Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits (66227 Views)

Why You Need To Find A 2nd Source Of Income After Your Salary / Pic. Meet The First Nigerian Woman To Serve As A Lieutenant In The Israeli Army. / See How This Hausa Lady Who Is A 2nd Class Bsc Holder Makes Her Money In Abuja(p (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Olypeppy(f): 10:13am On May 31, 2016
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Nobody has answered my question o. What benefits will I enjoy as a 2nd lieutenant? Or more precisely, what are the duties of a second lieutenant? Is it possible to combine it with business?
I don't really know much buh I'm currently a serving corps member in 1 BRIGADE NIGERIAN ARMY BARRACKS SOKOTO STATE...It all depends on what you studied..I guess as an Engineer you will be posted to Workshop...that's for Engineers.Their work is to make sure that Army trucks,all electrical works etc are in good shape...Your work is to supervise and you can also be a duty officer for the day...
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Isomerizm(m): 10:34am On May 31, 2016
Isomerizm:
If someone joins the Nigerian Navy with a BSc through short service course, what rank would he/she be?. I need reply ASAP.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by NICENEDU29: 10:35am On May 31, 2016
rajiabiodun03:

Commissioned officers starts from 2nd lieutenant for Nigerian Army.
So don't say what you don't know or not sure of.
#PEACE
Thank you my brother. I have wanted to give the same reply

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by durella32: 10:37am On May 31, 2016
Since u are joining with a degree I tink u are going for DSSC after the training u wil be a commissioned lieutenant(2 star)...u are very likely nt go beyond the rank of lt.col.....except u convert to a direct regular...dn with age by ur side u can attain the rank of major gen....u are u are very likely nt to go to war atall....
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by fratermathy(m): 10:37am On May 31, 2016
Olypeppy:
I don't really know much buh I'm currently a serving corpse member in 1 BRIGADE NIGERIAN ARMY BARRACKS SOKOTO STATE...It all depends on what you studied..I guess as an Engineer you will be posted to Workshop...that's for Engineers.Their work is to make sure that Army trucks,all electrical works etc are in good shape...Your work is to supervise and you can also be a duty officer for the day...

Please edit that "corpse" to Corps abeg!

4 Likes

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Isomerizm(m): 10:39am On May 31, 2016
Christane:
As a DSSC officer u stop at navy captain which is colonel equivalent nigerian army or if u are too connected and ur godfathers z an influential officer u can become a commodore wch z brigadier general(army)
What does it mean to be commissioned? And can a naval officer through DSSC command? What is the difference between direct short service commission and direct short service course?
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by rhames(m): 10:44am On May 31, 2016
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Good morning guys, I am a graduate from the Premier University and recently passed out from NYSC programme. I have always been into business right from my university days because I crave independence.

While serving, I was also into business. Before passing out, I launched my startup and currently have 2 employees. Although, I studied mechanical engineering, I have no plans to work in the industry, except as a business person utilizing my skills.

Now for the purpose of this post. I have an uncle who has contacted me twice to join the armed forces - police and recently army. He is a politician and has a slot and wants someone from our family to fill the position. I outrightly turned down the police offer but recently army came in and I am having second thoughts.

As a child I wanted to be a soldier but I was an only son. Hell no, there's no way my parents would have allowed me go to NDA. I am 23, ambitious, and still crave independence and financial buoyancy.

I want to find out what the benefits of joining the army are. Specifically as a second lieutenant. Would I be commanding troops? Can I combine it with my business? The latter is my major concern, I don't have plans of touching the salary I get from NA.

Basically, what is my job description, the demands of the job, and the time I get for myself. Thanks in anticipation.

