Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,660 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits (66233 Views)

Why You Need To Find A 2nd Source Of Income After Your Salary / Pic. Meet The First Nigerian Woman To Serve As A Lieutenant In The Israeli Army. / See How This Hausa Lady Who Is A 2nd Class Bsc Holder Makes Her Money In Abuja(p (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by mattiu(m): 7:59am On May 31, 2016
2nd lieutenant basic salary is 120k
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Deepfreezer(m): 8:01am On May 31, 2016
Xbabangida:

Its a lieutenant that's a commissioned officer not a second lieutenant. You people r just arguing blindly.
ignore them, 2nd lieutenant is a non comissioned officer, for fresh graduates with Bsc starts with the rank.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Nobody: 8:04am On May 31, 2016
Deepfreezer:
ignore them, 2nd lieutenant is a non comissioned officer, for fresh graduates with Bsc starts with the rank.
I tire for their matter o. They are now making me feel as if I don't know what I'm saying.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by claremont(m): 8:06am On May 31, 2016
Xbabangida:
Commanding troops as a 2nd lieutenant? I laugh in Spanish. grin. The war front somewhere in Adamawa or borno is where your bubble will burst as you are a noncommissioned officer. Only the commissioned officer (From Major , colonel , brigadier general, major general, General) command troops and sit inside AC dashing out orders . Your job as a lieutenant is to assisist a captain of a troop in organization and tactical approach during warfare.
Modified: A second lieutenant is a commissioned officer. Only if you attained that from passing through the NDA

This is the kind of uninformed, ignorant thrash we don't like to see on front page. In your haste to be FTC, you just exposed yourself to the world that you know absolutely nothing about the military, and you can't be bothered to even do some basic research before responding.

@op, the military will take priority over your business, your family, and your life. It's called selfless commitment. I don't know how much they get paid in Nigeria, but what I do know is that, a military officer is a very respectable job. As a second lieutenant, you will have junior NCOs, senior NCOs, and privates under your command. Your next rank up is a full lieutenant, and then after that, a Captain.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by impregnable10(m): 8:08am On May 31, 2016
There is no specific job description for 2nd LT. But, I will advise you to stay and do your business. You have passion for it.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Nobody: 8:10am On May 31, 2016
I see one of the main reason our soldiers aren't respected arnd the globe. In western world if u mention about joining the military friends and folks will applaud Coz u're putting ur life in line to save theirs and ur beloved nation. But here people i mean 75% will advice you against it without even knowing what it means and the advantage.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Phi001(m): 8:12am On May 31, 2016

2 Likes

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Phi001(m): 8:14am On May 31, 2016
claremont:

This is the kind of uninformed, ignorant thrash we don't like to see on front page. In your haste to be FTC, you just exposed yourself to the world that you know absolutely nothing about the military, and you can't be bothered to even do some basic research before responding.

@op, the military will take priority over your business, your family, and your life. It's called selfless commitment. I don't know how much they get paid in Nigeria, but what I do know is that, a military officer is a very respectable job. As a second lieutenant, you will have junior NCOs, senior NCOs, and privates under your command. Your next rank up is a full lieutenant, and then after that, a Captain.
You are very correct sir!!!
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Phi001(m): 8:16am On May 31, 2016
[quote author=Xbabangida post=46130102]
I tire for their matter o. They are now making me feel as if I don't know what I'm saying.[/q]

You don't know what you're saying.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Nobody: 8:17am On May 31, 2016
claremont:

@op, the military will take priority over your business, your family, and your life. It's called selfless commitment. I don't know how much they get paid in Nigeria, but what I do know is that, a military officer is a very respectable job. As a second lieutenant, you will have junior NCOs and privates under your command. Your next rank up is a full lieutenant, and then after that, a Captain.
Son, do I know you before or have we ever come across? So why pour all your frustrations on me. A situation where a 2nd lieutenant can be considered for commissioning is if he/she passes through the NDA or other military academy available. A situation when the subject involves a degree holder willing to join the armed forces,(they usually start off as a second lieutenant in 80% of situations. Its not always), you wait to be promoted to the rank as a full lieutenant before you can be considered for commissionning. I'm done arguing with illiterates here. #peace.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Phi001(m): 8:17am On May 31, 2016
syntekelite:

@op if you are very hardworking and gifted and ur bosses see that you can command a platoon...but most times as a new 2nd lieutenant you will probably be transfered to a checkpoint or patrol in borno..or kaduna.. safe..
That's for rank and file....
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by juliuscapps(m): 8:21am On May 31, 2016
A commissioned officer in the Nigeria army starts from 2nd lieutenant with one star, while the next rank which is a lieutenant with 2 star. The basic pay of a 2nd lieutenant starts from 120k while that of a lieutenant starts from 180k upwards.
Xbabangida:

Its a lieutenant that's a commissioned officer not a second lieutenant. You people r just arguing blindly.

