Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,020 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (244) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (679462 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by tituzadeola: 2:53pm On Jul 08, 2016
QueenID:

Yes I have...and it was successful...

part of the mistake I made was putting 3 years on my ds-160. I guess I should have filled 2 years instead of the v.o to ask me questions based on my bachelor degree he was asking questions based on my o'level wanting to know when I finished my secondary school and what I have been doing since then.
Again did u take any test?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by QueenID: 2:59pm On Jul 08, 2016
tituzadeola:

part of the mistake I made was putting 3 years on my ds-160. I guess I should have filled 2 years instead of the v.o to ask me questions based on my bachelor degree he was asking questions based on my o'level wanting to know when I finished my secondary school and what I have been doing since then.
Again did u take any test?
Yes.. Wrote GRE and Toefl...
Have you been interviewed yet?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by aadeyi: 3:01pm On Jul 08, 2016
dickoflife:
As at 15th of this month the vast majority of people here with visa's will begin to travel let us thrash some issues.

1. How much is the minimum PTA to carry in cash for a traveller?

2. Do we need yellow card also called vaccine card to get to the US?

3. Can any immigration official stop an individual from travelling for whatever reason and what is to be done in such a case?

4. Do you need to give anybody money as a first timer? And likely questions to be asked at the point of entry.

Please I need answers so people can learn no insults, the answers aren't for me but we all learn everyday... Cc justwise, gunther6, gunther8, aadeyi, lagosismyhome, deetus, siriddy, msnas, slimmy2005...

1. As a traveler entering the US, u r not expected to carry cash exceeding $10k else, i dont know what can happen.

2. You do not need a yellow card to enter the US, your sch should have specified the type of vaccination you need to have before resumption which i believe the yellow card does not cover. But because of those bad immigration officer who might want to extort u, you might want to get the yellow card which is just around 500naira i guess.

3. Except you are carrying drugs or your visa looks fake, i don't think any immigration officer in his/her right sense will want to stop you when no b him papa give u visa.

4. If you are dangote's pikin or u like doing charity, you can start by sharing money from the airport gate (police man at the gate) down to the terminal gate where the airline staffs are waiting to salute you.

As a student you do not need much explanation or speech to give at the poe cos the officer already has all the info once your passport is scanned. Except you look suspicious yourself and you did not show up in a city that does not correspond with your destination as you have on your visa, then you are good to go. Just comport yourself and dont carry too much food as if the world is going to end.

Goodluck to you all as your journey draws near.

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by QueenID: 3:01pm On Jul 08, 2016
QueenID:
The wait is real!!!
Those of us that got our visas approved last week weds to fri... any idea on when we'll pick it?
This long public holiday is so annoying...grrrrhhh

I'll appreciate answers please....
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 3:05pm On Jul 08, 2016
QueenID:

Thanks
Gunther6, come and answer this lady
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 3:08pm On Jul 08, 2016
QueenID:

Thanks

Try post your transcript make people learn abeg, if everybody just dey here dey ask question nobody dey answer, this thread for don go moribund long ago..

To answer your question if your visa was approved last Wed other things been equal you can start picking up from Monday in that order but watch out for their mail

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 3:24pm On Jul 08, 2016
QueenID:
tituzadeola

Hello house pls I need ur urgent advice, my i-20 indicate 36 months for my Master in HRM ordinarily I was thinking it should be more than 9-24 months.
kindly advice on what to do bcus am skeptical I don't want the v.o to bounce me based on this.

Was in the same shoe...
On my Ds-160 form I filled 2 years as my length of stay in the USA even though my I20 stated 36 months which is equivalent to 3years and as expected, the VO asked me why there was the discrepancy.. I simply told him that a typical student finishes in 2 years and that I contacted my school and they informed me that 36 months was written on my I20 incase there's an extension (didn't contact them tho but I had a printed copy from their website where it was stated..wanted to show the VO but he asked me not to bother.)
I was advised to put 2 years instead of 3 years on my DS-160 form so they won't think that I don't want to come back to my country..lol..

Good luck..

You guys shouldn't worry. All F1 visa have duration of 2 years. Either 24 or 36 months, you have no problem if you're not leaving the U.S after the visa expires and while you're still in school. As per discrepancies with the month length, if the school says it's right with reasons, just say the same to the VO when you're asked.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by QueenID: 3:25pm On Jul 08, 2016
gunther6:

Try post your transcript make people learn abeg, if everybody just dey here dey ask question nobody dey answer, this thread for don go moribund long ago..

To answer your question if your visa was approved on Wed other things been equal you can start picking up from Monday in that order but watch out for their mail

#mybad

I was interviewed on Friday, 1st of July

Greeted the VO with a smile and he was very friendly, calm and reciprocated too..
VO: Why did you choose xxxxxxx University
Me: I chose xxxxxxx university because of the amount of research going on in the department. I came to know that my research aligns with that of Professor Bleep who also happens to be my course advisor and after contacting him, he provided me with useful information about courses to offer and I would really love to work with him. Also, the department has a well equipped software laboratory where I can have practical knowledge....VO cuts in

VO: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: Five.. Three in USA an two in UK..