If you are already successful in business, why do you care about going to the army because your uncle wants someone to fill the slot? Consolidate on your business and one day you will become the next Dangote. Nigeria needs employers of labour not government employees.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Ademusiwa1: 10:46am On May 31, 2016
One strong
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Nobody: 10:46am On May 31, 2016
The Nigerian Army isn't as easy as you think my dear, if you don't have anyone to help you then you should think of other businesses you can venture into ,there is going to be many applicant from your state and only 12 or 10 will scale thru the 1st stage, for the 2nd stage, only 6 will scale thru and this is the normal process for each state.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by durella32: 10:48am On May 31, 2016
For me I want join the army I love doing what I bliv in...a man has to live for something...am ready to giv my life for my country if need be....after all men mst die..infantry core of the Nigerian army..a stubborn officer is on his way...
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Belkid01(m): 10:52am On May 31, 2016
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Nobody has answered my question o. What benefits will I enjoy as a 2nd lieutenant? Or more precisely, what are the duties of a second lieutenant? Is it possible to combine it with business?
you must be aware that you only serve 4 six month as a 2nd Lt. With a salary of about #120000 after which you will be promoted to a lieutenant with salary ranging from #175000 to #185000 (NOTE: excluding allowance).... After that you don't get regular promotions as other regular commissioned officers that finished from NDA (Nigerian Defence Academy) and you can't go beyond the rank of a Major, at best Lt.Colonel .... As contained in the army act.

As a Nigerian Soldier you allowed to only have an agricultural venture.... Hope these helps
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Nobody: 11:04am On May 31, 2016
Dhilariousdandy:

please, is that really possible for a non indigene to join the French army without civilisation ??

Cc: hustla

To join the French Army, you need to be a French citizen.

But France has a unit for foreigners called the French Foreign Legion. Here, anybody can join even if you are from Nigeria, Canada, USA or England. You are to serve for 5years. After 3years, you will be eligible for French citizenship.

But the downside is that you have to be in France. If you get can get a visit, study or tourist visa or to any of the Schengen countries, just enter france and go empty to any of the recruiting centres, Viola. That's all. They won't pay for your visa nor provide any visa assistance and they also don't care if you are an illegal immigrant or not.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Nobody: 11:12am On May 31, 2016
oglalasioux:

As you didn't attend NDA your job description is basically staff duty. Though you'll be given training in warfare you might never command troops in your entire career till you are decommissioned at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel (if you are lucky. Most are decommissioned at the rank of Major).

Your only presence in the war front is staff duty. The armed forces seek for short service personnel so career soldiers can have time for full training in case of warfare.

Yes you'll have time to take care of personal businesses. There's no other organisation that observes shifts and leaves like the armed forces.

Oga biko I dont understand that concept of "decommissioned" can u explain please
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by predatorX: 11:26am On May 31, 2016
histemple:

Hmmmm! Another new story.

So, some "serving" Army Officers live outside the Nigerian Army Barracks? Please educate us more.

So you didn't know? Come to V/I and Lekki
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by NICENEDU29: 11:26am On May 31, 2016
Xbabangida:

Its a lieutenant that's a commissioned officer not a second lieutenant. You people r just arguing blindly.
Let me give u an assignment. Google it now to see the corresponding ranks that mark the beginning of commissioned offiers in the military. I believe that will help to correct the wrong impression u have about it.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by hustla(m): 11:39am On May 31, 2016
Harbioollah:

Cc: hustla

To join the French Army, you need to be a French citizen.

But France has a unit for foreigners called the French Foreign Legion. Here, anybody can join even if you are from Nigeria, Canada, USA or England. You are to serve for 5years. After 3years, you will be eligible for French citizenship.

But the downside is that you have to be in France. If you get can get a visit, study or tourist visa or to any of the Schengen countries, just enter france and go empty to any of the recruiting centres, Viola. That's all. They won't pay for your visa nor provide any visa assistance and they also don't care if you are an illegal immigrant or not.

I'll be sure to look into that

How about if you can barely speak French? I understand a bit as I went to French school but not quite good at speaking it fluently

While serving, can you hold other jobs? Like the reserves in the US Army sometimes do

Thank You for the insight
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by hustla(m): 11:41am On May 31, 2016
skypeme:
The Nigerian Army isn't as easy as you think my dear, if you don't have anyone to help you then you should think of other businesses you can venture into ,there is going to be many applicant from your state and only 12 or 10 will scale thru the 1st stage, for the 2nd stage, only 6 will scale thru and this is the normal process for each state.

