Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,981 members, 7,821,420 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival (10826 Views)

Celebrities At 5th Africa International Film Festival ,in Lekki Lagos / Reckless And Irresponsible Gulder Promo Image: Thumbs Down Gulder!! / If All The Guns In Action Movies Were Replaced With Thumbs-Ups... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 2:15am On Aug 16, 2009
$osisi:

They think the Igbo businessmen are all over nollywood because it's mainly an Igbo thing?
no way
they are there because it makes them money.
They couldn't be bothered what names were on it
They would change gear to whatever sells.
Every good business man does that.

na true talk oo!!
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by sosisi(f): 2:15am On Aug 16, 2009
FL Gators:

You ppl are so annoying. Like SHUT IT UP!!!

This is not about tribes or w/e shit you guys want to dig up.

This is about the movies and movie industry.

English movies suck. . . . how does my opinion insinuate that I hate Igbo tribes?

I love yoruba movies. . . .How does that imply that I love yoruba tribes?

Noisemakers, quit shouting up and down about tribalism, division and what not. This is NOT about tribes, this is about the shit Nollywood produces to feed our eyes.

Please hold it!!!!!!!!!
are you trying to be funny or you think you're talking to blockheads
This is the very first post on this thread

have been going to the so called Lagos International Film Festival since Wednesday and I am disappointed by the poor organization and poor standards.

I cannot even write a good report as I did on the press parley of ION Film Festival published on Modern Ghana.

Nigerian Igbos are poor managers of their Nollywood film industry.

I have decided to start a real film festival as a model for Nigerian filmmakers and I will pass it on to the Yoruba Film Industry, because I know that Tunde Kelani will manage it well.

The organiser of the so called Lagos International Film Festival should call it Camel Film Festival and stop the misrepresentation of Lagos state with such a sham!

Now how is it not about tribe?
did you correct that lunatic that posted that if it wasn't about tribe?
how irritating!
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 2:18am On Aug 16, 2009
WE NEED TO ALL COME TOGETHER, FOR PEACE AND HARMONY!!   grin

NIGERIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM.

Arise, O compatriots, Nigeria's call obey
To serve our fatherland
With love and strength and faith
The labor of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.

Oh God of creation, direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youth the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace and justice shall reign.

(no one believes in this anthem anyway) tongue
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by sosisi(f): 2:20am On Aug 16, 2009
amaka go and sing that to boko haram
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 2:21am On Aug 16, 2009
$osisi:

Please hold it!!!!!!!!!
are you trying to be funny or you think you're talking to blockheads
This is the very first post on this thread

Now how is it not about tribe?
did you correct that lunatic that posted that if it wasn't about tribe?

On the previous pages of the thread, others mentioned that Igbo are predominant in Nollywood.
I'd assume that thats the reason why poster implied Igbos can't manage Nollywood.
Majority rules, Minority rights Plays a role here.

I personally don't care about which tribe made it. Yoruba ppl, edo ppl, also performs in English movies.
Fact of the matter is, 95% of the movies are pure rubbish, jagbajantis, nonsense and copying of previous movies. No culture added, just the same westernzed crap.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 2:22am On Aug 16, 2009
$osisi:

amak go and sing that to boko haram
HAHAHAHA!!!

if i do, they will shoot me! DIE!
it would be hilarious to see yaradua sing this.
he would be a hypocrite if he did, lol.

this anthem goes against ALL that is going on in nigeria right now.
no one believes it.   sad
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 2:23am On Aug 16, 2009
Abeg, I was also singing the One Nigeria tune.
But am sick of it.
I don't think there will ever be a one Nigeria.
Some ppl are so stuck in the past. While others try to forget it, others will make it their goal to dig it up.

Forget the tune and face reality, girl.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 2:25am On Aug 16, 2009
FL Gators:

Abeg, I was also singing the One Nigeria tune.
But am sick of it.
I don't think there will ever be a one Nigeria.
Some ppl are so stuck in the past. While others try to forget it, others will make it their goal to dig it up.

Forget the tune and face reality, girl.

hmmmmm na also true talk!
some people enjoy living in the 1960's.
man i want nigeria to make it.
i have hope and faith in nigeria.
i want to see that a country can succeed and still live peacefully despite its 250 ethnic groups.
man i still have hope in naija- ONE DAY!
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by sosisi(f): 2:25am On Aug 16, 2009
FL Gators:

On the previous pages of the thread, others mentioned that Igbo are predominant in Nollywood.
I'd assume that thats the reason why poster implied Igbos can't manage Nollywood.
Majority rules, Minority rights Plays a role here.

