Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,007 members, 7,821,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency (41555 Views)

Amaechi Sues Femi Fani-Kayode And Lere Olayinka Over Ikoyi $43m Recovered Loot / "FG Did Not Swap Boko Haram Prisoners For The 21 Chibok Girls" - Lai Mohammed / Recovered Loot: Why Buhari Won’t Disclose Amount – Garba Shehu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Nicur: 6:17am On Jun 05, 2016
•Interim forfeiture: N126 billion; $9 billion; £2 billion

By Emmanuel Aziken & Levinus Nwabughiogu

The Federal Government said, yesterday, it had made cash recoveries totaling N78,325,354,631.82; $185,119,584.61; £3,508,355.46 and €11, 250, from looters of public treasury, from May 29, 2015 to May 25, 2016.

The disclosure was in fulfillment of President Muhammadu Buhari’s promise to make public the details of the cash recoveries on his first anniversary in office. The President had said, in his broadcast to the nation on the first anniversary, that the details would be provided by the Federal Ministry of Information. Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, in a statement, also disclosed that Recoveries Under Interim Forfeiture (cash and assets) during the period totaled N126,563,481,095.43; $9,090,243,920.15; £2,484,447.55.

According to the statement, said to have been based on the interim report on the financial and assets recoveries made by the various government agencies from May 29, 2015 to May 25, 2016, the Funds Awaiting Return From Foreign Jurisdictions totaled 321,316,726.1 Dollars; 6,900,000 Pounds Sterling and 11,826.11 Euros (Eleven thousand, eight hundred and twenty six Euros, 11 cents).

It showed that Non-Cash Recoveries (Farmlands, Plots of Land, Uncompleted Buildings, Completed Buildings, Vehicles and Maritime Vessels) during the period total 239.

Meanwhile, Sunday Vanguard has been made to understand that the reason why names of looters were not disclosed was because of the need to avoid the potential of truncating the cooperation that was already being enjoyed in the drive to recover looted funds – in the first instance – from some of those from whom funds are being recovered, just as the government did not want to jeopardize the willingness of others to return funds in their possession.

The following, the statement said, is the breakdown of the recovered cash and assets:

In a related development, the Presidency, last night, defended its decision not to release the names of those who returned the funds. It cited the fact that while some of those who returned money were not in any way guilty of any offence, publishing the names could deter those contemplating returning ill-gotten funds in their custody.

A top Presidency source, who spoke to Sunday Vanguard , anonymously, said the administration was happy to have recovered as much as $9 billion without going to court as he said that a number of people still willing to return could be dissuaded by the publication of the names.

“This thing is ongoing and one of the reasons why we did not release the names was that without going to court we were able to retrieve all that amount of money. If you release names, other people who want to do voluntary returns will not do so. What we need is the money and not the names”, he stated.

“Secondly, many of those who returned the money are not necessarily guilty. For instance, if my party gave me money to go and campaign in an election, how am I to know that that money was from an illicit source?

“For instance if money is given to a newspaper for publication, you cannot criminalise the newspaper because it did not know where the money came from. If the newspaper returns the money would it be fair to publicise the name of the newspaper.

“If you listen to the mob you will just end up in the ditch. The practical thing is that we want more money to come in. And we don’t even know what are the terms of the agreement by which anybody returned money.

“So, for those who are saying that we ought to release the names, they got it completely wrong; it would be counterproductive. In fact, some people could go to court suing us for defamation and libel and then the whole essence would be lost and all people would be talking would be about the court cases. That is not what Nigeria needs now. What Nigeria needs now is to be focused and “we believe we have taken the right step in letting Nigerians know how much has been recovered, $9 billion without going to court”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/recovered-loot-n78billion-185million-3million/

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Nicur: 6:18am On Jun 05, 2016
make Una see reason ooh grin anyway I no even wan argue but if Apc like make dem dey cook up figures upandan!! and kontinu with their useless propaganda, make dem no tell us say NIGERIA IS BROKE! cos na money be this so!!

