Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,469 members, 7,770,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:04 AM

Ask A Pilot... - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask A Pilot... (106360 Views)

Pilot Saves Baby After Being Involved In A Horrible Accident In Lagos. Photos / Nigerian Pilot, Ademilola, Makes History As First African To Fly The World Solo / Young Pilot Who Flew His Mother: "One Of The Best Days Of My Life" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 5:36am On May 23, 2016
Love this new thread.... I really envy pilots..have thousands of cockpit videos. Landing and take off procedure. But my love for helicopters is just cool. Awesome machine. Ability to take off and land in any open cleared space.. Already met couple of caverton and Bristow pilots..and learnt alot from ground-based tutorial... Hoping I see a sponsor. Gods grace... But their humor is amazing. A helicopter. Pilot once told me... Fixed wings are for sisi ''s. But rotary are the real ball game....i confirmed this statement... When I tired landing a BELL 412 in my simulator. Gosh.....

5 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 5:42am On May 23, 2016
igwemoagbo:
Love this new thread.... I really envy pilots..have thousands of cockpit videos. Landing and take off procedure. But my love for helicopters is just cool. Awesome machine. Ability to take off and land in any open cleared space.. Already met couple of caverton and Bristow pilots..and learnt alot from ground-based tutorial... Hoping I see a sponsor. Gods grace... But their humor is amazing. A helicopter. Pilot once told me... Fixed wings are for sisi ''s. But rotary are the real ball game....i confirmed this statement... When I tired landing a BELL 412 in my simulator. Gosh.....

grin if I see the guy that said fixed wing is for sisi's, he will use his rotary wings for his next international flight.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask A Pilot... by oluwarantimi(f): 7:15am On May 23, 2016
Thanks for this opportunity OP.
Whats the best first step after secondary school for aspiring pilots? University or Aviation school? Asking this for my younger brother who interested in aviation.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by xager(m): 8:06am On May 23, 2016
How are airports rated? Is it primarily by the length of their runways?
And what does it mean for an airport to be tagged bravo, Charlie, delta or echo?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 9:51am On May 23, 2016
oluwarantimi:
Thanks for this opportunity OP.
Whats the best first step after secondary school for aspiring pilots? University or Aviation school? Asking this for my younger brother who interested in aviation.

Hmmmm.

Personally, I would advise he goes to uni first if possible, that gives him options in the long run.

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 10:50am On May 23, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

My best was my first solo flight, that's where it all began. My worst was a cross wind landing, we had to abort the landing thrice and finally landed at the fourth attempt.
I guess that your worst flight most have kept your boxer drenched. and kept your heart in your heart.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 11:16am On May 23, 2016
Hi Pilot, I once took-off PHC to LAGOS during a very heavy rainfall.
Infact the pilot taxi-ed when it was pouring down, then proceeded to take-off.

Is this normally allowed? ,What are the possible risks?

I was really apprehensive.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:27am On May 23, 2016
GENIUS18:

Pilots work with weather reports, so if it's not good, the pilot will not be allowed to take-off. The reason he proceeded with take off was because the weather conditions met the minimum requirements for take off. So no risk there.

3 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:31am On May 23, 2016
WinningSun:

I guess that your worst flight most have kept your boxer drenched. and kept your heart in your heart.

A pilot is trained to maintain composure when things go south else that spells doom. It's a very important part of our training. My captain took control of the aircraft since he's more experienced and handled the situation and I learnt.

9 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:34am On May 23, 2016
xager:
How are airports rated? Is it primarily by the length of their runways?
And what does it mean for an airport to be tagged bravo, Charlie, delta or echo?

Airports are rated based on different categories of ICAO.

Bravo, Charlie etc are identifiers we use to clearly communicate some technical terms to avoid misinformation.

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by phibetakappa: 11:41am On May 23, 2016
I see exhaust pipe at the tail end of some planes, mostly bigger plane. Do these planes have engines at their tail end?
Thanks for this thread.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 12:12pm On May 23, 2016
phibetakappa:
I see exhaust pipe at the tail end of some planes, mostly bigger plane. Do these planes have engines at their tail end?
Thanks for this thread.

No sir, it's for the Auxiliary Power Unit that helps provide power to the aircraft while it on ground.

9 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by phibetakappa: 12:16pm On May 23, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

No sir, it's for the Auxiliary Power Unit that helps provide power to the aircraft while it on ground.
Thank You Sir!

