Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,123 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks (29969 Views)

Economic Crisis: Five Banks’ Profit Drop By N54bn / Five Banks Lose N312m To Cbn’s Sanctions / Cbn Sacks Ceos And Management Of Five Nigerian Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by naijatoday: 4:16pm On Aug 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@naijatoday, I am sorry but it still does not add up. The reason the US government is able to interfere in the running of banks TODAY is because of the events of recent years. BOFIA has been around since the early 90's if not earlier. Are you saying the Nigerian government has had this power over banks since then or something?

I do not understand what you are saying. Are you asking why the CBN has not used the power before? If yes, that is the power of corruption. Did you not read the ThisDay article that said the CEO of Intercontinental ran to Ota to meet Obasanjo, to try and stop Sanusi (if the ThisDay story is true)

The problem is that in Nigeria some individuals have been made more powerful than the  institutions (banks).

The central bank is also suppose to be independent of the Federal Government. It should not take decisions from the Federal Government, that is why it is important that Presidents (like in the case of U.S) pick someone who has similar beliefs in their agenda.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by otukpo(f): 4:17pm On Aug 14, 2009
the banks are the reason inflation is too high in Nigeria.

The CBN has to do more than sacking these banks chiefs
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Tsiya(m): 4:18pm On Aug 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@naijatoday, I am sorry but it still does not add up. The reason the US government is able to interfere in the running of banks TODAY is because of the events of recent years. BOFIA has been around since the early 90's if not earlier. Are you saying the Nigerian government has had this power over banks since then or something?

CBN have this power long time ago and they have used this power on several occasions. In 2007, CBN sack the MD of Spring Bank

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=cbn+sack+spring+bank+md&meta=&aq=f&oq=
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by oge4real(f): 4:19pm On Aug 14, 2009
I just hope that this will be translated directly to the safety of depositors' money. That is the most important issue.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by bibiking1(m): 4:20pm On Aug 14, 2009
I believe we are getting a tad too tense about the whole event here. What Sanusi has done has implications, but i believe of more good that ill to we the consumers. There was a lot mo9re corruption inside the financial sector than we really understood.
Just to clear the air on some rather ignorant rant swimming around, YES, the CBN HAS THE RIGHT TO SACK THE CEO's AND MANAGEMENT OF ANY BANK!
Please let us with caution link past events with the current happenings. Setinmental balderdash like linking Sanusi's First Bank experience with the reason First Bank was not listed amongst the defaulters smells of premordial extremes.
Let us make this one of intellectual relevance, because it is a historical landmark in our Financial environment.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by TEEZERO(m): 4:21pm On Aug 14, 2009
New Acting CEOs have been named for the five banks. Lai Alabi (Intercontinental), Funke Osibodu (Union Bank), John Aboh (Oceanic), Nebolisa Arah (Afribank) and Susan Eroche (Finbank)
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by safariman(m): 4:22pm On Aug 14, 2009
CBN should look at themselves for not regulating these banks and for not examining them for "safety and soundness"
Some heads should roll at CBN as well.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by otukpo(f): 4:23pm On Aug 14, 2009
Well, the CBN is injecting N400B into these banks, so it has every right to protect these funds and the interest of Nigerians by the action it has taken.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by naijatoday: 4:30pm On Aug 14, 2009
safariman:

CBN should look at themselves for not regulating these banks and for not examining them for "safety and soundness"
Some heads should roll at CBN as well.  

You are right. Someone new have stepped in and we can see changes occurring.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by jacobs123(m): 4:30pm On Aug 14, 2009
instead of the banks to focus on real issues, they went for ego trips. Opening branch in London, advert on CNN, branding of Heathrow terminal 5.
The truth is that most of the bankers know nothing about banking, just traders (rightly called marketers) and if you combine this ignorance with the average Nigerian's lack of integrity and primitive greed you can only get this type of trouble.

People have said it on this forum in the past that Intercontinental, Oceanic were in trouble but some guys rushed to dismiss it and they are still claiming that Sanusi has ulterior motives.