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Phi001(m): 8:23am On May 31, 2016
Xbabangida:

Son, do I know you before or have we ever come across? So why pour all your frustrations on me. A situation where a 2nd lieutenant can be considered for commissioning is if he/she passes through the NDA or other military academy available. A situation when the subject involves a degree holder willing to join the armed forces,(they usually start off as a second lieutenant in 80% of situations. Its not always), you wait to be promoted to the rank as a full lieutenant before you can be considered for commissionning. I'm done arguing with illiterates here. #peace.
You're quite wrong......it's either you enter through rank and file and make it up to sergeant major like my grandfather or you go through NDA as an army officer.....like my father....starting from 2nd lieutenant up to Brigadier

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by ruggedtimi(m): 8:30am On May 31, 2016
Yungwizzzy:
See them. Politicians relative

They even have options...
so u no get any politician relative...maybe him never rememba u yet.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Nobody: 8:31am On May 31, 2016
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Good morning guys, I am a graduate from the Premier University and recently passed out from NYSC programme. I have always been into business right from my university days because I crave independence.

While serving, I was also into business. Before passing out, I launched my startup and currently have 2 employees. Although, I studied mechanical engineering, I have no plans to work in the industry, except as a business person utilizing my skills.

Now for the purpose of this post. I have an uncle who has contacted me twice to join the armed forces - police and recently army. He is a politician and has a slot and wants someone from our family to fill the position. I outrightly turned down the police offer but recently army came in and I am having second thoughts.

As a child I wanted to be a soldier but I was an only son. Hell no, there's no way my parents would have allowed me go to NDA. I am 23, ambitious, and still crave independence and financial buoyancy.

I want to find out what the benefits of joining the army are. Specifically as a second lieutenant. Would I be commanding troops? Can I combine it with my business? The latter is my major concern, I don't have plans of touching the salary I get from NA.

Basically, what is my job description, the demands of the job, and the time I get for myself. Thanks in anticipation.

.. chaii, @ op you said you're the only son
I don't believed it,

I've not heard an only son going into the military... "in fact I suspect that uncle of yours"
he didn't mean well for ur family.. l can see there's a portion of land in which after your demise he will get hold of it

you think he loves.. dey there....

... as the only son after your demise your family name closes and how. an he achieve that?

...by helping you to going the arms forces.

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Chuknovski(m): 8:32am On May 31, 2016
Painful but true, that's the norm in this country Godfatherism, the future of Nigerian youths is at the mercy of God
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by juliuscapps(m): 8:35am On May 31, 2016
No ma, whether you passed through NDA, DSSC or SSC as the case may be, you are a commissioned officer depending on the rank which starts from 2nd LT or LT. Make your findings right. When you passed through DSSC, you will earn a rank of a LT with 2 star but may not get to the rank of a brig gen while when you passed through SSC, you will earn the rank of a 2nd LT and can get to the rank of general in the army. NDA are regular commissioned officer and can command troops up to the level of general.
Xbabangida:

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by rigarmortis: 8:35am On May 31, 2016
Xbabangida:

SSC APPLICATION CRITERIA

1. Applications are invited from eligible Nigerians for commission into the Nigerian Army (NA) as

Short Service Combatant (SSC) Commission officers. The SSC is open to both civilians and serving

military personnel. However, only serving military personnel sponsored by any of the Services of the

Nigerian Armed Forces to civil institutions shall be considered.

