Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,201 members, 7,815,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

The Best Business Schools In The World - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Best Business Schools In The World (23867 Views)

Mba Essays For Tuck, Chicago Booth, Stern And Havard Business Schools. / How To Get Into The Top Universities/ Business Schools In The World / Business Schools In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 7:22pm On Aug 29, 2009
omo, sefago, i can't even afford to even begin to attempt that kind of trip, its waaaaaaaay too expensive son. I was in the north east a couple of weeks ago and trust me i am not trying to go there anytime soon.

By the way, i have heard of a conference like this before, are there a lot of Nigerians over there.

Of course man, you know when ever they say anything about "africa" it is an euphemism for saying nigerians grin grin. yeah, the northeast is rily expensive, i go to school in the northeast and i spend money as it comes because one expense from another comes. I want to attend the HBS or Wharton one though because i feel it would be a good way of networking, but like you said i dont know where i am going to stay. I might try and stay in a hostels. Check out the recent hbs conference http://www.hbsafricaconference.com/ . But, i like you have money constraints so i am not sure. the only good thing is that i go to school in the northeast.

Concerning business school, before the recession, i think it would have been an effective career strategy to take a loan and go to HBS/Wharton because of the long run opportunities. If you can make it into those biz schools, the sky is the limit. Some consulting firms like BCG (Boston consulting) usually pay for your MBA after working as a business analyst for them. They would then fast track you through the compnay if you come back. However, if you check the pedigree of the people that come to a BCG, the majority come only from a maximum of 10 schools. They only recruit at a select number of schools Harvard/Princeton/Yale/Stanford/MIT/ Columbia/Wharton/Williams/Amherst for their business analyst positions.

However if you attend a top biz school and you did an undergrad in a non-target school you get another chance at applying to the big-named companies.

A Stanford grad, with financial consulting experience for NYSE 100 firms and a CFA.

And a Bethune-Cookman University grad with a recent Harvard MBA with previous background as a teacher or charity fund raiser.

Well they wouldnt be qualified for the same positions in GS anyways. You also have to consider other factors. The bethune-cookman university grad would have gotten a finance internship in his first year at Harvard, at some company anyways and could have performed very well in it. This gives him the experience he need to try out as an associate in GS when he finishes at HBS. ALso if he performed exceptionally well at Harvard, he wouldn't have to apply to GS, GS would look for him. The hypothetical situation is unlikely to happen anyways. Bethune-cookman is a predominantly black university so Goldman Sachs keeps diversity spots and yeah the Bethune-Cookman would be in a pretty good position.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Goldmann(m): 8:28pm On Aug 29, 2009
Hello my brethren, Ive been following your conversation with interest and I must say it really is interesting.

My opinion on the whole MBA issue is that the $100K+ investment in Education is absolutely worth it provided you have subjected yourself to a rigorous self-examination and reflection and decided what you really want out of life.

The truth whether or not you choose to accept it is that top firms such as Goldman, Mckinsey, Bain and Co., Morgan Stanley etc. are extremely selective in their recruiting. These firms I daresay have remained the best primarily because of the talented people they continue to employ; nowhere else in the world can you find a greater concentration of talent, potential corporate superstars and potential global leaders than in a Harvard or Stanford MBA classroom. That is precisely why these top firms focus their recruiting attention on certain 'Target Schools' such as Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, MIT Sloan etc. Thay can rely on the quality and calibre of the graduates of these programmes and be confident in their ability to bring fresh (and profitable) insights into their companies.

You may question the absolute nature of my previous statements but I dare say I have reasons for my conclusions. You need to understand there are MBAs and there are MBAs, You simply cannot even begin to compare a top schools to rest of the pack. What makes the top schools stand out? I am not an authority on the subject but I believe three major factors distinguish these schools from others.

First the calibre of professors that teach on Top MBA programmes are second to none. Harvard and Stanford for instance have several Nobel Laureates among their faculty. These professors apart from being technically sound in their fields are foremost thinkers steadily reeling out fresh ideas that become the stuff of textbooks and are eventually adopted the world over. Examples include Myron Scholes (Stanford) who received the Nobel Memorial Prize for the creation of the Black-Scholes options pricing model, a benchmark formula for the valuation of stock options and William Sharpe (also from Stanford) who received the Nobel Memorial Prize for his development of the Capital Asset Pricing Model, an economic model that weighs the potential gain from an investment against its potential risk.

Second major factor is the quality of the students admitted into these top business schools every year, You need to read their profiles, these folks are not ordinary, I am not talking about grades alone, that is where so many mediocre institutions miss it, I am talikg about accomplishments and leadership potential, In these schools, you find people who have taken the initiative to do meaningful things like starting charitable organizations or leading charitable causes, Bottom line, apart from being incredibly smart (Super high GPA and GMAT), you have to be a well rounded outstanding individual. Forming close bonds with such people over two years will revolutionize the way you think, act and respond to situations around you. These schools realize that potential for success can be displayed in a number of ways not just by detailed knowledge of a particular subject, This is why Harvard may admit an applicant with a very good GPA and GMAT who has accomplished a great feat such as leading a team of Mountain climbers over the Everest in record time and deny another applicant who has a perfect 4.0 GPA, MSc with Distinction, C.F.A and even a PHD but absolutely no extracurricular accomplishments.