While they're encouraging people to join the Army in other countries, the reverse is the case with this hell hole of a country..

Not even based on merit, na man know man basis.

Big shame!
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Nobody: 12:03pm On May 31, 2016
hustla:

I'll be sure to look into that

How about if you can barely speak French? I understand a bit as I went to French school but not quite good at speaking it fluently

While serving, can you hold other jobs? Like the reserves in the US Army sometimes do

Thank You for the insight

French is not a prerequisite but may come handy for you. There will be French classes though.

About the job, don't even think about it. You will be receiving allowances.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Olypeppy(f): 12:06pm On May 31, 2016
fratermathy:

Please edit that "corpse" to Corps abeg!
Thank You.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by aforosco(m): 12:18pm On May 31, 2016
anyone who says short service officers promotion is slow must be a liar, promotions in the military is same 4years, Infact we have produced coas, cas and cds that were short service officers lik Gen ishaya bamaiyi, Air Chief Marshall Paul Dike, Air Marshall MD. umar..Infact the current chief of air staff is a short service officer (air Marshall sadiq baba abubakar) (mujiheed father) but follow your passion not money, you may be lucky to get 20x ur salary in a month you may also be unlucky to get only ur salary

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by frank043(m): 12:23pm On May 31, 2016
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Good morning guys, I am a graduate from the Premier University and recently passed out from NYSC programme. I have always been into business right from my university days because I crave independence.

While serving, I was also into business. Before passing out, I launched my startup and currently have 2 employees. Although, I studied mechanical engineering, I have no plans to work in the industry, except as a business person utilizing my skills.

Now for the purpose of this post. I have an uncle who has contacted me twice to join the armed forces - police and recently army. He is a politician and has a slot and wants someone from our family to fill the position. I outrightly turned down the police offer but recently army came in and I am having second thoughts.

As a child I wanted to be a soldier but I was an only son. Hell no, there's no way my parents would have allowed me go to NDA. I am 23, ambitious, and still crave independence and financial buoyancy.

I want to find out what the benefits of joining the army are. Specifically as a second lieutenant. Would I be commanding troops? Can I combine it with my business? The latter is my major concern, I don't have plans of touching the salary I get from NA.

Basically, what is my job description, the demands of the job, and the time I get for myself. Thanks in anticipation.

First and foremost, as a graduate, you will be granted the rank of Lieutenant, and not Second Lieutenant, ie if you go for the DSSC, otherwise, you will be a second lieutenant commissioned in the combat cadre. You can do whatever business, so longer as it's a legal business and it ain't interfering with your army job. Let's assume you are commissioned as a DSSC officer, in this case a Lieutenant, you will be a troop commander, and as professional, you will have basic job description of Mechanical Engineers. Civil, Mechanical, Electrical Engineers, Doctors, Lawyers Accountants etc commissioned as professionals will practice as professionals, otherwise, they will be pure combatant officers commissioned into the SSC cadre. Feel free if you need any other clarifications... I have similar aspirations, I'm a Civil Engineer.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by veraiyke(m): 12:27pm On May 31, 2016
In case you don't want it tell your uncle to lend help to another. I'm interested
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by frank043(m): 12:28pm On May 31, 2016
Why do you say what you ain't sure of? I beg to disagree with you ma'am... Your info is false!!!
Xbabangida:
Commanding troops as a 2nd lieutenant? I laugh in Spanish. grin. The war front somewhere in Adamawa or borno is where your bubble will burst as you are a noncommissioned officer. Only the commissioned officer (From Major , colonel , brigadier general, major general, General) command troops and sit inside AC dashing out orders . Your job as a lieutenant is to assisist a captain of a troop in organization and tactical approach during warfare.
Modified: A second lieutenant is a commissioned officer. Only if you attained that from passing through the NDA
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by godwinkessi: 12:33pm On May 31, 2016
HAH:
My advice to you is don't join army as a short service officer, you will be looked down upon by regular officers, your juniors by 10 years will eventually be your senior because DSS officers promotion is slow and God help you if you pass the rank of Major .

