Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,863 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD (41700 Views)

Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN / PTDF Shortlisted Candidates For PHD Scholarship Scheme Interview 2017/2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Nobody: 9:23pm On May 04, 2016
I dey wait for this kind juicy offer.
Since it's a PhD, you should be fully funded.
By the way, don't be scared. You'd do a year of coursework before you start your research.
Wish you all the best
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by irondome: 9:24pm On May 04, 2016
Team16:
Please oga se.un help me push to the front thread cos I need to reply this mail today.

I have a B.Sc Industrial Chemistry ( 4.01/5), Pgd Chemical Engineering ( Distinction ).

I applied for a Canadian admission for MSc.E Chemical Engineering. Normally for your admission to be successful you need to secure a supervisor whose research interest is similar to yours. I have done that and he encouraged me to apply. I submitted my application and after going through my application with other supporting documents like letter of motivation and others, he sent me a mail this afternoon that they want to consider me PhD instead of MSc I applied for. I'm very confused right now if to accept it or not considering high standard of education abroad as I use to hear, I haven't experienced foreign education before, this is my first. Please note my ultimate goal is to obtain a PhD. Please help me push to the front thread cos I need advice from experienced Nigerians who have studied abroad. Thanks. I appreciate

Why the worry? Your prospective supervisor positively appraised your previous qualifications and skills as suitable for PHD; I believe you would do just great.

2 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by wwwkaycom(m): 9:24pm On May 04, 2016
AgroPro:
I am in Canada. I can help you push this through and give you all relevant information you may require about the school.

Whilst studying your PhD you could also enroll in master program on a part time basis.

Canada is beautiful but cold as Bleep..get ready for -30 in winter bro. Good luck
I'm currently looking for PhD scholarship in Canada Bros, how do I go about it? My spec is Animal Production/Management
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 04, 2016
Team16:
Please oga se.un help me push to the front thread cos I need to reply this mail today.

I have a B.Sc Industrial Chemistry ( 4.01/5), Pgd Chemical Engineering ( Distinction ).

I applied for a Canadian admission for MSc.E Chemical Engineering. Normally for your admission to be successful you need to secure a supervisor whose research interest is similar to yours. I have done that and he encouraged me to apply. I submitted my application and after going through my application with other supporting documents like letter of motivation and others, he sent me a mail this afternoon that they want to consider me PhD instead of MSc I applied for. I'm very confused right now if to accept it or not considering high standard of education abroad as I use to hear, I haven't experienced foreign education before, this is my first. Please note my ultimate goal is to obtain a PhD. Please help me push to the front thread cos I need advice from experienced Nigerians who have studied abroad. Thanks. I appreciate

Congratulations! I hope she will fund you too? I have friends who applied for MSc but were offered PhD admission because they did well in their bachelors' program.

You can also find out the program requirement in details whether you need to write a qualifying exams or there is a minimum score you need to obtain in courses you take. I believe you can succeed irrespective of your "switch" in field. I had to learn calculus and programming to survive my program.

I will advise you give it a try and be prepared to brave the odds. I will also recommend you learn the programming language applicable to your field. Canadian schools like programming. I had to move from Java to Matlab because it was more useful in my program.

I wish you the best!

1 Like

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 04, 2016
Double post!

1 Like

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Dfavouredone: 9:25pm On May 04, 2016
Team16:

My dear, academically you will be fine. I did my MSc abroad (not bragging, just to want make a point), and I know of a Nigerian whose MSc was converted to PhD. And he completely it successfully, it was his first time schooling offshore as well.

The worry here is if u can fund a four years program instead of two years MSc. If fund isn't the problem, then don't panic, u will do fine and their system is so supportive that a struggling student in Nigeria can excel over there. Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Jumkye: 9:25pm On May 04, 2016
You have friends that have done it, yet you are coming to Nairaland to ask strangers among whom are Sadists to help you decide? If the little voice within you is saying do it, my brother, please do! They say we only use a minute percentage of our brain, use the remaining percentage and excel, fly. Let this Sadists telling you to go for MSc instead read about you in the newspaper and shit in their pants. Go forward!

8 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by morganbayo: 9:25pm On May 04, 2016
If your distinction is not Chinese made, please go for your phd straight. Msc is just to prepare u for research writing. If u can be hard working and brilliant to have distinction in undergraduate level then why panicking for the phd which u said it's ur ultimate goal.