I do not know the BOFIA act but I know Soludo forced out WEMA Bank's Omoyeni from office (how many of you remember) but no mention of the right of CBN then.

By the way only 10 of the banks have been audited and five found wanting. Sanusi kept saying that he won't do anything until all the banks have been audited but I have a feeling that there were pressures on him to stop the exercise from the banks who had been found wanting so he had to wield the big stick. (my evidence: Akingbola was with the Sultan some weeks back and Thisday also reported that he went to beg Obasanjo)

I believe Soludo was a man for his time just as Sanusi is proving to be. Soludo started well and fell off and I wasn't surprised to see him fall off , when you have these corrupt bankers enticing you with money and you remember your poverty days as a lecturer, it will only take special characer and integrity to resist and even at that NIgerians will not appreciate you. Soludo was probably the most glamorous governor of a central bank. (bank chiefs are supposed to be conservative imho!)
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by naijatoday: 4:31pm On Aug 14, 2009
Sanusi re-assures banks chairpersons of government’s support

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has reassured chairpersons of all the 25 Nigerian banks of the Federal Government’s resolve not to allow the financial services sector to cave in, as the regulatory bank embarks on wide-sweeping clean up of the industry.

Mr. Sanusi’s re-assurance follows the CBN sacking of five banks CEOs, which has thrown up panic in the financial services sector, with investors expressing concern about their investments in these banks.

The bank CEOs that were sacked included Oceanic International Bank Plc, Union Bank of Nigeria Plc, Intercontinental Bank Plc, Afribank Nigeria Plc and Finbank Plc.

At a meeting with bank’s board chairperson and CEOs at the CBN regional office in Lagos on Friday, Mr. Sanusi was said to have explained that the clean up was necessary in order to restore confidence in the financial system.

Our source, who attended the meeting quoted the CBN governor as explaining that the sacking of the banks CEOs was as a result of the recent stress audit of 10 out of the 25 banks, in which the five affected banks were found to be unhealthy, while two of them were on the border line.

The source also revealed that the CBN governor said the regulator would continue the audit for the remaining 15 banks.

Meanwhile, latest reports from NEXT correspondent say that the Headquarters of some of the affected banks, notably, Union Bank and Afribank, have been overrun by security operatives.

NEXT gathered that police officers were early this morning deployed to the five banks ahead of Mr. Sanusi’s meeting with the banks officials who were ordered not to send proxies in view of the seriousness of the situation.

According to our correspondent, “there are heavy security presence at the Head Offices of Union Bank and Afribank. The entire Customs Street, Marina, where the CBN office is located and venue for the meeting is also heavily guarded.”

Mr. Sanusi is holding a press conference to intimate the public with developments in the industry.

http://www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Finance/5444521-146/story.csp
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by jaybee3(m): 4:33pm On Aug 14, 2009
@tkb417
I need to pick your brain on some side issues ma guy.
u on YIM?
if yes, pls add me.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by aieromon(m): 4:36pm On Aug 14, 2009
I can't wait to breathe fresh air in the banking sector.this serves as a warnin' to those conniving thieves that call themselves CEOs.when is Jim Ovia going to be booted out?
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Kobojunkie: 4:36pm On Aug 14, 2009
naijatoday:

I do not understand what you are saying. Are you asking why the CBN has not used the power before? If yes, that is the power of corruption. Did you not read the ThisDay article that said the CEO of Intercontinental ran to Ota to meet Obasanjo, to try and stop Sanusi (if the ThisDay story is true)

Well, I will not get into the IF of the ThisDay Story but, sure one could ask why it has not used it all this while.  One could also argue that this move might be to inject FAVORED people into these seats as well. So, when you say corruption has been reason why it has not been used, I would ask if this is not itself opening the door for the highest bidder to take over now.

naijatoday:

The problem is that in Nigeria some individuals have been made more powerful than the  institutions (banks).

The central bank is also suppose to be independent of the Federal Government. It should not take decisions from the Federal Government, that is why it is important that Presidents (like in the case of U.S) pick someone who has similar beliefs in their agenda.

