Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,929 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? (5596 Views)

Should Difference In Religion Be A Deal-breaker? / Should Same Religion Be A Prerequisite To Saying “yes”? / Perfectmate Counseling For Relationship / Marriage Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 4:32pm On Jun 01, 2016
I really don't know why religion have to come in between our relationship.

Ladidi and myself were into a serious relationship back then, she is the definition of what a beautiful lady should be. I love her to the point that i can't do anything without seeing her face. She was caring, nice and so hard working, she equally love me as well. Though her elder sister was against the relationship because am a christian, but that didn't stop Ladidi from loving me.
The relationship wax stronger, better and very sweet year after year.

On the 10th of May 2012, Ladidi called to tell me that she can't continue with the relationship because of the pressure from her side and my side as well. My heart was broken, i couldn't eat for some days all because of religious difference. Though she's married now, she still find time to call me and we talk at length, but i feel so bad.

Please pardon my use of English.

Should religion be a barrier to relationship?

cc Lalasticlala, ijebabe
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Cutehector(m): 4:36pm On Jun 01, 2016
I just dont knw why such things like this would be debated upon redundantly and be an issue only in Nigeria...
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Surfboard(m): 4:53pm On Jun 01, 2016
No, but you're in Nigeria, where religion (kinda) rules everything. And I mean everything.
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 4:59pm On Jun 01, 2016
Cutehector:
I just dont knw why such things like this would be debated upon redundantly and be an issue only in Nigeria...
Mehn, the thing tire me i swear.
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 5:03pm On Jun 01, 2016
Surfboard:
No, but you're in Nigeria, where religion (kinda) rules everything. And I mean everything.
But bros, nor be so e suppose be nah.

See the way i take miss out
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Surfboard(m): 5:07pm On Jun 01, 2016
greatness22:
But bros, nor be so e suppose be nah.

See the way i take miss out

Yes, there's the way things are and there's the way things should be. Once you accept that, maybe you will feel better with your decisions. I'm sure you'll find love again sa.
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 5:08pm On Jun 01, 2016
Omotayor123, AirSultan and Smellymouth would love you guys to say something about this please.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Medsimon01(m): 5:08pm On Jun 01, 2016
yea.
Religion is a barrier!
take for instance .u can't expect a TRUE believer- Christian to marry a Muslim or someone of another religion.
If he/she does dat, DAT means both of u are jokers..- believe me they are not Christian .they are just going to church.

1 Like

Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 5:11pm On Jun 01, 2016
Surfboard:

Yes, there's the way things are and there's the way things should be. Once you accept that, maybe you will feel better with your decisions. I'm sure you'll find love again sa.
But can't things just change a little bit?
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 5:14pm On Jun 01, 2016
Medsimon01:
yea.
Religion is a barrier!
take for instance .u can't expect a TRUE believer- Christian to marry a Muslim or someone of another religion.
If he/she does dat, DAT means both of u are jokers..- believe me they are not Christian .they are just going to church.
Sorry sir, were is it written in the Holy Bible that you shouldn't marry a Muslim or any other religion?
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Omotayor123(f): 5:22pm On Jun 01, 2016
It shouldn't. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered especially in a country like Nigeria where Tribalism has taken over.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 5:27pm On Jun 01, 2016
Omotayor123:
It shouldn't. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered especially in a country like Nigeria where Tribalism has taken over.
Hmmmm, if you truly love a guy, can you let religion issue come between the both of you?
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 01, 2016
Medsimon01:
yea.
Religion is a barrier!

Don't mislead the lad, why is religion a barrier?

Pastor W.F Kumuyi of DLCM married a muslim (fanatic) Mrs Abiobun Kumuyi (he's first wife) does that makes him less holy?

In christainity intermarriage among religion doesn't makes you a less believer. Religion should never be a barrier between lovers
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Medsimon01(m): 5:31pm On Jun 01, 2016
EXODUS 34:16 God forbids inter-religious marriages because He didn't want their sons and daughters to be tempted to follow another religion that worships false gods. God knew that sometimes, the believing party in the marriage would be tempted to go to the false religion to maintain marital unity, thereby forsaking God Himself. Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14 (NIV) If a person is anything other than a Christian, they are considered unbelievers. It doesn’t matter which “God” they profess to believe in. If they do not accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, as God in Flesh, they reject Christianity and are unbelievers, as defined in the Bible. Let me repeat it: If your spouse, boyfriend, or girlfriend is not a Christian, they are unbelievers, and the scripture warns against close relationships–especially romantic ones.

2 Likes

Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Omotayor123(f): 5:37pm On Jun 01, 2016
greatness22:
Hmmmm, if you truly love a guy, can you let religion issue come between the both of you?
Love sometimes doesn't help in this kind of matter except if you are ready to sacrifices your religion for him or her.

There will always be problem when couples have different religion views. I advice couples to share the same belief and faith.

1 Like

Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Smellymouth: 5:42pm On Jun 01, 2016
"As to marriage, you are allowed to marry the chaste from among the believing women and the chaste from among those who have been given the Book before you (are lawful for you); provided that you have given them their dowries, and live with them in honor, not in fornication, nor taking them as secret concubines.”Qur’an (5:5).

