Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,755 members, 7,955,870 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:32 PM

CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks (30514 Views)

Economic Crisis: Five Banks’ Profit Drop By N54bn / Five Banks Lose N312m To Cbn’s Sanctions / Cbn Sacks Ceos And Management Of Five Nigerian Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by qkman: 5:15pm On Aug 14, 2009
The Central Bank of Nigeria has appointed acting chief executives to replace the five sacked last night.

The new executives are Nebolisah Arah (Afribank Nigeria Plc), Susan Iroche (Finbank Plc), Funke Osibodu (Union Bank of Nigeria plc), Lai Alabi (Intercontinental Bank Plc), and Jon Aboh (Oceanic International Banks).

The new appointees were not at a meeting held early today between the CBN governor and bank chiefs.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by yinkacrown(m): 5:18pm On Aug 14, 2009
Its okay sack.  But I think the manner the sack was executed is not the best.  

This change of management could have been done/managed in a much better way.  Right now, the people I pity the most are the marketers of these banks in question.  I wonder how the banking halls of these banks will look like next Monday morning, full of customers who are eager to withdraw all thier money "before thier money goes with the banks".

I would have preferred a more stable approach.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Kobojunkie: 5:19pm On Aug 14, 2009
This move on the surface sounds pleasant BUT knowing how most of these things turn out in the case of Nigeria. I am not sure if to rejoice or start PANICKING at the moment. I mean Lamido is new but I wonder if Yar adua's government has any hand in this. I mean he was appointed by Yar adua and it is likely he might just be carrying out orders as we have seen many in the past do.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by nex(m): 5:20pm On Aug 14, 2009
I thank God for everyone that has come here to speak the truth and those that were not well informed before but now know.

But the stubborn ones who resist knowledge in a Boko Haram style. Whether you like it or not, CBN has the right, and is doing It's duty.

I know one day Nairalanders will say the NNPC has no right to shut down any filling station even though they're selling explosive kerosene. After all, It's their own kerosene and the NNPC did not invest in them. So only their board of directors can decide if they should shut down or not. The NNPC can only write a letter.

See their head! I've never seen a land like Nigeria were people so vehemently rebuked their helpers.

That is how CBN warned Nigerians 2 years ago to stop patronising WONDER BANKS but Nigerians refused. When I posted against these wonder banks: insults, abuses, threats, attacks. Seun will delete those Wonder Bank ADs from Politics thread: accusations, distrust, suspicion.

When the wonder owners of those Ponzi schemes ran away with their money, the started crying that CBN should have shut down the banks rather than just warning them. They said denex should have talked to them like a brother rather than just condemning their investments. The claimed that Seun should have appealed to them on the issue rather than shouting it down on them. However where is the money today? Gone forever.

Now something similar is about to happen and the people that can help have come in their capacity to help. The soon-to-be victims are here again to tear us down. To tear the CBN down. God save Nigerians. The country is okay. It is the ignorance of a large percentage of the people that can drag this entire planet into a black hole.

FineCat and the rest of you, leave them. They have another lesson they want to learn. You just take necessary action to protect your finances them leave the fly that loves the dead body to enter the grave with it.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by naijatoday: 5:21pm On Aug 14, 2009
yinkacrown:

Its okay sack.  But I think the manner the sack was executed is not the best.  

This change of management could have been done/managed in a much better way.  Right now, the people I pity the most are the marketers of these banks in question.  I wonder how the banking halls of these banks will look like next Monday morning,  full of customers who are eager to withdraw all thier money "before thier money goes with the banks".

I would have preferred a more stable approach.

What will have been a better way. No matter what some people will still make a run on this banks to collect their money.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 5:23pm On Aug 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

This move on the surface sounds pleasant BUT knowing how most of these things turn out in the case of Nigeria. I am not sure if to rejoice or start PANICKING at the moment. I mean Lamido is new but I wonder if Yar adua's government has any hand in this. I mean he was appointed by Yar adua and it is likely he might just be carrying out orders as we have seen many in the past do.