Well, are you implying this move by the CBN is a political move then?
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Sunnybobo3(m): 4:37pm On Aug 14, 2009
33. (1) Where a bank informs the Bank that:-
(a) it is likely to become unable to meet its obligations
under this Decree; or
(b) it is about to become unable to meet its obligations
under this decree; or
(c) ti is insolvent; or
(d) where, after an examination under section 32 of this
Decree or otherwise howsoever, the Bank is
satisfied that the bank is in a grave situation as
regards the matter referred to in section 32 (1) of
this Decree, the Governor may be order in wiring
exercise any one or more of the powers specified in
subsection (2) of this section
(2) The Governor may be order in writing under subsection (1) of this
section:
(a) prohibit the bank from extending any further credit facility
for such period as may be set out in the order, and make the
prohibition subject to such exceptions, and impose such
conditions in relation to the exceptions as may be set out in
the order, and from time to time, by further other similarly
made, extend the aforesaid period;
(b) require the bank to take any steps or any action or to do or
not to do any act or thing whatsoever, in relation to the bank
or its business or its directions or officers which the Bank
may consider necessary and which is set out in the order,
within such time as may be stipulated therein;
(c) remove for reasons to be recorded in writing with effect from
such date as may be set out in the order, any manager or
officer of the bank, notwithstanding anything in any written
law or any limitations contained in the memorandum and
articles of association of the bank;
(d) in respect of a bank, notwithstanding anything in any written
law or any limitation contained in the memorandum and
articles of association of the bank; maximum number of
directors, for reasons to be recorded in writing:-
(i) remove from office, with effect from such date as may be set
out in the order, any director of the bank; or
(ii) appoint any person or persons as a director or
directors of the bank, and provide in the order for
the person or persons so appointed to be paid by
the bank such remuneration as may be set out in
the order;

http://www.cenbank.org/out/Publications/bsd/1991/bofia.pdf
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 4:39pm On Aug 14, 2009
jacobs123:

instead of the banks to focus on real issues, they went for ego trips. Opening branch in London, advert on CNN, branding of Heathrow terminal 5.
The truth is that most of the bankers know nothing about banking, just traders (rightly called marketers) and if you combine this ignorance with the average Nigerian's lack of integrity and primitive greed you can only get this type of trouble.

People have said it on this forum in the past that Intercontinental, Oceanic were in trouble but some guys rushed to dismiss it and they are still claiming that Sanusi has ulterior motives.

I do not know the BOFIA act but I know Soludo forced out WEMA Bank's Omoyeni from office (how many of you remember) but no mention of the right of CBN then.

By the way only 10 of the banks have been audited and five found wanting. Sanusi kept saying that he won't do anything until all the banks have been audited but I have a feeling that there were pressures on him to stop the exercise from the banks who had been found wanting so he had to wield the big stick. (my evidence: Akingbola was with the Sultan some weeks back and Thisday also reported that he went to beg Obasanjo)

I believe Soludo was a man for his time just as Sanusi is proving to be. Soludo started well and fell off and I wasn't surprised to see him fall off , when you have these corrupt bankers enticing you with money and you remember your poverty days as a lecturer, it will only take special characer and integrity to resist and even at that NIgerians will not appreciate you. Soludo was probably the most glamorous governor of a central bank. (bank chiefs are supposed to be conservative imho!)

Is there anything wrong in advertising in Europe?
It is for biz to grow and if they can attribute their actions to growth, i see nothing wrong in it at all.
i would rather say, it is time to talk to the CBN and change how the $$ are being sold and all the rules that surrounds the sales of it.
They need to worry about how to give loan to people that really needed it.,
Even the USA recognizes that small and medium biz is always the heart of any economical growth, but Nigeria will rather loan Billions to one person that will use the money to marry her daughters out in elaborate wedding while celebrating parties all over the place.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by naijatoday: 4:45pm On Aug 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Well, I will not get into the IF of the ThisDay Story but, sure one could ask why it has not used it all this while.  One could also argue that this move might be to inject FAVORED people into these seats as well. So, when you say corruption has been reason why it has not been used, I would ask if this is not itself opening the door for the highest bidder to take over now.

