Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,244 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God (11686 Views)

Those Doubting The Existence Of God,what Is The Source Of Supernatural Powers / The Scientific And Empirical Proof That God Truly Exists / The Much Awaited Empirical Evidence!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by morpheus24: 9:00pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

@ mazaje - i am not a slavish adherent of anything fed to me by any one. You should have noticed that by now. It took me many years to arrive at my conclusions trust me. In the past i have been an Anglican, Jehovah's Witness, Rosicrucian, considered Islam, and almost Crossbearer. I have read the bible, the quoran, the grail message, and many Buddhist, Taoist, shintoist, and even hindu philosophies because i am a SEEKER. So don't worry, lets just reason along little by little, we will get there,

THIS GUY!!!, I LIKE THIS GUY. AINT GONNA FEED YA TO THE FISHES FOR NOW. CARRY ON!!
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by mazaje(m): 9:02pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

@ tudor, mazaje, would you like to respond directly to this rationale on the zero quantity above.

Yes for the sake of this discussion i will accept that 0 + 0 = 0 every where. . . .

@ mazaje - i am not a slavish adherent of anything fed to me by any one. You should have noticed that by now. It took me many years to arrive at my conclusions trust me. In the past i have been an Anglican, Jehovah's Witness, Rosicrucian, considered Islam, and almost Crossbearer. I have read the bible, the quoran, the grail message, and many Buddhist, Taoist, shintoist, and even hindu philosophies because i am a SEEKER. So don't worry, lets just reason along little by little, we will get there,

OK. . .pls go ahead and make your point. . . . .
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by Tudor6(f): 9:05pm On Aug 26, 2009
Yes, me too. . . I accept.
Now forward please.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by mantraa: 9:07pm On Aug 26, 2009
There are places in this universe where the known laws of physics break down. For instance, when you approach and go past the singularity point of a black hole, it is not known what happens. There are also millions of neutron stars, quasars and dark matter in the universe where the laws of physics that apply to them have not been discovered yet. Relate this to the fact that a simple remote control would seem like supernatural magic and totally inconceivable 200 years ago because the electromagnetic spectrum had  not been discovered yet. The pacific cargo cults are a good example of people concluding that things they cannot comprehend must have a supernatural cause.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by Krayola2(m): 9:07pm On Aug 26, 2009
can u even do any calculation using 0 ? Isn't zero nothing? how can u do anything with nothing?

if we are allowed to mess around with zeros then 1 = 2

"a" squared minus "a" squared = "a" squared minus "a" squared (can't do the sign on the forum  tongue )

a(a-a)= (a+a) (a-a)  
divide both sides by (a-a)
a=a+a
therefore 1=2

I ain't no math whiz, actually i don't know shit about math,but i don't think any equation with only zero on each side means anything.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:12pm On Aug 26, 2009
Krayola2:

I ain't no math whiz, actually i don't know shit about math,but i don't think any equation with only zero on each side means anything.

Very very true, I am still waiting for the best sleight of the hand since cris angel.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by mantraa: 9:14pm On Aug 26, 2009
patience is a virtue smiley
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by Krayola2(m): 9:14pm On Aug 26, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Very very true,  I am still waiting for the best sleight of the hand since cris angel.

haha. ditto!
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by DeepSight(m): 9:15pm On Aug 26, 2009
@ Tudor, Mazaje - Very good!

We are now breaking out of the first level of the discussion. Let me just add for emphasis before going forward that the reason it was important to accept that 0 + 0 = 0 in all circumstances is so that we appreciate that once we have an element ("1"wink or anything that exists at all in any form., then it could not have come out of the zero quatity. There must be the intervention of a substantive element to move from zero to something ("1"wink.

Therefore: 0 + 1 = 1. Agreed?

If you accept the above equation, you accept that the world, universe, existence, whatever you call it - came not from the zero element, but from something. There needed to be an intervention in the zero element by 1 (That is to say: 0 + 1 = 1).