Well, let us keep watching and see how it will unfold.
if the news of the 400B naira that was injected into the system is true, then, i think the CBN has done well, but i wont overdance yet, till we see how this will affect the economy and when the real reasons unfold {if there is any, that we dont know yet}
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by peper1: 5:28pm On Aug 14, 2009
I just hope that this is not a plot by sanusi to dismiss the people that is likely to cause him obstacles in perpetrating his evil deeds in the bankin industry, anyway time will tell. I also read that Soludo, the former CBN Governor advanced soft loans to the Sacked CEOs which is later to purchased by him Soludo as a Bad debt.

Furthermore, i'll like to know the biographical C.Vs of these so called new CEO appointees.I think Sanusi is running to fast than his legs.

I say again time will tell.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by bibiking1(m): 5:30pm On Aug 14, 2009
nex:

I thank God for everyone that has come here to speak the truth and those that were not well informed before but now know.

But the stubborn ones who resist knowledge in a Boko Haram style. Whether you like it or not, CBN has the right, and is doing It's duty.

I know one day Nairalanders will say the NNPC has no right to shut down any filling station even though they're selling explosive kerosene. After all, It's their own kerosene and the NNPC did not invest in them. So only their board of directors can decide if they should shut down or not. The NNPC can only write a letter.

See their head! I've never seen a land like Nigeria were people so vehemently rebuked their helpers.

That is how CBN warned Nigerians 2 years ago to stop patronising WONDER BANKS but Nigerians refused. When I posted against these wonder banks: insults, abuses, threats, attacks. Seun will delete those Wonder Bank ADs from Politics thread: accusations, distrust, suspicion.

When the wonder owners of those Ponzi schemes ran away with their money, the started crying that CBN should have shut down the banks rather than just warning them. They said denex should have talked to them like a brother rather than just condemning their investments. The claimed that Seun should have appealed to them on the issue rather than shouting it down on them. However where is the money today? Gone forever.

Now something similar is about to happen and the people that can help have come in their capacity to help. The soon-to-be victims are here again to tear us down. To tear the CBN down. God save Nigerians. The country is okay. It is the ignorance of a large percentage of the people that can drag this entire planet into a black hole.

FineCat and the rest of you, leave them. They have another lesson they want to learn. You just take necessary action to protect your finances them leave the fly that loves the dead body to enter the grave with it.

This man, you never stop amazing me, Nice punchline though, But the issues that should arise from this incidence are a lot more potent than what has been addressed here!
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by speeddater: 5:31pm On Aug 14, 2009
NO need to panic. Your money is safe.  Most of the jobs in the bank too are safe. They might just cut salaries a bit (a little below industry average) if its very high.

This move is to protect depositor and other players in the industry. So rest easy. No reason to pull out your money form the ATM or jam the banking halls on monday.

YOUR MONEY IS SAFE
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by ehie007(m): 5:36pm On Aug 14, 2009
why didnt SOludo check this during his time,

after all theses banks were not really the big banks,
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by qkman: 5:40pm On Aug 14, 2009
As a crucial meeting between the the governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Sanusi Lamido, and CEOs of the nation’s banks is ongoing, industry sources have disclosed to NEXT that the sack of CEOs and management staff of five major Nigerian banks is the “CBN now acting in its full capacity”.

“What has happened is that these banks have not kept to the stipulations of corporate governance. There is no bank that is not exposed, but these sacks are likely about gross marginal exposure, to just a few corporate entities and individuals,” disclosed one of our sources, a top executive with a new-generation bank.

Another disclosed that police officers are currently on the premises of headquarters of all five banks affected, showing the hard-line stance that the CBN has adopted over reviving the sector; “continued failure of regulation and risk management of the nation’s financial institutions and the effects on banks is at the front-burner of this meeting, which is why no representatives have been allowed.”

It was also revealed that CEO of Bank PHB, Francis Atuche, was one of several executives who hurriedly booked flights in and outside of the country to attend the meeting.

Advising shareholders not to panic, the bank official said that the Central Bank of Nigeria’s motives were well-intended.

“These bankers have most likely been sacked because the government plans to re-inject funds into the banks, and to do so, they will have to oversee its management until the bank is on its feet again. It could have been worse, had the mismanagement been allowed to snowball into the beginnings of a financial crisis quite like that seen in the West.”