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by idu1(m): 12:24pm On May 23, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

why is helicopter pilot training costier?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by CaptainRahl(m): 12:38pm On May 23, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

grin if I see the guy that said fixed wing is for sisi's, he will use his rotary wings for his next international flight.
lol
Re: Ask A Pilot... by xager(m): 12:42pm On May 23, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Airports are rated based on different categories of ICAO.

Bravo, Charlie etc are identifiers we use to clearly communicate some technical terms to avoid misinformation.
Thank you.
During final approach, how do pilots calculate their rate of descent with respect to their speed, altitude and distance from the aiming point on the runway without going so low or too high?

Secondly, do aircrafts have horns? grin

7 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by oluwarantimi(f): 1:36pm On May 23, 2016
Oh Alright. Thanks.
Boeing777pilot:

Hmmmm.

Personally, I would advise he goes to uni first if possible, that gives him options in the long run.

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 1:42pm On May 23, 2016
how can a person with admission into a flight school (for fixed wings) in Nigeria , get sponsorship? my state govt requires "leg", and applying to airlines, they give one story or the other. some staff that I know, said nothing of such as we see on the newspaper that Nigeria airlines sponsor cadets...am at a cross road here

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 1:58pm On May 23, 2016
xager:

Thank you.
During final approach, how do pilots calculate their rate of descent with respect to their speed, altitude and distance from the aiming point on the runway without going so low or too high?

Secondly, do aircrafts have horns? grin

It's all done during the flight planning stages which is inputted into the flight management system, then the traffic controllers guide us during approach based on what we have filed. They can change it depending on prevailing circumstances.

Horns ke? Like the ones that blows "peem peem"?
Yes, kind of.

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 2:00pm On May 23, 2016
idu1:
why is helicopter pilot training costier?

Can't say because I haven't done comparison to actually find out which is more expensive.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 2:05pm On May 23, 2016
okikiosibodu:
how can a person with admission into a flight school (for fixed wings) in Nigeria , get sponsorship? my state govt requires "leg", and applying to airlines, they give one story or the other. some staff that I know, said nothing of such as we see on the newspaper that Nigeria airlines sponsor cadets...am at a cross road here

If you believe in miracles, anything is possible.
Just keep your ears to the ground. Airlines are more likely to employ you after getting your commercial license, and they are not exactly keen on paying for your type ratings because after spending millions training pilots, they run to other airlines with better pay. Loyalty...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 2:08pm On May 23, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Boeing and Airbus are both aircraft manufacturers.

The Dreamliner is the name of an aircraft manufactured by Boeing.

Hmmmnnn. I remember "cramming" different aircrafts models when preparing for an exam in a flight school in Nigeria (diamond aircraft 40 &42 tampico, cessna, arrower, etc) and when the interviewer askd me to mention the aircraft manufacturers I know, I started with my list, and was quite convinced that I nailed it, until he smile and said "those are are training aircrafts. tell me the commercial aircraft manufacturers you know". My looks changed and I remembered airbus and Boeing (cause prior to the interview, I read up a topic on Google on yoke: joystick vs controll wheel), so I strted again with "Challenger 405, challenger 505, and Boeing 747n 737, etc). The smile on the interviewer's face got me worried again, And he said "first, Challenger is a private aircraft manufacturer, not commercial, And you have mentioned boeing, W also have airbus.do you know any other one?" I said "no" sadly (but he was quite impressed sha, that I have an idea). Now, pls can you kindly list some aircraft manufacturers apart from Boeing and Airbus, for future reference, cause I am not sure I googled the question correctly as I have not seen any positive response yet, or they the only two we have?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 2:21pm On May 23, 2016
okikiosibodu:

Hmmmnnn. I remember "cramming" different aircrafts models when preparing for an exam in a flight school in Nigeria (diamond aircraft 40 &42 tampico, cessna, arrower, etc) and when the interviewer askd me to mention the aircraft manufacturers I know, I started with my list, and was quite convinced that I nailed it, until he smile and said "those are are training aircrafts. tell me the commercial aircraft manufacturers you know". My looks changed and I remembered airbus and Boeing (cause prior to the interview, I read up a topic on Google on yoke: joystick vs controll wheel), so I strted again with "Challenger 405, challenger 505, and Boeing 747n 737, etc). The smile on the interviewer's face got me worried again, And he said "first, Challenger is a private aircraft manufacturer, not commercial, And you have mentioned boeing, W also have airbus.do you know any other one?" I said "no" sadly (but he was quite impressed sha, that I have an idea). Now, pls can you kindly list some aircraft manufacturers apart from Boeing and Airbus, for future reference, cause I am not sure I googled the question correctly as I have not seen any positive response yet, or they the only two we have?

