Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,329 members, 7,822,582 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815019 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by omooba72(m): 5:36pm On Feb 13, 2007
@ Frankiriri , how r u ? Thanks for ur response to my mail hmmmm , pls let me know when any offer is out .
thanks , cheers grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gettolove(m): 7:23pm On Feb 13, 2007
@ OMOOBA
I WILL ADVICE YOU BUY THE SHARES NOW RATHER THAN WAIT TILL ANY OFFER COMES OUT, THIS IS BECAUSE THE MARKET VALUE OF YOUR SHARES WOULD MOST LIKELY FALL BEFORE YOUR SHARE CERTIFICATE IS READY.

I WILL ALSO LIKE TO MAKE SOMETHING CLEAR

I.P.O. - This is sold by a company which is not quoted on the stock exchange

P.O. - This is sold by a company already quoted on the stock exchange.

I do not mean to lecture anyone here but i saw a post about UBA selling IPO
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 1:34am On Feb 14, 2007
@ ghetolove
Whether one buys the IPO or not depends on the one's objective. If you are buying to hold for the long termi.e at least one year and above then it may pay you to buy IPO which would usually be sold at a discount to the market and you also avoid transactions charges which would usually be in the range of 4% of the transaction value.

It is better to buy on the floor when you want to take advantage of short term fluctuations in the market. Time your purchase close to year ends and other periods when positive information is being released.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by davest(m): 11:10am On Feb 14, 2007
thanks everybody
i appreciate your contribution

i want you people to be precis eon this , i have some free fund which i can use for say 6 month.
whcich stock can i put it injust two or three stock will be ok for me
i have 70k to play with
thanks in advance
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by omooba72(m): 4:59pm On Feb 14, 2007
@gettolove, Thanks so much for ur response to my question but really i'm buying this shares for a long term investment lets say for a minimum of 15-25 years let God spare our lives .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gettolove(m): 5:16pm On Feb 15, 2007
@
well its ok to keep shares for such a long period of time, but diversification of the investment would give you higher returns over such a long period of time.

@ frank
thanks for the info
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:03pm On Feb 15, 2007
@ ghettolove
U are welcome
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 7:42am On Feb 16, 2007
hello guys ,ETI lost about 38.57 naira to close at 142.50 naira yesterday,what would you say is a reason for this ,did something happen to the company to warrant the sudden great drop ? is it time for one that wait for price appreciation to buy ETI stocks or is it better to leave cos it might drop even further ? i need experts input here wink wink wink wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 7:45am On Feb 16, 2007
i would also like to know if anyone has the link to ETI homepage and also in what sector does ETI operate ?i understand it a foreign company .