I personally don't care about which tribe made it. Yoruba ppl, edo ppl, also performs in English movies.
Fact of the matter is, 95% of the movies are pure rubbish, jagbajantis, nonsense and copying of previous movies. No culture added, just the same westernzed crap.

There were no previous pages.That is the very first post,go and check it out for yourself.
The very first post had a strong tribal undertone and the poster had a particular group in mind and didn't mince words in identifying them.
She made it "bad Igbo managers" vs "good Yoruba managers" from the very beginning so saying it's not tribal is being deceptive.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 2:27am On Aug 16, 2009
Arise, O compatriots, Nigeria's call obey
To serve our fatherland
With love and strength and faith
The labor of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.

Oh [/s]God[s] Allah of creation, direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youth the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace and justice shall reign.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 2:27am On Aug 16, 2009
$osisi:

There were no previous pages.That is the very first post,go and check it out for yourself.
The very first post had a strong tribal undertone and the poster had a particular group in mind and didn't mince words in identifying them.
She made it "bad Igbo managers" vs "good Yoruba managers" from the very beginning so saying it's not tribal is being deceptive.
I am not talking about the initial post, am talking about the posts after.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by sosisi(f): 2:31am On Aug 16, 2009
Now this is the post which you quoted and agreed with on the same page.

by jessie
I don't think the poster is a racist, he just wrote the truth! Don't be offended if you're an Igbo person!

We all know that the Igbos have dominated the 'English Nollywood' and they haven't been managing the whole thangy well. We know how Nigerian English movies used to be before they decided to make it an all igbo affair. . . Take it or leave it, Igbos have really bleeped Nollywood up, if not for the Yoruba movies that are still of High quality, especially those ones from Mainframe, we would have nothing to write home about our movie industry with films like 'Love of my life' 'Don't Let me sink' 'Could this be love' 'Love is wicked' and all sort of rubbish movies that revolve around the same old thing.

Talk about management, its very true that Tunde Kelani will manage it well. . . He is a legend! The best nollywood can boast of!

I'm not being tribalistic, just telling the truth here. . .

and that same sentiment is being shared by several other Yoruba responders on this thread and several like it.
One of these days some Yoruba person will start a thread on how Igbos are breathing all the air in Lagos with their large nostrils causing Yorubas to asphyxiate.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by chiogo(f): 2:31am On Aug 16, 2009
LOL FL Gators, you don't get it.

You said it isn't about tribe. But it is starting from the first post.

Anywayz, it's nothing new on nairaland.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by C2H5OH(f): 2:35am On Aug 16, 2009
The Oposter did more than insinuate that Igbos are bad managers of their respective film production companies.  I wouldn't blame all ills and failures of nollywood on igbo managers, but I have to agree that the English films being spitted out for our viewing pleasures leave bad tastes in our mouths
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 2:36am On Aug 16, 2009
$osisi:

Now this is the post which you quoted and agreed with on the same page.

by jessie
and that same sentiment is being shared by several other Yoruba responders on this thread and several like it.
One of these days some Yoruba person will start a thread on how Igbos are breathing all the air in Lagos with their large nostrils causing Yorubas to asphyxiate.

I'm sorry, are every English movies directed by Igbos? Does Igbo own Nollywood? And here I'd have thought the opposite.

I'd ask you to check my post on that thread again.

I said that all English Nollywood movie sucks. And Yoruba movies rox. My opinion, my preference.

If that means I'm triblist, then I really want to know what you'd call Lamidi-Obi tongue

I still stand by my post , and I'd advise you to see what I quoted and what I replied to.

chiogo:

LOL FL Gators, you don't get it.

You said it isn't about tribe. But it is starting from the first post.

Anywayz, it's nothing new on nairaland.

From my perceptive, it's not.

But come oh, when did Nigerian become the Black-White-Racism-Issue of Africa?