Also very important are the Alumni Networking opportunities available at these top schools. Be it a career on Wall Street or in a top Consulting firm or even as an Entrepreneur, It is a great help if you have valuable connections. Certain schools like Harvard have alumni in virtually every sphere of American (and global) society, You just need to look up the notable alumni of these top business schools; this alone is enough motivation to get a top MBA, (George Bush, Henry Paulson, Our very own Bayo Ogunlesi are all Harvard Alumni), Harvard is a LEADERSHIP FACTORY, Other Schools such as Wharton, Columbia, Stern or Chicago boast probably the highest number of alumni that work on Wall Street, Stanford Alumni on the other hand are typically the pride of Silicon Valley,

If for instance your dream is a fulfilling career in Goldman , JP Mogan or a similar firm, an MBA from a school like Wharton or Columbia is probably the surest way in, Different schools also have their particular specialties. This is specifically why I said at the beginning of this post that you need to determine exactly what you want out of life before you dole out a 100Grand on an MBA, If you know all you desire is to be a top shot in one of Nigeria's commercial banks, do not waste your money on an MBA, Simply bringing in Billions of Naira in Deposits will get you to your promised land, the MBA is for people with far bigger dreams,

To my distinguished colleague who would rather spend the 100+ Grand on a business venture, I daresay that is a very noble idea once you have done your homework well, If you have a really great idea, go for it by all means. It is important to note however that top MBAs also focus on building entrepreneurs. A number of successful young entrepreneurs take a break and go to business school for two years to gain valuable insights and make even more valuable contacts. The teaching in the top MBA programmes is revolutionary, These programmes make great use of Case Studies that present some of the most complex business issues that exist today and even issues that they anticipate will exist in the future. Students are encouraged to THINK beyond the limits they have previosly set for themselves, analyse these issues and tackle them while in a classroom environment, Top programmes typically hold Business Plan Contests, The winner of such contests in some cases may receive funding and alumni support to bring the plan to reality. I believe the MBA, while in no way a neccessity if you are on an entrepreneural track, is also udoubtedly HIGHLY USEFUL as a lot of the concepts taught are very relevant in starting and running your own business successfully. Once again, a glance at the notable alumni of top schools like Stanford and Harvard will reveal the number of successful entrepreneurs that have been groomed in these formidable institutions.

An MBA is a lot more than the typical academic qualification, It is also very professional in nature providing you networking opportunities your peers can only dream of, The top MBAs also prepare you for Global Business Opportunities and ensure you do not remain a 'LOCAL CHAMPION' in your chosen field, The MBA as I have said is not only useful to those who have Goldman Sachs or Mckinsey in mind, even as an Entrepreneur, this qualification could really provide the missing link (knowledge, concepts and contacts) necessary to take your business to greater heights.

It is an expensive venture but one I DEFINITELY choose to invest in, Like my friend DAVIDIF, I am an absolute GOLDMAN SACHS FANATIC and I am not ashamed to say so, This is why I intend to go to a TOP business school in the very near future, As I have said repeatedly, let your ULTIMATE GOALS AND DREAMS determine your decision on whether or not to pursue an MBA, Never be a victim of 'CROWD ACTION', Only dead fish swim with the stream, If you've got what it takes and you want to make an impact on the GLOBAL BUSINESS scene, then an MBA may be just the thing for you.

Finally, research has proven that the Economic value of an MBA is directly related to the status of the school you choose to attend, Mega paying corporate establishments like Goldman, Morgan Stanley, Blackstone, KKR etc are very UNLIKELY to recruit out of certain less prestigious schools. You honestly cannot expect Harvard Business School and University of Maryland's Smith Business School to send their grads to the same companies, Complain as you want, it is not impossible but certainly very unlikely to see a Smith MBA in a firm like The Carlyle Group, That is just the way it is, My advice: do all you can to make yourself the ideal candidate for the top schools, this will give you prestige, virtually limitless opportunities, more confidence and certainly MORE VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY,
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 8:59pm On Aug 29, 2009
I think Mba these days are not worth it  or too risky

Especially with all the money invested in school, When I ever i see Mba i just think to my self too much of a risk
In recent times people who have gotten their Mbas are the ones losing jobs when private companies go Bad.

I plan on getting my Mba with a JD just to be safe

or llm and masters in economics

Great choice but i believe that MBA's would always rule. People have been predicting the demise of the MBA since decades ago, but it still relevant. How else would guys from Engineering or science learn about business if not through an MBA? You don't expect them to go get a master's in economics do you?

