Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks (29960 Views)

Economic Crisis: Five Banks’ Profit Drop By N54bn / Five Banks Lose N312m To Cbn’s Sanctions / Cbn Sacks Ceos And Management Of Five Nigerian Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by safariman(m): 7:30pm On Aug 14, 2009
The Nigerian banks have not historically been the fuel of economic growth or econ. development, we are a cash society
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by IFELEKE(m): 7:31pm On Aug 14, 2009
the economy is in trouble.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 7:32pm On Aug 14, 2009
safariman:

The Nigerian banks have not historically been the fuel of economic growth or econ. development, we are a cash society

We are cash society and when u sending money to abroad to use ur cash to buy those things, i guess, u email the money there?
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by TEEZERO(m): 7:34pm On Aug 14, 2009
Abi o?
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Finecat(m): 7:38pm On Aug 14, 2009
IFELEKE:

the economy is in trouble.

You just now figuring that out?? Didn't i predict this late last year. Sanusi is bringing a new era into banking and most bankers will run away from the job when the guy finish his reform. No bank in Naija is sound!!
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by safariman(m): 7:39pm On Aug 14, 2009
Yes, you email the money through EFT or electronic funds transfer, Many Nigerian banks have correspondence bank abroad.  Economy growth foster through when commercial banks when they take prudent risks
To stay on topic, and on record, while is within the law, I am not in favour of the head of CBN firing CEOs of commercial banks. Rather, I would like the board of directors to function as it should.  For criminal offences, I would rather have EFCC handle
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 7:41pm On Aug 14, 2009
safariman:

Yes, you email the money through EFT or electronic funds transfer, Many Nigerian banks have correspondence bank abroad.  Economy growth foster through when commercial banks when they take prudent risks
To stay on topic, and on record, while is within the law, I am not in favour of the head of CBN firing CEOs of commercial banks. Rather, I would like the board of directors to function as it should.  For criminal offences, I would rather have EFCC handle

Why using the banks at all, u could have put the money into you CD rom and just attach it to the mail now.
The banking system is so important to the growth of any nation.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by safariman(m): 7:45pm On Aug 14, 2009
@Fhemmmy
I totally agree with you that the banking industry is very important in any economic of any country. My point was Nigerian banks have not been the catalyst of that growth. It is very hard for any common businessman in Nigeria to obtain financing and many live on overdraft. Without financing by banks, who has the money to do big projects
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by senani(m): 7:55pm On Aug 14, 2009
yea right ! no way this is true .
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 7:57pm On Aug 14, 2009
safariman:

@Fhemmmy
I totally agree with you that the banking industry is very important in any economic of any country. My point was Nigerian banks have not been the catalyst of that growth. It is very hard for any common businessman in Nigeria to obtain financing and many live on overdraft. Without financing by banks, who has the money to do big projects

OK, i agree with yu on that one that getting loan from Nigerian banks is a waste of time to even try, cos the interest sef will kill your dream and biz, and the run around is not even worth it, so u have a point there
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by babalawo(m): 7:57pm On Aug 14, 2009
safariman:

@ safariman

I think the isue of the CBN firing the irreponsible boards  of banks shouls be laid to rest-since U said ur not in favour.
Its just that in Nigeria  we do not see institutions we see individuals and that is a lot of problem.For the records
the management of CBN sacked the board of 5 banks- we should not try to personalise institutions in the country.U should knw that in some countries the business of banking is entirely in the hands of the government - due to the sensitivity of  banking in any economy.
It cast serious aspersion on ur claims to have worked in commercial banks,as well as on the regulatory side !!!!
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by No2Atheism(m): 8:03pm On Aug 14, 2009
safariman:

hmm u sound like a beneficiary grin
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by safariman(m): 8:06pm On Aug 14, 2009
@babalawo
From what I read and from the subject topic, I thought it was the CEO that were sacked and not the board.  I am in favor of CBN dimissing the entire board if they are not doing their job
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Donmeca(m): 8:08pm On Aug 14, 2009
Fhemmmy:

OK, i agree with yu on that one that getting loan from Nigerian banks is a waste of time to even try, cos the interest sef will kill your dream and biz, and the run around is not even worth it, so u have a point there

Nigerian banks are not only banks but banking groups. All of them have business concerns like communication, agric, trans oil and gas, insurance, even
pfa's, importation and so on. So how can they lend u money to compete with them? They don't wanty be put out of biz?
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Finecat(m): 8:09pm On Aug 14, 2009
Can you imagine what panic this will cal 'morrow when this news get to the news media?? I expect a run on these banks come monday.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by IFELEKE(m): 8:09pm On Aug 14, 2009
Finecat:

You just now figuring that out?? Didn't i predict this late last year. Sanusi is bringing a new era into banking and most bankers will run away from the job when the guy finish his reform. No bank in Naija is sound!!
uhmm. . .lemme sleep over this.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by safariman(m): 8:10pm On Aug 14, 2009
@No2Atheism
No, I am not a beneficiary.  I am able to see things from a little bit different perspective.  I have been at CBN, First Bank and now at a bank overseas.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Finecat(m): 8:12pm On Aug 14, 2009
IFELEKE:

uhmm. . .lemme sleep over this.

