Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits (66351 Views)

Why You Need To Find A 2nd Source Of Income After Your Salary / Pic. Meet The First Nigerian Woman To Serve As A Lieutenant In The Israeli Army. / See How This Hausa Lady Who Is A 2nd Class Bsc Holder Makes Her Money In Abuja(p (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Berylpharm(m): 1:15pm On May 31, 2016
phoenix23401:
the basic salary for the nigerian army as a se ond lieutennat is around 180, 000, as a junior military first its important to bear in mimd that ur job description isnt fixed, u cld be at d war fromt, u cld be t an administrative office , there are even chances that u may never experienve real battle in a war front, if u are lucky, again it depends on ur field of study too, more often than not educationits end up in command schools teaching or rising to become commandants or the likes, medical hands end up in probably military reference hospitals or helpin in the battle field wv medications nd all, engineers same...the army even take pastors a d imams to serve as clergy too amng them. so just keep ur mind open, as for bizness i have seen a whole lot of military offices engave in several biznesses but more often than not they are run remotely, the military comes with a lot of perks, dignity, respect and u get to be a blessing to everyone that knws u in some way at some point helpin them out of troubles and all especially in nigeria here where the military officers are more or less demi-gods. Jts a worth while career nd u should follow, ild do the same if i were u.
@INDESTRUCTABLEX follow dis guy,that's just d fact

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by adekanbai: 1:18pm On May 31, 2016
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Good morning guys, I am a graduate from the Premier University and recently passed out from NYSC programme. I have always been into business right from my university days because I crave independence.

While serving, I was also into business. Before passing out, I launched my startup and currently have 2 employees. Although, I studied mechanical engineering, I have no plans to work in the industry, except as a business person utilizing my skills.

Now for the purpose of this post. I have an uncle who has contacted me twice to join the armed forces - police and recently army. He is a politician and has a slot and wants someone from our family to fill the position. I outrightly turned down the police offer but recently army came in and I am having second thoughts.

As a child I wanted to be a soldier but I was an only son. Hell no, there's no way my parents would have allowed me go to NDA. I am 23, ambitious, and still crave independence and financial buoyancy.

I want to find out what the benefits of joining the army are. Specifically as a second lieutenant. Would I be commanding troops? Can I combine it with my business? The latter is my major concern, I don't have plans of touching the salary I get from NA.

Basically, what is my job description, the demands of the job, and the time I get for myself. Thanks in anticipation.

That's a good opportunity bro. "Something must kill a man" though I would advice you apply for DSSC not SSC. You could grow in rank easily without much stress and hasle. SSC commissioned officer don't enjoy the job much except they get converted to regular officers. All the best bro.

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by eddyroyal(m): 1:18pm On May 31, 2016
aforosco:
anyone who says short service officers promotion is slow must be a liar, promotions in the military is same 4years, Infact we have produced coas, cas and cds that were short service officers lik Gen ishaya bamaiyi, Air Chief Marshall Paul Dike, Air Marshall MD. umar..Infact the current chief of air staff is a short service officer (air Marshall sadiq baba abubakar) (mujiheed father) but follow your passion not money, you may be lucky to get 20x ur salary in a month you may also be unlucky to get only ur salary
Bro thanks so much for the info. Before now i did not know that Air Marshall Sadiq Abubakar is not a product of NDA. Thanks once again for the clarification. It has really motivated me.

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by adekanbai: 1:35pm On May 31, 2016
eddyroyal:
Bro thanks so much for the info. Before now i did not know that Air Marshall Sadiq Abubakar is not a product of NDA. Thanks once again for the clarification. It has really motivated me.
Take your decision wisely.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Dhilariousdandy(m): 2:02pm On May 31, 2016
Harbioollah:

Cc: hustla

To join the French Army, you need to be a French citizen.

But France has a unit for foreigners called the French Foreign Legion. Here, anybody can join even if you are from Nigeria, Canada, USA or England. You are to serve for 5years. After 3years, you will be eligible for French citizenship.