They only recruit at a select number of schools Harvard/Princeton/Yale/Stanford/MIT/ Columbia/Wharton/Williams/Amherst for their business analyst positions
Yep that is usually where the wall street boys recruit from. The top private equity firms like KKR and Blackstone recruit heavily from this schools also.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 10:14pm On Aug 29, 2009
I plan on getting my Mba with a JD just to be safe

Man u get money o. is your dad a politician?
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 10:33pm On Aug 29, 2009
Yep that is usually where the wall street boys recruit from. The top private equity firms like KKR and Blackstone recruit heavily from this schools also.

It is actually very difficult to get a PE gig straight out of college. you need to have worked in an IB division first b4 u culd try PE. Except u are a math genius from one of these schools.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 5:45am On Aug 30, 2009
Man u get money o. is your dad a politician?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That's a good one.

It is actually very difficult to get a PE gig straight out of college. you need to have worked in an IB division first b4 u culd try PE. Except u are a math genius from one of these schools.

You are definitely right on that one. They definitely pick guys with lots of experience man.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by spikedcylinder: 9:24am On Sep 02, 2009
Interesting thread. . . .
Goldman, the anti spam is attacking your post, lemme re-post it for you:

Hello my brethren, Ive been following your conversation with interest and I must say it really is interesting.

My opinion on the whole MBA issue is that the $100K+ investment in Education is absolutely worth it provided you have subjected yourself to a rigorous self-examination and reflection and decided what you really want out of life.

The truth whether or not you choose to accept it is that top firms such as Goldman, Mckinsey, Bain and Co., Morgan Stanley etc. are extremely selective in their recruiting. These firms I daresay have remained the best primarily because of the talented people they continue to employ; nowhere else in the world can you find a greater concentration of talent, potential corporate superstars and potential global leaders than in a Harvard or Stanford MBA classroom. That is precisely why these top firms focus their recruiting attention on certain 'Target Schools' such as Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, MIT Sloan etc. Thay can rely on the quality and calibre of the graduates of these programmes and be confident in their ability to bring fresh (and profitable) insights into their companies.

You may question the absolute nature of my previous statements but I dare say I have reasons for my conclusions. You need to understand there are MBAs and there are MBAs, You simply cannot even begin to compare a top schools to rest of the pack. What makes the top schools stand out? I am not an authority on the subject but I believe three major factors distinguish these schools from others.

First the calibre of professors that teach on Top MBA programmes are second to none. Harvard and Stanford for instance have several Nobel Laureates among their faculty. These professors apart from being technically sound in their fields are foremost thinkers steadily reeling out fresh ideas that become the stuff of textbooks and are eventually adopted the world over. Examples include Myron Scholes (Stanford) who received the Nobel Memorial Prize for the creation of the Black-Scholes options pricing model, a benchmark formula for the valuation of stock options and William Sharpe (also from Stanford) who received the Nobel Memorial Prize for his development of the Capital Asset Pricing Model, an economic model that weighs the potential gain from an investment against its potential risk.

Second major factor is the quality of the students admitted into these top business schools every year, You need to read their profiles, these folks are not ordinary, I am not talking about grades alone, that is where so many mediocre institutions miss it, I am talikg about accomplishments and leadership potential, In these schools, you find people who have taken the initiative to do meaningful things like starting charitable organizations or leading charitable causes, Bottom line, apart from being incredibly smart (Super high GPA and GMAT), you have to be a well rounded outstanding individual. Forming close bonds with such people over two years will revolutionize the way you think, act and respond to situations around you. These schools realize that potential for success can be displayed in a number of ways not just by detailed knowledge of a particular subject, This is why Harvard may admit an applicant with a very good GPA and GMAT who has accomplished a great feat such as leading a team of Mountain climbers over the Everest in record time and deny another applicant who has a perfect 4.0 GPA, MSc with Distinction, C.F.A and even a PHD but absolutely no extracurricular accomplishments.

Also very important are the Alumni Networking opportunities available at these top schools. Be it a career on Wall Street or in a top Consulting firm or even as an Entrepreneur, It is a great help if you have valuable connections. Certain schools like Harvard have alumni in virtually every sphere of American (and global) society, You just need to look up the notable alumni of these top business schools; this alone is enough motivation to get a top MBA, (George Bush, Henry Paulson, Our very own Bayo Ogunlesi are all Harvard Alumni), Harvard is a LEADERSHIP FACTORY, Other Schools such as Wharton, Columbia, Stern or Chicago boast probably the highest number of alumni that work on Wall Street, Stanford Alumni on the other hand are typically the pride of Silicon Valley,