by the way Mr frank our group site says its temporary unavailable oooh cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jesuseun1(m): 11:24am On Feb 16, 2007
hi guys ,for those that are interested in shares ,i think BOCGAS is a good stock to buy now.check the price movement.i think it will give good ROI.HAppy investing!
2/15/2007 4.43
2/14/2007 4.22
2/13/2007 4.02
2/12/2007 3.85
2/9/2007 4.01
2/8/2007 4.05
2/7/2007 3.86
2/6/2007 3.68
2/5/2007 3.51
2/2/2007 3.50
2/1/2007 3.50
1/31/2007 3.50
1/30/2007 3.59
1/26/2007 3.52
1/25/2007 3.46
1/24/2007 3.30
1/23/2007 3.15
1/22/2007 3.00
1/19/2007 3.00
1/18/2007 2.96
1/17/2007 3.05
1/16/2007 3.19
1/15/2007 3.10
1/12/2007 3.20
1/11/2007 3.25
1/10/2007 3.13
1/9/2007 3.13
1/8/2007 3.29
source=http://www.cashcraft.com/pricemovement.asp
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 4:09pm On Feb 16, 2007
@ jesu seun
What is your point. That a stock's price is rising does not on its own make it a good buy relative to other alternatives. The Capital market has been bullish, that is most stocks have been experiencing price gains, for quite a while now so you need to give more specific information about BOC gases
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 4:17pm On Feb 16, 2007
ETI stands for Ecobank Trans International. It is the holding company of Ecobank Nigeria and it trades in many western and central African countries.
Havent been following the news on ETI but I guess that you can get information about them from Ecobank Nigeria's web site.
I think you should be able to find the link on the thread listing Nigeria's 25 banks website.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 4:23pm On Feb 16, 2007
I just accessed it now.
So I guess the problem is over.
Just Keep trying, it must be a few glitches yahoo is having.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kingzy(m): 1:34pm On Feb 17, 2007
I bought Intercontinental bank, Dangote and Transcorp at their public offers for long term purposes but now I want stocks to buy for short term purposes. ADVISE!!!
I will have around #1,000,000(one million Naira) to invest in shares by end of march. Plz for those experienced in the stock trading, what stocks can I buy by then so that I can double the money within six months? Buying First bank, GTB and zenith bank's shares at a very high price , does it worth it bearing in mind that they will be having their end yr around june. Plz, analyse your explanation. I just registered with a stock broker but I don't want to rely on him.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 2:06pm On Feb 17, 2007
You can hold the same stock for short term and long term purpose.
To use this I adopt a principle called arbitraging. It involves taking advantage of a differences in the price of a security in two different markets.
I used this principle recently and reaped a handsome reward.
I had intercontinental shares which I bought at the 2004 PO. When they came out with their 2006 offer the price on the floor was N16.13 while the PO price was N13.5 So I placed my shares on the market and simultaneusly bought an equivalent number of units at the primary market locking in a handsome profit. At the end of the day the shares were sold for N16.94 resulting in a profit of over N3.44 per unit on that transaction alone. When my dividends and bonus are taken into considertion , the figure goes higher.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 2:10pm On Feb 17, 2007
You can hold the same stock for short term and long term purpose.
To use this I adopt a principle called arbitraging. It involves taking advantage of a differences in the price of a security in two different markets.
I used this principle recently and reaped a handsome reward.
I had intercontinental shares which I bought at the 2004 PO. When they came out with their 2006 offer the price on the floor was N16.13 while the PO price was N13.5 So I placed my shares on the market and simultaneusly bought an equivalent number of units at the primary market locking in a handsome profit. At the end of the day the shares were sold for N16.94 resulting in a profit of over N3.44 per unit on that transaction alone. When my dividends and bonus are taken into considertion , the figure goes higher.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 10:14pm On Feb 17, 2007
Hi

Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences to share about Cashcraft? (www.cashcraft.com). I recently joined them but I am not sure what to make of them. I need to know before I commit any more of my cash to them.

Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 3:43am On Feb 18, 2007
i have joined cashcraft and deposited 100,000 naira with them to try and see how there services are ,as am not based in niger ,my junior bros went there to see things for himself and they gave him the receipt of my payment and my account number with them which would enable me to monitor my stocks online on their website,they also created an account for me with CSCS though they told me i am not yet able to loging to any of them until i start buying shares ,i have also given them order to start buying shares for me from Monday (tomorrow) i asked them if they could send to me by email the receipts that they gave to my bros and they said they would do that .
i also asked my bros what he makes of them ,he told me that the way he sees it they seem to be genuine and are big firm,says they occupy the whole seventh floor of some building in lagos as their main office ,am not saying all these is what makes a good brokerage firm,but i hope they would help you to decide if u would deal with them or not ,also if you u need to0 contact someone from there ,i will be happy to link you up with one of their officials .
they are registered with the Nigerian Stock Exchange and even my junior bros is planning to deposit 200,000 naira with them ,he said this is because he like what he saw .
i hope this little info have helped you grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 3:48am On Feb 18, 2007
and i forgot to mention that they have nice website too grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 8:30pm On Feb 18, 2007
Thanks Egoldman, I have signed up with them, but so far I'm not impressed. I expected to receive email updates and stock picks, so far no joy! I was told I had to request this service. How can anyone request for something unless you inform them of their options?

