Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency (41553 Views)

Amaechi Sues Femi Fani-Kayode And Lere Olayinka Over Ikoyi $43m Recovered Loot / "FG Did Not Swap Boko Haram Prisoners For The 21 Chibok Girls" - Lai Mohammed / Recovered Loot: Why Buhari Won’t Disclose Amount – Garba Shehu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by poseidon12: 12:35pm On Jun 05, 2016
Makes sense not to mention names. Let the money keep rolling in.
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by steve101: 12:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
YOU ARE FIGHTING CORRUPTION AND NO ONE IS BEING PERSECUTED C'MON ALL I SEE IS SOMEONE PROTECTING THEIR SELFISH INTEREST

1 Like

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Ndolarr: 1:01pm On Jun 05, 2016
Can we have the breakdown of the recovered loot on ethnic, gender and religious basis! After all, those who returned looted funds must belong to any of the three categories. My mind is telling me that a particular tribe looted the most and a particular religion looted small amount!! Presidency, please, give us the information pronto or I will invoke the provisions of freedom of information bill!!!
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Lushka(m): 1:09pm On Jun 05, 2016
Nicur:
make Una see reason ooh grin anyway I no even wan argue but if Apc like make dem dey cook up figures upandan!! and kontinu with their useless propaganda, make dem no tell us say NIGERIA IS BROKE! cos na money be this so!!
There is strong reason in their action. Mentioning names of those who returned our yams willingly will discourage other yam robbers who still have our yams and are willing to return them. Lets just give them time but bro I don tire for all these stories oooo

1 Like

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Boyooosa(m): 1:11pm On Jun 05, 2016
My own concern is the reflection of the recovered monies in our economy, where are they? who the monies have eppped?
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by netflicks(m): 1:12pm On Jun 05, 2016
Buhari "make this Nigerian's no think say we no do anything since over one year....Oya Lienus Mohammed the lion tell them say we recover moni them go believe... cool
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by jakiedudu(m): 1:12pm On Jun 05, 2016
So after persecuting Raymond Dopkesi and others for a job they did for PDP, the govt suddently realised that making names of looters public is wrong Smh
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by FLYFIRE(m): 1:14pm On Jun 05, 2016
klassicview:
They are all Northerners.
Exactly bro.... abacha NEVER touched Nigeria's kobo says the illiterate thieving DULLARD
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by iretex1(m): 1:19pm On Jun 05, 2016
Nicur:
and I hope you are not one of those zombies that have sold their critical thinking ability?

I think he sold himself to APC.

we should grow beyond the level of blind patriotism and encourage accountability from all personnel in government irrespective of their party affiliation.

2 Likes

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by FLYFIRE(m): 1:23pm On Jun 05, 2016
feldeno:
its amnesty for looters.
Yeah, its because more than 95 percent are apc members

1 Like

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by Edusouls(m): 1:27pm On Jun 05, 2016
Nicur:
make Una see reason ooh grin anyway I no even wan argue but if Apc like make dem dey cook up figures upandan!! and kontinu with their useless propaganda, make dem no tell us say NIGERIA IS BROKE! cos na money be this so!!
u re the same people that said that the recovery efforts by the president is cluelesness, now it bearing fruit and you are talking rubbish, nigerians una no go see better thing for una lives..

1 Like

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by tundexijim(m): 1:34pm On Jun 05, 2016
Haters though. they talk as if they will do something abt it if the fg decides not to release details of the recovered loot at all...just keep on ranting from the corner of ur room..

1 Like

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by gevans(m): 1:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
I m disappointed by this reasons given, they should have make their Names public to act as a deterrent to other persons, thieves should b treated like a thief not this coded type of treatment.
if it were to be a poor person that stole phone for instance, n wz caught, would have been made public. I disagree with them for this reason. let me ask this question, is it d recovery of only d money that matter most? or recovery d money and impacting the fear of stealing on the citizens?
God bless Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by gevans(m): 1:47pm On Jun 05, 2016
Ndolarr:
Can we have the breakdown of the recovered loot on ethnic, gender and religious basis! After all, those who returned looted funds must belong to any of the three categories. My mind is telling me that a particular tribe looted the most and a particular religion looted small amount!! Presidency, please, give us the information pronto or I will invoke the provisions of freedom of information bill!!!
it is now a law not longer a bill, tanx
God bless Nigeria
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by gevans(m): 1:51pm On Jun 05, 2016
Edusouls:
u re the same people that said that the recovery efforts by the president is cluelesness, now it bearing fruit and you are talking rubbish, nigerians una no go see better thing for una lives..