VO: How many admitted you? And name the schools..
Me: Was admitted to all five schools.. Names them

VO: I can see that you have been awarded a scholarship from your department, do you have proof here?
Me: Hands him my Scholarship award letter
VO examines it and then types on his system and hands me back the letter

VO: I can see that the rest of our studies will be sponsored by your Uncle and Aunt, can I have their bank statements..
Me: Hands him the bank statements, photocopies of their international passports and drivers license(note..my sponsors are not in nigeria that's why I went through this stress) and also gave him a letter of support signed by both my uncle and aunt

VO: Where does your uncle and aunt work?
Me: Told him

VO: on your I-20 it is stated that your course is 36 months how come you filled 2 years on ur DS160?
Me: I called my department and they informed me that the reason they wrote 36 months on my I20 was just incase there's an extension but a typical student finishes in 2 years.. I also have a printed proof from the website that states this..(was about giving him but he stopped me)

VO types for about 1 minute and then hands all my documents to me except my passport. He then gave me two white slips and said congrats...
I thanked him.. Smiled and went away..

It was God... I fasted, prayed and also prepared hard...

Sorry transcript is coming late

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by aadeyi: 3:30pm On Jul 08, 2016
QueenID:

#mybad

I was interviewed on Friday, 1st of July

Greeted the VO with a smile and he was very friendly and calm too and reciprocated too..
VO: Why did you choose xxxxxxx University
Me: I chose xxxxxxx university because of the amount of research going on in the department. I came to know that my research aligns with that of Proferssor Bleep who also happens to be my course advisor and after contacting him, he provided me with useful information about courses to offer and I would really love to work with him. Also, the department has a well equipped software laboratory where I can have practical knowledge....VO cuts in

Sorry transcript is coming late

there we go again, upon giving us late transcript, still hiding info again. shior

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:31pm On Jul 08, 2016
dickoflife:
As at 15th of this month the vast majority of people here with visa's will begin to travel let us thrash some issues.

1. How much is the minimum PTA to carry in cash for a traveller?...
PTA are hard to get now so maybe you mean Cash. You can carry any amount however anything over $10,000 u must declare it on the custom form. If you don’t declare it and they find out it can be seized. So in this economy no make them seize ur money. Declare anything over 10K and be open about it if its your school fees, and the source of the money but then there is a safety issue . Do you really want to travel with so much?. Dont keep your money in your checked bag or it might grow legs. Keep cash close to you at all times

2. Do we need yellow card also called vaccine card to get to the US? ……
I never been asked for Yellow card but I have heard of it . This is a Nigeria airport thing, not sure what its used for or if they ask maybe depending on who u meet . The US airport dont ask or require of it , any immunization thing is for ur school not airport

3. Can any immigration official stop an individual from travelling for whatever reason and what is to be done in such a case? …
Very rare but the only reason I can think of is travelling after your i20 start date . If u are entering in a city far from your school then depending on the POE u meet , be ready to explain or show your continuing ticket (Some ask u some dont) . If you look suspicious then they can pull you out for questions but i doubt that for a student .

4. Do you need to give anybody money as a first timer?
Its so shameful the way the Nigerian airport staff beg for money and they do it so shamelessly open . Me I just carry face. If u carry too much naija food stuff then they might waste your time to give them money . You can have little change for that if u want or just strong your face that you no get money.

5. And likely questions to be asked at the point of entry…..
No need to prepare for this . Just be honest and answer the questions asked. Make sure all your school documents are with you and not in your checked bags. Have them ready at POE .

Weigh your bag before u leave so its within tolerance, no liquid in ur hand luggage or it will go into the dustbin for example perfume. Put it in your checked bag.

Remember traffic so get to the airport in good time. Give at least 2 to 3 hours to departing time. If you have a connecting flight be mindful of your next flight and make sure you are at that boarding gate well in time. If you are very tired and might sleep off , set an alarm because I have slept off at the boarding gate and shockingly nobody woke me up so I missed that flight sitting right at the gate embarassed . Airline brought down my luggage and off it went then i woke up

you be fine though .....Enjoy your trip

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by QueenID: 3:33pm On Jul 08, 2016
aadeyi:

there we go again, upon giving us late transcript, still hiding info again. shior

The only info I hid was the name of my school and my professors' too... So??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by tituzadeola: 3:39pm On Jul 08, 2016
How much is the new student visa fee?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by worry359(m): 3:42pm On Jul 08, 2016
QueenID:

Quite correct of you. smiley
It is pathetic how some here just want to copy other people.
Learn transcript answers and practice in front of a mirror.
Copy schools and teachers.
All rather than do a little research themself!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by aadeyi: 3:43pm On Jul 08, 2016
QueenID:

do you know how much good you will be doing yourself and newbies on here if you reveal the name of your sch?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2016
tituzadeola:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by aadeyi: 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2016
tituzadeola:

check the embassy website. it should be there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by worry359(m): 3:47pm On Jul 08, 2016
aadeyi:

do you know how much good you will be doing yourself and newbies on here if you reveal the name of your sch?