If for instance your dream is a fulfilling career in Goldman , JP Mogan or a similar firm, an MBA from a school like Wharton or Columbia is probably the surest way in, Different schools also have their particular specialties. This is specifically why I said at the beginning of this post that you need to determine exactly what you want out of life before you dole out a 100Grand on an MBA, If you know all you desire is to be a top shot in one of Nigeria's commercial banks, do not waste your money on an MBA, Simply bringing in Billions of Naira in Deposits will get you to your promised land, the MBA is for people with far bigger dreams,

To my distinguished colleague who would rather spend the 100+ Grand on a business venture, I daresay that is a very noble idea once you have done your homework well, If you have a really great idea, go for it by all means. It is important to note however that top MBAs also focus on building entrepreneurs. A number of successful young entrepreneurs take a break and go to business school for two years to gain valuable insights and make even more valuable contacts. The teaching in the top MBA programmes is revolutionary, These programmes make great use of Case Studies that present some of the most complex business issues that exist today and even issues that they anticipate will exist in the future. Students are encouraged to THINK beyond the limits they have previosly set for themselves, analyse these issues and tackle them while in a classroom environment, Top programmes typically hold Business Plan Contests, The winner of such contests in some cases may receive funding and alumni support to bring the plan to reality. I believe the MBA, while in no way a neccessity if you are on an entrepreneural track, is also udoubtedly HIGHLY USEFUL as a lot of the concepts taught are very relevant in starting and running your own business successfully. Once again, a glance at the notable alumni of top schools like Stanford and Harvard will reveal the number of successful entrepreneurs that have been groomed in these formidable institutions.

An MBA is a lot more than the typical academic qualification, It is also very professional in nature providing you networking opportunities your peers can only dream of, The top MBAs also prepare you for Global Business Opportunities and ensure you do not remain a 'LOCAL CHAMPION' in your chosen field, The MBA as I have said is not only useful to those who have Goldman Sachs or Mckinsey in mind, even as an Entrepreneur, this qualification could really provide the missing link (knowledge, concepts and contacts) necessary to take your business to greater heights.

It is an expensive venture but one I DEFINITELY choose to invest in, Like my friend DAVIDIF, I am an absolute GOLDMAN SACHS FANATIC and I am not ashamed to say so, This is why I intend to go to a TOP business school in the very near future, As I have said repeatedly, let your ULTIMATE GOALS AND DREAMS determine your decision on whether or not to pursue an MBA, Never be a victim of 'CROWD ACTION', Only dead fish swim with the stream, If you've got what it takes and you want to make an impact on the GLOBAL BUSINESS scene, then an MBA may be just the thing for you.

Finally, research has proven that the Economic value of an MBA is directly related to the status of the school you choose to attend, Mega paying corporate establishments like Goldman, Morgan Stanley, Blackstone, KKR etc are very UNLIKELY to recruit out of certain less prestigious schools. You honestly cannot expect Harvard Business School and University of Maryland's Smith Business School to send their grads to the same companies, Complain as you want, it is not impossible but certainly very unlikely to see a Smith MBA in a firm like The Carlyle Group, That is just the way it is, My advice: do all you can to make yourself the ideal candidate for the top schools, this will give you prestige, virtually limitless opportunities, more confidence and certainly MORE VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY,
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by dayokanu(m): 7:38am On Sep 03, 2009
MBA's can be costly but when you think about the exposure and the connections you make.

Being in the same class with the guys who formulated the theory.

University of Chicago alone has over 100 Nobel laureate winners
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 7:51am On Sep 03, 2009
dayokanu:

Being in the same class with the guys who formulated the theory.

Not worth $100+K, except I am desperate or someone else is paying a large chunk of it.

I would not even pay that to have a weekly 1-to-1 tutorial on election fundraising with Obama.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by TheSeeker(m): 8:12am On Sep 03, 2009
Me think MBA is super cool. It's worth spending money on but like Sagamite rightly pointed out, $100K can as well be a starting capital for some good business. I think David and Sagamite are making great points but in the end it comes down to individual choices and how well and often they can access funds. If my dad is Yaradua, a state governor, Mike Adenuga, Dangote, etc., hell yes, but what if he's not and just some random business man? I'll think over it. wink
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by spikedcylinder: 8:37am On Sep 03, 2009
Oops, my post was marked as well. Oh well. angry
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by TheSeeker(m): 8:53am On Sep 03, 2009
Sagamite:

I would not even pay that to have a weekly 1-to-1 tutorial on election fundraising with Obama.
David Axelord is the underground king that wasn't crowned. wink
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 9:15am On Sep 03, 2009
TheSeeker:

David Axelord is the underground king that wasn't crowned. wink

Thanks, mate.  wink

TheSeeker:

Me think MBA is super cool. It's worth spending money on but like Sagamite rightly pointed out, $100K can as well be a starting capital for some good business. I think David and Sagamite are making great points but in the end it comes down to individual choices and how well and often they can access funds. If my dad is Yaradua, a state governor, Mike Adenuga, Dangote, etc., hell yes, but what if he's not and just some random business man? I'll think over it. wink

Honestly, I do admire these guys' ambition and was like this (if not worse) back in the day, it is good to see Nigerian youths with fire in their belly. But being one that is always ready (and enjoys  grin) to challenge the status quo (and frequently challenging it) in anything I do rather than just follow what is generally regarded as true or the "norm", I am ready to look at latent alternatives.