Well, are you implying this move by the CBN is a political move then?

Is that not what public company is all about? The highest bidder upon the approval of the Central bank. Well we would have to wait and see, the CBN should insist the new bidders should be made public and the amount of share they are buying.

I said [b]suppose [/b]because of your statement below.

Are you saying the Nigerian government has had this power over banks since then or something?
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by freezy(m): 4:51pm On Aug 14, 2009
Lai Alabi (Intercontinental) - Dunno Much. former ED Union Bank
Funke Osibodu (Union Bank) Was disgraced out of Ecobank, left for First bank as an ED was staged out, , before going to Viju
John Aboh (Oceanic) - Union Bank, First Bank
Nebolisa Arah (Afribank) - Caused trouble Fidelity discount house
Susan Eroche (Finbank) Funke's friend. They chop money together

Looking at this list, I think I prefer the ousted  crew.
We really can deceive ourselves in this country.
Fela was so right
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Sunnybobo3(m): 4:52pm On Aug 14, 2009
Sunny_bobo:

33. (1) Where a bank informs the Bank that:-
(a) it is likely to become unable to meet its obligations
under this Decree; or
(b) it is about to become unable to meet its obligations
under this decree; or
(c) ti is insolvent; or
(d) where, after an examination under section 32 of this
subsection (2) of this section
section:
(a) prohibit the bank from extending any further credit facility
for such period as may be set out in the order, and make the
prohibition subject to such exceptions, and impose such
conditions in relation to the exceptions as may be set out in
the order, and from time to time, by further other similarly
made, extend the aforesaid period;
(b) require the bank to take any steps or any action or to do or
not to do any act or thing whatsoever, in relation to the bank
or its business or its directions or officers which the Bank
may consider necessary and which is set out in the order,
within such time as may be stipulated therein;
(d) in respect of a bank, notwithstanding anything in any written
law or any limitation contained in the memorandum and
articles of association of the bank; maximum number of
directors, for reasons to be recorded in writing:-
(i) remove from office, with effect from such date as may be set
out in the order, any director of the bank; or
(ii) appoint any person or persons as a director or
directors of the bank, and provide in the order for
the person or persons so appointed to be paid by
the bank such remuneration as may be set out in
the order;

http://www.cenbank.org/out/Publications/bsd/1991/bofia.pdf

The CBN governor has the right to fire any body as stipulated above
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by blackchief(m): 4:52pm On Aug 14, 2009
Nigeria--------- jaga----------------------------- jaga
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 4:55pm On Aug 14, 2009
Lol
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by naso2(m): 4:57pm On Aug 14, 2009
freezy:

[b]Funke Osibodu (Union Bank) Was disgraced out of Ecobank, left for First bank as an ED was staged out, , before going to Viju[/b]John Aboh (Oceanic) - Union Bank, First Bank

Fela was so right

Well I have my doubts too, expecially for people like funke and nebolisa ara.  But Funke never went to FBN. please note
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Ibime(m): 4:58pm On Aug 14, 2009
For this move, I gbadun Sanusi!
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by eplanner: 5:01pm On Aug 14, 2009
This na serious matter
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Sunnybobo3(m): 5:02pm On Aug 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

d) where, after an examination under section 32 of this
subsection (2) of this section.
section:

Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by seunallday: 5:05pm On Aug 14, 2009
jenju:

It seems to me that the issue is not weather the CBN has the right to legally sack CEOs of banks.  Fact remains that, the CBN has no authority to sack the CEO of any corporation and these CEOs are typically accountable only the board of directors and shareholders.

What is happenening here is a takeover of these named banks by the CBN.  The banks will be otherwise forced into bankrupcy because of capitalization problems. Given the banks' high level of bad loans that are unrecoverable, N400billion at least,  the CBN had to take over these banks and provide the necessary capital to keep the banks afloat.  Since CBN now controls the banks (as a condition for injecting N400b), they become legally empowered to fire the CEOs.

