Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,713 members, 7,851,435 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:17 PM

Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants (3515 Views)

Nigerian Army Constructing A Road Into Heartland Of Sambisa Pictures / Okorocha Constructing Bridges Without Design - COREN / Nigerian Power Plants To Shut Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by HAH: 8:11am On May 19, 2016
OP is absolutely right, We should concentrate on other sources of power, Hydro power is the cheapest form of power yet we abandoned it for gas and see the repercussion.

Before NIPP Nigeria is 70% reliant on Hydropower stations of Kainji, Jebba and Shiroro all in Niger state not for a single day there was sabotage by the host communities.

With this attitude the no one whether government or private would like to invest in the Niger Delta

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by fiizznation: 8:15am On May 19, 2016
[quote author=989900B post=45758978][/quote] Thanks for the correction here. Me bad

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by fiizznation: 8:18am On May 19, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Not true coal is the main source of power in US, do your research.

It was a slip of the thumb. My mistakes there. Thanks for the correction.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by OBAGADAFFI: 8:23am On May 19, 2016
fiizznation:
It was a slip of the thumb. My mistakes there. Thanks for the correction.

Ok I understand, but renewable energy sources got it limitations for industrialization.

That's why US, China are using Coal, Nuclear e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by modath(f): 8:27am On May 19, 2016
Francizy, come and contribute! This is your line.
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by juman(m): 8:39am On May 19, 2016
The minister has to use his brain 100 percent to get the country light up.

Other sources of power generation is highly necessary.

Buhari has not achieve anything in power sector in his one year as president.
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by fiizznation: 8:43am On May 19, 2016
989900B:

Diversification and elimination are two different things.

What is he diversifying in the energy sector? I think it will be more better if we concentrate on the gas and hydro we are using today instead of compiling the entire problems of the energy sector by jumping into what we don't have the money to do neither can we maintain it. Do you think "nuclear energy" is a child play? I don't want to believe that fashola dont know what renewable energy entails. You guys think wind, tidal, solar and biomass energy are ABC.
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by juman(m): 8:44am On May 19, 2016
All other military generals that ruled this country are not intelligent people that is why nigeria is still in darkness.

Unintelligent obasanjo built power generation in "flammable" areas. The area that are not secure.

While he left out other sources like that taraba dam that they said can generate 3.5kMW and others.

History will show maybe buhari is also unintelligent or intelligent person.
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by 989900B: 9:00am On May 19, 2016
fiizznation:
What is he diversifying in the energy sector? I think it will be more better if we concentrate on the gas and hydro we are using today instead of compiling the entire problems of the energy sector by jumping into what we don't have the money to do neither can we maintain it. Do you think "nuclear energy" is a child play? I don't want to believe that fashola dont know what renewable energy entails. You guys think wind, tidal, solar and biomass energy are ABC. [/i]

I am not Fashola. And you sir, are entitled to your opinion.

I do no support 'nuclear' for Nigeria either, even though it is arguably one of the best, bar the safety concerns which terrifies me, taking into consideration the disunity in this country, carelessness, and other security issues.

Solar plants can be tied with Wind/Gas/Hydro/Coal in a hybrid system.

Coal is abundant in Enugu and it is one of the most used in the world -- we are not making use of that.

Completion of hydro plant projects is a good place to start.

Gas/electricity plants should be located as close to source as possible.
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by comos: 9:09am On May 19, 2016
tit:
Leave the niger delta oil for them.
the thing don nearly finished sef.

if you want light, pay the niger delta for the gas.
if not, na darkness ooo

I like your comment.

Sell what you have to survive in Nigeria
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by 9jatriot(m): 9:10am On May 19, 2016
Fashola would have scored high points here if he had done as you have suggested here. I have listened to Barth Nnaji life one day, one thing he said that struck me was that, he practically had to be forcing the discos to buy power because majority of them were rejecting power.

This is a thread with solutions and not the usual insults. Let all the experts argue for and against and we communicate it through whatever means possible to the minister in charge of power. The power situation affects all of us.