But the downside is that you have to be in France. If you get can get a visit, study or tourist visa or to any of the Schengen countries, just enter france and go empty to any of the recruiting centres, Viola. That's all. They won't pay for your visa nor provide any visa assistance and they also don't care if you are an illegal immigrant or not.

Please bro, I will need your assistant, can we chat on whatsapp??

Thanks in anticipation..
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by HAH: 2:16pm On May 31, 2016
godwinkessi:

Sorry bro are u saying it's only those that passed through NDA can reach the rank of Lieutenant General? No hope for those from the university ?

Yes, 90% of those who become General are those who went through NDA regular course( those that spent 5. Or 4 years in NDA) not short service though there are exceptional cases like medical doctors who cannot head any regiment unit but military hospitals
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 31, 2016
hustla:

But after the 5 years, I'm free to move on and do whatever I like? How about coming back to naija for hols? Bringing family over?

Are you in the French Army or know someone who enlisted?

Kindly share

Yes. After the 5years, you are free to do whatever you like. You will be officially disengaged from service and qualified as a French citizen. Then whatever benefits accrues to a French citizen accrues to you too (Voting, etc). You can choose to join the French military but it's left to you.

There are holidays inbetween but I cannot say how long. About family, forget it. You will be enlisted as single and with no child (even if you have 3wives and 12 children). You can only bring them when you are done with your 5years and attained your citizenship status. They can apply for a short term visa to come visit you though.

I am not in the French Army neither am I in France. But I am moving to France soon for my MSc.

cc: Dhilariousdandy
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by frank043(m): 3:13pm On May 31, 2016
Mind a PM?
Harbioollah:

Yes. After the 5years, you are free to do whatever you like. You will be officially disengaged from service and qualified as a French citizen. Then whatever benefits accrues to a French citizen accrues to you too (Voting, etc). You can choose to join the French military but it's left to you.

There are holidays inbetween but I cannot say how long. About family, forget it. You will be enlisted as single and with no child (even if you have 3wives and 12 children). You can only bring them when you are done with your 5years and attained your citizenship status. They can apply for a short term visa to come visit you though.

I am not in the French Army neither am I in France. But I am moving to France soon for my MSc.

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 31, 2016
frank043:
Mind a PM?
No problem
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by hustla(m): 4:23pm On May 31, 2016
Harbioollah:

Okay bro. I assume you'd be toeing that part. Maybe if you do, you could create a thread in the travel section about it or something

BTW the msc in France will be taught in English or French? Or you'd have to attend language school like in Germany and Co

Thanks for the information
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 31, 2016
hustla:

Okay bro. I assume you'd be toeing that part. Maybe if you do, you could create a thread in the travel section about it or something

BTW the msc in France will be taught in English or French? Or you'd have to attend language school like in Germany and Co

Thanks for the information

I'm not planning to toe the part. Though it's one of my options if things doesn't go well as planned in France. Unfortunately, I cannot create a thread. I've been banned for two years from the travel section for giving out my phone number in French to someone I was trying to help. A ridiculous decision.
cc: justwise

The MSc is in English though I understand French a bit. The language schools are for those who want to study in German or French. Germany has lots of English Taught Masters.
Check here: https://www.nairaland.com/3052025/general-german-visa-enquiries-part

For those who are buzzing me up for the Foreign Legion. Read up. It's easy to join only if you are in France and meet the requirements. There are no other shortcuts. You must be in France under any type of visa. No online registration.

http://foreignlegion.info/joining/
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by hustla(m): 5:20pm On May 31, 2016
Harbioollah:

I'm not planning to toe the part. Though it's one of my options if things doesn't go well as planned in France. Unfortunately, I cannot create a thread. I've been banned for two years from the travel section for giving out my phone number in French to someone I was trying to help. A ridiculous decision.
cc: justwise