Their service delivery/execution so far as I can tell is slow. I am waiting to see if they will improve, so far its early days.

I want to see how good they are at helping me achieve my investment goals. I would like to see them be proactive, communicate with me without prompting from me.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 8:42pm On Feb 18, 2007
omoba3 you are asking for too much mateĀ  wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 8:51pm On Feb 18, 2007
What should I expect from a company that will make money from me and both ways?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 8:56pm On Feb 18, 2007
to them they are doing you a favour cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by AbiD2: 12:06am On Feb 19, 2007
Newbie in the house -- Has anyone had experience with vetiva stockbrokers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kingzy(m): 3:38pm On Feb 19, 2007
I think u don't just deposit money with brokers and allow them run the biz for. I think they need ur consent for any buy or sell because it depends on the stock broker cashcraft will assign you to. Is he or she good and experinced in the game. What do you think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 6:13pm On Feb 19, 2007
in the form i filled to signup with cashcraft ,there is an option of "use ur discretion " and "confirm before commitment " so i think its up to the investor to decide if he must be contacted b4 any other is executed on his behalf .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 9:07pm On Feb 20, 2007
hello guys,
i finally asked my broker to buy me shares with my 100,000 using her own discretion,she told me that she has placed order to buy 2000 shares of first bank and 1000 shares of dunlop for me .
now she told me this on Monday ,but she also said that i have to wait till they buy the shares ,she said that the shares are not always available when one has to buy,she also0 said that i was placed on a kind of queue and they will buy for4 me when it gets to my number .
i don't know if this whole process is how the process works,so i would like someone to tell me if everything is being done accordingly here,I also asked my broker if as at when they buy the shares,will they buy it at the rate of Monday (the day she told me i have been placed on queue or will they buy it at the prevailing rate of the buying date ,she told me that it would be bought at the prevailing date on the buying date.
now what i don't like here is this ; what if i don't like the price of first bank shares and dunlop on the day that they were bought for me ? what if the price has gone up too much on the buying date ? i would like you guys to advice me about this ,i wanted to add another 100,000 to them ,but i don't like buying something at the rate which i don't know ,i thought that i should know at what rate am buying the shares .any advice would be appreciated .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 1:48am On Feb 21, 2007
just dont give yourself hypertension @ Egoldman

the only advice i can give is that, you tell her to contact you when it is your turn on the long queue so that you can confirm if you are okay with the current price wink

Most of these stockbrokers are not really trained brokers they are mostly rookies just learning and have to always check with their Oga aka big boss
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 10:02am On Feb 21, 2007
the samr thing just happened to me, was aimoming for access bank for N8 and ended up buying it for about 10.50 on the average.
even got first bank for N40

all i can hope is that imoukuede and jaco do their thingy well and make some cash.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 10:13am On Feb 21, 2007
@ Egoldman
When you give your broker the right to buy or sell shares on your behalf then you shouldnt complain about any purchases that they make. Dont give them discretion. Ask them to advice you on which shares to buy and then make the decision yourself. If you tell them to buy shares without specifying a limit there no saying what price you would eventually pay for it. Some brokers would actually delay in executing the purchase until the price increases to a predetermined price and then they would sell to you from their own stock.
It is better for you to specify a price or price range within which they should buy. You can do this by looking at the price list for that day and then asking them to buy at that price.
I want to let you that there is a rule that the maximum that any stock will gan in a day is 5%. So you can determine the maximum price increase you are willing to bear.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 11:22am On Feb 21, 2007
You can check for comments on stockbrokers on this link
http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/category/stockbroker-reviews/
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 11:38am On Feb 21, 2007
@ Omoba3
If the service is not going to cost you extra I suggest that you ask for it.
If it is then weigh the benefits.
Overall I support making informed decisions so anything that will help you pick stocks better should be considered.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.