Solutions is what Nigeria needs and all good hands must be on deck to provide solutions for everyone.
Seun, lalastical, mydn44
spymaster:

On the issue of Metering, the FG through the NERC must stop the exploitation of consumers by the fraudulent DISCOs. If not that it will hurt investors confidence, I would have suggested their licenses be revoked. They lack the technical and financial competences to run electricity distribution. The DISCOs were sold to friends and cronies who knew next to nothing about power generation.

Raji Fashola goofed by allowing them to increase tariff without appropriate metering. What he should have done is to give the DISCOs six months to meter consumers. After six months, un- metered consumers should not pay more than N2000 irrespective of energy consumed. If they are not metered after another six months, then they should not pay any bill till they are metered. A DISCO that can achieve 80% consumer metering can then be allowed to increase its tariff. I bet you, the DISCOs will rush and start installing meters. But now that the electricity tariff has been increased, they have no incentive or motivation to meter consumers again.

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by Ovamboland(m): 9:27am On May 19, 2016
Although dirty, coal is a viable option as it's abundant in Nigeria. We cannot be the conscience of the world on clean energy in the midst of so much suffering and stunted growth. Since the government has demonstrated that it cannot guarantee the security of gas supply it's a no brainier to go the coal route while monitoring developments in the renewable energy technology for possible adoption. The employment coal production will generate cannot be ignored. Those countries championing clean energy today have full employment and still burn huge tonnage of coal till today while discouraging us from using it.

We can never generate the same number of employment to produce gas compared to coal of same energy content

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by 989900B: 9:36am On May 19, 2016
Ovamboland:
Although dirty, coal is a viable option as it's abundant in Nigeria. We cannot be the conscience of the world on clean energy in the midst of so much suffering and stunted growth. Since the government has demonstrated that it cannot guarantee the security of gas supply it's a no brainier to go the coal route while monitoring developments in the renewable energy technology for possible adoption. The employment coal production will generate cannot be ignored. Those countries championing clean energy today have full employment and still burn huge tonnage of coal till today while discouraging us from using it.

We can never generate the same number of employment to produce gas compared to coal of same energy content

China, the US and UK all burn coal like no tomorrow . . . these are countries that our use of coal can never be up to 3% of theirs, even if we use coal alone to power the whole of Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by Ovamboland(m): 9:48am On May 19, 2016
989900B:

China, the US and UK all burn coal like tomorrow . . . these are countries that our use of coal can never be up to 3% of theirs, even if we use coal alone to power the whole of Nigeria!

we are just wasting time and opportunities by relying on gas pipeline prone to sabotage, when solar and wind are developed to acceptable level we will also adopt it

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by Babacele: 10:19am On May 19, 2016
fiizznation:
Whatever the case might be, solar can never be as efficient as a power plant that utilizes gas
a scientific mind never say never hence the innovations you see in the world and the possibilities of more awesome innovations ...

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by fiizznation: 10:29am On May 19, 2016
Babacele:
a scientific mind never say never hence the innovations you see in the world and the possibilities of more awesome innovations ...
I'm talking about efficiency here my friend.
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by Xapio: 10:44am On May 19, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:
@op coal is the largest source of energy.
From US to China more than 40 percent of their electricity energy come from coal.

Nigeria should forget this [b]hydrocarbon [/b]and focus on coal.
Is coal not hydrocarbon? undecided
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by OBAGADAFFI: 12:14pm On May 19, 2016
Xapio:

I know coal is part of hydrocarbon.

The hydrocarbon i am talk about is petroleum and natural gas.
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by Xapio: 12:22pm On May 19, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

I know coal is part of hydrocarbon.

