Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,657 members, 7,809,484 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:26 AM

Ask A Pilot... - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask A Pilot... (107070 Views)

Pilot Saves Baby After Being Involved In A Horrible Accident In Lagos. Photos / Nigerian Pilot, Ademilola, Makes History As First African To Fly The World Solo / Young Pilot Who Flew His Mother: "One Of The Best Days Of My Life" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask A Pilot... by wine4dguy: 4:10pm On Jun 03, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

1.No idea, never worked in Nigeria but some airlines have better pay conditions than others.

2. PPL /CPL South Africa, type rating USA

3. Just keep your ears to the ground and network with aviation professionals in the industry, it's usually faster if you are already type rated because the airline doesn't need to spend resources training you .
I was privately sponsored.

4. Yes, I do, kind of. I operate intercontinental flights and usually work for around 20days / month, the remaining time is split between stand by and off duty.
Which SA flight school can you recommend for PPL in terms of affordability and credibility
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jun 03, 2016
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 03, 2016
CFCman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qRyEdRJnls
dnt hav fast ntwrk here wats in the video
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 03, 2016
gebhota:
dnt hav fast ntwrk here wats in the video
Its Emirates cool in-flight service from Lusaka-Harare-Dubai.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jun 03, 2016
CFCman:

Its Emirates cool in-flight service from Lusaka-Harare-Dubai.
nice i cnt see myslf flying those big birds carrying many lives dtx why i prefer helicopters
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Originalsly: 12:16am On Jun 04, 2016
xager:

I believe every passenger has one underneath their seat. And it's the job of the hosts/hostesses to put them through.
Parachute under the seat? Really? ... I thought was life jacket. Parachute under the seat... the first jolt from turbulence. .. ones would be grabbing that parachute...opening the exit and bailing out.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Originalsly: 12:25am On Jun 04, 2016
@Op.....when on an intercontinental flight and bad weather pops up along the way causing you guys to divert..... how do you still manage to reach your destination on time?....do you speed up to make up the time?....or take a shorter flight path?...if shorter path why not use that in the first place?....and don't for a moment think I'm running out of questions!
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 12:35pm On Jun 04, 2016
gebhota:
nice i cnt see myslf flying those big birds carrying many lives dtx why i prefer helicopters

All lives are valuable be it one or one hundred, that shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether or not you wanna do rotary or fixed wing

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 12:38pm On Jun 04, 2016
gebhota:
hmm parachutes for over a hundred pipo nt evry1 cn use parachute now

There's also the weight and cost implication to consider
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 2:58pm On Jun 04, 2016
Where was I ?! grin

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 7:07pm On Jun 04, 2016
Cutehector:
alright. I want to knw how to land a plane.. what is the procedure.. incase during an emergency, maybe both pilots are incapacitated.

What can a lay man do in this point. To land the plane

Let me invite you to FSX wink so that flying won't be a mystery anymore
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Cutehector(m): 7:09pm On Jun 04, 2016
jude33084:

Let me invite you to FSX wink so that flying won't be a mystery anymore
ok, how do I go about it
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jun 04, 2016
Olisa4all:

All lives are valuable be it one or one hundred, that shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether or not you wanna do rotary or fixed wing
i knw dtx just 1 of the reasons
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:00pm On Jun 04, 2016
Originalsly:
@Op.....when on an intercontinental flight and bad weather pops up along the way causing you guys to divert..... how do you still manage to reach your destination on time?....do you speed up to make up the time?....or take a shorter flight path?...if shorter path why not use that in the first place?....and don't for a moment think I'm running out of questions!

Well, we are not under any pressure to reach our destination in the event we have to change course but should my captain decide to cut down on lost time, we fly faster.

Traffic could be congested on those shorter routes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:02pm On Jun 04, 2016
wine4dguy:

Which SA flight school can you recommend for PPL in terms of affordability and credibility

AUAA

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by xager(m): 11:15pm On Jun 04, 2016
Originalsly:
Parachute under the seat? Really? ... I thought was life jacket. Parachute under the seat... the first jolt from turbulence. .. ones would be grabbing that parachute...opening the exit and bailing out.
You're right. I mistook the life jacket for the parachute.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by wine4dguy: 11:57pm On Jun 04, 2016
Boeing777pilot:
AUAA
ok mafikeng
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Priceless200(f): 5:29pm On Jun 05, 2016
How much and how long does it take to train a pilot to standard and how much does a pilot earn generally, both here and abroad. As there some kind of discrimination between foreign trained pilots and home trained.. Also is Challenger and eeeehhh... (I forgot oo) only for private jets...?