The cost of the course, the lost salary during, the stress of trying to excel, the hours you have to put in in GS, MS, Mckinsey, Bain etc, the over-competitive morons you have as colleagues that think they are intelligent but yet are just following a perception that does not bring them happiness?

I would rather set up a solid business with all that capital and stress, and still be able to have a relationship with wife and kids. Build it up, then hire some eager Harvard MBAs to run it whilst I retire and seat as a Dragon on Dragon's Den.  grin
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by TheSeeker(m): 9:49am On Sep 03, 2009
Sagamite:

Thanks, mate.  wink

Honestly, I do admire these guys' ambition and was like this (if not worse) back in the day, it is good to see Nigerian youths with fire in their belly. But being one that is always ready (and enjoys  grin) to challenge the status quo (and frequently challenging it) in anything I do rather than just follow what is generally regarded as true or the "norm", I am ready to look at latent alternatives.

The cost of the course, the lost salary during, the stress of trying to excel, the hours you have to put in in GS, MS, Mckinsey, Bain etc, the over-competitive morons you have as colleagues that think they are intelligent but yet are just following a perception that does not bring them happiness?

I would rather set up a solid business with all that capital and stress, and still be able to have a relationship with wife and kids. Build it up, then hire some eager Harvard MBAs to run it whilst I retire and seat as a Dragon on Dragon's Den.  grin
Ambition has ranges. There are ambitions that doesn't involve a high percentage of challenge; some do and some involve not just challenge but a widely based intelligence. I do believe in being independent. For the most part of my life, I've always thought I don't want to work under anyone (I know it's one step at a time but it doesn't hurt to have dreams and work towards it). I see David's impression as being very competitive in rather a very limited space, which most definitely is a challenge and will have to be buttressed by lots of intelligence and over emphasized time. But starting your own business will bring forth more intelligence, maybe less competition at the beginning but as you widen your horizon, you get to compete in that field you are -- your intelligence increases -- however, you can get to hire one of those 'experts' and they will continue with the rest and like you said, ". . . retire and seat like a dragon on a dragon's den"

Both has its pros and cons. Like I said, it solely depends on how well you can access funds and how often but there's nothing absolutely wrong with being independent even if my dad is the Nigerian president. Working on Wall Street, sure is competitive but having the determination to start your own business and hoping to enlarge it is way better (in my opinion)
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 3:58pm On Sep 03, 2009
TheSeeker:

Ambition has ranges. There are ambitions that doesn't involve a high percentage of challenge; some do and some involve not just challenge but a widely based intelligence. I do believe in being independent. For the most part of my life, I've always thought I don't want to work under anyone (I know it's one step at a time but it doesn't hurt to have dreams and work towards it). I see David's impression as being very competitive in rather a very limited space, which most definitely is a challenge and will have to be buttressed by lots of intelligence and over emphasized time. But starting your own business will bring forth more intelligence, maybe less competition at the beginning but as you widen your horizon, you get to compete in that field you are -- your intelligence increases -- however, you can get to hire one of those 'experts' and they will continue with the rest and like you said, ". . . retire and seat like a dragon on a dragon's den"

Both has its pros and cons. Like I said, it solely depends on how well you can access funds and how often but there's nothing absolutely wrong with being independent even if my dad is the Nigerian president. Working on Wall Street, sure is competitive but having the determination to start your own business and hoping to enlarge it is way better (in my opinion)

I couldn't agree more, mate. You nailed it.

I would still agree with david that MBA has its values, but some people should not do it blindly. Ask questions, no bandwagon followership, and if you are going to do it, better do it at any of the Top 25 in the world or don't bother at all (except you firm is paying for it).

But doing it anywhere still has a rip-off feel to me to an extent except you definitely get in High Finance or Consulting. I believe MBA was the shishi in the late 90s, when firms would be punching each other to hire the guys doing it as the economy was vibrant and the populace of MBA was limited. But as more and more people heard the success stories, the herd mentality kicked in and every Tom, D.i.c.k and Mobolaji wanted to get one.

Obviously, the top business school spotted the opportunity and milked it. In 2004, the cost of MBA in Havard was $67K (by the most generous inflationary adjustments, I don't think this would be more that $80K in today's money). In 2009, the cost of MBA in Harvard is over $100K. What an astronomical percentage rise over 5 years because they know you want it bad.

This is just tuition fees, we have not looked at the cost of living, books and asking you to go on (and pay for) an excursion to Philipines to see how some fruits are an opportunity for local people to set up a business [Sorry, Harvard, thanks for the pleasure of showing me this at the cost of $100K which I only got through debt], which will shoot the cost to over $200K (one fifth of a million dollars) in the top schools.