But pls if the distinction is the bought one, pls don't even try it oo. That is western country and not naija. U had better continue that automatic phd in nigeria open university. grin
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by kpolli(m): 9:26pm On May 04, 2016
If Canada is like the US, then your first 2 years is seen as a Masters degree, so I will advice you to accept it. If you ever find the program too hard or boring, you can cash out with your Masters' degree....

But like I said, if it's like the USA

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Justbusiness: 9:27pm On May 04, 2016
Wetin Op dey smoke? No be you dey pray for double promotion and blessing for church last sunday? God finally pick your call you dey here they ask WaEC question. Who be your professor and whats the name of the skool?

7 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by martinkem(m): 9:27pm On May 04, 2016
Team16:

I say you take it, the PhD program lasts at least 3 years, that's mkre than enough time to learn the ropes
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Nobody: 9:28pm On May 04, 2016
One word Congratulations
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by emorse(m): 9:28pm On May 04, 2016
Team16:

I appreciate your input bro. I think academically my supervisor knows a talent when he sees one. The guy is a professor emeritus. I think he's seeing what I'm not seeing yet. Don't you think someone can help you discover your destiny looking at your background. Talking about skipping MSc, I have a lot friends that have done it n came out successfully. My fear is i changed from Chemistry to Chemical Engineering and now about to skip MSc to PHD in Chemical Engineering. If it had been in Chemistry I for no bother. Don't say I'm confused cos I know what I want, in MSc I would be very comfortable and excel without fear but PhD, i don’t know what lies ahead for me. That's why I need advice from people who have schooled abroad. Thanks

My course adviser during my undergrad days in UNILAG graduated from the same dept with a 1st class. He was offered both MSc. in the faculty of science and PhD. in the faculty of edu at the same time. He went for his PhD. I hear he is currently the HOD of the department. Clever guy.

Moral of the story? Nothing is too much for you to achieve. Brace yourself and give it whatever it would take. Represent Nigeria as best you can. MAKE US PROUD!

3 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Rayhutar(m): 9:29pm On May 04, 2016
Consider the funding, accept it first, then ask whether they can help you with funding, if there is no funding for you, PhD is very expensive when there is no funding abroad
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by geekybabe(f): 9:30pm On May 04, 2016
Go for PhD straight up. Even if you don't have funding now, it's easier to look for and find scholarship opportunities as a PhD student. you'll be fine without the Msc. Just be ready to read and research extensively.

3 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 04, 2016
I see Nothing Wrong Bro, Go for it, education here is not as challenging as it is back home, you would have all you need to study, if you did it yourself back home and got those grades, then you have no problem, you just have to be confident and study hard. Besides you need not worry about books, power supply or whatever you just focus and study. So I say go for it. It's just about 3 years course work, then you go in for your own private research and you would be good.
Again, I guess you would have done some research, publications, article or project that caught the Profs. Interest. I know how they evaluate here, if he found nothing interesting, he would not have recommended you for a PHD.

2 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by drnoel: 9:32pm On May 04, 2016
AgroPro:
I am in Canada. I can help you push this through and give you all relevant information you may require about the school.

Whilst studying your PhD you could also enroll in master program on a part time basis.

Canada is beautiful but cold as Bleep..get ready for -30 in winter bro. Good luck

Did u read the post at all.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 04, 2016
gimbayaro:
Plz go for NYSC 1st... were have it ever been done...u cant skip M.sc to PhD. Canadian university can neva do dat shit....plz lets have true stories here instead of lies & Imagine pple r even commenting...olodo full Nairaland oooo.

Bro, it's done in the US! Students skip MS degree here in the US...Always do your research before jumping into conclusion on anything. Enjoy your night.

17 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Adeyinka123: 9:35pm On May 04, 2016
Your transcript is speaking my brother. My uncle had his PHD without M.sc. This is a life time opportunity. I am begging you to please accept or simply grab it

4 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by peter1616: 9:36pm On May 04, 2016
My bros the opportunity u ve at hand now is a very rear one. A bird at hand is more than thousand in d bush. Pls don't hesitate taking the PHD offer. If later Msc becomes inevitable u can still go for it. Enjoy ur studies and remember ur people in Nigeria while studying. KUDOS!
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 04, 2016
gimbayaro:
Plz go for NYSC 1st... were have it ever been done...u cant skip M.sc to PhD. Canadian university can neva do dat shit....plz lets have true stories here instead of lies & Imagine pple r even commenting...olodo full Nairaland oooo.