He added that this situation was not an industry first. “You will recall that Wema bank had management and shareholders’ funds misappropriation issues and the CBN stepped in, put it in receivership temporarily until it stabilised. Why there is an uproar is the calibre of people, and top-tier banks involved. Sadly, anyone sacked will never work in a financial institution; that is the law.”

Confirming that calls had been made by concerned bankers and shareholders across the nation’s 23 banks on the need for the CBN to clarify the situation, our source said: “until the CBN makes a categorical and detailed statements explaining its actions and the consequences to the Nigerian public, developments like this can in no way help the stock market. I cannot confirm the actual values right now but shareholder value is decreasing even as we speak.”
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by No2Atheism(m): 5:42pm On Aug 14, 2009
I would suggest the Sanusi forces them to merge again, so as to further expose the incompetent ones amongst them and thus reduce the number of banks and bank branches in the country and thus at least create much more stable banks.

As far as am concerned there are too many banks, already.

It is sign of financial danger and problems for a so called bank to be in the business of selling recharge cards ( shocked shocked shocked), no matter how you paint it. Selling or forwarding or wholesaling recharge cards is not part of banking,
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 5:44pm On Aug 14, 2009
qkman:

As a crucial meeting between the the governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Sanusi Lamido, and CEOs of the nation’s banks is ongoing, industry sources have disclosed to NEXT that the sack of CEOs and management staff of five major Nigerian banks is the “CBN now acting in its full capacity”.

“What has happened is that these banks have not kept to the stipulations of corporate governance. There is no bank that is not exposed, but these sacks are likely about gross marginal exposure, to just a few corporate entities and individuals,” disclosed one of our sources, a top executive with a new-generation bank.

Another disclosed that police officers are currently on the premises of headquarters of all five banks affected, showing the hard-line stance that the CBN has adopted over reviving the sector; “continued failure of regulation and risk management of the nation’s financial institutions and the effects on banks is at the front-burner of this meeting, which is why no representatives have been allowed.”

It was also revealed that CEO of Bank PHB, Francis Atuche, was one of several executives who hurriedly booked flights in and outside of the country to attend the meeting.

Advising shareholders not to panic, the bank official said that the Central Bank of Nigeria’s motives were well-intended.

“These bankers have most likely been sacked because the government plans to re-inject funds into the banks, and to do so, they will have to oversee its management until the bank is on its feet again. It could have been worse, had the mismanagement been allowed to snowball into the beginnings of a financial crisis quite like that seen in the West.”

He added that this situation was not an industry first. “You will recall that Wema bank had management and shareholders’ funds misappropriation issues and the CBN stepped in, put it in receivership temporarily until it stabilised. Why there is an uproar is the calibre of people, and top-tier banks involved. Sadly, anyone sacked will never work in a financial institution; that is the law.”

Confirming that calls had been made by concerned bankers and shareholders across the nation’s 23 banks on the need for the CBN to clarify the situation, our source said: “until the CBN makes a categorical and detailed statements explaining its actions and the consequences to the Nigerian public, developments like this can in no way help the stock market. I cannot confirm the actual values right now but shareholder value is decreasing even as we speak.”

thanks for the great news, hope it will all be for the better
No2Atheism:

I would suggest the Sanusi forces them to merge again, so as to further expose the incompetent ones amongst them and thus reduce the number of banks and bank branches in the country and thus at least create much more stable banks.

As far as am concerned there are too many banks, already.

It is sign of financial danger and problems for a so called bank to be in the business of selling recharge cards ( shocked shocked shocked), no matter how you paint it. Selling or forwarding or wholesaling recharge cards is not part of banking,

Bigger is never a solution, the bigger it gets, the more difficult it will be to manage them and the more difficult it will be to be transparent
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by kokoA(m): 5:46pm On Aug 14, 2009
ehie007:

why didnt SOludo check this during his time,

after all theses banks were not really the big banks,

He is not a risk manager.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 5:49pm On Aug 14, 2009
kokoA:

Fact be told
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by 9ja4eva: 5:50pm On Aug 14, 2009
I think its a good move
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by MrCrackles(m): 5:53pm On Aug 14, 2009
Jenju:

Fact remains that, the CBN has no authority to sack the CEO of any corporation and these CEOs are typically accountable only the board of directors and shareholders.