Commercial aircraft manufacturers
Embraer
Boeing
Airbus
Bombardier crj series
UAC (Russian)
Fooker
Saab
Mistibushi

Private aircraft manufacturers
Dassault Falcon series
Bombardier global express series
Cessna citation series
Gulf Stream
Hawker
Beech craft

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 2:25pm On May 23, 2016
GENIUS18:

it's part of their trianing Multi -engine rating, Instrument rating, and Night rating. as a matter of fact, they wait for bad weather conditions during their training phase in the flight school , to handle situations better. in the case of low visibility, they rely on their instruments (that's why they need instrument rating), and the ATC (Air Traffic Controller), he coordinates traffic in the air, who gives the pilot minute to minute update about the weather condition as he (the ATC) is in direct contact with with metreololgists . They both are under NAMA (Nigerian Airspace Management Agency)

6 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 2:33pm On May 23, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

If you believe in miracles, anything is possible.
Just keep your ears to the ground. Airlines are more likely to employ you after getting your commercial license, and they are not exactly keen on paying for your type ratings because after spending millions training pilots, they run to other airlines with better pay. Loyalty...
person wey no fit afford school fees, how e wan see CPL licence collect? Can't the Airline make potential cadets sign bonds or a form of agreement, stating their loyalty to the company after training, or them paying certain amount of money before leaving? me for one, I see no reason for leaving a company that helped me to bring my dream I've been nursing since childhood into reality

I love your thread. it gives hope to many enthusiastic and potential successful pilots out their (personally, I have longed to be a successful and celebrated pilot right from my primary school days, since when I could tell my left from my right) . Also, I see many aviation curiosity, satisfied here. love you sir, see you at the top

4 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 2:36pm On May 23, 2016
okikiosibodu:

person wey no fit afford school fees, how e wan see CPL licence collect?

Don't. Ever. Give. Up.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask A Pilot... by xager(m): 2:37pm On May 23, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

It's all done during the flight planning stages which is inputted into the flight management system, then the traffic controllers guide us during approach based on what we have filed. They can change it depending on prevailing circumstances.

Horns ke? Like the ones that blows "peem peem"?
Yes, kind of.
Ok. But if the traffic controllers guide you, what then is the role of the instrument landing system in the aircraft?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 2:41pm On May 23, 2016
xager:

Ok. But if the traffic controllers guide you, what then is the role of the instrument landing system in the aircraft?

There are other aircraft in the area, so traffic controllers ensure that every one stays in their lanes putting it in simple terms.

ILS essentially helps us land in bad weather among other uses

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 2:41pm On May 23, 2016
xager:

Instrument Rating (IR) is more useful in a situation where there is low or no visibility
Re: Ask A Pilot... by xager(m): 2:51pm On May 23, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

There are other aircraft in the area, so traffic controllers ensure that every one stays in their lanes putting it in simple terms.

ILS essentially helps us land in bad weather among other uses
okikiosibodu:

Instrument Rating (IR) is more useful in a situation where there is low or no visibility
Thanks. What's the likelihood of young pilots (say early twenties) getting employed? Are there age restrictions or preferences for certain ages?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 3:02pm On May 23, 2016
xager:

Thanks. What's the likelihood of young pilots (say early twenties) getting employed? Are there age restrictions or preferences for certain ages?

in addiction to this questions sir, I grew up with this knowledge that pilots have a particular age they must reach before they are allowed to marry as their marital status/ responsibility can affect their concentration when on duty...is that correct sir?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by itstpia8: 3:07pm On May 23, 2016
GENIUS18:

Taking off during rainfall in Nigeria is not necessarily as much of an issue as trying to land during a rainfall.

Some of the aircrashes blamed on rainfall happened during descent.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Ugly Britain / Tanker Fire On Lagos Ibadan Expressway: Corpses Evacuated, Eyewitness Accounts / Nigerian In Philippines Displays Relief Items Given To Him By Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.