ENTRY REQUIREMENT
2. All applicants must satisfy the following conditions:

a. Be a Nigerian as defined in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

b. Be a male or female between the ages of 24 and 29 years by October 2016.

c. Be medically, mentally and physically fit according to NA Standards.

d. Be recommended by at least 2 recognizable referees who must attest to the applicant's character and integrity. Serving military personnel must be recommended by their commanding officers. Civilians could be recommended by a Local Government Chairman/Secretary or an officer of the Armed Forces not below the rank of a Lieutenant Colonel and equivalent or an Assistant Commissioner of Police and above who must hail from the state of the applicant. Passport photographs of referees must be affixed to the letter of attestation.

e. Candidates must submit a letter of Attestation from their former institutions.

f. Measure at least 1.68m (for male) and 1.65m (for female) in height.

g. Must not have been convicted by any court of law. Military personnel must be free from any

disciplinary case (This is to be endorsed by the Commanding Officer/Commander).

h. Possess at least a first degree of not less than Second Class Lower Division or HND of not less

than Lower Credit in the arts, sciences or humanities from any recognized institution of learning.

i. Possess valid birth certificate endorsed by the National Population Commission, Hospital or Local

Government Council or valid age declaration.

j. Possess a valid certificate of state of origin.

k. Applicants (less serving members of the Armed Forces) must possess NYSC discharge certificate or

a valid exemption as the case may be.

l. Only academic credentials obtained from 2011 to date will be considered.

m. Candidates must present contact addresses and telephone numbers of parent/guardians and Next of Kin

n. Candidates must not have any body inscriptions or tattoos

o. Candidates must tender all original copies of educational certificates (primary to post secondary).

p. Service personnel must present valid military identity cards and letters of recommendations by their Commanding Officers/Commanders. They must also present valid letter(s) of NA sponsorship in tertiary academic institutions. Additionally, they must have served for a period of not less than 5 years in the unit.

q. Candidates must not be members of any cult/society/fraternity

CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
3. SSC will be granted for 10 years. Six years will be on active list renewable thereafter for a period up to 3 years. No extension is allowed after the ninth year of commission except on conversion to Regular Combatant where applicable.

a. Officer cadets who successfully complete the military training shall be granted the rank of

Second Lieutenant.

b. Conversion to regular commission is not automatic. It is based on availability of vacancy

and other criteria that are or will be in force from time to time.

c. All graduating officer cadets must sign an acceptance on the terms and conditions governing

the Short Service Combatant Commission before they are granted commission into the Nigerian Army.

d. The reckonable period of service will be based on the date of commencement of cadet training

of both civilian and military personnel entrants.

METHOD OF APPLICATION

4. The following will apply:

a. Applications are to be made online.

b. To apply:
(1) Log on to www.nigerianarmyms.ng to create an account.
(2) Read the Qualification Criteria.
(3) From the Home Page, Select SSC application.
(4) On successful registration, you will receive an email notification containing your login details.
(5) Click on 'Login' to complete the application form.
(6) Ensure all required documents are uploaded:
-passport photograph.
-educational certificates.
-evidence of membership of any professional body.
-certificate of state of origin.
-birth certificate or age declaration

c. Print Out. Applicants must print out their online generated photo-slip on completion of their

application. The first page is to be signed by a Court of Law and the second page is to be signed by

the Local Government Chairman/Secretary or any military officer of the rank of Lieutenant Colonel or

equivalent and above who hails from your state. Successful applicants are required to present their

printed photo-slip to the selection board during interview

CLOSING DATE
5. All applications must be submitted not later than 13th June 2016.

FURTHER INFORMATION
6. For further information, you may call 07046349788 and 09099170154, or visit www.army.mil.ng

For technical support and complaints, call the following support lines 07018447913 or email support@nigerianarmyms.org

Army Headquarters
Department of Military Secretary
Mambilla Barracks
Asokoro Abuja

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by claremont(m): 8:39am On May 31, 2016
Xbabangida:

I and a few others who have responded on this thread have done our time in the military, do not spew thrash to us please.

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by rigarmortis: 8:43am On May 31, 2016
Xbabangida:

stop embarrassing yourself, acknowledge your mistake.

a 2nd LT is a commissioned officer anywhere in the world as the definition of commissioned starts from that rank in mars and on pluto, same as here on earth.

my family members went in through ssc and some from RRC, but they are all commissioned. DSSC starts from full Lt

to buttress the point my bro was commissioned same day together with other RRC of diffrent set but with same batch, they were all given OFFICERS TRAINING COURSES AND EXAMS.

they use the same officers mess both 2ND LT from ssc, LT FROM DSSC and 2ND lt from RRC.