Spot on!
An exception in the case where Govt. funds were pumped in to bail out the banks is the only valid reason for such act in this case
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by MrCrackles(m): 5:55pm On Aug 14, 2009
Good move by CBN. . . The banking sector needs a thorough sanitization. . .
The legality of the sacking exercise is questionable though! undecided
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 5:56pm On Aug 14, 2009
MrCrackles:

Good move by CBN. . . The banking sector needs a thorough sanitization. . .
The legality of the sacking exercise is questionable though! undecided

So if you agree it was a good move, who would have made the move.
I was made aware that the FG/CBN has injected like 400M into these banks and that gives them the right to make sure there investment is well spent, and get rid of anyone that is gonna make the investment collapse
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Wumami: 5:58pm On Aug 14, 2009
Ok, for those in doubt about bofid 1991 and powers of the CBN

S33
Where a bank informs the Bank (CBN) that -

(a)        it is likely to become unable to meet its obligations under this Decree; or

(b)       it is about to suspend payment to any extent; or

(c)        it is insolvent; or

(d)       where, after an examination under section 32 of this Decree or otherwise howsoever, the Bank is satisfied that the bank is in a grave situation as regards the matter referred to in section 32(1) of this Decree,

the Governor may by order in writing exercise any one or more of the power specified in subsection (2) of this section.

(2)        The Governor may be order in writing under subsection (1) of this section-

(a)        prohibit the bank from extending any further credit facility for such period as may be set out the order, and make the prohibition subject to such exceptions, and impose such conditions in relation to the exceptions as may be set out in the order, and from time to time, by further order similarly made, extend the aforesaid period;

(b)       require the bank to take any steps or any action or to do or not to do any act or thing whatsoever, in relation to the bank or its business or its directors or officers which the Bank may consider necessary and which is set out in the order, within such time as may be stipulated therein;

(c)        with the approval of the President, remove for reasons to be recorded in writing, with effect from such date as may be set out in the order, any manager or officer of the bank, notwithstanding anything in any written law, or any limitations contained in the memorandum and articles of association of the bank;

(d)       in respect of a bank, notwithstanding anything in any written law or any limitations contained in the memorandum and articles of association of the bank, and in particular, notwithstanding any limitation therein as to the minimum or maximum number of directors, for reason to be recorded in writing -

(i)         remove from officer, with effect from such date as may be set out in the order, any director of the bank; or

(ii)        appoint any person or persons as a director or directors of the bank, and provide in the order for the person or persons so appointed to be paid by the bank such remuneration as may be set out in the order;

(e)        appoint any person to advise the bank in relation to the proper conduct of its business, and provide in the order for the person so appointed to be paid by the bank such remuneration as may be set out in the order.

Link: http://www.nigeria-law.org/BanksAndOtherFinancialInstitutionsDecree1991.htm
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 5:58pm On Aug 14, 2009
Thanks for that jare.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by TEEZERO(m): 6:00pm On Aug 14, 2009
For crying out loud, CBN just bailed out the banks. It only makes sense to put its own managers in charge.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by unclepauly: 6:01pm On Aug 14, 2009
CBN has the legal backing to sack any Nigeria Bank MD that have erred. This legal backing is called the BOFIA ACT of which is part of the 1999 constitution. The MD/CEO of these bank given out loans in excess of their shareholders funds and even possible, customers depoist. When you critical look at their lending process, it has some serious comma. What I mean is there is always a limit to which you can lend to an individual or sector. Proper lending propcess was never properly followed and as such need fully collatering each facility. Take for example that of Access bank & AP.

But let the truth be said: no bank is free from these act of sabotage, its just that some are more guilty than others for now.

People we need to take into consideration(analyse) report we get to read like the one about strong, ok and failing banks which list First Bank, Diamond bank Skye Bank & GT Bank as strong bank and try no to allow the media fool us sometimes. If he read in between the lines and the action of CBN we would have known that something like this would happen sooner than later.

thanks
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by spicy007(f): 6:05pm On Aug 14, 2009
to all you financial analysts and risk experts,
wot do you suggest if you had money in any of these banks?

