Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri (1844 Views)

Soldiers Pose With Dead Bodies Of Boko Haram Members After Attack In Sambisa / Warri People Lay Siege On Chevron Tank & Protest Explotation By FG & NDDC(Pics) / Photos OF The Co-ordinator Of Attacks On Chevron & NNPC Pipelines In Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by LordVarys: 8:15am On May 06, 2016
Following the blowing up of Chevron’s Valve Platform Wednesday night by Niger Delta militants, Nigeria will be losing an estimated $5.3 million daily, equivalent of N1.05 billion.
The militants blew up the platform located on the high sea near Escravos in Warri South West Local Government Area of Delta State.
It was gathered that Chevron operations in the area would be halted as the platform is a major connecting point where all other platforms link up and serves as a fulcrum to Chevron BOP and the Chevron tank farm.
Also, it was learnt that nothing less than 130,000 barrels of oil per day would be lost to the incident.
By calculation, and going by the current price of crude in the international market, $41.02, the country would be losing an estimate of $5.3 million daily.
An oil expert described the attack as a major setback to the country’s oil production, saying the facility is among the company’s most significant platforms.
Though Chevron was yet to come out with an official statement on the attack, a new militant group in the region, the Niger Delta Avengers (NDA), has claimed responsibility.
According to a statement issued by the group’s spokesman, Madoch Agbinibo, “The high command of the Niger Delta Avengers wants to use this medium to thank Strike Team 6 for successfully blowing up the Chevron Valve Platform. And we are ready to protect the Niger Delta people.
“This is what we promised the Nigerian government. Since they refused to listen to us we are going to zero the economy of the country.
“As for zeroing the Nigerian economy, the Niger Delta Avengers is done with Delta State major oil installations. Now, we are taking the fight out of the creeks to the Niger Delta. We are taking it to Abuja and Lagos now.
Advertisement

“We want to pass this message to the international oil companies operating in the Niger Delta that the Nigeria military can’t protect their facilities. They should talk to the Federal Government to meet our demands else more mishaps will befall their installations.”
The group had earlier claimed responsibility for the attack on the Forcados 48-inch Export Pipeline, which was attacked two months ago.
Meanwhile, report of this latest attack was broken by navy spokesman, Chris Ezekobe, on Thursday, saying that the attack occurred about 40 nautical miles from the Escravos terminal, around the southern city of Warri.
The commander of the Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Delta, Raimi Mohammed, who said he got the news as well but said he could not say much on the incident until after it has been confirmed.
“We got news like that this morning but we are yet to confirm. We have asked our people in Escravos to confirm. It happened deep offshore but we need confirmation to know what really happened,” he said.
The latest attack, however, happened less than three weeks after President Muhammadu Buhari threatened to treat pipeline vandals like Boko Haram Islamist militants.
Buhari had told some Nigerians resident in China that “the government is still being dared, but those who are sensible should have learnt a lesson. Those who are mad, let them continue in their madness.
“I am aware that in the last two weeks, the national grid collapsed a number of times. I hope this message will reach the vandals and saboteurs who are blowing up pipelines and installations. We will deal with them the way we dealt with Boko Haram.”
The militants said they would not relent until they grind the economy to a halt
https://www.today.ng/news/national/117441/nigeria-lose-5-daily-militants-blow-chevrons-platform
Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by LordVarys: 8:16am On May 06, 2016
Militants attacked a Chevron (CVX.N) platform in Nigeria's oil-rich Niger Delta region late on Wednesday, the U.S. energy company said on Thursday, amid growing fears of a revived militant campaign in the region.

It is the latest in a series of attacks on oil facilities in Africa's top oil exporter. President Muhammadu Buhari has vowed to crack down on "vandals and saboteurs" in the Delta region, which produces most of the country's oil.

In a statement, the energy company said Chevron Nigeria Limited, operator of a joint venture with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), said an attack took place at about 11.15 pm (1715 ET) on Wednesday.

"Its Okan offshore facility in the Western Niger Delta region was breached by unknown persons," said Chevron in the statement. "The facility is currently shut-in and we are assessing the situation, and have deployed resources to respond to a resulting spill."

There were no immediate details of any casualties. The company could not be reached for further comment.

A group known as the Niger Delta Avengers claimed responsibility for the attack, and in a statement it said it blew up the platform.

ADVERTISEMENT

"This is what we promised the Nigeria government since they refuse to listen to us," the group said.