If the CBN had not injected the said funds, these banks would have had to go bankrupt. Imagine what that will do to the economy.

This is the kind of bailout which took place in the US during their savings & loans scandal.

May Allah in his infinite mercies bail Nigeria out of the strangle hold of the thieving elite.

Cheers,
J

BROS, CBN HAS NO AUTHORITY TO SACK CEOS BUT THEY CAN SHELL OUT 400BILLION, IF I COME TO PAY UR SALARY, THEN I CAN FIRE YOUR BOSS, LOL,

AT LEAST NOW SOMEONE IS DOIN SOME BITING, SANUSI , NICE MOVE

otukpo:

the banks are the reason inflation is too high in Nigeria.

The CBN has to do more than sacking these banks  chiefs

DATS NOT TRUE, ELABORATE ON DAT PLS
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 5:07pm On Aug 14, 2009
seunallday:

BROS, CBN HAS NO AUTHORITY TO SACK CEOS BUT THEY CAN SHELL OUT 400BILLION, IF I COME TO PAY UR SALARY, THEN I CAN FIRE YOUR BOSS, LOL,
AT LEAST NOW SOMEONE IS DOIN SOME BITING, SANUSI , NICE MOVE
DATS NOT TRUE, ELABORATE ON DAT PLS

If you read Jenju's post well, you will realize that you are simply saying same thing.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by kokoA(m): 5:10pm On Aug 14, 2009
freezy:

Funke Osibodu (Union Bank) Was disgraced out of Ecobank, left for First bank as an ED was staged out, , before going to Viju
John Aboh (Oceanic) - Union Bank, First Bank

Fela was so right

Good work, but incomplete. Can you give us links to their profiles. Thank you.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by No2Atheism(m): 5:12pm On Aug 14, 2009
Na wa for nigeria o, the more you look the less you see.

I have never trusted banks, even with the rate at they recapitalise. I still believe the number of banks should be reduced by at least half i.e. forcing them to merge with themselves again.

I find it annoying that most streets now have banks (which begs the questions) : does it mean each blood street is generating enough revenue to warrant a bank or something.

I worked for an Oil Servicing company made me realise that something was seriously wrong with those banks and their staffs considering that they seem to be living larger than even the so called oil and gas company staff (who are supposed to be the highest paid in the land).

Nigerian economy is bad yet banks keep claiming lots of profits (how the heck is that possible) or does it mean money is being made out of thin air or something.

I hope this is not just smokescreen from Sanusi, cus personally i would be glad if the banks are merged together or something. The earlier the better. Enough of nigerians losing money for no reason.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by sheriffman(m): 5:13pm On Aug 14, 2009
The Central Bank of Nigeria has moved to inject N400 billion into five banks in the country following the decision to remove the CEOs and executive directors of the affected banks. The affected institutions are Intercontinental Bank Plc, Union Bank of Nigeria Plc, Oceanic International Bank Plc, Finbank Plc and Afribank Plc.

The CEOs that have been sacked by the CBN are Erastus Akingbola (Intercontinental Bank); Okey Nwosu (Finbank); Sebastian Adigwe (Afribank); Mrs Cecelia Ibru (Oceanic Bank); and Bartholomew Ebong (Union Bank).

But in a pre-emptive move, Erastus Akingbola, MD/CEO of Intercontinental Bank who got wind of his impending removal called his executive directors to inform them of their certain sack by the CBN.

Akingbola was said to have rushed to Ota yesterday to elicit the support of former President Olusegun Obasanjo to intervene on his behalf and call President Umaru Yar’Adua to stop the CBN from carrying out the sack.

However, the CBN governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, who made this decision known this morning at the Emergency Bankers’ Committee convened by the CBN in Lagos, explained exclusively to THISDAY that the decision was being taken to safeguard the financial sector from systemic collapse.

He said following the audit exercise conducted by CBN’s examiners it was discovered that five of the banks had accumulated margin loans of N500 billion, among other loans, that had gone bad and eroded their shareholders’ funds.