A. wait patiently for the govt to pump in the 500bn rescue fund,, while praying to God to wade in
B. withdraw your hard-earned income in those banks and flee for your dear lives, rent a piggy bank and store it in your bedroom till this blows over
C. withdraw your money and put it in any of the other banks not YET affected

please respond
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by sharpman1(m): 6:06pm On Aug 14, 2009
Sacked CEOs guilty of ‘poor corporate governance practices'

By Stanley Oronsaye and Oluwaseyi Bangugu

August 14, 2009

The CBN governor, Sanusi Lamido has disclosed that the five banks, which were run by the recently sacked CEOs, accounted for a "disproportionate component" of the industry's total exposure to the capital market and oil and gas sectors. According to him, "the total loan portfolio of these five banks was N2,801.92 billion; margin loans amounted to N456.28 billion and exposure to oil and gas was N487.02 billion. Aggregate non-performing loans stood at N1.143 billion representing 40.81per cent".

The banks are: Oceanic International Bank Plc; Afribank Nigeria Plc; Intercontinental Bank Plc; Union Bank Plc; and Finbank Plc.

Mr. Sanusi also confirmed that the banks "were either perennial net-takers of funds in the inter-bank market or enjoyed liquidity support from the CBN for long periods of time, a clear evidence of illiquidity." He added that one of them is technically insolvent, with a Capital Adequacy Ratio of 10 per cent.Accordingly the five CEOs were immediately replaced on Friday,

They are:

Nebolisah Arah - to replace Sebastian Adigwe in Afribank Nigeria Plc.

Susan Iroche - replaces Okey Nwosu at Finbank Plc.

Funke Osibodu - replaces Bathlomew Ebong at Union Bank of Nigeria plc.

Lai Alabi - Erastus Akingbola at Intercontinental Bank Plc.

John Aboh - Cecelia Ibru, at Oceanic International Bank Plc, hitherto the only female bank chief executive in Nigeria.

The announcements did not go down well with the indicted bankers, as Mr. Ebong was visibly upset, while Erastus was more proactive, resigning his appointment hours before his sack was made public.

The CBN governor, who addressed the press in company of Steve Oronsaye, Head of Service of the federation, said the sacked banks' CEOs had displayed "excessively high level of non-performing loans in the five banks is attributable to poor corporate governance practices, lax administration processes and the absence or non-adherence to the banks' credit risk management practices,"

Mr. Sanusi said the CBN would inject N400bn into the five Nigerian banks, whose outstanding amount at the expanded discount window was put at about N256.571 billion, at as at June 4.

Apart from the five banks, other banks whose operations underwent a Stress Audit by the CBN are First Bank Plc, Diamond Bank Plc, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, Sterling Bank Plc and United Bank for Africa Plc.
Contrary to insinuations that the sacking of the five CEOs were done unilaterally, Mr Sanusi, explained that his actions had the blessing of President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 6:08pm On Aug 14, 2009
spicy007:

to all you financial analysts and risk experts,
wot do you suggest if you had money in any of these banks?

A. wait patiently for the govt to pump in the 500bn rescue fund,, while praying to God to wade in
B. withdraw your hard-earned income in those banks and flee for your dear lives, rent a piggy bank and store it in your bedroom till this blows over
C. withdraw your money and put it in any of the other banks not YET affected

please respond

I will not suggest to withdraw the money from the banks, cos they have liquid capital and i am sure your money is insured.
However, if it will make u feel better, u can take it out and invest into places that you are sure you will be safe.
But i am sure that time will tell, if other banks are safe or they are just good at covering tracks
I have always blved in the older banks like First banks and the UBA
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Gbawe: 6:17pm On Aug 14, 2009
kokoA:

That is no excuse !!! Soludo is a brilliant man. He is tacitly complicit in this current banking mess with how he failed to be on the side of ordinary Nigerians instead of his buddies in the 'new money' banking, finance and industry 'Oligarchy club'. Soludo is firmly elitist and venture capitalist in mentality. This is the reason he is no longer CBN Governor. Yar Adua is a confused man but he seems to abhor excessive materialism and wealth acquisition by a few at the expense of the State so long as it is not his friends and family involved. Soludo did many things right but still fell short of truly liberalising the banking sector and ensuring its top practioners opened up their services fairly to ordinary Nigerians.