And the fact that schools are churning out thousands of MBA grads nowadays (even Harvard has increase class sizes astronomically in the last 10 years) further dilutes the appeal as the risk is even higher.

As I said earlier, question if you really need the MBA and do it for the reasons I said earlier. Best still start your own firm with the $100-200K except you are not that entrepreneurial.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by chiogo(f): 1:20am On Sep 04, 2009
Most Ivy leagues like Harvard and Stanford are good for most fields one decides to pursue. And of course, they cost a lot.
Didn't know UI is a good one too. That should be cheaper like most state schools are.

I don't know much about business anyway as I'm not into it.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 2:45am On Sep 04, 2009
sagamite and theseeker
What i am trying to say is that having an MBA would definitely help you in starting your own business because it gives you a general business education. 80% of new businesses fail and some of the reason is that a lot of people don't have a good business sense so they make key mistakes. An MBA helps you to learn from several enterprenuers who made it and from masters of the industries.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by TheSeeker(m): 3:48am On Sep 04, 2009
davidif:

sagamite and theseeker
What i am trying to say is that having an MBA would definitely help you in starting your own business because it gives you a general business education. 80% of new businesses fail and some of the reason is that a lot of people don't have a good business sense so they make key mistakes. An MBA helps you to learn from several enterprenuers who made it and from masters of the industries.
The first part of your statement is right but the question remains that, how well and often do you have access to these funds? Who doesn't want to be a graduate from Harvard, but how vibrantly can you afford it? And after you done paid all your dues, will it really be worth all the money you paid if you can't have the means to start your own business?

80% new businesses fail because when the entrepreneurs go into the business, they lack basic knowledge of how to make these businesses work. I can tell you a lot of people don't know what environment what business survives in let alone knowing how to compete in such environments. A lot of people have the capital to run businesses smoothly but are devoid of proper expertise in such fields hence, the businesses collapse. Do you know at this age, a lot of people still think once you have the money to start a business the rest is easy? Which, of course, isn't true. Having the basic capital to start a business is one thing, positioning it in a corresponding and favorable environment is another; then it'll bring you down to exploring and expanding your horizontal ideas of making the business, not only survive in that vicinity, but also to maximize your chances of being the best (I never liked being second best).

It'll surprise you that some other people start businesses just because they've seen it favor some important persons (their idols, their friends, their parents, etc.) -- there's nothing wrong in wanting to be someone else but before you get into the heat, you need to ask yourself a few questions and this is what they fail to do. They lack goals. They don't have a particular focus or maybe they do but want to jump into it blindly.

Just like you said, having a MBA will definitely give one the basic and in-depth understanding of new businesses. If I can't have access to large funds, instead of spending it getting MBA, I'd rather start a business and employ MBA holders by and large; and who even says I can't get MBA when I've made enough maximal gains from my business courtesy of my MBA employees?!
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 4:32am On Sep 04, 2009
Look the guys who get MBA's from this schools usually end up being "masters of the universe" (in there fields at least) that is no coincidence because they are the best and the brightest at what they do and they go for the best education just look at all the wall street CEO's or the heads of boutique firms or even most start ups and you will see what i am talking about.
Another example, even though its not in the business world is the world of technology, most of the innovation comes from student's from the best schools like the Stanford's, Caltech's and MIT's just look at Google.

Another reason why i am arguing for this great schools is that if you want the best education, you have to be willing to pay for it, afterall its an investment. Didn't we all fork out a large amount of money to come to yanki for college? What if our parents had told us to stay home and use the money for business instead of getting a quality education?

Bros, even if you become a great business man without an MBA let's not forget that no knowledge is wasted (heck, you could easily start a consulting business with the knowledge gained from the MBA) and that 100,000k (i don't think its up to that) is a worthy investment worth taking for the best education.

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE USUALLY NOT FREE.

1 Like

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by dayokanu(m): 7:23am On Sep 04, 2009
Why do you think most executives have an Ivy league education?

Why do you think Most US presidents have Ivy league education?

If you compare the ground breaking discoveries by Ivy league graduates I think its worth the investment.

Would you go to Texas Southern University and pay $30k for an MBA when you would end up working in a 50k a year job or a Harvard MBA that would guaranty you 100k a year start up salary at least. With the potential of standing tall with anyone on earth.

Dont forget Bill Gates the richest man in the world was an IVY league not West Missisipi University dropout.

Buffet went to Wharton and Columbia, Larry Elison went to University of Chicago and Urbana-Champaign

3 of the top 4 richest men were Ivy league students, Does that tell you something?

All Donald Trumps kids attend Wharton.

Compare the number of millionaires and entrepreneurs churned out from CALTECH to Oklahoma Panhandle University

Despite having a huge loan to pay after graduation, Ivy league grads are still richer and more succesful than other school.