God forbid, may God bless Nigeria and Nigerians
Amen
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by buchilino(m): 2:09pm On Jun 05, 2016
Luukasz:
I hope u ain't one of those PDP Bigots.

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH U SOMEWHERE
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by adimsmt: 2:13pm On Jun 05, 2016
Nicur:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/recovered-loot-n78billion-185million-3million/

Please can you all find out the cost of recovery
How much has government spent .
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by buchilino(m): 2:17pm On Jun 05, 2016
989900:

In an ideal world, theoretically, naming them is the perfecto.

However, 'an ideal world' rarely ever exists. We all have divergent opinions about this naming thing, and I guess those who made the decision not to name them, must have had several meetings and consultations with better info to reach the conclusion that, not naming them would be in the country's best interest. BTW, not naming them publicly does not mean their names are not in the records, nor does it offer them immunity from some other cases now, or in the future . . . some are not really flat-out guilty even, as stated in the article.

By and large, this article already stated solid points to make that decision . . . legal and all.

Bottom line is, the country needs money badly, and if this route is the fastest way to get those monies back, so be it.

We might not all agree, but I'd rather get back say $500m from a looter, than he goes to court, wastes our time and resources, and gets 5 years (roughly 3 real years) and still gets to keep the loot/or most of the loot.

Likewise, we need to remember everyone's case is different from the other. Some will see jail term no matter what, regardless of returning monies or not/publishing names or not.

I NEED EQUAL RIGHTS N JUSTICE, PETER TOSH.
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by excel101(m): 2:18pm On Jun 05, 2016
The major challenges with this Govt. is that they talk before thinking (their mouth is faster than their brain). They better start acting and talk less.

1 Like

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by totorimi: 2:19pm On Jun 05, 2016
THE NAMES MUST BE PUBLISHED OR ELSE I WILL TAKE IT THAT SOME APC AND PRESENT GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AND CROONIES ARE INVOLVED. #PUBLISHTHENAMESNOW

2 Likes

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by October1960: 2:22pm On Jun 05, 2016
The amounts recovered is a drop in a bucket and will not help a large country like Nigeria with fast growing population.

Not revealing the names shows that this administration is beholding and afraid of the powerful in this country that has raped and brutalized the nation by stealing the majority of money meant for development.

If past high ranking government officials and politicians are not punished nothing will really change.

If this govt is serious about corruption they should probe source of wealth of former perm secs, managers, directors, governors, commisioners and up including former presidents.
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by smtx(m): 2:24pm On Jun 05, 2016
jamace:
Why wont we be concerned about the names? When Cameron said "Nigeria is fantastically corrupt....", did he exempt you and I?

By failing to name names, the criminals are on equal standing of innocence like us. If not for anything, names are required for the sake of history!

No matter the number of valid points you raise a Zombie will remain a Zombie. Save your strength for better things, trying to convince anyone in this case is tantamount to storing water in a basket!
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by October1960: 2:32pm On Jun 05, 2016
In developed countries there is less corruption because people get punished and have to return more than the proceeds of corruption.

In the USA many governors have gone to prison for reasons less than what government officials and politicians have done to Nigeria.
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by bondingman: 3:16pm On Jun 05, 2016
Fourwinds:
what about Boko Haram...has he not dealt with them too in his first year
27th of last month they razed 5 villages in borno heading towards Maiduguri the state capital.
Many of the so called herdsmen are actually boko boys undercover so they've effectively spread southwards.
No kudos to him yet, except unless the Chibok girls are rescued.
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by ojtech8291: 3:27pm On Jun 05, 2016
It's a wise step. Psychological implementation! !
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by ogmask: 3:32pm On Jun 05, 2016
989900:

In an ideal world, theoretically, naming them is the perfecto.