Hmmmmm, I ve got plenty questions ooo.. No vex
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 5:51pm On Jun 05, 2016
Cutehector:
ok, how do I go about it
1. Where do you live? ( I am in Lagos)

2. How good is your system (preocessor and ram)

3 Laptop or Desktop?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Cutehector(m): 5:53pm On Jun 05, 2016
jude33084:

1. Where do you live? ( I am in Lagos)

2. How good is your system (preocessor and ram)

3 Laptop or Desktop?
urm, presently i'm in ph, i do stay in lag too

Atom processor... Ram is 1gb.. I got an ipad tho

Laptop
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jun 05, 2016
Cutehector:
urm, presently i'm in ph, i do stay in lag too

Atom processor... Ram is 1gb.. I got an ipad tho

Laptop
that's not spec enough. You need to build a desktop to enjoy fsx. Or a laptop with i5 or i7 core 6-8gig ram 2.6ghz. Processor

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Cutehector(m): 7:32pm On Jun 05, 2016
igwemoagbo:
that's not spec enough. You need to build a desktop to enjoy fsx. Or a laptop with i5 or i7 core 6-8gig ram 2.6ghz. Processor
shocked 6gb ram? Mehn dats huge.. i'm pretty sure second hand of the laptop will cost around 70k or higher
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Originalsly: 2:08am On Jun 06, 2016
When landing especially at nights when it is raining.... can barely see past your nose... how do you see what you're doing?.... do the blue runway lights remain visible despite the low visibility?

3 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by mosquitoway: 3:54am On Jun 06, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Probably in eastern Europe...

The cheapest place for flight training at this point is canada. The canadian dollar has lost value and you can get a cpl/multi ifr for about 35k canadian dollars.its cheaper than anywhere in europe,u.s or s.a

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 8:50am On Jun 06, 2016
Cutehector:
shocked 6gb ram? Mehn dats huge.. i'm pretty sure second hand of the laptop will cost around 70k or higher

Fsx, Prepar3d or Xplane10 are all flight simulators and NOT a game. Also, they don't joke with processors lol smiley

My system is a desktop, quadcore, 8gig ram yet it slows it down.

Aviation sch is too expensive for me hence I took to virtual flying wink

With 60k you will get a desktop with i5 processor in computer village Lagos.

I want you to really try the sims

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Cutehector(m): 8:57am On Jun 06, 2016
jude33084:

Fsx, Prepar3d or Xplane10 are all flight simulators and NOT a gam. Also, they don't joke with processors lol smiley

My system is a desktop, quadcore, 8gig ram yet it slows it down.

Aviation sch is too expensive for me hence I took to virtual flying wink

With 60k you will get a desktop with i5 processor in computer village Lagos.

I want you to really try the sims
naaah i dnt need a desktop... Smth i can move with.. Lol 8gig yet it slows it down, woow.... Yh i can get an i5 there, i hav a trustworthy guy...
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 2:28pm On Jun 06, 2016
Cutehector:
naaah i dnt need a desktop... Smth i can move with.. Lol 8gig yet it slows it down, woow.... Yh i can get an i5 there, i hav a trustworthy guy...

Ok, i5 lappy will do but will be more expensive sha.

I have a Macbook pro and a compaq lappy but after going into the flight sims I discovered that it is not meant for lappy wink

You can install it, run it but when it comes to installing addons; air crafts, scenery, weather etc your system may burn up smiley

Contact Igwe- for FSX files
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Cutehector(m): 2:46pm On Jun 06, 2016
jude33084:

Ok, i5 lappy will do but will be more expensive sha.

I have a Macbook pro and a compaq lappy but after going into the flight sims I discovered that it is not meant for lappy wink

You can install it, run it but when it comes to installing addons; air crafts, scenery, weather etc your system may burn up smiley

Contact Igwe- for FSX files
urm I think I will be needing to get that desktop. cheesy

Ok urm, first off, I wana buy ur laptop, deal?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 6:13pm On Jun 06, 2016
Cutehector:
urm I think I will be needing to get that desktop. cheesy

Ok urm, first off, I wana buy ur laptop, deal?

Get a gaming laptop, they have high end graphics card coupled with the high specs which would make your flight sim run effortlessly albeit they're expensive..

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Cutehector(m): 6:15pm On Jun 06, 2016
Olisa4all:

Get a gaming laptop, they have high end graphics card coupled with the high specs which would make your flight sim run effortlessly albeit they're expensive..
just gv me a price range leme knw my target
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 6:43pm On Jun 06, 2016
Originalsly:
When landing especially at nights when it is raining.... can barely see past your nose... how do you see what you're doing?.... do the blue runway lights remain visible despite the low visibility?

Hope this helps, took this picture myself...
PS
Runway lights aren't blue, taxiway edge lights are

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:43am On Jun 08, 2016
Originalsly:

We use ILS (instrument landing system) when visibility is low, so we trust our instruments and not what we see.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Which Countries Are Visa-Free To Nigeria Citizens? / Cost Of Nigerian International Passport / Lagos Plane Crash: List Of Passengers & Survivors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.