“Some of these banks are quite large institutions and they have been mismanaged, so we had to move in to send a strong signal that such recklessness on the part of bank executives will no longer be tolerated.”

He said the CBN had obtained the approval of the President to inject N400 billion into the affected banks to shore up their tier 2 capital to minimum acceptable levels.

Sanusi added that the funds being injected by the CBN was just temporary and does not translate to the government taking a stake in the five banks, as the interim management will be given a period to recapitalise the affected institutions, following which the N400 billion will be paid back to the CBN.

On how the CBN will prevent a run on the banks and create panic in the economy, Sanusi said the CBN intends to make it clear that the money being injected by the reserve bank as well as the decision to guarantee interbank placement should allay depositors’ concerns.

The CBN, he stated, stands ready to ensure that no bank collapses in the country, but will encourage them to seek for funds to raise fresh capital and merge with stronger banks.

He said an interim management and board for the affected banks will be put in place to run the institutions until they are taken over by new management teams and owners.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by naijatoday: 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2009
Sanusi asks chairpersons, boards of affected banks to co-operate

The governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Sanusi Lamido, has been in talks with chief executives of the five banks which failed a test audit and subsequently had their CEOs sacked last night. The banks are Intercontinental Bank, Union Bank, Afribank, Oceanic Bank and FinBank.

The meeting was preceded by a mandatory meeting with the chief executives of all twenty three of Nigeria’s banks, which ended about an hour ago.

Atedo Peterside, the chief executive of Stanbic IBTC bank, who spoke to NEXT a short while ago, said, “The mood was sober. It was obvious that he [Sanusi] chose each word very carefully. They will coerce the banks to come clean and recognise their losses immediately. They will go after the individuals, executive management and debtors who erred, but will save the banks and so, depositors need not panic.”

Other sources present at that meeting told NEXT that the CBN’s hard-line stance made it a tense one.

One CEO, Erastus Akingbola, formerly of Intercontinental Bank, was absent at the meeting.

Mr. Akingbola was said to be absent because he had handed in a resignation letter to the chairman of his bank early on Friday morning and was therefore a “resigned CEO” as at the time today’s meeting with all bank chiefs.

Already, the CBN has appointed Lai Alabi as acting Managing director of Intercontinental Bank.

The first meeting, which held at the CBN regional office in Lagos, began with Mr. Lamido disclosing the results of the stress audit and confirmed that the government was committed to backing the banks and revamping the sector in the interest of the economy. He ended his address by saying he would rather the CEOs present did not speak, seeing as they were in the midst of the issue. He, instead, said that bank chairmen should feel free to comment on the development. Two people spoke.

The CBN governor thereafter met with Chairmen and the Boards of the five affected banks. Banking sources disclose he has asked chairmen of the Board to work with him to reform the banks. Mr. Lamido is reportedly basing his actions on the fact that the chairmen and the boards of these banks most likely had no knowledge of the management’s actions concerning the matter.

Meanwhile, insiders in the financial services sector have told NEXT this will not be the first time the CBN has had to wield the big stick on erring bankers. “You will recall that Wema bank had management and shareholders’ funds misappropriation issues and the CBN stepped in, put it in receivership temporarily until it stabilised. Why there is an uproar is the calibre of people, and top-tier banks involved. Sadly, anyone sacked will never work in a financial institution; that is the law.”

http://www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Finance/5444529-146/Sanusi_asks_chairpersons,_boards_of_affected.csp
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2009
Nigerian banks are making so much money that it is not funny.
banks are selling exam forms.
banks are selling lotto tickets.
banks are selling charge cards
Give loans
funds projects
invest on behalf of people.
With a population like what we have, banking industry is milking
So i am not surprised that they have so many banks, cos they have liquidity that other coys dont.
They just need to be biz smart and take out sentiment away from biz

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

How Did You Make It In Life? / Starting A Security Company In Nigeria / The Alade Mall To Cost N13b, To Be Completed In 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.