Sanusi has my backing if he is doing what he is doing so that ordinary Nigerians have access to banking and monetary service that will improve their lives. Soludo, with all his economic brilliance , acted as if he was a CBN Governor for the rich and powerful.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by TEEZERO(m): 6:18pm On Aug 14, 2009
Just call it SANUSITATION! To bring some sanity to the sector
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by coolguyz(m): 6:19pm On Aug 14, 2009
@ jenju and crackles

its absolutely clear you are not conversant with the financial sector in nigeria and the laws governing the banks in nigeria.

all i can best say is that around the world, the financila sector remains the most regulated industry.

read the laws governing banks in nigeria and that would answer your question that CBN has the power to sack the management of any bank if they contravene certain guidleines.

to shed more light again -

the bank CEOs would be accused of rendering false returns to CBN. most of the bad loans were converted to CPs and BAs. thats why Union bank is on the list. all performing loans were passed to Consolidated Discount House. most of these banks do such for liquidity but when its abused and purposely to avoid provisioning.

my summation on a different page is as follows to briefly give you some basic things happening in the financial sector and this is from a practitioners point of view, we all saw this coming after the audit of all financila instuitutions books as at 28/02/2009 carried out in March/Aapril 2009  

Most of these banks have had non-performing loans mounting up to billions of naira and have ''financial engineeringly'' hid these loans from regulators simply by window dressing the portfolio by converting them to CPs and BAs sold to Discount Houses or fellow Banks to help shore up liquidity and save them from having to make provisions.
A recent audit of exposures to capital market and oil and gas operators by CBN of all financial institutions early this year revealed a lot of unhealthy financila practise with books of different books not tallying with claims they have.
Many of these institutions had to start selling back the CPs and BAs thus the staggering loan portfolios were back to their starting points and were HUGE that shocked the bank examiners themselves.
This findings was one of the reason for the recent pronouncement by the apex bank that CPs and BAs henceforth will no longer be treated as off-balance sheet items but on-balance sheet.
Returns by most of the banks were believed to have been engineered or reported differently. Borrowed funds securitised on buy-back agreements with conterparties were recorded as placements by some of these institutions while the counterparty in its own rendition to CBN during the exercise had probably described it in the right light. These conflicting reports led to massive queries served on virtually all the institutions to shed light on their returns. this led to more discoveries and sure must have given most of the top hierarchy in CBN goose pimples.
The action its believed to have been seen coming but not at this height. the audited accounts of these institutions are still under-going scrutiny over the provisions they have to make. its believed this delayed the release of oceanic's results while intercontinental bank's year end since february 2009 is yet to released as its still hanging with the regulatories over what level of disclosures to be made.

i'm sure everyone in the financila industry is aware of this/stuffs that have bn happening. The apex bank is of the view that relieving these CEOs of their jobs before government action on the loans will pave way for healthy competition and serve as lesson to others who have escaped the hammer not cos they were guilty of mismanagement of the loan portfolio disclosures over years but were bale to riggle out by turning most of these to performing or have been making adequte provisions over the years thus the shocks are easily absorbed by the institutions.
more reforms still under way from SLS. cos as a banker himself, he knows the ills and tricks being employed.

likewise, other stuffs such as single obligor limits, adherence to their credit risk policies, breach of basic ratios such as liquidity, capital adequacy using stress points were all committed
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Tudor6(f): 6:24pm On Aug 14, 2009
Well, well, well. . . . See the way sanusi brutally axed the incompetent CEO's. . . . A degree in sharia law does have it benefits i must say. . . . cheesy
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Tudor6(f): 6:24pm On Aug 14, 2009
Well, well, well. . . . See the way sanusi brutally axed the incompetent CEO's. . . . A degree in sharia law does have it benefits i must say. . . . cheesy
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by MrCrackles(m): 6:25pm On Aug 14, 2009
coolguyz:

@ jenju and crackles
its absolutely clear you are not conversant with the financial sector in nigeria and the laws governing the banks in nigeria.

My friend sharrap, what do you know?
All i said was the legality was questionable. . . And at first i didnt realise the banks had benefitted from "bail out funds"
"Mr Bernanke", na u sabi!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Mark Zuckerberg Reacts To Elon Musk's Challenge For MMA Fight / "I Will Make More Than King Solomon In The Bible" - Folorunsho Alakija / Naira Situation Worsens, Falls To N270/$

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.