Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,560 members, 7,823,481 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815114 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 9:40pm On Jan 19, 2007
Hi

Have you considered www.cashcraft.com.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 4:42am On Jan 20, 2007
omoba ,
i have been to cashcraft website and it looks quite pro ,i have emailed them and two of them people have replied me too and gave me their numbers ,i have been talking to one of them and have also sent some details for them to open an account for me with CSCS ,so far i would say they ok though am just a just6 a novice in stock trading
one of them brokers told me i could start from 50,000 naira upwards ,another says i could start from even 10,000 naira ,if you would like to have their contacts ,i would be glad to send them to you .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Dumsky(m): 6:09am On Jan 20, 2007
egoldman,
The call rate thing is just the interest like interest you get on a savings account or a fixed deposit transaction. Also a growing number of broking firms are now charging fees for verifications so don't be alarmed. It's the current trend.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bioye(m): 9:30am On Jan 20, 2007
I use both Afrinvest (Sectrust) and Cashcraft.

Afrinvest is highly professional and reliable. When I wanted to open an account, I just called the office and they sort of waived the minimum for me so maybe you should try that. The problem with them is that they have only one office in Lagos, and maybe 1 or 2 more outside Lagos, and you have to go to their office for all correspondence.

Cashcraft on the other hand has long had a great website, and they provide home service for you. Also, they have about 3 or 4 offices in Lagos - Ikoyi, Ikeja, Yaba so you can visit the nearest though you have to visit the head office (Ikoyi) for certain issues.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 12:33am On Jan 21, 2007
Thanks Bioye, your comment is good. I heard of Afrinvest by recommendation and that came with some good reputation,
On the otherside, cashcraft website is very good, but did not receive that much praise.

I was just wondering why the charge for verification, most especially, if they would be charging you on selling it in the future?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 3:34am On Jan 21, 2007
egoldman:

omoba ,
i have been to cashcraft website and it looks quite pro ,i have emailed them and two of them people have replied me too and gave me their numbers ,i have been talking to one of them and have also sent some details for them to open an account for me with CSCS ,so far i would say they ok though am just a just6 a novice in stock trading
one of them brokers told me i could start from 50,000 naira upwards ,another says i could start from even 10,000 naira ,if you would like to have their contacts ,i would be glad to send them to you .

oops
I got an email from them i thought it was a scam had so many "yahoo catchphrases", some spelling mistakes and different fonts hmm i guess i'll try again
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 4:56am On Jan 21, 2007
did u mail them and then they replied you,if thats what happened ,then its not spam or did someone maybe a friend send your email id to them so that they would contact you ?
otherwise it could still be scammers ,these days they can use anything ,dont you think they would be reading this post and trying to know how to use it to do 419 to some stock novice like me cry cry
anyways am trying to deal with some casgcraft person on how to start this stock thing ,well i could say so far soo good grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by moshsoft(m): 8:25pm On Jan 22, 2007
Hi all,

You've got great information on brokers here.

Can someone tell me where to get information of trading for short time?

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Dumsky(m): 9:23pm On Jan 22, 2007
Moshsoft,
If you're talking about onformation on picking stocks to trade you could get a copy of financail times every monday.
If you're asking about which broker to use, you can trade short time with any broker.

Cheers,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by AdaAda2: 7:51am On Jan 25, 2007
My stock broker is mhammering on about Neimeth Pharmacy and Wema Bank. I have done my own research and I am still stock on which to buy in huge bulk.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 11:55pm On Jan 27, 2007
Hi, i think it is abnormal for stock brokers to charge for verification. Mine doesnt and they are very flexible as they don't have any opening fee. You just need to go there with your passports and fill an account opening form after which a cscs acc will be opened for you and you can buy with as little as 5k. Any advise on hot stock. I am considering buying fidelity or tripple gee as they are really cheap and have improved in earnings. For the new comers in the game. Be careful and seek advice b4 u buy anything
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 12:03am On Jan 28, 2007
By the way they are Trust Yields Securities limited located on the 20th floor, Stock Exchange Building. 2/4 Customs Street Lagos Island. If anyone needs a number ill be happy to give that. i am bored, anyone online?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 10:59am On Jan 28, 2007
yeah nne am online grin grin grin grin anyshow ? grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 11:26am On Jan 28, 2007
hi cheexy, i just want to ask, does your broker do online tracking?, do they have a website?.