I am a sucker for Ivy league education anyway cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by TheSeeker(m): 7:32am On Sep 04, 2009
dayokanu:

If you compare the ground breaking discoveries by Ivy league graduates I think its worth the investment.

Would you go to Texas Southern University and pay $30k for an MBA when you would end up working in a 50k a year job or a Harvard MBA that would guaranty you 100k a year start up salary at least. With the potential of standing tall with anyone on earth.

Dont forget Bill Gates the richest man in the world was an IVY league not West Missisipi University dropout.

Buffet went to Wharton and Columbia, Larry Elison went to University of Chicago and Urbana-Champaign

3 of the top 4 richest men were Ivy league students, Does that tell you something?

Compare the number of millionaires and entrepreneurs churned out from CALTECH to Oklahoma Panhandle University

Despite having a huge loan to pay after graduation, Ivy league grads are still richer and more succesful than other school.

That tells me something but speaking in Nigerian context, how many parents can afford to pay that much unless they are stealing our public funds? We're speaking of Nigerians here. . . are we entitled to the same opportunities as these people you mentioned? I'm not disputing where you're coming from; but ask yourself this: If you stand side by side with an American or some European and you both hold MBA from the same University, who will the considered first? That's what I call privilege -- only very few Nigerians have the very rarest opportunity to study in these schools.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by dayokanu(m): 8:22am On Sep 04, 2009
To get into these schools try and score a 760 in GMAT first to start with I have lots of friends in Ivy leagues whose parents were not rich but because they excelled, they got financial aid and were able to go.

The first thing about an Ivy league education is your intellectual ability, Not how rich you are .

Then given the demand for an Ivy league education and the rewards that come with it, You wont expect it to be cheap

That tells me something but speaking in Nigerian context, how many parents can afford to pay that much unless they are stealing our public funds? We're speaking of Nigerians here. . . are we entitled to the same opportunities as these people you mentioned? I'm not disputing where you're coming from; but ask yourself this: -- only very few Nigerians have the very rarest opportunity to study in these schools.

Do you know what it takes intellectually to get into a Ivy league school? Ho many Nigerians can score a perfect SAT or score a 770 in GMAT? We think we are smart? Check the number of Indians and Chinese in these schools. Nigerians are not smarter than other Africans and we are nothing speacial. If we can have a lot of Asians in Ivy leagues why not Nigerians. And dont pull the " Asians are more" argument because I have seen how Nigerians flood to schools like Texas Southern University with low admission requirements. Nigerians probably outnumber Asians in TSU but Asians are more in Rice University or UTAustin that are in the same State and locality

If you stand side by side with an American or some European and you both hold MBA from the same University, who will the considered first? That's what I call privilege

I bet you had a similar argument about how a black man can never become president of US. Or how a black man could have won the NOBEL prize for literature

1 Like

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by TheSeeker(m): 1:33pm On Sep 04, 2009
[Quote]Do you know what it takes intellectually to get into a Ivy league school? Ho many Nigerians can score a perfect SAT or score a 770 in GMAT? We think we are smart? Check the number of Indians and Chinese in these schools. Nigerians are not smarter than other Africans and we are nothing speacial. If we can have a lot of Asians in Ivy leagues why not Nigerians. And dont pull the " Asians are more" argument because I have seen how Nigerians flood to schools like Texas Southern University with low admission requirements. Nigerians probably outnumber Asians in TSU but Asians are more in Rice University or UTAustin that are in the same State and locality[/Quote]

That doesn't exactly convey what I'm trying to say but you're very right and I have the same opinion too.

[Quote]I bet you had a similar argument about how a black man can never become president of US. Or how a black man could have won the NOBEL prize for literature[/Quote]

I never doubted a black man will become US president but I knew it was going to be a tough one, yet, lucky. Had McCain ran a good campaign and made the right choice of VP candidate, that election would have gone the Republicans' way. . . but that's not the issue. Luck or no luck, bad campaigning or not, Obama deserves where he is right now (I never doubted he'll make it there)
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 5:52pm On Sep 04, 2009
dayokanu:

Dayokanu, I don't think we are debating Ivy League schools here, obviously it gives one a leg up. What we are debating is the cost of MBA, not undergrad.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 6:02pm On Sep 04, 2009
davidif:

Look the guys who get MBA's from this schools usually end up being "masters of the universe" (in there fields at least) that is no coincidence because they are the best and the brightest at what they do and they go for the best education just look at all the wall street CEO's or the heads of boutique firms or even most start ups and you will see what i am talking about.

There are a lot of people in similar positions that did not do the MBA. MBA is most usually a generalistic course, most "masters of the universe" I would not be surprised went to Ivy League and then did a Financial Qualification whilst working in a Bulge Bracket firm.

davidif:

Another example, even though its not in the business world is the world of technology, most of the innovation comes from student's from the best schools like the Stanford's, Caltech's and MIT's just look at Google.