THE ABOVE WILL HAVE BEING A TRAVESTY (the same commissioning on a batch, same training and mess) if ssc 2ND lt is non com officer, cos there is a non fraternization rule in the military.

korofos dont mix with the commissioned officers.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Deepfreezer(m): 8:45am On May 31, 2016
Xbabangida:

I tire for their matter o. They are now making me feel as if I don't know what I'm saying.
lol none of em is a part of the process, so they don't know.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Taiwopeters(m): 8:46am On May 31, 2016
Bro kindly help me out too ooo.... As a first class graduate about finishing service ehn, lecturing will be too boring for me.... All my life is i wanna join the Army and fight for my country. Would love it if u can gimme this slot or help out too. Thanks. Holla me at reverendkool266@gmail.Com

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by slimfit1(m): 8:50am On May 31, 2016
Silvofitz:
You just reminded us that national institutions in Nigeria don't recruit by MERIT again. They do so by SLOTs.
What hope is for gifted souls out there who don't have politicians with slots?
Smh.
No wonder we have incapable hands everywhere.

Thanks man I thought something was wrong about this comment it a shame that I have to go further down before I read something that has common sense in it. The rest maybe didn't understand the what he said or are just blatantly ignorant you see even with education common sense is getting extinct in this country.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Fabrice07: 9:01am On May 31, 2016
embarassed
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Good morning guys, I am a graduate from the Premier University and recently passed out from NYSC programme. I have always been into business right from my university days because I crave independence.

While serving, I was also into business. Before passing out, I launched my startup and currently have 2 employees. Although, I studied mechanical engineering, I have no plans to work in the industry, except as a business person utilizing my skills.

Now for the purpose of this post. I have an uncle who has contacted me twice to join the armed forces - police and recently army. He is a politician and has a slot and wants someone from our family to fill the position. I outrightly turned down the police offer but recently army came in and I am having second thoughts.

As a child I wanted to be a soldier but I was an only son. Hell no, there's no way my parents would have allowed me go to NDA. I am 23, ambitious, and still crave independence and financial buoyancy.

I want to find out what the benefits of joining the army are. Specifically as a second lieutenant. Would I be commanding troops? Can I combine it with my business? The latter is my major concern, I don't have plans of touching the salary I get from NA.

Basically, what is my job description, the demands of the job, and the time I get for myself. Thanks in anticipation.
Bros in case you dont want o. I need police slot. Help someone in need cry
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

Bros in case you dont want o. I need police slot. Help someone in need
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by ahmedolawale: 9:13am On May 31, 2016
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

Biko, pardon my ignorance. I have absolutely no idea. I have done a bit of reading and I saw somewhere command troops/platoon of 16-20 or so. Aunty shine your light upon me, biko.
don't mind that post a 2nd Lt is also a commander but a platoon commander

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 9:37am On May 31, 2016
carmag:

.. chaii, @ op you said you're the only son

Thanks but I said I WAS. I have a younger brother now. He came in quite late. Plus we don't really do lands in my place.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Ndeewonu: 9:47am On May 31, 2016
Their job description?

Killing of innocent, unarmed civilians, and covering up of evil plans by blood-thirty leaders
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by oglalasioux(m): 9:55am On May 31, 2016
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Nobody has answered my question o. What benefits will I enjoy as a 2nd lieutenant? Or more precisely, what are the duties of a second lieutenant? Is it possible to combine it with business?

As you didn't attend NDA your job description is basically staff duty. Though you'll be given training in warfare you might never command troops in your entire career till you are decommissioned at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel (if you are lucky. Most are decommissioned at the rank of Major).

Your only presence in the war front is staff duty. The armed forces seek for short service personnel so career soldiers can have time for full training in case of warfare.

Yes you'll have time to take care of personal businesses. There's no other organisation that observes shifts and leaves like the armed forces.

2 Likes

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by sirsharks(m): 9:59am On May 31, 2016
It's cool being an army officer but u can't combine it with business cos it demands a lot of your time; except if u can have someone manage d business 4u
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by achorladey: 10:00am On May 31, 2016
please what is the job role of an assistant superintendent of customs cadet II.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by susolzik(m): 10:03am On May 31, 2016
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

Is this professor X?
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 10:12am On May 31, 2016
susolzik:

Is this professor X?
Do I sound like X? X is my good friend and colleague.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Please Avoid This Thing If You Want To Succeed In Life / Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria / Benue-born Female Fire Fighter Breaks The Internet With Her Beauty (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.