Yeah sleep over it, just make sure is the long one. Yeye bank worker !!
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 14, 2009
We need more Sanusis in this country. Long Live Sanusi, Long live the republic
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by ekoree: 8:22pm On Aug 14, 2009
For those still in doubt on the powers of the CBN, as provided for in BOFIA, the CBN Governor responds :

", Consequently, having reviewed all the reports of the examiners and the comments of the Directors and Deputy Governors, I am satisfied that these 5 institutions are in a grave situation and that their Management have acted in a manner detrimental to the interest of their depositors and creditors. Therefore, in exercise of my powers as contained in Sections 33 and 35 of the Banks and other Financial institutions Act 1991, as amended, and after securing the consent of the Board Directors of the CBN. I hereby remove the Managing Directors and the Executive Directors of the following banks from office with effect from Friday, August 14, 2009.
Afribank Plc
Intercontinental Bank Plc
Union Bank of Nigeria Plc
Oceanic International Bank Plc
FinBank Plc
These persons forthwith cease to be directors and officers of their respective banks."
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by dearie(m): 8:23pm On Aug 14, 2009
@ Finecat,

Your comments are at best , of no substance!

shocked
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Nimshi: 8:37pm On Aug 14, 2009
Finecat:

Can you imagine what panic this will cal 'morrow when this news get to the news media?? I expect a run on these banks come monday.

The news already hit all the relevant organs of the mass media; and it did very shortly after the decision was made pubic. And for at least two of those banks, it was certain that the management had to face some death-dealing music. But panic selling? Who'll be buying? These banks are broker than broke. . . Monday 'll tell. Any big investor worth their salt would've picked these up; several analysts did. And it's been well-known Nigerian banks have been sick for a long time. Soludo exposed some of the underbelly. Now, Sanusi - a credit/risk man - is ripping open the rotten flesh of that underbelly. It's not going to be pretty; the stink will remain.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by zmurda(m): 8:40pm On Aug 14, 2009
Been trying to google up the names of the new CEOs to see their backgrounds. Nothing really outstanding. Not that I was expecting anything outstanding considering the people we haeve in government anyways.

What I would do if I had a lot of money is to buy up safer currencies, there is going to be some run on the Naira very soon. Much harder than the end of last year/ early this year.

Monetary sector in Naija is experiencing what other countries had last year, of course our own case is another case

tongue
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 8:41pm On Aug 14, 2009
Donmeca:

Nigerian banks are not only banks but banking groups. All of them have business concerns like communication, agric, trans oil and gas, insurance, even
pfa's, importation and so on. So how can they lend u money to compete with them? They don't wanty be put out of biz?

Well said, however, it is better they come clean to the masses then.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Finecat(m): 8:44pm On Aug 14, 2009
dearie:

@ Finecat,

Your comments are at best , of no substance!

shocked

Another banker, you guys are so easy to recognize. Always naive and lack analogy. It must be suck being you now.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 8:53pm On Aug 14, 2009
Finecat:

Another banker, you guys are so easy to recognize. Always naive and lack analogy. It must be suck being you now.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
easy oh
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Jerobans: 8:58pm On Aug 14, 2009
Finally the CEOs and Executive Directors that have hitherto been systematically stealing depositors and shareholders' money by sharing money among themselves in the form of loan which they will later fraudulently claim to be bad debts to the banks, have met their waterloo. I be live this is a step forward towards sanitizing the banking sector and restoring investors and depositors confidence again. I hope is going to be a continuous process and will also extend to other banks that are found wanting of any mishap.

One more thing I will actually love Sanusi to do is to investigate the rationale behind excessive, unnecessary and unexplainable deductions and charges some of these banks do. One of the banks known for this fraudulent and evil activity with headquarters in Marina, charges you for almost everything and funny enough without any genuine reason. I guess they even charge you for going into the banking premises, hall, Ac's etc

Something urgent ought to be done and this should be wholestic and sincere and absolutely devoid of any witchunting or victimization and politics.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Jarus(m): 9:02pm On Aug 14, 2009
This is a great decision only few people would not have hesitated to take. Sanusi did a great job. When SLS hinted of the bank audit exercise, I knew a lot of abracadabras going on in banks would be blown open but I never knew it could get to the extent of sacking these super CEOs. We only hope that Yar'adua will give Sanusi free hands. The man is a strict disciplinarian and a complete no-nonsense man. Sacking his colleagues is no small decision. Akingbola tried to stop him by prevailing on Obj but to no avail.

It was an open secret that all was not yet well with our banks.  I'm not canvassing for any bank, but if there is any bank I can vouch for it's cleanness(or at least near-cleanness) it has to be GTB, that is if the strong corporate governance built by Fola Adeola has not collapsed.

All these Intercontinental and Oceanic banks will now let us hear words on their market leadership noises, while the rating institutions that have been awarding both of them Nigeria's best banks will now know that there is more to it than those cooked results.

Now First Bank will easily lead the market by miles, and with strong warning to Zenith, it will also thread softly.

With this, Sanusi has won more fans. I can't wait to read the analyses and commentaries of newspaper columnists and analysts in the next two weeks.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 9:07pm On Aug 14, 2009
First bank all the way/
i am sure their own time will come too and sooner or later, there will be some axe up their a$$
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Observator: 9:08pm On Aug 14, 2009
Hmmn, I pray this will translate to better deal for the banking community.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 9:16pm On Aug 14, 2009
Observator:

Hmmn, I pray this will translate to better deal for the banking community.

Amen to dat
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Agbotoba(m): 9:19pm On Aug 14, 2009
A big lesson for other CEO's.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Starting A Security Company In Nigeria / The Alade Mall To Cost N13b, To Be Completed In 2018 / Naira Crosses 400/$ Mark At Parallel Market After FX Ban On 9 Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.