Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,886 members, 7,814,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival (10822 Views)

Celebrities At 5th Africa International Film Festival ,in Lekki Lagos / Reckless And Irresponsible Gulder Promo Image: Thumbs Down Gulder!! / If All The Guns In Action Movies Were Replaced With Thumbs-Ups... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by IbileIfe: 3:26pm On Aug 14, 2009
I have been going to the so called Lagos International Film Festival since Wednesday and I am disappointed by the poor organization and poor standards.

I cannot even write a good report as I did on the press parley of ION Film Festival published on Modern Ghana.

Nigerian Igbos are poor managers of their Nollywood film industry.

I have decided to start a real film festival as a model for Nigerian filmmakers and I will pass it on to the Yoruba Film Industry, because I know that Tunde Kelani will manage it well.

The organiser of the so called Lagos International Film Festival should call it Camel Film Festival and stop the misrepresentation of Lagos state with such a sham!

Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by yinkam: 11:49am On Aug 15, 2009
Oh dear! not again!!
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by spikedcylinder: 6:03pm On Aug 15, 2009
Ibile Ife:

Nigerian Igbos are poor managers of their Nollywood film industry.
I have decided to start a real film festival as a model for Nigerian filmmakers and I will pass it on to the Yoruba Film Industry, because I know that Tunde Kelani will manage it well.

Anyone who takes you seriously should be shot. undecided
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by IbileIfe: 6:49pm On Aug 15, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Anyone who takes you seriously should be shot. undecided

Those who have taken me serious are better than you.
From Emeka Enyiocha to the Publisher of Supple magazine in Nigeria and the Publishers of the Black Film Maker and Modern Ghana and others too numerous to mention.

Show me your works and I will tell you who you are.
Simple
~ Orikinla Osinachi
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by spikedcylinder: 7:05pm On Aug 15, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong but is Emeka Enyiocha not a "Nigerian Igbo"? Or have you begun to see ghosts? undecided
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by matiltomd(f): 7:49pm On Aug 15, 2009
@Spikedcylinder,you worry o!!! You no even allow me digest the post before you attack the bozo, grin grin grin grin
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by AloyEmeka6: 8:11pm On Aug 15, 2009
Lamidi Obi again?. I forgot, this Ibile can speak english. lipsrsealed
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 8:18pm On Aug 15, 2009
WHO CARES WHAT TRIBE!!

WHAT DOES TRIBE HAVE TO DO WITH MANAGEMENT?

ABEG, STOP LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO BLAME. WHAT DOES BEING A YORUBA OR IGBO HAVE TO DO WITH MAKING NIGERIAN MOVIES.

THIS MAN, STOP LOOKING FOR WAYS TO EXPRESS YOUR TRIBALISM IN NOLLYWOOD FILMS.
THE LAST TIME I CHECKED NOLLYWOOD HAD A MIXTURE OF PEOPLE, BUT THE MAJORITY WERE IGBOS.
BUT SO WHAT! MAYBE YORUBAS DONT CARE TO BE IN NOLLYWOOD MOVIES AND IGBOS ARE THE MAJORITY WHO WANT TO BECOME ACTORS AND ACTRESSES.

ABEG, TAKE THIS TO THE TRIBALISM SECTION.

AGAIN, WHAT DOES TRIBE HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING.

ALL THIS IS JUST STUPID AND ASKING FOR WAHALA!!
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 8:21pm On Aug 15, 2009
why cant people just get along and be happy anymore?
its like when people dont see what they want to see they start shouting and complaining.
what does tribe have to do with how well someone manages something?
abeg, stop making excuses.

so are you saying we should be banned from nollywood films just to please you?
or if the tables were turned and all this "misfortune" was caused by the yorubas and not the igbos, where would you argue? or would you bring down your OWN tribe?

this is foolish.
tribe shouldnt determine how well someone manages something.
give names not tribe because each person is an individual.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by AloyEmeka6: 8:28pm On Aug 15, 2009
"A man should not be judged by the color of his skin or ethnicity but by the content of his character" MLK. This quote is very difficult for Nigerians to grasp simply because we are not yet CIVILIZED. Civilization is not skyscrapers, good roads, water, electricity etc for those things are better known as development rather, civilization is the innate change in man.

