Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,617 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized (76188 Views)

Amina Ibrahim Dies Of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome In Kano After Taking Septrin / Stevens-johnson Syndrome: Cause, Symptoms And Treatment Of The Deadly Skin Issue / Amina Suffers Stevens-Johnson Syndrome In Katsina After Taking Septrin (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by lalasticlala(m): 9:56pm On May 13, 2016
The Federal Minister of Health, Issac Adewole, has revealed that there is a new disease in Nigeria which has killed a Nigerian while another is currently undergoing treatment at the National Hospital Abuja.
Briefing journalists in Abuja, on Friday, Mr. Adewole said the health condition known as Stephen Johnson Syndrome (SJS) was an unusual allergic reactions in Nigeria and some parts of Europe.

He said, “We have to find a means to communicate with Nigerians,so they should all be aware of this dangerous disease and it is the sole business of government to enlighten the society by trying to increase their awareness, knowledge and to improve their quality way of life.”

Dr. Olanrewaju Falodun a Senior Consultant Physician/Dermatologist at the National Hospital, Abuja, shed more light on the disease and the cases being handled in his hospital.

“Stephens Johnson Syndrome, is an immune complex mediated hypersensitivity reaction that typically involves the skin and mucous membranes and was first described in 1922 by Albert Stevens and Frank Johnson,” Mr. Falodun said.

SJS is a rare and unpredictable reaction, and is also a minor form of toxic epidermal necrolysis with less than 10 percent body surface area involvement, the consultant said.

“SJS is a rare but serious and potentially life-threatening contagious drug reaction. Incidence of SJS is estimated between 1.1 and 7.1 cases per million per year and is more prevalent in women than men. Incidence in Europe is two per million per year” Mr. Falodun said.

He confirmed that two cases were being treated at the Abuja National Hospital, saying one patient already passed while the other was still undergoing treatment.

He said the incidence was higher in Africa due to extensive use of herbal preparations and the prevalence of HIV.

He listed the symptoms of the SJS disease to include fever, sore throat, running nose, fatigue, general aches and pains, ulcers in mouth, genitals, anal regions as well as conjunctivitis.

The health complications, Mr. Falodun said, are pigmentation problems, skin scarring, scarred genitals, joint pains, lung diseases, obstructive disorders and eye complications, adhesions, ulcers, and blindness.

He however said the cause of the disease remained unknown in a quarter to half of cases but that self-medications appeared to be one of its causes.
He advised Nigerians to avoid misuse of drugs, while individuals with previous drug reactions should always inform healthcare practitioners so that in future they would be able to predict who is at risk of the disease using genetic screening.

Here are ways Mr. Falodun said SJS could be managed by hospitals:

1. Cessation of suspected drugs
2. Hospital Admission: Preferably in burns unit/intensive care
3. Nutritional and Fluid replacement
4. Temperature maintenance
5. Pain relief
6. Mouth-care

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/203379-nigerian-killed-another-hospitalized-new-deadly-disease.html

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3711978_20160513215820_jpeg15d3dfdceb2b91b5d298a536837e372b Man with Stevens–Johnson syndrome Photo credit: Wikipedia

4 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by ladyF(f): 9:57pm On May 13, 2016
Everyday one bad news!

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by cathodekazim: 10:01pm On May 13, 2016
Lalasticlala, go n sleep jare eetin be johnson syndrome again, hope nt the one we cn contct from d smelln puna or doro giver

3 Likes

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by Beamborla(f): 10:01pm On May 13, 2016
Issorite!
One disease or the other keeps poping out of the blue day in day out.

As for me and my house, we've taken refuge under the shadow of the Almighty.

296 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by jnrbayano(m): 10:01pm On May 13, 2016
Bad news always locate Nigeria

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 13, 2016
hmmmmmmmm.
this your SJS is nothing compared to our own Mohammed Buhari Syndrome (MBS). MBS is a slow killer which symptoms include high fuel price, no power supply, nonexistent forex exchange, non payment of salaries and so forth. abeg any disease wey wan come Nigeria we no fear. with the recent removal of fuel subsidy. WE ARE DEAD ALREADY, WE JUST HAVEN'T REALISE IT YET.
enough said

191 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by wise7(m): 10:05pm On May 13, 2016
Nawa o....lord have mercy

3 Likes

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by tollytexy(m): 10:07pm On May 13, 2016
Ebola be like.. welcome my brother..