Thus the premise is; something caused the universe. Agreed?
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by canuck(m): 9:18pm On Aug 26, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Very very true, I am still waiting for the best sleight of the hand since cris angel.

LOL! Very good sense of humour.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by DeepSight(m): 9:21pm On Aug 26, 2009
@ Mantraa, please refer to my earlier post above on the fact that even if physical laws change (which i do not believe), they cannot change with respect to the zero element. That's what is at issue here.

Krayola2:

can u even do any calculation using 0 ? Isn't zero nothing? how can u do anything with nothing?

This proves that the zero element is nothing, and must always remain zero! This proves that 0 + 0 = 0! Everywhere! This proves, like i said in my last post, that the world could not have come out of the zero element, and something had to cause it.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by Krayola2(m): 9:24pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

This proves that the zero element is nothing, and must always remain zero! This proves that 0 + 0 = 0! Everywhere! This proves, like i said in my last post, that the world could not have come out of the zero element, and something had to cause it.

u can not go any further with an equation with only zeros on both sides. . . it makes arithmetic useless!!

if 0=0 then it can be proven that 1=2.  . that is the issue here, I think. If u are goin to use it in your argument then it must make sense in arithmetic. .  It does not, as far as i know.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by mazaje(m): 9:28pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

We are now breaking out of the first level of the discussion. Let me just add for emphasis before going forward that the reason it was important to accept that 0 + 0 = 0 in all circumstances is so that we appreciate that once we have an element ("1"wink or anything that exists at all in any form., then it could not have come out of the zero quatity. There must be the intervention of a substantive element to move from zero to something ("1"wink

OK. . . . . . .

If you accept the above equation, you accept that the world, universe, existence, whatever you call it - came not from the zero element, but from something. There needed to be an intervention in the zero element by 1 (That is to say: 0 + 1 = 1).

On what basis did you come to the conclusion that something caused the universe? How do you know that the universe is not eternal and uncreated(we know very little about the universe for now)? If god or what ever you chose to call the element or force which you believe is behind the existence or causation of universe is uncreated then that means that there are exceptions to your equation. . . why not accept that the universe is uncreated and is eternal since your believe that there are some exceptions to the first cause argument?
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by huxley(m): 9:34pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

We are now breaking out of the first level of the discussion. Let me just add for emphasis before going forward that the reason it was important to accept that 0 + 0 = 0 in all circumstances is so that we appreciate that once we have an element ("1"wink or anything that exists at all in any form., then it could not have come out of the zero quatity. There must be the intervention of a substantive element to move from zero to something ("1"wink.

This is ad hoc reasoning. How do you go from 0 + 1 = 1 to the conclusion;

If you accept the above equation, you accept that the world, universe, existence, whatever you call it - came not from the zero element, but from something. There needed to be an intervention in the zero element by 1 (That is to say: 0 + 1 = 1).?

By the way, what is the differencr betwen the following equations?

1) 0 + 1 = 1

and

2) 1 = 1
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by mantraa: 9:36pm On Aug 26, 2009
or  maybe this universe was created from the back end of a giant black hole in another universe. etc.etc.

Just a thought, but it is possible.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by posakosa(m): 9:36pm On Aug 26, 2009
morpheus24:

THIS GUY!!!, I LIKE THIS GUY. AINT GONNA FEED YA TO THE FISHES FOR NOW. CARRY ON!!

<dead> hahahahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by posakosa(m): 9:37pm On Aug 26, 2009
How did the 1 magically appear, explain ? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:41pm On Aug 26, 2009
huxley:

This is ad hoc reasoning. How do you go from 0 + 1 = 1 to the conclusion;

1) 0 + 1 = 1

and

2) 1 = 1

1=1
the universe is eternal grin grin grin grin
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by huxley(m): 9:42pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

@ Mantraa, please refer to my earlier post above on the fact that even if physical laws change (which i do not believe), they cannot change with respect to the zero element. That's what is at issue here.