However, 'an ideal world' rarely ever exists. We all have divergent opinions about this naming thing, and I guess those who made the decision not to name them, must have had several meetings and consultations with better info to reach the conclusion that, not naming them would be in the country's best interest. BTW, not naming them publicly does not mean their names are not in the records, nor does it offer them immunity from some other cases now, or in the future . . . some are not really flat-out guilty even, as stated in the article.

By and large, this article already stated solid points to make that decision . . . legal and all.

Bottom line is, the country needs money badly, and if this route is the fastest way to get those monies back, so be it.

We might not all agree, but I'd rather get back say $500m from a looter, than he goes to court, wastes our time and resources, and gets 5 years (roughly 3 real years) and still gets to keep the loot/or most of the loot.

Likewise, we need to remember everyone's case is different from the other. Some will see jail term no matter what, regardless of returning monies or not/publishing names or not.

Brother, I see you put in so much time and effort to try to explain to pple who have blinded their minds to reality. These same pple will fault the list of it was released in the first place. You will hear something like 'where is tinubu and Amaechi's names, witch hunt list, why should a list be released when they have not been. convicted by a court of law.
Believe me brother they know the truth but decide to sell their souls to deceit. Their hatred for buhari is legendary.
God bless pmb.
God bless FRN.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by lastpage: 3:41pm On Jun 05, 2016
Nicur:

I voted for Buhari and convinced a lot of people to do same.
But the reasons given is pure lunacy!

In a related development, the Presidency, last night, defended its decision not to release the names of those who returned the funds. It cited the fact that while some of those who returned money were not in any way guilty of any offence, publishing the names could deter those contemplating returning ill-gotten funds in their custody.

A top Presidency source, who spoke to Sunday Vanguard , anonymously, said the administration was happy to have recovered as much as $9 billion without going to court as he said that a number of people still willing to return could be dissuaded by the publication of the names.

“This thing is ongoing and one of the reasons why we did not release the names was that without going to court we were able to retrieve all that amount of money. If you release names, other people who want to do voluntary returns will not do so. What we need is the money and not the names”, he stated.

“Secondly, many of those who returned the money are not necessarily guilty. For instance, if my party gave me money to go and campaign in an election, how am I to know that that money was from an illicit source?

“For instance if money is given to a newspaper for publication, you cannot criminalise the newspaper because it did not know where the money came from. If the newspaper returns the money would it be fair to publicise the name of the newspaper.

“If you listen to the mob you will just end up in the ditch. The practical thing is that we want more money to come in. And we don’t even know what are the terms of the agreement by which anybody returned money.

*Is Buhari telling us that publishing names of those who "RETURN MONEY", under same heading, makes them a THIEF?
*Is Buhari telling us that he is succumbing to BLACKMAIL?
*Is Buhari telling us that it is good and virtuous to "shield such information" from citizens?
*Is Buhari telling us that without publishing names of those who "returned money" with how much they returned, we are supposed to TRUST HIM as declaring the exact amount he collected... with what he published?
*Is Buhari telling us that if l see money on the ground, and returned it to the authorities, by publishing my name and how much l returned, that makes me a thief?
*How is telling your Citizens the TRUTH.... classified as criminalising somebody who returned what does not belong to him...but to the Nation?
*Buhari should be told that anyone who supports corruption, directly or indirectly, is also CORRUPT.

Please, l am getting disappointed in Buhari by the day!
At this rate, l dont think he would have any goodwill left, by 2019.

Buhari may go the same way of GEJ, men who started with tremendous goodwill, and fritted it all-away in a short space of time!

At the end of the day, just as we were left with a Choice between "Two Evils" (Buhari Vs Jonathan), we might be faced with the same quagmire, in 2019.