What does that matter?
Should every person here apply to the same school, same subject just because one person gained entry.
That is more likely to poison the school against Nigerians.
I do not blame the poster for keeping personal details confidential with people like you copying everything!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by aadeyi: 3:48pm On Jul 08, 2016
DeeTus:
I should stay on my lane? Is Nairaland track and field?

It's okay but always remember i told you the truth.

truth is bitter..... might need some sweet this time. thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by QueenID: 3:48pm On Jul 08, 2016
worry359:

Quite correct of you. smiley
It is pathetic how some here just want to copy other people.
Learn transcript answers and practice in front of a mirror.
Copy schools and teachers.
All rather than do a little research themself!

Lol... Abi o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 08, 2016
Dickofline, Ur questions have been answered.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mekurexx: 4:01pm On Jul 08, 2016
All these xxxx and Bleep transcripts! Bullshit! Good riddance to all of you! Already tired of newbies on this thread derailing the flow here. The people that posted full info do they have 4 heads? Or their visa revoked angry

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mekurexx: 4:06pm On Jul 08, 2016
Ogbeni what you just posted doesn't make sense. Nigerians "poison" schools due to their actions in the US and not on nairaland. Before d girl went for her interview she asked a heap load of questions. If we had given her bleep and xxxx answers would it be fair? And this your constant defence of copying transcript is dimwitted to say the least. will a prospective applicant print a thread full of transcripts and go for interview?
worry359:

What does that matter?
Should every person here apply to the same school, same subject just because one person gained entry.
I do not blame the poster for keeping personal details confidential with people like you copying everything!

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 4:08pm On Jul 08, 2016
worry359:

What does that matter?

Are you not needed for your usual trolling on Qatar or is it on Bahrain thread or something why you dey put mouth for wetin no concern you? Are you an applicant?? Are you schooling or did you school in the US ... Aproko

@Mekurexx walahi the nonsense don tire me, the gal could not even state the specific date the visa was issued it was 'wed-fri' ... I'm thinking this paranoia has a positive relationship with Buhari's change... People no wan stay... Na wa o

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 4:10pm On Jul 08, 2016
Mekurexx:
Ogbeni what you just posted doesn't make sense. Nigerians "poison" schools due to their actions in the US and not on nairaland. Before d girl went for her interview she asked a heap load of questions. If we had given her bleep and xxxx answers would it be fair? And this your constant defence of copying transcript is dimwitted to say the least. will a prospective applicant print a thread full of transcripts and go for interview?

Oga spare no thought for that worry359 the guy has patented dimwitted , one dimensional answers on this thread, I'm thinking he is autistic or something

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Lamlam79: 4:20pm On Jul 08, 2016
grin grin , People like fight 4 here. Every1 taking turn by turn who next
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by QueenID: 4:26pm On Jul 08, 2016
gunther6:

Are you not needed for your usual trolling on Qatar or is it on Bahrain thread or something why you dey put mouth for wetin no concern you? Are you an applicant?? Are you schooling or did you school in the US ... Aproko

@Mekurexx walahi the nonsense don tire me, the gal could not even state the specific date the visa was issued it was 'wed-fri' ... I'm thinking this paranoia has a positive relationship with Buhari's change... People no wan stay... Na wa o

When I posted my transcript.. I stated that I was interviewed on the 1st which was Friday...
The question I asked when I put the weds to fri date was because I wanted it to be a general question for all the people that were interviewed between weds and fri...

I didn't post the name of my school for personal reasons..

And when I went through people's transcripts.. I didn't have any business with the name of their school...all I wanted to know was how to prepare, the questions likely asked and how to structure my responses..it helped me...

I don't want any quarrel over this pls...it's not an issue..

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by QueenID: 4:29pm On Jul 08, 2016
Mekurexx:
All these xxxx and Bleep transcripts! Bullshit! Good riddance to all of you! Already tired of newbies on this thread derailing the flow here. The people that posted full info do they have 4 heads? Or their visa revoked angry

Good riddance to your misconception here too....
All this newbie this old members that... Abeg let it stop..
Haba!

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Pelaiye2703(m): 4:34pm On Jul 08, 2016
aadeyi:

1. As a traveler entering the US, u r not expected to carry cash exceeding $10k else, i dont know what can happen.

2. You do not need a yellow card to enter the US, your sch should have specified the type of vaccination you need to have before resumption which i believe the yellow card does not cover. But because of those bad immigration officer who might want to extort u, you might want to get the yellow card which is just around 500naira i guess.

3. Except you are carrying drugs or your visa looks fake, i don't think any immigration officer in his/her right sense will want to stop you when no b him papa give u visa.

4. If you are dangote's pikin or u like doing charity, you can start by sharing money from the airport gate (police man at the gate) down to the terminal gate where the airline staffs are waiting to salute you.

As a student you do not need much explanation or speech to give at the poe cos the officer already has all the info once your passport is scanned. Except you look suspicious yourself and you did not show up in a city that does not correspond with your destination as you have on your visa, then you are good to go. Just comport yourself and dont carry too much food as if the world is going to end.

Goodluck to you all as your journey draws near. Egbon Ade, moti send email si yin. Ejo e dami lohun oooo....

(1) (2) (3) ... (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) ... (402)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.