But if you say the poster was being tribal, I cannot argue with you there
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 2:40am On Aug 16, 2009
the reason why most english movies are rubbish is because they do movies in 10 days or 2 weeks and get it onto the market within a 2 more weeks.
its all about time and making money.
they dont have time to waste because time is money.

thats why most movies are rubbish now.

and in kannywood are making movies taboo? or is it a sin? is it against shariah law?
men and women can no longer associate.
the woman must cover her head?
or is it banned, because most people cant watch tv, unless its government television. its almost like a dictatorship.

can someone give me a spoof on kannywood?
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 2:41am On Aug 16, 2009
Yea. . . .in simplier terms, English movies are rubbish. Period.
Who ever dominates and controls that sector should be criticized. Point black.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by bluespice(f): 2:45am On Aug 16, 2009
i dont watch nigerian movies y?
same story line
i was introduced to jenifa and despite its 'ghetto- ness' or 'razz-ness' whichever floats ur boat, i enjoyed it
dont mean cos im yoruba or not,
it was a new story line
that said, some nigerian movies do deserve compliment
but all around, we need to go back to the drawing board jare
irrespictive of the prefix before the -wood u adopt
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by oyinda3(f): 3:01am On Aug 16, 2009
THE AMAKA:

the reason why most english movies are rubbish is because they do movies in 10 days or 2 weeks and get it onto the market within a 2 more weeks.
its all about time and making money.
they dont have time to waste because time is money.

thats why most movies are rubbish now.

and in kannywood are making movies taboo? or is it a sin? is it against shariah law?
or is it banned, because most people cant watch tv, unless its government television. its almost like a dictatorship.

lol and they're not as strict as portrayed in the media. lol
there is even a  very famous movie star that is very effeminate (most likely gay). his name is ibro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u59fRk8h5-U&feature=related

my friend translated the hausa to me but i forgot. it's a really funny argument between the hausa guy (ibro) and the igbo man. lol one of the abuses is your mouth is as big as armpit or something like that. i forgot. lol

this is a hausa movie trailer n u can see the singer isn't covering her head n she's dressed like any regular lady in some scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMmaxvQSNrQ&feature=related

u can find them on youtube  tongue
but they're more conservative in general than nollywood movies though.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 3:03am On Aug 16, 2009
i know you can find them on youtube.
but doesnt shariah law forbid this?
isnt movies banned or something like that?
you know to them everything that doesnt involve the quran or islam is forbidden. lol

okay ill watch it.

AND A GAY HAUSA? i know they probably exist, but is he OPEN ABOUT IT?
OH NO! WONDERS SHALL NEVER END.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by ezeagu(m): 3:14am On Aug 16, 2009
THE AMAKA:

It will be banned all together by the Nigerian Al Qaeda, apparently in Islam images of living people and animals cannot be reproduced!  tongue

THE AMAKA:

AND A GAY HAUSA? i know they probably exist, but is he OPEN ABOUT IT?

Do you see the boko haram threat, they seemed to be really into the sodomy of southern Nigerian's. . . . . . . .Plus there seems to be a pattern of intense homosexual repression in so called 'homophobic' countries, just an observation. grin
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 3:20am On Aug 16, 2009
ezeagu:

It will be banned all together by the Nigerian Al Qaeda, apparently in Islam images of living people and animals cannot be reproduced! tongue

Do you see the boko haram threat, they seemed to be really into the sodomy of southern Nigerian's. . . . . . . .Plus there seems to be a pattern of intense homosexual repression in so called 'homophobic' countries, just an observation. grin

OH YEAH,
i think i remember hearing that. please correct me if im wrong.
so anyone who makes or acts in a kannywood movie will be stoned to death. lol
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by oyinda3(f): 3:34am On Aug 16, 2009
ezeagu is being sarcastic. lol  tongue it's not gonna be banned
i think sharia law is exaggerated.
and the movies usually teach islamic morals at the end. kinda like nollywood movies with morals/ a lesson at the end.

how old r u sef. u sound so naive lol

THE AMAKA:

i know you can find them on youtube.
but doesnt shariah law forbid this?
isnt movies banned or something like that?
you know to them everything that doesnt involve the quran or islam is forbidden. lol

okay ill watch it.