What a disappointment! angry

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by delexy123: 3:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
hustla:

Lol you obviously dont know what's called baiting
They're encouraging them to come forward and give back stolen money. In the end, they will still announce those names but right now, they're rubbing their backs

so they are rubbing their back and baiting them at the same time telling us the reasons not to release names on news outlets as if looters are so dumb they don't read these same papers. please spare me the flawed logic.
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by ogmask: 3:52pm On Jun 05, 2016
October1960:
In developed countries there is less corruption because people get punished and have to return more than the proceeds of corruption.

In the USA many governors have gone to prison for reasons less than what government officials and politicians have done to Nigeria.

The federal govts decision is the best in this circumstance. The same western nations you mentioned were the ones that introduced plea bargain. In some cases u let a person who decides to cooperate free at the expense of the stubborn ones. There's also another angle to the Nigerian case. Some of the pple returning cash ddnt exactly steal from govt directly as it were. Some were innocenty caught in the web. If such pple decide to honourably return such money it's only proper to protect them. Except where they decide to be stubborn and foolish like olisa metuh. Metuh was not a govt official but he refused to return the money Jonathan gave to him thru the ONSA. Now look at it for a moment. The govt has taking metuh to court but not a dime has been recovered from him. The govt is wasting time and money to prosecute him for maybe a jail term at the end of the day. The govt can dangle the option of no prosecution at some other persons who will agree to stand as witnesses against metuh should They be directly involved in the stealing.
All in all its a wise decision by govt.
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by lastpage: 3:56pm On Jun 05, 2016
Lushka:

There is strong reason in their action. Mentioning names of those who returned our yams willingly will discourage other yam robbers who still have our yams and are willing to return them. Lets just give them time but bro I don tire for all these stories oooo

The Choice should not be between "Return Money" or "Cover-Up" !

The Choice should be between "Return Money" or "Go-to-Jail"!

If the Govt actually has PROOF that you are a looter, it needs not be begging you to return the loot, it should be dangling the option of JAIL in front of you and you should be the one begging the Govt, for soft landing, paying interest on the money and apologizing to Nigerians.

This sort of secrecy is in itself, a source for further CORRUPTION.

Lastpage!
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by macherie1: 4:10pm On Jun 05, 2016
African china sang about this ten years ago. He said "poor man wey thief magi, omo dem go show im face for crime fighter.Rich man wey thief money we no dey see their face for crime fighter". In a country where people get lynched and burnt alive for stealing common goat, people that stole money in billions are being protected because they returned some of it. Buhari should be tried for aiding and abetting corruption. He does not seem different from the looters he's fighting.
Re: Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency by delexy123: 4:21pm On Jun 05, 2016
greatman247:

We don't need the world's opinions if you go about focusing on what people would say then you will be doom as a failure. We need to focus on ourselves as a country and see how the country will progress. The APC led govt tried as far as the recovery is concerned, we don't need the name, the names cannot put food on the table of average Nigerians, so I wonder why some hate agents keep insisting on the names. More money to be recovered is what we need, APC led has given us a tenable reason for not publishing the names, and I think we should give them time.

In 16 years of rule by the PDP, how much have they recovered into the coffer of Nigeria? Absolutely nothing, instead they loot us dry and engaged in various degrees of misrule. And yet they criticise the APC led govt, wanting Nigeria not to see anything good in APC led govt. To me, no matter how bad APC is, they have tried in one year of their govt than 16 years rule of PDP. In one year of office and they were able to recover this much, that's a pass mark. And I believe more will come.
So in summary of what you've just said is that looters should go scot free and live like king so far they return some of the loot? how does this serves as deterrent to other potential looters? Also it literally means anyone can steal and only need to return some if caught? I see most of these loots being recovered as stealthy bribes by looters just to keep the government eye off them. By the way, how as those recovered funds personally helpthe average Nigerian since independent?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obasanjo Ota Farm Staff Had Been On Government Payroll - Facebook User / Twitter Community Amazed By Bukola Saraki’s Interaction With Young Professionals / Matthew Karimo Gives Indomie, Maggi Cubes To Unhappy Villagers. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.