Swallow your pride and join the police as an ASP cadet , you can be IG without any limitation and your promotion will be very regular, No one in your office will look down on you because all officer came through same process

Sorry bro are u saying it's only those that passed through NDA can reach the rank of Lieutenant General? No hope for those from the university ?
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by hustla(m): 12:33pm On May 31, 2016
Harbioollah:

French is not a prerequisite but may come handy for you. There will be French classes though.

About the job, don't even think about it. You will be receiving allowances.

But after the 5 years, I'm free to move on and do whatever I like? How about coming back to naija for hols? Bringing family over?

Are you in the French Army or know someone who enlisted?

Kindly share
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by eddyroyal(m): 12:38pm On May 31, 2016
MemeTroll:
a lot of officers live out of the barracks.. barracks accommodation is free for officers but if you wish to stay outside you bear the full cost
Not totally free
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by frank043(m): 12:43pm On May 31, 2016
I have one word to say... LIES!!!
cmax16:

Commissioned officer are those that graduated from the Nigerian defence academy, they can rise to become full fledged generals depending on further studies and off course who you know or as it were before now, who's/which successful coup you helped installed.

Non commissioned officers gets into the army through the Nigerian Army graduate (DSSC) employment. Someone who gets in via this route will definitely not rise in the army as fast as someone who went through the full complimentary course at NDA. If you attain the rank of Colonel through this route, count your stars lucky.

I believe this is what the lady was trying to say when she referenced commissioned and non commissioned officer.

@OP, it will be practicably impossible to run a business you will oversee directly and still work in the army...unless of course you have develop and put in place mechanism to make the business run without you being physically possible, a thing I suppose most businesses in Nigeria aren't equipped for.

Not long on nairaland there was a thread that explains the real difference between an entrepreneur and self-employed.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by frank043(m): 12:45pm On May 31, 2016
Send me a PM, and I will educate you properly. There's absolutely no shame in learning, I make sure I learn every blessed day.
Xbabangida:

Its a lieutenant that's a commissioned officer not a second lieutenant. You people r just arguing blindly.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by itzsniper(m): 12:49pm On May 31, 2016
DBlackCeazer:
Your uncle has a slot? Who exactly is he to decide who joins the Nigerian Army?
u dey mind dz lying Mohammed?a times its only 2 to 3 in a state
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by frank043(m): 12:54pm On May 31, 2016
Sir, if you are really a 2LT you should know that it's pilot officer and NOT flying officer. Flying officer is equivalent to lieutenant (army) and sub-lieutenant (navy). No offence...
MrMystique:

Non-Commissioned Officers are the recruits, Commissioned Officer are from 2nd Lieutenant {ARMY}, Midshipman{NAVY}, Flying Officer{AIRFORCE} and above whether DSSC OR RCC
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by felixiodegus: 1:03pm On May 31, 2016
My brother not all childhood excitements are really an indication of what we were destined to be. You crave independence, you have prepared yourself and even cut your teeth in your line of business. And I think you are already making some success in that line. Don't jump into a profession you know nothing of such as the military. You will destroy your destiny. Don't let someone push you to occupy a slot you were not destined to occupy. People who thrive in the military are those who were well prepared before they enlisted. Above all pray to God and seek his counsel if you believe in him and listen to your spirit.
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 1:11pm On May 31, 2016
felixiodegus:
My brother not all childhood excitements are really an indication of what we were destined to be. You crave independence, you have prepared yourself and even cut your teeth in your line of business. And I think you are already making some success in that line. Don't jump into a profession you know nothing of such as the military. You will destroy your destiny. Don't let someone push you to occupy a slot you were not destined to occupy. People who thrive in the military are those who were well prepared before they enlisted. Above all pray to God and seek his counsel if you believe in him and listen to your spirit.

God bless you my oga. My enquiry was the possibility of combining both because of the added respect of being military or ex military. And to dey flog police for road. Lol.

Anyways, I made up my mind to do business and I won't exchange it for anything else. Already turned down the offer. God bless you real good.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Please Avoid This Thing If You Want To Succeed In Life / Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria / Benue-born Female Fire Fighter Breaks The Internet With Her Beauty (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.