The MSc is in English though I understand French a bit. The language schools are for those who want to study in German or French. Germany has lots of English Taught Masters.
Check here: https://www.nairaland.com/3052025/general-german-visa-enquiries-part

For those who are buzzing me up for the Foreign Legion. Read up. It's easy to join only if you are in France and meet the requirements. There are no other shortcuts. You must be in France under any type of visa. No online registration.

http://foreignlegion.info/joining/

Be like say this justwise na Badoo o and e dey quick vex. Like say I see am for Australia thread. Make e no vex na

Lol I'll check the legion stuff out later In the night, we never get light for 3 days grin

Thsnks a lot
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by godwinkessi: 5:26pm On May 31, 2016
HAH:

Yes, 90% of those who become General are those who went through NDA regular course( those that spent 5. Or 4 years in NDA) not short service though there are exceptional cases like medical doctors who cannot head any regiment unit but military hospitals

I know a man who studied Marine Engineering and is now a Major General. He stays in kaduna, he didn't go through NDA but university. How possible
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by dantori(m): 5:58pm On May 31, 2016
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Good morning guys, I am a graduate from the Premier University and recently passed out from NYSC programme. I have always been into business right from my university days because I crave independence.

While serving, I was also into business. Before passing out, I launched my startup and currently have 2 employees. Although, I studied mechanical engineering, I have no plans to work in the industry, except as a business person utilizing my skills.

Now for the purpose of this post. I have an uncle who has contacted me twice to join the armed forces - police and recently army. He is a politician and has a slot and wants someone from our family to fill the position. I outrightly turned down the police offer but recently army came in and I am having second thoughts.

As a child I wanted to be a soldier but I was an only son. Hell no, there's no way my parents would have allowed me go to NDA. I am 23, ambitious, and still crave independence and financial buoyancy.

I want to find out what the benefits of joining the army are. Specifically as a second lieutenant. Would I be commanding troops? Can I combine it with my business? The latter is my major concern, I don't have plans of touching the salary I get from NA.

Basically, what is my job description, the demands of the job, and the time I get for myself. Thanks in anticipation.

bro àbeg am passionate about police job ASP cadre I've applied if any connect dey a beg
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by MrMystique(m): 7:32pm On May 31, 2016
frank043:
Sir, if you are really a 2LT you should know that it's pilot officer and NOT flying officer. Flying officer is equivalent to lieutenant (army) and sub-lieutenant (navy). No offence...
Flying Officer, Flight Officer, Flight Lieutenant and so on
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 8:24pm On May 31, 2016
MrMystique:

Since you are already in system. E be like say na you I go dey call to come help me flog police for road, them too dey harass me.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by MrMystique(m): 8:35pm On May 31, 2016
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

Since you are already in system. E be like say na you I go dey call to come help me flog police for road, them too dey harass me.
I don't do that, report them to their cru, I totally follow my rules of engagement.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by MrMystique(m): 8:37pm On May 31, 2016
godwinkessi:

I know a man who studied Marine Engineering and is now a Major General. He stays in kaduna, he didn't go through NDA but university. How possible
He coverted from a non combatant to a combatant, only combatant rise to generalship, but conversion has been suspended.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by frank043(m): 9:07pm On May 31, 2016
MrMystique:

No sir, it's in this ascending order... Pilot officer, Flying Officer, flight lieutenant, Squadron Leader, Wing Commander, Group Captain, Air Commodore, Air Vice Marshal, Air Marshal, Air Chief Marshal and Marshal of the Nigerian Airforce. There is no SSC commission in the Airforce, just DSSC, which starts with Flying Officer.

If truly you are a 2LT, you MUST be SSC commissioned. An RC can not commit the kinda blunder you are committing.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by MrMystique(m): 9:11pm On May 31, 2016
frank043:

No sir, it's in this ascending order... Pilot officer, Flying Officer, flight lieutenant, Squadron Leader, Wing Commander, Group Captain, Air Commodore, Air Vice Marshal, Air Marshal, Air Chief Marshal and Marshal of the Nigerian Airforce. There is no SSC commission in the Airforce, just DSSC, which starts with Flying Officer.