The hydrocarbon i am talk about is petroleum and natural gas.
Alright..
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by barbiesparkz2(f): 12:24pm On May 19, 2016
Xapio:

Coal is pure carbon.
Though in its raw state it has impurities, of which hydrogen may be a part.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by Xapio: 12:42pm On May 19, 2016
barbiesparkz2:

Coal is pure carbon.
coal is pure carbon, then it has impurities which contains hydrogen.. What then is hydrocarbon? undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by Babacele: 12:55pm On May 19, 2016
barbiesparkz2:

Coal is pure carbon.
correct. absolutely correct.
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by fiizznation: 1:00pm On May 19, 2016
Xapio:
coal is pure carbon, then it has impurities which contains hydrogen.. What then is hydrocarbon? undecided undecided
lolx
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by Babacele: 1:07pm On May 19, 2016
Xapio:
a compound that contains carbon and hydrogen ,chemically combined together, while the coal with hydrogen impurities is just a mixture of carbon and hydrogen which are not chemically combined meaning they can be easily separated just like your' rice n stone' unlike in hydrocarbon eg your petrol which u destroy n would no longer b petrol if you try to separate the hydrogen n the carbons.... this is basic chemistry bro.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by mikolo80: 1:25pm On May 19, 2016
aresa:

Portugal for 3 days or more running powdered the whole of Portugal with renewable energy from windmill to solar and this one here is spewing ignorant nonsense.

How are industrial are you more than Portugal and Germany the largest economy in Europe that powdered the whole of Germany last week with renewable energy and not a drop of oil or gas?

Oil and gas is fast becoming a thing of the past and only foolish and irresponsible countries invests in fosil power plants these days.

Instead of spending billions of dollars on fosil power plants, we should be erecting windmills, letting rhe discos start installing roof top solar panels to supply uninterrupted power supply and charge same way they charge now. We wont even need transmission lines or other needless investments.

They should even be subsidizing solar installation with all the billions There are wasting on power plants.

There are too many easy way out, our leaders are just too slow and old in their thinking.

With solar and wind or other forms of renewable energy, norhing major breaks down and whatever is fixable in no time ans cheaply
first of all that's not how to talk in public.
how many gigawatts did it run.
how much did it cost relative to thermal. 10 times from my research.
it's easy to point fingers and make suggestions.
Abi you think say dem go give you the whole budget plus recurrent just to put up a 1 GW solar or wind farm. analyse every before you talk in publc. not everyone here is writing waec or from celebrity section
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by mikolo80: 1:36pm On May 19, 2016
Standing5:
It can india gets solar at less than N20 per kw-h, so it cheap enoug for us to adopt.
please show me a link. I de super interested.last time I bothered it was 800 per watt for panels. Pls send if you have it
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:00pm On May 19, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:
@op coal is the largest source of energy.
From US to China more than 40 percent of their electricity energy come from coal.

Nigeria should forget this hydrocarbon and focus on coal.
For me, all the parts of the country should have their power plants powered by a source of energy in their respective localities. In the South East, power should be generated by coal, which is in abundance in Enugu. In the South South, it should be generated by gas. In the South West, it should be generated by hydro or sun. In the north it should be generated by hydro, wind and/or solar.

It doesn't make sense for there to be a total black out in the country because the water in dams is low or because gas pipelines have been blown up.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by Babacele: 2:22pm On May 19, 2016
OP your piece is a beautiful one. it is apt and precisely hit the nail on the head of the Nigerian power situation. It is a pity that despite the fact there is power everywhere in Nigeria just waiting to b converted to a consumable state, bad leaders have only successfully successively leave us with energy crisis and energy poverty. Nigeria has everything that nature can boast of: air, natural gas, coal, water, fossil fuel, agro wastes( e.g poultry n cow droppings, fruits n vegetable wastes etc), sun, tidal ,nuclear ,human wastes and several other possible energy sources not yet explored. Energy can be transformed from one form to another hence the energy in a running water can be transformed to electrical energy that we consume in our homes, industries ,offices ,farms etc. Usually the energy flow involves generation, transmission and distribution. Nigeria can generate but can it transmit?
Long before Fashola mounted the power saddle and long before the sabotages from the ND, ex VP Atiku Abubakar conveyed and sponsored in 2002 a brainstorm on the Nigerian power situation ,drawing experts from all over the world. The document therefrom summarily suggests a diversified power stations spread all over Nigeria. That later form part of the policy document of the Atiku abubakar's action plan if he had been voted for as the president of Nigeria.