When Non Africans like Angelina Jolie can adopt a black baby, clean her up everyday and love her unconditionally, you wonder the spirit behind that. Its nothing but immense value for human life which can only be achieved through civilization. We are not yet civilized and may still not attain that in the next 100 years.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 8:32pm On Aug 15, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

"A man should not be judged by the color of his skin or ethnicity but by the content of his character" MLK. This quote is very difficult for Nigerians to grasp simply because we are not yet CIVILIZED.

true.
this author of this post could have simply said NAMES not mention a whole TRIBE.
yes we igbos are the majority in nollywood but dont use our name to say we are ALL like that.
name the people you are talking to in particular and then name the other person in particular.
dont try and act like tribe is the reason why someone cannot manage something.
this is just showing tribal bias.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 15, 2009
I don't think the poster is a racist, he just wrote the truth! Don't be offended if you're an Igbo person! embarassed

We all know that the Igbos have dominated the 'English Nollywood' and they haven't been managing the whole thangy well. We know how Nigerian English movies used to be before they decided to make it an all igbo affair. . . Take it or leave it, Igbos have really bleeped Nollywood up, if not for the Yoruba movies that are still of High quality, especially those ones from Mainframe, we would have nothing to write home about our movie industry with films like 'Love of my life' 'Don't Let me sink' 'Could this be love' 'Love is wicked' and all sort of rubbish movies that revolve around the same old thing.

Talk about management, its very true that Tunde Kelani will manage it well. . . He is a legend! The best nollywood can boast of!

I'm not being tribalistic, just telling the truth here. . .
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 10:28pm On Aug 15, 2009
jassie:

we would have nothing to write home about our movie industry with films like 'Love of my life' 'Don't Let me sink' 'Could this be love' 'Love is wicked' and all sort of rubbish movies that revolve around the same old thing.

rotflmao. na true sha.

Same ol' thing. Man courts girl, girl gets pregnant, man leaves girl. Then later on they reunite. undecided

jassie:

if not for the Yoruba movies that are still of High quality,

true again. Yoruba movies are the ones I can watch now. Almost all of the English language movies are pure rubbish lipsrsealed
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 10:31pm On Aug 15, 2009
jassie:

I don't think the poster is a racist, he just wrote the truth! Don't be offended if you're an Igbo person! embarassed

We all know that the Igbos have dominated the 'English Nollywood' and they haven't been managing the whole thangy well. We know how Nigerian English movies used to be before they decided to make it an all igbo affair. . . Take it or leave it, Igbos have really bleeped Nollywood up, if not for the Yoruba movies that are still of High quality, especially those ones from Mainframe, we would have nothing to write home about our movie industry with films like 'Love of my life' 'Don't Let me sink' 'Could this be love' 'Love is wicked' and all sort of rubbish movies that revolve around the same old thing.

Talk about management, its very true that Tunde Kelani will manage it well. . . He is a legend! The best nollywood can boast of!

listen to yourself.
im not getting offended because im an igbo but think of it, dont start blaming a whole thing on a tribe.
point and pick the NAME of the person you are talking about.
dont start saying igbos like all igbos in the industry are responsible.
and dont say a yoruba can run it better because he is a yoruba.
come on, dont get ridiculous.
this is no igbo vs yoruba issue but this is an issue with PEOPLE and NOLLYWOOD.
so be specific and stop callling in the almighty tribe to back your argument.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 15, 2009
"
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 15, 2009
THE AMAKA:

listen to yourself.
im not getting offended because im an igbo but think of it, dont start blaming a whole thing on a tribe.
point and pick the NAME of the person you are talking about.
dont start saying igbos like all igbos in the industry are responsible.
and dont say a yoruba can run it better because he is a yoruba.
come on, dont get ridiculous.
this is no igbo vs yoruba issue but this is an issue with PEOPLE and NOLLYWOOD.
so be specific and stop callling in the almighty tribe to back your argument.
Yorubas say 'Agbajo owo lafi n so aya!

