross a time zone is anything reversed? No. If my brother falls into a gutter in GMT+1 time zone whole I reside in a GMT-6 zone can I speed home on a concord aircraft and prevent him from falling into a gutter?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 11:24am On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

Going back in time creates a paradox because if one person goes back and murders alexandar the great or Newton.

this present will never turn out exact same way therefore he came from a future that does not exist.

So you see, the only solution is annihilation of the paradox.. it is not feasible to travel back in time
Lol. Or let's say he murders Einstein and P.C Dirac, what concept is he then operating on? It doesn't make sense.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:24am On May 05, 2016
Logicbwoy:

cry

Bros, why na?

You said that God cannot commit sin. But then again, the only people that can not commit sin are people that lack freewill or people who lack the mental capacity to make informed choices eg toddlers and mad men.

God is an all wise God . A mad man to kill or a baby to kill - the person lacks the ability to discern what's right or wrong .So the mad man or baby would not have the ability to account for his actions .

That's why babies/toddlers would go to heaven no matter what and mad men's actions would be accountable before the loss of sanity . That's why the bible asked us to be ready at all times .

But the interesting question is doesn't the loss of sanity preclude his opportunity for salvation ? Now looking at this, death can also prevent any other opportunity for salvation . Death/Insanity = mental death .

So whatever works that were done before , he would be judged by those
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 11:26am On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
Believe? No, don't use the word. You know, when we use believe we may be tempted to drag faith and then religion to it. Have you read the book Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. His meeting with the Invisible Councillors. That's what an OBE is like.

I don't really know what would happen if such a person is killed but can such a person be killed? It's like being conscious in a coma. Like striking a body without what the French Philosopher Henri Bergson's called the Elan Vitae. I don't anything will happen to its functionality until it returns.

Use this analogy. A television or a desktop connected to a power source. You can not really say the TV or Desktop is dead, that is, no longer works, if a person comes around and hits its screen when it's not connected to a power source. You can only know what the true situation of things is after you connect it again to the Power Source.

Time travel is like a miracle if true. By miracle I don't mean, something that transcends our idea of reality but something that transcends reality. It makes zero sense to me. Help me with this. How do you even go back in time? What happens in the Solar System?

Rey are you simply equating OBE to dreams??
If so then you can't use it to decribe the Matrix and hence you don't really understand what the matrix is all about like you said. I can't answer how to go back in time or the future cause is not yet feasible. There are many assumptions like the black hole, warm whole and even quantum entanglement to achieve it.
Sci-fi is just using these ideas to show us how it will be like. If you read and watch sci-fi so well, you will understand how it makes sense (maybe a little) with what we currently know.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 11:27am On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
When I cross a time zone is anything reversed? No. If my brother falls into a gutter in GMT+1 time zone whole I reside in a GMT-6 zone can I speed home on a concord aircraft and prevent him from falling into a gutter?

Hahahahaha the Physics of time is different from what you are thinking here boss..

Let me explain like i explained to logicbwoy, time can go slow, stand still but not backwards.

Let me use time dilation.

In two bodies fires a laser beam travelling at the speed of light, one of the bodies is stationary while the other is moving half the speed of light.

If both measures the speed of the laser beam fired there will still reach the same answer.
(Which normally shouldn't be so since one is almost half the speed of light so is expected it's measurement should be half less than that of the stationary one)

So the thing here is for the moving body, time slows down in order to equilibrate the spatial velocity dimensions and keep the constant of light (C).

So XYZ (spatial velocities) + (time )= C (speed of light)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 11:29am On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. Or let's he murders Einstein and P.C Dirac, what concept is he then operating on? It doesn't make sense.

Time doesn't run backwards, you imagine going back in time and meet your grand father then murders him automatically you won't exist in the future therefore there is no you at all.

Then if there is no you how then did you murder your grand father? . . . .Its a fun brain juggling paradox boss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:30am On May 05, 2016
Logicbwoy:

Wait!

If God knows that I am going to eat ice cream tomorrow, then I can't change my actions- I will eat the icecream the next day.

If I don't eat the ice cream, then God's prescience would be wrong.

Is that a negation of freewill?

God just knows that you will eat ice cream tomorrow . Even if you change your mind a hundred times before the ice cream eating tomorrow , he knows . If you dont eat ice cream tomorrow , he still knows you will change your mind .

But anyway some people think God being prescient means he can tell the future from the actions done in the present . Any path followed , the future can be foretold .

It was a hell of an argument with my friends that day . I can't forget grin .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 11:31am On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

Rey are you simply equating OBE to dreams??
If so then you can't use it to decribe the Matrix and hence you don't really understand what the matrix is all about like you said. I can't answer how to go back in time or the future cause is not yet feasible. There are many assumptions like the black hole, warm whole and even quantum entanglement to achieve it.
Sci-fi is just using these ideas to show us how it will be like. If you read and watch sci-fi so well, you will understand how it makes sense (maybe a little) with what we currently know.
I love good stories but I don't buy all stories. Yeah. I don't fully understand the matrix. It's just like Nibiru to me now. It's complex I'm only speaking from the little I understand. But them why are we having this argument if you agree time travel is not feasible? Let's jump to KingEbukasBlog. Lolololol.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 11:35am On May 05, 2016
Logicbwoy:

Bros, I am not joking- you should be a lecturer.

I swear, you would be a blessing to the current indomie generation that are learning rubbish from a failed education system.

We have a resident (final year) student doctor here on nairaland that refuses t[b]o believe in evolution[/b] and has clearly stated that he would rather allow his wife to die in childbirth than to abort a problematic pregnancy ( a pregnancy that would kill both mother and child if it comes to full term).

U dont believe in evolution. You either accept it or be deluded

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

David Oyedepo To Nigerians: 2020 Is A Year Of Breaking Limits / Could Russia's Invasion Of Ukraine Be A Fulfilment Of Biblical Prophecy? / Nigeria Adopts Jordan As Permanent Pilgrimage Destination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.