A diversified power generation strategy would make more energy available;provide several options for different categories of consumers;reduce the effect of sabotage ,accident or natural disaster; attract more investors; promote industrialization, job creation, local technological content development , and boost the economy. There are models all over the world where different power sources serve cost effectively different power needs. Coal, water ,solar , Natural gas , biogas etc can be adapted to serve specific communities of consumers in Nigeria . let us copy such models.
Fashola's meeting with the Taraba state's government last week to partner to set up a power station there is a good move .

God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by OBAGADAFFI: 3:42pm On May 19, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

For me, all the parts of the country should have their power plants powered by a source of energy in their respective localities. In the South East, power should be generated by coal, which is in abundance in Enugu. In the South South, it should be generated by gas. In the South West, it should be generated by hydro or sun. In the north it should be generated by hydro, wind and/or solar.

It doesn't make sense for there to be a total black out in the country because the water in dams is low or because gas pipelines have been blown up.

Correct, power plants should be sited close to the source of energy nation wide.

Every state got a reliable source of energy

1 Like

Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by aresa: 5:22pm On May 19, 2016
[s]
fiizznation:
You see my friend wind and solar are very expensive to maintain. Besides, erecting windmills that will generate the amount of power/megawatts Nigerians need will likely run into billions of dollars. Aside from the pollution and environmental degradation cause by fossil fuels/fossil power plants, it still remains our best option for power generation for the meantime. Why? Well fossil power plants have the capacity to generate huge amount of electricity in just one single place, but the average windmill or your solar can't do this. I don't think we should also ignore the efficiency of fossil power plants and its cost effectiveness.

I don't even think any power minister in Nigeria will ever ignore fossil power plants and venture into renewable energy when we have gas in abundance
[/s]

1. Wind and solar requires all most zero maintenance especially solar. What's their to maintain in stationary and none mechanical solar panels? Please tell us.

2. Solar and windmills are renewable energy that's great for the environment and where the rest of the world is heading.

3. Where is the sense and wisdom in investing billions in ancient rubbish that the rest of the world is dying to leave behind? Are you stuck in reverse?

4. Like I said, Portugal and Germany powered their country for days last week without gas, oil or coal, everything was done with renewable energy.

5. It's very ignorant and ridiculous to say wind and solar can not produce enough power in Nigeria when countries like Germany, the largest economy in Europe is functioning entirely on renewable energy.

Do you people even think or read through what you type before posting or you just type and post just for the heck of it?
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by aresa: 5:33pm On May 19, 2016
mikolo80:
first of all that's not how to talk in public.
how many gigawatts did it run.
how much did it cost relative to thermal. 10 times from my research.
it's easy to point fingers and make suggestions.
Abi you think say dem go give you the whole budget plus recurrent just to put up a 1 GW solar or wind farm. analyse every before you talk in publc. not everyone here is writing waec or from celebrity section

I don't even remember saying anything about GW so what are you rambling about or you just can not read and comprehend simple English words..

Do you need analysis to tell you that you must start from somewhere with what you have till you achieve your objective?

The fact that you can not walk today doesn't mean you should not start crawling today to allow you to walk tomorrow.

It's common sense that we can not generate everything we need today regardless what form of energy we build because we don' have the capacity and resources, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't start from somewhere. Every thousand mile starts from taking the first step.

You people reason too shallow and depthless..
Re: Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants by gists: 5:47pm On May 19, 2016
I can see some people are already getting scared. I can't wait for the diversification of power sources- the country will soon give them "their oyel". Little wonder they are saying no to an apparent excellent initiative from best governor of his generation tongue tongue tongue
The statement reiterated federal government’s commitment in diversifying its energy mix beyond traditional sources of gas, oil and Hydro to include nuclear and other renewable sources like solar, biomass and wind.
http://pulse.ng/local/babatunde-fashola-fg-to-diversify-electricity-generation-using-nuclear-energy-id4815754.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos: Ifeanyi Ubah Grades Nnewi Bad Road Abandoned By The Anambra Govt / Atiku Takes Ebonyi By Less Than 200K, APC Coasts Home With 35% / Wind Has Blown Of The Roof Of Newly Constructed Stadium

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.