There is nothing that can be achieved without collective effort! Of course u know what domination means, domination by a particular tribe! So why would the poster not refer to the Igbos in the industry! Don't get me wrong, we're not talking about all Igbos in the world of course, but those in Nollywood. They have a similar Modus Operandi. . . I hope u feel me, don't take it personal!
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by kshow1(m): 10:49pm On Aug 15, 2009
Hhmm, and the argument continues again on tribalism grin
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 10:51pm On Aug 15, 2009
no, it ends here.

lol
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 15, 2009
kshow1:

hmm! alaroye! grin

@amaka

you're mature jare. . . wink
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by TOPE20001(f): 10:58pm On Aug 15, 2009
What is new? undecided
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 11:01pm On Aug 15, 2009
im not saying that any whole tribe is guilty or innocent but . . .

but why when something happens nigerians start blaming a WHOLE tribe on an issue dealing with a few individuals? i no understand that tin at all!!
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 15, 2009
kshow1:

Sometimes the truth may seem like tribalism, but it aint.

English movies sucks. . . .point blank cool
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by AloyEmeka6: 11:25pm On Aug 15, 2009
jassie:

Very foolish analogy. Are the english movies copyrighted to Igbos alone?. What stops Yorubas from making that english movie that will set the pace instead of whining everyday?. If Tunde kelani is the Martin Scorcesse of Nigerian movies, let him put together his crew and make loads of movies that will shake heavens.
What does the OP mean by management?. You think film management is the same as film directing? . That tells me the level of reasoning herein.

On Yoruba movies: Nobody testifies that his mother is a bad cook. Yorubas constitute 97% of the consumers of Yoruba movies and how will I disagree if I have not seen one. Ghana movies even sell better than Yoruba movies in NIGERIA and its only online I hear how good they are. I can produce and market Yoruba movies if i want meaning that it is not copyrighted to anybody irrespective of their tribe.

I don't care which is better as long as they progress and create jobs which they do. it's Yorubas who whine about Nollywood everytime as if there are no other tribes in Nigeria. Hausas have their own movies and they said its very nice but I don't know because I don't understand the language but you rarely hear them whine about Nollywood simply because they are not threatened by nollywood.  Anybody can make movies in Nigeria including the OP. All you need is register and pay the necessary fees to the censorship board and chikena.

I think Yoruba movie producers are threatened by nollywood and that is the reason behind all these backlash online and its a pity that the only thriving industry in Nigeria is being killed by Nigerians themselves because of tribalism. A Mozambiquan lady on the same plane with me enroute Senegal praised Nollywood and told me thats all she watches and while our soccer team is down, she said her husband is a fan of super eagles but you can imagine what a person like the OP will tell her.

Popular accusations by these jokers on Nollywood are:
1) why is there tribalism in Nollwood: any name that is not Yoruba automatically means igbo to these tribalists. Igbo marketers constitute about 70% of the sponsors behind Ghananian movies yet they are tribalists.
2) Nollywood has crashed: this came out 2 years ago.
3) Nollywood is disgracing us abroad: I challenged the poster to make her own movie and set the pace yet no show till today
4) Nollywood is crap and Yoruba movies are the bomb: yet they know the first 10 nollywood movies released each month.
5) Tunde kelani accuse igbo marketers of tribalism because they refused to market his movies thereby making him to record poor sales: I investigated this and one igbo marketer asked me: What will I lose by marketing a Yoruba movie which will give me more profit?. I am not a producer and those who has the money to produce these movies make a fortune after sales and they use us to market them. The problem with Tunde kelani is he thought he is mr know all. He wants you to pay him up front and then market the movies yourself which means you have to deal with pirates on your account. He also will not give you the sole right to distribute his movies. Which business man will agree to these terms?. Our disagreement to his terms means we are tribalistic.  He continues: I contacted Olu Jacobs for a movie I am trying to produce but his managers gave me a price I cannot afford, should I walk around calling Olu Jacobs a tribalist because he refuse to work for the amount we are offering?.

Enough of these Yoruba hate filled criticism.  The only difference I see in Yoruba, hausa and english movies is the language. Igbos reduced igbo language movies to 5% and make theirs in english which is the reason they broke into the African market. Language is the barrier and Yoruba movies do not sell well apart from the west  because of that language problem. Igbo movies are still sold today at Aba and Onitsha but they are mainly for local consumers and do not take much in budget. I know none of you know igbos actors like 'Mike ori ife dimma' and 'uwaezuoke'. They are not part of Nollywood yet they make movies. Enough is enough and I implore other good spirited Yorubas to cautions these tribalists. If Nollywood is dead, its me and you that will feel it because those they employed may become armed robbers overnight. Nigeria is a sorry country and as long as we promote tribalism, we will go nowhere.