2 Likes

Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 5:42pm On Jun 01, 2016
Medsimon01:
EXODUS 34:16 God forbids inter-religious marriages because He didn't want their sons and daughters to be tempted to follow another religion that worships false gods. God knew that sometimes, the believing party in the marriage would be tempted to go to the false religion to maintain marital unity, thereby forsaking God Himself. Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14 (NIV) If a person is anything other than a Christian, they are considered unbelievers. It doesn’t matter which “God” they profess to believe in. If they do not accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, as God in Flesh, they reject Christianity and are unbelievers, as defined in the Bible. Let me repeat it: If your spouse, boyfriend, or girlfriend is not a Christian, they are unbelievers, and the scripture warns against close relationships–especially romantic ones.
Bros, you're misleading people here.

Try and change your orientation.

1 Like

Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Medsimon01(m): 5:44pm On Jun 01, 2016
BeastAmbition:

Don't mislead the lad, why is religion a barrier?

Pastor W.F Kumuyi of DLCM married a muslim (fanatic) Mrs Abiobun Kumuyi (he's first wife) does that makes him less holy?

In christainity intermarriage among religion doesn't makes you a less believer. Religion should never be a barrier between lovers

Mrs Abiodun kumuyi got converted from Islam to Christianity in 1972 and married pastor kumuyi in 1980 ..
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 5:45pm On Jun 01, 2016
Omotayor123:

There will always be problem when couples have different religion views. I advice couples to share the same belief and faith.
I disagree with you Tayo.

Check your signature again.
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by vickyO(f): 5:48pm On Jun 01, 2016
It shouldn't be a barrier but it's hard to maintain a healthy relationship when you begin to have kids.

Both of you believe your religion is the ideal one and since you want the best for your kids, you'd prefer they serve your God.

If you're mature enough to settle issues like this at the pre wedding stage, you should be okay.

But I don't think I can marry someone who doesn't share my belief. It's my core and I should be able to share it with my spouse.

2 Likes

Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 5:49pm On Jun 01, 2016
Smellymouth:
Lol
Boss, you gats say something oh, cos am falling in love with a beautiful Muslim lady again
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Medsimon01(m): 5:51pm On Jun 01, 2016
greatness22:
Bros, you're misleading people here.

Try and change your orientation.

Please try and study the word of God..
so that u won't be mislead..
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Omotayor123(f): 5:53pm On Jun 01, 2016
greatness22:
I disagree with you Tayo.

Check your signature again.

You think couples with different believe living together in the same house is okay?

Wetin do my signature?
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 5:55pm On Jun 01, 2016
vickyO:
It shouldn't be a barrier but it's hard to maintain a healthy relationship when you begin to have kids.

Both of you believe your religion is the ideal one and since you want the best for your kids, you'd prefer they serve your God.

If you're mature enough to settle issues like this at the pre wedding stage, you should be okay.

But I don't think I can marry someone who doesn't share my belief. It's my core and I should be able to share it with my spouse.
Hmmm! but what if you're deeply in love with the person, will you let him go like that all because of religion?
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Omotayor123(f): 5:56pm On Jun 01, 2016
vickyO:

You are on point my dear.
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 6:00pm On Jun 01, 2016
Omotayor123:

You think couples with different believe living together in the same house is okay?

Wetin do my signature?
I can tell of Bola and Remi Tinubu.

Do you know that love can find you a christian brother?
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Medsimon01(m): 6:01pm On Jun 01, 2016
comparing ur Religion- ur eternal reward with " love or lust for a Muslim lady" is foolish
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by annnikky(f): 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2016
Medsimon01:
Who r d unbelievers if I may ask bruhs?
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by vickyO(f): 6:04pm On Jun 01, 2016
greatness22:
Hmmm! but what if you're deeply in love with the person, will you let him go like that all because of religion?

It's hard to be deeply in love with person who doesn't understand your core.

I need a man I can talk to about my spirituality. A man I can pray with, that I can go to church with and who will teach my kids the Word.

Religion shapes our core and our core affects our being.

2 Likes

Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Medsimon01(m): 6:10pm On Jun 01, 2016
annnikky:

Who r d unbelievers if I may ask bruhs?

An unbeliever is someone that doesn't believe in Jesus as his/her saviour and also do the will of The Father-God wholeheartedly.. Muslim and others with those dat just attend church service and called themselves Christian but do not have 'Christ like' character are UNBELIEVERS..

1 Like

Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by greatness22(m): 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2016
vickyO:

It's hard to be deeply in love with person who doesn't understand your core.

I need a man I can talk to about my spirituality. A man I can pray with, that I can go to church with and who will teach my kids the Word.

Religion shapes our core and our core affects our being.
So everything you do, religion must one way or the other affect it right?
Re: Should Religion Be A Barrier To Relationship/marriage? by Omotayor123(f): 6:14pm On Jun 01, 2016
greatness22:
I can tell of Bola and Remi Tinubu.

Do you know that love can find you a christian brother?
I think sharing the same view about politics strengthen their bound.
Bola and remi are politicians... Politicians will hold hands with anybody. Even their worst Enemy.

I had like that love to find me a Muslim brother wink cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sexy Lady Expose How She Padded Her Bumbum To Look Curvyspark Controversy / When You See A Man Doing This Naughty Thing [Picture] / Two Nigerian Women Kissing Each Other At A Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.