5 Likes

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by Endison: 10:08pm On May 13, 2016
God, what wrong did we do to deserve Buhari. See the kind of badluck this man has brought along since he came in.

I wish God can return Abacha and take Buhari...we would be better off!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by lekjons(m): 10:08pm On May 13, 2016
*singing* "under the canopy, 2x
under the canopy of God,
the angels are watching me,
giving security,
under the canopy of God"

abi na, wetin remain to do again

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by berrystunn(m): 10:08pm On May 13, 2016
Buhari carry ham come

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 13, 2016
This is scary embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by eddyslim(m): 10:09pm On May 13, 2016
Which one is Stephen Johnson Syndrome again? God have mercy

6 Likes

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by yomalex(m): 10:09pm On May 13, 2016
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by neweraomo: 10:10pm On May 13, 2016
stephen johnson koor,buhari Fulani ni

11 Likes

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by tammie24: 10:10pm On May 13, 2016
God help us!!!

3 Likes

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by adioolayi(m): 10:10pm On May 13, 2016
God we've had enough....please help us!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by Young03(m): 10:10pm On May 13, 2016
Stephen Johnson ko David ospina ni

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by VickyRotex(f): 10:10pm On May 13, 2016
adioolayi:
God we've had enough....please help us!

Amen! embarassed

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by manny4life(m): 10:10pm On May 13, 2016
Hmm... Lord help us, like HIV/AIDS isn't enough, and why do I have a feeling that some group of people are behind this?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by flokii: 10:11pm On May 13, 2016
Ooohhhh!

Which kind thing be this na.

2 Likes

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by awesomesossy(f): 10:11pm On May 13, 2016
Steven Johnsons syndrome isn't new to naija na...had about two cases in Ubth last year and 2years ago..... it's mainly an adverse reaction to some drugs....especially NSAIDS...and about it being contagious,i don't think so..
Self-medication is so wrong...I really wish Nigerians would be more enlightened about d dangers of self medication....

imagine d last tym my grandma visited, I caught her searching my room...when I asked her y she was in my room, she said she was looking for red tablets...(she believes all red tablets are blood medicines) It took d intervention of my parents for her to give me all d red tablets in her possesion....

Self medication is so wrong

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by EmmaLege: 10:11pm On May 13, 2016
shocked

1 Like

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by pwettiejay(f): 10:11pm On May 13, 2016
Nawao, which one is stephen johnson syndrome again?

2 Likes

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by dunmorris(m): 10:11pm On May 13, 2016
embarassed

1 Like

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by thesicilian: 10:11pm On May 13, 2016
IS IT CONTAGIOUS?!

This is an unnecessary false alarm, as this disease which in most cases is caused by severe adverse reaction to some medications, is not contagious. Except in rare cases where it is caused by contagious infections.

It can occur in anybody, or any country, and many cases have been diagnosed in Nigeria for many years now (I've personally seen 3, about 5yrs ago)

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by danduj(m): 10:11pm On May 13, 2016
smh we go soon see mercy johnson syndrome

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by Mopolchi: 10:12pm On May 13, 2016
Which one again be stephen Johnson kwanu? I blame buhari

3 Likes

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by opius: 10:12pm On May 13, 2016
GOD HAVE MERCY ON ME AND MY FAMILY ...

Is like minister needs moneygringringrin

3 Likes

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 13, 2016
Saint Johnson sef, lalasticlala I no feel you today. The trainee wey handle this job no deserve pay at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by Onegai(f): 10:12pm On May 13, 2016
SJS is a reaction to medicine and not communicable. It's very rare and the easiest way to describe it is that your body is attacking itself due to something you took. Like a really bad allergy or side effect. Takes your skin off and destroys stuff.

Don't take any herbal preparation you're not sure of and be careful buying drugs and taking concoctions and pray. Because there's no prediction of whom gets it.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized by Psylas(m): 10:12pm On May 13, 2016
WOW GOD HAS CREATED ANOTHER SICKNESS

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Coronavirus: U.S Overtakes China, Italy With 84,400 Confirmed Cases, 1093 Deaths / Temitope Apanishile: The Boy Born Without Penis Cries Out For Help (Photo) / Raymond Dokpesi Tests Positive For Coronavirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.