138 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Luukasz(m): 6:33am On Jun 05, 2016
As its a Good idea so also its a bad idea.
Every diseases that has milked the fat cow(Nigeria) must be brought in cuffs and executed before the public eye.
This undisciplined gluttons must be shamed and obliterated.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Luukasz(m): 6:35am On Jun 05, 2016
Nicur:
make Una see reason ooh grin anyway I no even wan argue but if Apc like make dem dey cook up figures upandan!! and kontinu with their useless propaganda, make dem no tell us say NIGERIA IS BROKE! cos na money be this so!!
I hope u ain't one of those PDP Bigots.

86 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Nobody: 6:35am On Jun 05, 2016
o

1 Like

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by rottennaija(m): 6:37am On Jun 05, 2016
A very good step the FG has taken

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by SWG26: 6:40am On Jun 05, 2016
Recovered loot my arse. Lie lie people.

88 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by bondingman: 6:40am On Jun 05, 2016
If this is true then this is first good thing this govt has done in its one year stay. 1 year 1 thing hmmm

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by jamace(m): 6:43am On Jun 05, 2016
If the FG can not name the looters, then it should not tell the world about the loots because the world will see ALL Nigerians as looters!

111 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by 989900: 6:44am On Jun 05, 2016
“This thing is ongoing and one of the reasons why we did not release the names was that without going to court we were able to retrieve all that amount of money. If you release names, other people who want to do voluntary returns will not do so. What we need is the money and not the names”, he stated.

Secondly, many of those who returned the money are not necessarily guilty. For instance, if my party gave me money to go and campaign in an election, how am I to know that that money was from an illicit source? “For instance if money is given to a newspaper for publication, you cannot criminalise the newspaper because it did not know where the money came from. If the newspaper returns the money would it be fair to publicise the name of the newspaper.

“If you listen to the mob you will just end up in the ditch. The practical thing is that we want more money to come in. And we don’t even know what are the terms of the agreement by which anybody returned money. “So, for those who are saying that we ought to release the names, they got it completely wrong; it would be counterproductive. In fact, some people could go to court suing us for defamation and libel and then the whole essence would be lost and all people would be talking would be about the court cases. That is not what Nigeria needs now. What Nigeria needs now is to be focused and “we believe we have taken the right step in letting Nigerians know how much has been recovered, $9 billion without going to court”.

Exactly my thoughts the other time when I said not releasing the names might not actually be a bad thing.

Obasanjo, GEJ and some other people from both APC, and PDP returned monies . . . some had terms for returning the monies.

In the states and some other countries for example, we have plea bargain/restitution even when you go to court. If you can achieve that without legal fees and time wasting -- the better.

We've been st00pid enough from the past to allow every D!ck, Tom, and Harry have unrestricted/unaccountable access to gov't accounts, in flagrant contradiction to the constitution.

I hope the TSA,BVN,IPPIS, and other templates degrade such gross level of malfeasance and perfidy.

101 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by teemanbastos(m): 6:58am On Jun 05, 2016
dnt let us gloss about the recovery. We want to see the effect on the economy and projects

12 Likes

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Nicur: 7:03am On Jun 05, 2016
Luukasz:
I hope u ain't one of those PDP Bigots.
and I hope you are not one of those zombies that have sold their thinking ability?

90 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Nicur: 7:09am On Jun 05, 2016
989900:

Exactly my thoughts the other time when I said not releasing the names might not actually be a bad thing.

Obasanjo, GEJ and some other people from both APC, and PDP returned monies . . . some had terms for returning the monies.

In the states and some other countries for example, we have plea bargain/restitution even when you go to court. If you can achieve that without legal fees and time wasting -- the better.

We've been st00pid enough from the past to allow every D!ck, Tom, and Jerry have unrestricted/unaccountable access to gov't accounts, in flagrant contradiction to the constitution.

I hope the TSA,BVN,IPPIS, and other templates degrade such gross level of malfeasance and perfidy.
Let's be honest here, so what proof does FG have that they really recovered the loot? do we believe them like that as we all know the reputation of this Government and with lie sorry Lai Mohammed involved? how do we know they are not making things up knowing that this Government still behaves like it's campaigning? did Buhari not say that he will name the looters? So if I steal and return am a free man and no crime committed?
*modified* to all those who have quoted me trying to justify all these stupid reasons, I have one question for una, NA TODAY GOVERNMENT BEGIN TO LIE TO US? WHERE IS THE PROOF ABI MAKE WE JUST DEY BELIEVE THEM DEY GO? LIKE HOW UNA TAKE BELIEVE APC'S CAMPAIGN PROMISES? PLEASE WE ARE NOT ALL ZOMBIES LIKE UNA, WE CAN STILL THINK!!