You perish because of lack of knowledge

13 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by ceejay4real(m): 9:40pm On May 04, 2016
AgroPro:

My brother I guess @ Op wld really appreciate ur advice. Pls I want to come over to Canada and do an Msc either in Finance, Oil & Gas Accounting or Business Administration. Cld u pls kindly call me on 08035449602? So we can discuss how u cld possibly help me secure admission in a good University over there. I wld really appreciate Sir. I have a degree in Accounting 4rm Abia State University and a former Banker & currently a Civil Servant.

Thank you so much & God bless!

CJ
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by cooooooks(m): 9:41pm On May 04, 2016
It is common for people with high enough Bachelors to be fast tracked to Ph'D. Especially if they have experience as well.

As a Ph'D, you'll likely write peer-reviewed papers and this thing brings research money to the school.

Team16:

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Abati60: 9:43pm On May 04, 2016
Congratulations on your application been reviewed for Ph.d admission, it shows how scholarly tou application is. First admission for Ph.d straight from undergraduates includes a masters, in the US its usually plus 5 years, two years you take graduate classes, a qualifying exam for Ph.d ,take more classes to prepare you for your research. Am sure you will get salary for your program. Good luck

1 Like

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by ife01(m): 9:43pm On May 04, 2016
Congratulations OP!

Do not let this opportunity elude you...

Don't be scared about coping, you'll actually excel.

1 Like

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by okoi001(m): 9:44pm On May 04, 2016
You dont need advice from us. Your best option is to seek advice from your supervisor, the prof. You talked about. They is always a reason for everything.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by AbdulrahmanYusu: 9:46pm On May 04, 2016
Bros, Just look for money and go a head with ur PhD. This is golden opportunity and very few people get it
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by kayles: 9:47pm On May 04, 2016
Hey man that's smth nice you've got going for yourself. Don't let anybody take that joy away from you (likes of distracters). Having a PGD has brought you an edge closer to an MSc curriculum. There's nothing to be scared about in getting an education(PhD), it's all about books and reading them, research and validating it's hypothesis, then you write all about what you've read. My advice is you take it, so you don't regret it. If you believe in yourself like I already do then you can nail this thing. Be positive.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by juntod: 9:47pm On May 04, 2016
Accept the offer with both hands. The people advising you not to take it do not even know the difference. Ph.D is just an extension of M.Sc. It doesn't require a genius. If you can excel as a Masters student, you can do same as a Ph.D student. The first two years will be the same thing as if you were a masters student. You don't even think about dissertation until after these years. Also, Ph.D is more like a job offer. You get paid for being a doctoral student since you will be a research assistant under your advisor.

3 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Snwokenk: 9:47pm On May 04, 2016
I am shocked by the amount of people discouraging you from taking the PhD program. Here in the US you get paid while studying. Its not much, but its better than having to pay for masters.

Also whatever you can accomplish with a masters, you can do with a PhD and more.

Don't listen to those who are discouraging you. GO FOR IT!

3 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 04, 2016
Team16:

Bros congrats . so many out there are looking for this opportunity. if i were you i wont think twice. the advantages of phd are so numerous. You have the option of being a Graduate assistant while u study ( ur being paid and the school deducts your school fees from your salary). There are also numerous scholarships for PHD students than masters students. Also, its easier for you to get your permanent residency there while working. The Sky is your starting point and i wish you all the best

1 Like

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by bb6xt(m): 9:50pm On May 04, 2016
It is common for top schools in North America not to have a terminal masters program. However, you may elect to receive a master's en route a PhD. All that is required to qualify for admission to the PhD is a good bachelor's degree which you seem to have. PhDs are generally research oriented and at most schools come with full funding either through Research Assistantships (funded from your supervisor's research grants) or Teaching Assistantships or both. PhDs take between 5 and 6 years to complete and in the first two years you take courses equivalent to a masters program, for the remaining you focus on researching towards your thesis/dissertation.

Please just go for the PhD. You have nothing to loose.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Kaduna Teacher's Reasons On Why They Failed The Primary Four Test / The Signing Out Pose That's Making Waves / Do You Still Remember? Who Can Solve This Jss1 Maths Question? Ja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.