Another reason why i am arguing for this great schools is that if you want the best education, you have to be willing to pay for it, afterall its an investment. Didn't we all fork out a large amount of money to come to yanki for college? What if our parents had told us to stay home and use the money for business instead of getting a quality education?

Bros, even if you become a great business man without an MBA let's not forget that no knowledge is wasted (heck, you could easily start a consulting business with the knowledge gained from the MBA) and that 100,000k (i don't think its up to that) is a worthy investment worth taking for the best education.

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE USUALLY NOT FREE.

No, you can not start a reputable consulting firm with MBA even from Harvard except you are a professor there, at best you will be a contractor. There are underlying differences in consulting services and contracting services.

True entrepreneurs rarely ever need the MBA qualifications, it is usually pursued by those with "employee mentality".

If you do the MBA at the top schools, you will make loads of money and be rich if you are in the lucky batch. But their is a difference between rich and wealthy.

The Harvard MBA employee is rich, the owner is wealthy. Chris Rock said it all.

[flash=450,300]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/CDkCE7WqxOE[/flash]
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by oyinda3(f): 9:08pm On Sep 04, 2009
Wake Forest has a free MBA program. only minority students at liberal arts colleges can apply though so i don't know if you qualify. wake forest might not be the best school in the world but it's pretty up there IMO so u should check it out.

Also as someone who attends a target school for Goldman sachs/ Jp morgan all that glitters is not gold. You would just sit down in a small office being part of the machinery and later becoming frustarted because of the limited opportunities for upward mobility as well as the greed

I agree. I heard lots of stuff. they get as many young boys as they can to work to work intensely 12hrs+ a day until they crack and quit. most pll don't stay in wall steet (except a few that do get the opportunity for upward mobility as you say) so there's a high turn over rate.
I don't know what most go on to do after wall street though. lol

but i guess it's probably worth it depending on the person. you still make lots of money even if for a short period of time or how much work you have to put into it.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 9:54pm On Sep 04, 2009
I heard lots of stuff. they get as many young boys as they can to work

Dont forget the women who work on wall street smiley
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by oyinda3(f): 10:10pm On Sep 04, 2009
yes there are a few women but they're mostly young men still. lol things are changing though
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by chic2pimp(m): 11:55pm On Sep 04, 2009
Sagamite:

True entrepreneurs rarely ever need the MBA qualifications, it is usually pursued by those with "employee mentality".

If you do the MBA at the top schools, you will make loads of money and be rich if you are in the lucky batch. But their is a difference between rich and wealthy.

The Harvard MBA employee is rich, the owner is wealthy. Chris Rock said it all.

[flash=450,300]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/CDkCE7WqxOE[/flash]
Absolutely spot on mate wink. There is a huge difference between being rich and wealthy.As Chris rock famously said shaquille o'neal is rich but the owner of his club is wealthy.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by agegeboy: 12:34am On Sep 05, 2009
Am not good at mathematics but did science for my high school education ,i need advice on course i can do for my university education (that required less math OR no math Cos i cant cope with my current poly education in Nigeria currently in my first year @ yabatech doing computer science MATH is my real problem )My SSCE I had 7 credits PASS and 2 Pass in Yoruba and economics PLEASE advice i need to apply to a UK University in January but cant afford to waste my money and time . thanks
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by dayokanu(m): 3:10am On Sep 05, 2009
Dayokanu, I don't think we are debating Ivy League schools here, obviously it gives one a leg up. What we are debating is the cost of MBA, not undergrad.

The returns on a MBA far outweighs the cost. I know a guy with a MBA from University od Arkansas who cant get a job. he probably paid 30k for his MBA. A Ivy league MBA guarantees a good job and a window of opportunity and exposure to the greatest minds in the business field
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 10:34am On Sep 05, 2009
dayokanu:

The returns on a MBA far outweighs the cost. I know a guy with a MBA from University od Arkansas who cant get a job. he probably paid 30k for his MBA. A Ivy league MBA guarantees a good job and a window of opportunity and exposure to the greatest minds in the business field

No doubt, an MBA at the top schools can pay and almost guarantees a good job. But the thing there is that I don't aspire for a good job, I aspire to give people good jobs like Dangote and Otedola so I can sit down and relax. 4 days a month oversight activities is all I want, thank you very much. My MBAs can bust their lungs 12hrs per day running it.

Greatest business minds are very close to me everyday. I have their books on my shelf, they put virtually everything they know there for circa $70.

Challenge the norm, don't just follow it. A trait that ensured I never bought a single share in Nigeria when everyone was screaming I was stupid, thank God for that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

IPPIS: Ten Reasons Why Lecturers Did Not Register On The IPPIS Platform / Oluwatoni Sanni On The List Of 1st Class Graduands At University Of Bristol / Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.