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by ckmayoca: 7:20am On Jun 05, 2016
989900:

We've been st00pid enough from the past to allow every D!ck, Tom, and Jerry have unrestricted/unaccountable access to gov't accounts, in flagrant contradiction to the constitution.

So now we don't know the so called looters, buhari cant rule for ever, what if we now cast our vote to one of the so called looters in future just because we don't know them and we can punish them by not voting for them.
So no thief is bigger than the law expect APC r being protected by this means and the other parties r being mentioned in dailies.

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by 989900: 7:23am On Jun 05, 2016
Nicur:
Let's be honest here, so what proof does FG have that they really recovered the loot? do we believe them like that as we all know the reputation of this Government and with lie sorry Lai Mohammed involved? how do we know they are not making things up knowing that this Government still behaves like it's campaigning? did Buhari not say that he will name the looters? So if I steal and return am a free man and no crime committed?

The CBN, EFCC, and office of the presidency are all government institutions; no one owns them, they would not be there forever, so why would anyone want to claim he has recovered monies they have not . . . who does that?

OTOH, this article already explained the last part you raised.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by emiwanlee(m): 7:26am On Jun 05, 2016
Any body that believes this thrash is a fool

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by 989900: 7:34am On Jun 05, 2016
ckmayoca:

So now we don't know the so called looters, buhari cant rule for ever, what if we now cast our vote to one of the so called looters in future just because we don't know them and we can punish them by not voting for them.
So no thief is bigger than the law expect APC r being protected by this means and the other parties r being mentioned in dailies.

In an ideal world, theoretically, naming them is the perfecto.

However, 'an ideal world' rarely ever exists. We all have divergent opinions about this naming thing, and I guess those who made the decision not to name them, must have had several meetings and consultations with better info to reach the conclusion that, not naming them would be in the country's best interest. BTW, not naming them publicly does not mean their names are not in the records, nor does it offer them immunity from some other cases now, or in the future . . . some are not really flat-out guilty even, as stated in the article.

By and large, this article already stated solid points to make that decision . . . legal and all.

Bottom line is, the country needs money badly, and if this route is the fastest way to get those monies back, so be it.

We might not all agree, but I'd rather get back say $500m from a looter, than he goes to court, wastes our time and resources, and gets 5 years (roughly 3 real years) and still gets to keep the loot/or most of the loot.

Likewise, we need to remember everyone's case is different from the other. Some will see jail term no matter what, regardless of returning monies or not/publishing names or not.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by ORACLE1975(m): 8:16am On Jun 05, 2016
No NAME Here Mr PRESIDENT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Nobody: 8:16am On Jun 05, 2016
Can we ever believe anything from this guys?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by canalily(m): 8:18am On Jun 05, 2016
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Nobody: 8:18am On Jun 05, 2016
g
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Beehshorp(m): 8:19am On Jun 05, 2016
So much for the corruption fight.... Even the corruption fight is corruption itself.. I give up

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Ayindesegun10(m): 8:19am On Jun 05, 2016
This government is a joke, they did not even understand themselves. Always contradicting their statements.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by sammyj: 8:20am On Jun 05, 2016
I thought PBM said he is not for anybody but from the way things are going I see him belong to some group especially the thieves and his north east region. Sooner very soon 2019 is around the corner and this why some of us is different from the former regimes supporters we know when to criticize PMB !!!! angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Cherishing(f): 8:20am On Jun 05, 2016
H
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by BIGTinfotech: 8:20am On Jun 05, 2016
He should have named them jare. What's The fun there now?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by McBrooklyn(m): 8:21am On Jun 05, 2016
Abeg, make dem recover the loot inside Amaechi Belle and this Man Belle too angry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by NaijaFutbol: 8:22am On Jun 05, 2016
Damage control

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Opposition Is Not Madness— Reno Tells Man Who Said He Heard Buhari Is Dead / Uwazuruike Disowns Nnamdi Kanu, Radio Biafra Boss / Biafra: What Buhari Should Have Done To Nnamdi Kanu- Yerima Shettima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.