How does that imply a cause?  You have not demonstrated that.   If you have done anything (which I think you have not) you have ONLY shown THINGS (or the universe) have always existed.

Even if we grant you premise, I would like to see how you go from a[b] cause[/b] to a god.  That is the gap I would like to see bridged.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 26, 2009
@mazaje
If as intelligent and knowledgeable we humans popurtably are we can not comprehend the make up of this planet talkless of the universe, it only makes sense it was put together by a far more intelligent being [God] as it is quite evident given the complexity of everything that exists, there must be an infinitely advanced designer/maker aka creator.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by Krayola2(m): 9:45pm On Aug 26, 2009
at least be original!!
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by DeepSight(m): 9:46pm On Aug 26, 2009
Mantraa - you are getting brilliant!!!! But -

mazaje:

On what basis did you come to the conclusion that something caused the universe? How do you know that the universe is not eternal and uncreated

We know that the Universe is not eternal because it is expanding. That much is verified. Since it is expanding, if you follow the process backward you will find that you will see a smaller and smaller universe until you arrive at a point in the distant past where it was nothing more than a single point. So there - it started at some point - and this reasoning remains intact even if applied to the existence of any other universes. Nevertheless, since the existence of other Universes will at this point be speculation, let us confine our discussion to this universe, which we are certain had a beginning. You see, the continuous expansion of the universe is what led some scientists to initiate the big bang theory - because at some point. that expansion must have started. And the whole point of my 0 + 0 = 0 equation is to prove that it could not have started out of nothing - that something started it.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by posakosa(m): 9:49pm On Aug 26, 2009
you have only shown that you cannot explain god using logic. undecided undecided undecided

somethings are just unexplainable and some people just need to accept that. Not everything needs to be explained.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by huxley(m): 9:52pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

We know that the Universe is not eternal because it is expanding. That much is verified. Since it is expanding, if you follow the process backward you will find that you will see a smaller and smaller universe until you arrive at a point in the distant past where it was nothing more than a single point. So there - it started at some point - and this reasoning remains intact even if applied to the existence of any other universes. Nevertheless, since the existence of other Universes will at this point be speculation, let us confine our discussion to this universe, which we are certain had a beginning. You see, the continuous expansion of the universe is what led some scientists to initiate the big bang theory - because at some point. that expansion must have started. And the whole point of my 0 + 0 = 0 equation is to prove that it could not have started out of nothing - that something started it.

Whoever said the universe started out of nothing?  Can you show any reputable scientific source that says that?   As far as I know, currently scientific findings only says that the present universe was created out of a singularity.   The singularity is NOT nothing, or is not no thing.   PLEASE, please, note the difference and go educate yourself on the scientific data first.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by DeepSight(m): 9:53pm On Aug 26, 2009
huxley:

1) 0 + 1 = 1

and

2) 1 = 1

There is no difference!!! Look at the equations carefully and understanding will come: it simply shows that 1 cannot be produced by zero and that is the first plank of my thesis.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by huxley(m): 9:56pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

There is no difference!!! Look at the equations carefully and understanding will come: it simply shows that 1 cannot be produced by zero and that is the first plank of my thesis.

If that is the case, why did you start your argument with 0 + 1 = 1 ? Why did you not start with 1 = 1, or A = A? Are you familiar with Ockam's razor? Why introduce extrenous elements when they are not necessary?
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by mazaje(m): 9:57pm On Aug 26, 2009
Jagoon:

@mazaje
If as intelligent and knowledgeable we humans popurtably are we can not comprehend the make up of this planet talkless of the universe, it only makes sense it was put together by a far more intelligent being [God] as it is quite evident given the complexity of everything that exists, there must be an infinitely advanced designer/maker aka creator.

On what basis did you come to the conclusion that there is a more intelligent being responsible for the existence of everything? Even if we agree that there is such a being how does that being or force come close to any of the gods described by all the man made religions and their various hypothesis? The universe as it is makes all the gods of man made religions look completely insignificant. . . .The question now is what exactly do you mean by god? if you ask 20 different people what god is you will get 40 different answers. . . .