AND A GAY HAUSA?  i know they probably exist, but is he OPEN ABOUT IT?
OH NO! WONDERS SHALL NEVER END.

even if u can't understand it, look at his body language and his obvious gayness. lol he's a very popular actor among the hausas.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 4:28am On Aug 16, 2009
so he is gay in real life?
OMG. shocked shocked
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by sexyLeamon(f): 6:35am On Aug 16, 2009
This is one of the main reason why our film industry is not improving. why do you guys think? dat hollywood is a spectacular film industry? no the reason they are up is dat they put them self up, their people encourage them and put them up, and us, we will forever remain stupid and dumb we put each others down instead. what a pity undecided
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 6:38am On Aug 16, 2009
sexyLeamon:

This is one of the main reason why our film industry is not improving. why do you guys think? dat hollywood is a spectacular film industry? no the reason they are up is dat they put them self up, their people encourage them and put them up, and us, we will forever remain stupid and dumb we put each others down instead. what a pity undecided

TRUE TALK OO!!
and we would rather divide and criticize the other side just as a way of praising our own people.
we need to come united as one!!
once we put this tribal shit aside, and come together and play fair, we might be able to BLOW bollywood to third place and take 2nd place in the leader bored.
im still hoping for that one day. (:
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by C2H5OH(f): 6:39am On Aug 16, 2009
their people put them up but those same people who praise them will not hesitate to criticize them if the quality of the movies dwindle.

they are up because they are that good at what they do.  

hiss
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 6:44am On Aug 16, 2009
C2H5OH:

their people put them up but those same people who praise them will not hesitate to criticize them if the quality of the movies dwindle.

they are up because they are that good at what they do.

hiss

and we arent?

we have failed to get better because most of the movie money is coming from the producer's pocket. and they know time is money. so the quality of these movies usually suck.
they need more funding to put into their movies to make it better.
nigeria has almost no action movies and the voodoo movies are the worst!!
when stupid spirits appear, its so lame, give me a break.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by sexyLeamon(f): 6:47am On Aug 16, 2009
THE AMAKA:

TRUE TALK OO!!
and we would rather divide and criticize the other side just as a way of praising our own people.
we need to come united as one!!
once we put this tribal shit aside, and come together and play fair, we might be able to BLOW bollywood to third place and take 2nd place in the leader bored.
im still hoping for that one day. (:
dat will never happend ever African will forever remain disunited. we have witchcraft to destroy each others but wouldn't developed our country.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 6:48am On Aug 16, 2009
THINK POSITIVE!!
why are people always so negative.
have hope sometimes.
i STILL have hope and will always have hope.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by C2H5OH(f): 6:48am On Aug 16, 2009
THE AMAKA:

and we arent?

we have failed to get better because most of the movie money is coming from the producer's pocket. and they know time is money. so the quality of these movies usually suck.
they need more funding to put into their movies to make it better.
nigeria has almost no action movies and the voodoo movies are the worst!!
when stupid spirits appear, its so lame, give me a break.
and the money was supposed to come from whose pockets?  you sound naive.
you keep repeating time is money as if that's a reason to settle for trash.  if we stop demanding excellence from those who manufacture the products we consume we are bound to fail as a people.  imagine civil engineers, doctors, etc rushing a building to completion or treating patients without taking great care because "time is money".  Besides, time is money and these people are getting paid for doing what they do, s why the big fuss?
I'll give you a break if you analyze critically and wash aside the sentimental hogwash.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by THEAMAKA(f): 7:00am On Aug 16, 2009
C2H5OH:

and the money was supposed to come from whose pockets? you sound naive.
you keep repeating time is money as if that's a reason to settle for trash. if we stop demanding excellence from those who manufacture the products we consume we are bound to fail as a people. imagine civil engineers, doctors, etc rushing a building to completion or treating patients without taking great care because "time is money". Besides, time is money and these people are getting paid for doing what they do, s why the big fuss?
I'll give you a break if you analyze critically and wash aside the sentimental hogwash.

OH PLEASE! if you dont want to settle for trash, then i suggest you give the producers ALL THE MONEY THEY NEED to make the best movie they can.
just about 2 weeks ago a special on nollywood came on tv.
mercy johnson was actually in it.
they were doing a movie about the war that happend in liberia.
the producers were running out of money so they were rushing!!
the hotel bill was skyrocketing, the actors and extras went without breakfast and lunch.
this is all because they couldnt afford to pay for all the expenses.
they were rushing to complete the movie because they were running out of money.
you see? thats why if they had more funding the movies could be better. most of this is coming out of the producers pockets. although they are saying that the government has started funding about 40% of certain movies now.
but im not too sure about that last part.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Your Honest Review Concerning The Iroko Tv Mobile App / Please Do Anyone Has REGINA DANIELS Contact,i Would Like To Propose To Her Now.. / Nn 24 (new 24hours News Channel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.