The same group has said it carried out an attack on a Shell (RDSa.L) oil pipeline in February which shut down the 250,000 barrel-a-day Forcados export terminal.

The militants say they want a greater share of oil revenues. Crude sales account for around 70 percent of national income in Africa's biggest economy.

Pipeline attacks and violence have risen in Nigeria's southern swampland since authorities issued an arrest warrant in January for a former militant leader on corruption charges.

Buhari has extended a multi-million dollar amnesty signed with militants in 2009 but upset them by ending generous pipeline protection contracts.

The militancy is a further challenge for a government faced with an insurgency by the Islamist militant Boko Haram group in the northeast and violent clashes between armed nomadic herdsmen and locals over land use in various parts of the country.

(Aditional reporting by Alexis Akwagyiram, in Lagos, Anamesere Igboeroteonwu, in Onitsha, and Libby George, in London; editing by Susan Thomas and Alexandra Hudson)
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0XW1PL
Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by chido20(m): 8:17am On May 06, 2016
Plz some1 shud tell hausa fulani dat aba is nt enugu.we will nt tolerate shit hia.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by kodded(m): 8:19am On May 06, 2016

undecided undecided

I thought apc zombies claim that militants are toothless

undecided undecided

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by MrDavidson: 8:20am On May 06, 2016
Very unfortunate. All I see is the hand of Tompolo, but the govt should send out an olive branch. We already have too much battles we're facing.
Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by SeverusSnape(m): 8:24am On May 06, 2016
Buhari is killing this country, Seriously. The man is just a heartless megalomaniac.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by LordVarys: 8:25am On May 06, 2016
On one hand, Nigeria is losing valuable revenue but the supply disruptions in Nigeria is helping crude oil prices rise
Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by SeverusSnape(m): 8:25am On May 06, 2016
MrDavidson:
Very unfortunate. All I see is the hand of Tompolo, but the govt should send out an olive branch. We already have too much battles we're facing.
Will undiplomatic, stubborn and obstinate Buhari do such

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by Simeonnwabeks: 8:26am On May 06, 2016
kodded:

I thought apc zombies claim that militants are toothless

undecided undecided

I know you are happy but dont complain of hardship/lack of electricity. Abeg.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by LoveMachine(m): 8:28am On May 06, 2016
They need to develop the oil wells in Anambra and Enugu.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by Sweetguy25: 8:28am On May 06, 2016
Way to go boys.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by bettercreature(m): 8:29am On May 06, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Buhari is killing this country, Seriously. The man is just a heartless megalomaniac.
My brother you need to stop walking on your brain we are in 2016,why blaming buhari when the armnesty program is still on? i really want to know the point you are trying to make or are you saying that EFCC should stop prosecuting Tompolo? Please! always try to think before you post
Any militant that refuse to partake in the on going armnesty programme must be wipe off the face of the earth

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by MedKen: 8:30am On May 06, 2016
What is all this........

Live and let live Nigerians
Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by Stalwert: 8:31am On May 06, 2016
Send in the Cavalry to damage this bloody touts destroying the eco-system, FG should condition payment of derivation fees on the peace, else derivation fees should be used for ramping up security and deploying deterents. I await FG sending troops to flush out tompolo and return him in a body bag if need be. Nigeria has tried to be as conciliatory as it can to criminals who serve only their pockets while harming other civilians by destroying the lands.

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by SeverusSnape(m): 8:34am On May 06, 2016
Stalwert:
Send in the Calvary to damage this bloody touts destroying the eco-system, FG should condition payment of derivation fees on the peace, else derivation fees should be used for ramping up security and deploying deterents. I await FG sending troops to flush out tompolo and return him in a body bag if need be. Nigeria has tried to be as conciliatory as it can to criminals who serve only their pockets while harming other civilians by destroying the lands.

Vedaxcool, It's Cavalry in this context, not Calvary. Calvary is used when referring to Jesus' 'cross of Calvary' which was used to crucify him.

By the way, Your comment is utter nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by chikel2000(m): 8:35am On May 06, 2016
Not again! Let's allow PMB face the war against Boko boys alone now. We can't bee fighting too many battles. To Mr PMB pls try as much as possible to be diplomatic, it worked for late Yara'dua, it can work for u too if u soft peddle a bit
Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by TheNonce: 8:36am On May 06, 2016
undecided
SeverusSnape:

So there were no attacks on oil installations or pipelines during 'ebele's' time?