The spirit of emulation is better than jealousy
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by AloyEmeka6: 11:27pm On Aug 15, 2009
FL Gators:

Sometimes the truth may seem like tribalism, but it aint.

English movies sucks. . . .point blank cool
Yoruba movies don't suck, right? All of them are very nice and every Nollywood movie everyr made is crap, right? Even Hollywood never get this thumbs. Why is it only Yorubas that whine about Nollywood and why do they always want to juxtapose their own movies in an effort to prove to an outsider theirs are better?. Allow the public to see the quality of your work and it will not happen through bringing down another person. You may tell me how good hausa movies are too? undecided
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 11:29pm On Aug 15, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Yoruba movies don't suck, right? All of them are very nice and every Nollywood movie everyr made is crap, right? Even Hollywood never get this thumbs.
Of course not all movies from Yoruba is of High quality. Impossible!

But IMO, most of them are better than the English ones.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by AloyEmeka6: 11:33pm On Aug 15, 2009
How do you know which is most?. My first encounter with a Yoruba movie was 5 years ago and the background noise alone was enough to turn me deaf in two minutes, should I use that experience to judge all Yoruba movies?.
Nollywood draws in cash and by default, lots of people whether Igbo, Bini , hausa, Yoruba, Senegalese. chinese flocked into it to make some money. Pirates spend more money into nollywood movies and have graduated into renaming a movie by themselves in order to make sells. You may produce a nollywood movie today and name it FL GATORS and a pirate will copy it tomorrow and sell it under the name AMAKA.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 11:40pm On Aug 15, 2009
@ aloy-emeka

very true.
the problem is the language barrier. so they need to stop blaming igbos.
ive seen some yoruba movies (i didnt watch them) and they were all in their native language. how do they expect others to buy it if no one understands the language besides the yoruba people.
thats why nollywood is the third largest movie industry and our movies are sold all over africa and all over the world.
its because they are in english and peolpe anywhere who knows english can understand them.
most yoruba movies are in YORUBA!! how do they expect anyone to understand what they are talking about? this is why their movies have failed to progress. and then they blame the igbos.
the igbos dont really produce igbo movies like they used to.
back in the early 90's the majority of igbo movies were in igbo, but now the majority of NOLLYWOOD movies are in english.
people around the world can enjoy our movies, its not only limited to one tribe.
if yorubas like they can make ENGLISH movies using the majority of yoruba actors and actresses.
im sure more people all over nigeria and internationally will be able to enjoy them. smiley
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:44pm On Aug 15, 2009
THE AMAKA:

ive seen some yoruba movies (i didnt watch them) and they were all in their native language. how do they expect others to buy it if no one understands the language besides the yoruba people.

Do they speak English in French, Indian, Japanese, Spanish movies?

85% of SlumDog Millionaire was in Hindi. Yet it received critical acclaim in Hollywood

Abeg where is Nollywood's "international acclaim"?

South Africa's Tutsi wasnt in English and it won 2007 Best Foreign Movie. Where's Nollywood own?, despite all its "English"

Stop fooling yourselves.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 11:47pm On Aug 15, 2009
@ Aloy Emeka. . .

Those rubbish u typed are for the birds to read. . . na u sabi. . . no sha kill urself grin

@thiefofhearts. . .

u get time sef. . . the more u explain, the more they think lame tongue
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by AloyEmeka6: 11:50pm On Aug 15, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Do they speak English in French, Indian, Japanese, Spanish movies?

85% of SlumDog Millionaire was in Hindi. Yet it received critical acclaim in Hollywood

Abeg where is Nollywood's "international acclaim"?

South Africa's Tutsi wasnt in English and it won 2007 Best Foreign Movie. Where's Nollywood own?, despite all its "English"

Stop fooling yourselves.
And where is Yorobawood international acclaim?. If language is not the reason why Nollywood is selling better than Yoruba movies, then why ?. Why is hollywood movies more popular than the sapnish, Chinese et al movies?
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by C2H5OH(f): 11:52pm On Aug 15, 2009
There is nollywood and then there is yorubawood? two different naija movie sectors? DIES!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Your Honest Review Concerning The Iroko Tv Mobile App / Download/watch She-hulk: Attorney At Law / Discussion About Snuff R73 Compilation Keep Scrolling If Not Interested Thank Yo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.