Everyone can understand the term "God", but when it gets down to what it is exactly and what they mean by that term the descriptions just end up as vague and arbitrary gibberish.
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by Krayola2(m): 9:59pm On Aug 26, 2009
Too many leaps in this argument. we can't accept shit that doesn't make sense. What u think this is, the village square?  tongue tongue

U can't prove shit. .  scientists and all sorts of nerds have tried for centuries. . . it ain't gonna happen.

want proof that God, if he does exist, does not give a flyin fukc about us?  look at all em starvin kids dyin of kwashiokor.

If God exists and i ever catch him I'll spit on him for lettin those kids have to live in his messed up creation. Incompetent asshole that he is!!
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by mazaje(m): 10:01pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

The expansion of the universe only shows that the universe BEGAN to expand at some point not that it is not eternal. . . . . . .
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by DeepSight(m): 10:05pm On Aug 26, 2009
huxley:

Whoever said the universe started out of nothing?  Can you show any reputable scientific source that says that?   As far as I know, currently scientific findings only says that the present universe was created out of a singularity.   The singularity is NOT nothing, or is not no thing.   PLEASE, please, note the difference and go educate yourself on the scientific data first.

I agree with you!!! I did not state that any scientist has stated that the universe started from nothing. Slow down, and you will understand my basic premises. We cannot jump too far ahead in a discussion of this nature or we will easily get lost.

I did indicate that this is a very profound discussion which needs to be taken step by step.

We both agree that the universe did not come out of nothing - very good! We will take it step by step from there.

huxley:

If that is the case, why did you start your argument with 0 + 1 = 1 ? Why did you not start with 1 = 1, or A = A? Are you familiar with Ockam's razor? Why introduce extrenous elements when they are not necessary?

I started it from zero, because you may not be aware that some persons would go so far as to contest that and state that it could have come from nothing. Like i said, we are building a pyramid here, every block has to be in place, dont worry, its 1 careful step at a time
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by mazaje(m): 10:07pm On Aug 26, 2009
Krayola2:

Too many leaps in this argument. we can't accept shit that doesn't make sense. What u think this is, the village square?  tongue tongue

U can't prove shit. .  scientists and all sorts of nerds have tried for centuries. . . it ain't gonna happen.

want proof that God, if he does exist, does not give a flyin fukc about us?  look at all em starvin kids dyin of kwashiokor.

If God exists and i ever catch him I'll spit on him for lettin those kids have to live in his messed up creation. Incompetent asshole that he is!!

You are making the mistake of assuming that the force behind the universe( thats is if there is any such thing) is the same as described by man made religions. . . . . The fact is that is false. . .there is NO reason to believe that the force behind the universe(if any such thing exist) is anything close to how it is being described or portrayed by man made religions. . . . all man made religions are just baseless assertions and hypothesis that only show the thoughts, expressions, ideas and beliefs of men as to how the think or assume the world or universe should behave based on a set of cultures, ideas and tradition. . .
Re: Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God by huxley(m): 10:10pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

I agree with you!!! I did not state that any scientist has stated that the universe started from nothing. Slow down, and you will understand my basic premises. We cannot jump too far ahead in a discussion of this nature or we will easily get lost.

I did indicate that this is a very profound discussion which needs to be taken step by step.

We both agree that the universe did not come out of nothing - very good! We will take it step by step from there.

I started it from zero, because you may not be aware that some persons would go so far as to contest that and state that it could have come from nothing. Like i said, we are building a pyramid here, every block has to be in place, dont worry, its 1 careful step at a time

OK, move on then! We are not kids here - do you think we are incapable of comprehending several steps in one post?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Skimpy Dresses In The House Of God? / Chris Okotie Celebrates His 58th Birthday Today / Praying For Someone To Die Is It Biblical?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.