Stop reasoning like 'ebele' abeg!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by SeverusSnape(m): 8:37am On May 06, 2016
bettercreature:
My brother you need to stop walking on your brain we are in 2016,why blaming buhari when the armnesty program is still on? i really want to know the point you are trying to make or are you saying that EFCC should stop prosecuting Tompolo? Please! always try to think before you post
Any militant that refuse to partake in the on going armnesty problem must be wipe off the face of the earth
Oya, Let's blame Jonathan. cool
Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by SeverusSnape(m): 8:40am On May 06, 2016
TheNonce:
undecided

So there were no attacks on oil installations or pipelines during 'ebele's' time?

Stop reasoning like 'ebele' abeg!
We all know Jonathan himself went into the creeks to negotiate with the militants, So as to bring the impasse to an end. But Buhari, being the foolishly obstinate power drunk that he is, won't do the same. We don't expect him to go there himself, He can send some emissaries.

You don't have to fight every war, Negotiations and diplomacy is very important.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by worksmart(m): 8:40am On May 06, 2016
Are we not holding oil companies responsible for securing these assets?
May be we may have to nationalise the oil firms.
Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by Stalwert: 8:42am On May 06, 2016
Simeonnwabeks:

We are glad PDP shows happiness to our suffering it clearly put them as a collection of criminals who support criminality.
Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by kodded(m): 8:43am On May 06, 2016
Simeonnwabeks:

undecided undecided
sharap when the militants refuses to strike, people like you were shouting that the new sheriff is in town

hope your 'new sheriff' never travel go france

undecided undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by Stalwert: 8:44am On May 06, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Vedaxcool,
It's Clavary in this context, not Calvary. [s]Calvary is used when referring to Jesus' 'cross of Calvary' which was used to crucify him. [/s]

[s]By the way, Your comment is utter nonsense.[/s]

Never heard of Clavary, anyway you have been noticed

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by kodded(m): 8:47am On May 06, 2016
Stalwert:

We are glad PDP shows happiness to our suffering it clearly put them as a collection of criminals who support criminality.

undecided undecided

same way apc celebrated every bombing in Gej government cool

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by SeverusSnape(m): 8:48am On May 06, 2016
Stalwert:

Never heard of[b] Clavary[/b], anyway you have been noticed

Why did you change what I typed?? grin you can't even embolden a text, It's Cavalry my friend, Check your lexicon if you have one, which I doubt. Go school you no gree. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by Stalwert: 8:49am On May 06, 2016
bettercreature:
Any militant that refuse to partake in the on going armnesty problem must be wipe off the face of the earth

1 billion likes

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by SeverusSnape(m): 8:49am On May 06, 2016
kodded:

undecided undecided

same way apc celebrated every bombing in Gej government cool

Don't mind the hypocrites. Why do you think we were calling them "supporters of APC" back then??

^^^ you see, I intended to type janjaweeds_, Nairaland bot changed it to "Supporters of APC".

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by tayebest(m): 8:50am On May 06, 2016
let them continuing spilling their land and expect Buhari to do the cleaning....

undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by iflywithbuhari(f): 8:53am On May 06, 2016
Lord please dash Buhari sense, show him the way other humans use their brain. There, I have done it. One of the virulent APC supporters just claimed that if I don't pray for this government, then I am not a good citizen.
Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by mesoprogress(m): 9:00am On May 06, 2016
Strength is not by military might. I suspected this would happen. Buhari would be completely powerless in the face of these militants. I have worked in niger delta, inside these creeks drilling oil. I can assure you, dialogue is the only way, you can't fish the militants out unless you destroy the whole of niger delta which Nigeria government definitely can't do. He is a dunce.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Lose $5.3 Mil Daily After Attack On Chevron Platform In Warri by Stalwert: 9:00am On May 06, 2016
Simeonnwabeks:

I know he will throw insult, an archibong can never make sense anyway so its no surprise. So anyone that call kids like you out must be APC, common sense is not truly common. What a big shame.

Supporters of criminality are never known to have moral decorum

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Buhari Calls Osinbajo From London. / See The 'unsual' Tool A Customs Officer Was Spotted Carrying While On Duty(pic) / Oby Ezekwesili Blast Buhari On Activities Of Herdsmen,Says PMB Hasnt Done Enough

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.