If truly you are a 2LT, you MUST be SSC commissioned. An RC can not commit the kinda blunder you are committing.
I am a 62RC cadet. You are making a mistake.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by frank043(m): 9:16pm On May 31, 2016
MrMystique:

I am a 62RC cadet. You are making a mistake.

Please, with due respect, sir, kindly point out my mistake in the airforce rank structure I just posted. I will be glad to learn.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by MrMystique(m): 9:18pm On May 31, 2016
frank043:

Thanks for the Correction Sir, I was thinking towards the US AIR FORCE, I'm currently doing a Ranger Course there.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by MrMystique(m): 9:22pm On May 31, 2016
frank043:

Please, with due respect, sir, kindly point out my mistake in the airforce rank structure I just posted. I will be glad to learn.
With all due respect, I apologise, The stress since yesterday is taking it toll on me, Haven't slept for 72hours.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by frank043(m): 9:24pm On May 31, 2016
MrMystique:

Thanks for the Correction Sir, I was thinking towards the US AIR FORCE, I'm currently doing a Ranger Course there.

Are you a 62RC commissioned officer in the Nigerian army? Which corps were you commissioned into?
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by frank043(m): 9:31pm On May 31, 2016
MrMystique:

With all due respect, I apologise, The stress since yesterday is taking it toll on me, Haven't slept for 72hours.

Oh... Sorry. I know how it goes. When you are able to get enough sleep, we will continue privately, if you don't mind. Take care.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by frank043(m): 9:46pm On May 31, 2016
MrMystique:

Are you SURE? Cos I know the US army, airforce, and marine have similar rank structure and insignia.

1 Like

Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by oglalasioux(m): 10:57pm On May 31, 2016
tobimillar:

Oga biko I dont understand that concept of "decommissioned" can u explain please

It's the opposite of commission. In the armed forces only commissioned personnel are officers. You cease to be one when you are decommissioned.

It's different from retirement. In retirement a commissioned officer enjoys a lot of benefits including retaining all his military kits and permission to wear last rank with the ceremonial dress. But not the same with a decommissioned officer which is usually short service personnel.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 4:25am On Jun 01, 2016
MrMystique:

I don't do that, report them to their cru, I totally follow my rules of engagement.

Interesting. I meant that as a joke though.
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by godwinkessi: 9:53am On Jun 01, 2016
MrMystique:

He coverted from a non combatant to a combatant, only combatant rise to generalship, but conversion has been suspended.

I'm sorry for being so inquisitive. Pls does it mean nobody from university can be combatant? Even during the registration?
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by syntekelite(m): 11:11am On Jun 02, 2016
Phi001:
That's for rank and file....
and what do you mean by rank and file in military,this aint nigerian police...
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by Phi001(m): 11:36am On Jun 02, 2016
syntekelite:

and what do you mean by rank and file in military,this aint nigerian police...
You think it's only police that have rank and file? In the military, if you're not an army officer, you're rank and file...
Re: To Become A 2nd Lieutenant In Nigerian Army. Benefits by syntekelite(m): 11:40am On Jun 02, 2016
Phi001:

You think it's only police that have rank and file? In the military, if you're not an army officer, you're rank and file...
did u actually read the op's post and my reply,is a 2nd lieutenant rank and file?i have many friends in check points in kaduna and borno,some in niger delta,so i dont understand ur reply of its only rank and file,during insurgency any military officer can be posted anywhere dependin on skill sets,by the way my friends are 2nd lieutenants and captains...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

AY Shiga: Incredible Transformation Of A Police Officer (Photos) / South African Lady Exposes White Boss Sexually Harassing Her At Work / When Your NYSC Alawee Is More Than Your Salary (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.