I sure will want their telephone number as i need a stockbroker that i can invest little with( i dont want to put all my 500 thousand naira on just stocks,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 12:40pm On Jan 28, 2007
Hi Gbenga, I feel you. The numbers are 012661541 and 01-4335864. Their website is still under construction as they are kinda small but very efficient. Any one online? I need opinions about Fidelity bank and tripple gee. I also need tips.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 1:06pm On Jan 28, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 1:30pm On Jan 28, 2007
Tripple Gee is a company that deals in office stationary but recently it was approved by cbn for printing cheques as cbn has directed banks to print new cheque books. From the lil i know, this will push the earning of the company and will affect share price. Within 3 weeks, the price has risen from 1.69 to 2.6. Even though it doesnt seem like much, one would make a 100% profit once the price hits 3.3 naira. Imagine investing 200k when it was 1.69 and going home with 400k when it hits 3.3 or higher. I still have to find out more about the company
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 2:19pm On Jan 28, 2007
Pls does anyone know about any good stock for both short and long term? I have spare cash. Thanks guys!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Dumsky(m): 3:05pm On Jan 28, 2007
Hi,
UBA, Oceanic bank, Zenith, Ashaka and Wapco look good for short term.
Transcorp, Crusader insurance, Fidelity, Guinness, Nigerain Breweries are a few very good ones for the long term.

Cheers,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 3:37pm On Jan 28, 2007
Thanks Dumsky, what do you know about tripple gee? Personally i think transcorp is more for short term than long term. smiley[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 1:39pm On Jan 29, 2007
@cheexy
Transcorp is definately a long term stock. With the prospects for oversubcription of its IPO and the losses forseen for the first three years there would be nothing driving its price up in the short term i.e the next 6 months or 1 year.
Even the general bull run in the market I would rather put my money elsewhere (in stocks like Oceanic,UBA, Dangote) than in Transcorp.
If at all I buy Transcorp it will be in the next 2 years when their path will be clearer
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aniffy4eva(m): 2:54pm On Jan 29, 2007
i read through most of the posts and noted that quite a number of people are more interested in going into stocks without first understanding some basics.

Making money in shares is basically one way to make/multiply money.(there are other ways, ), however, i'll suggest that before you pick up a phone to call your stockbroker, there's something you shd do,

ie, Buy a shirt!!

i know it sounds funny, especially when you are trying to reconcile a shirt to stocks, let me explain, cheesy

When you want to buy a shirt, you look at the size (if it suits you), you look at the quality, you also think of the other clothes you have at home (to see if it combines well with them, ).you think about the price (if you can get the same one/quality for a cheaper price). If you can answer all these affirmatively, then you go ahead to pay for the shirt,
A share/stock is no different,

You think of how much it'll cost you, what will make the price higher in the future (b'cos Seun said so doesn't sount tongue), can it continue to make money (ie the company), how?? beacuse when you are buying a share/stock, you are buying into the ownership of the company, so no matter how little you are paying for, you are giving up your hard-earned cash for a piece of the action,

I could go on for ages, just ponder on the points listed above,

Stay wise!! kiss
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Amjiving: 4:48pm On Jan 29, 2007
cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Amjiving: 4:50pm On Jan 29, 2007
cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 4:57pm On Jan 29, 2007
Good point. Good analogy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:38pm On Jan 29, 2007
frankiriri:

With the prospects for oversubcription of its IPO . . .

Don't be too sure about transcorp's shares being over-subscribed. See below:

Transnational Corporation of Nigeria Plc. Initial Public Offering (IPO) Extended to Thursday, February 15, 2007.

Thank you for your interest in the TransCorp initial public offering.

Please be informed that TransCorp has received approval from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for the extension of the float till Thursday, February 15, 2007. Previously, the offer was scheduled to close on Wednesday, January 31, 2007.

To learn more about the initial public offering, please visit www.transcorpnigeria.com/ipo . All links on the IPO page have been activated and visitors may read or download all content. The Multimedia Road Show Presentation may now be viewed.

If you have any questions related to investing in the IPO, please contact me. However, clarification or support for investment decisions can only be given by an accountant, lawyer, investment advisor or other trusted counselor. TransCorp does not give investment advice.

Once again, thank you for your sustained interest in becoming a shareholder of Transnational Corporation of Nigeria Plc.

This smacks of a lack of sufficient interest in the IPO, if you ask me.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oshkosh(m): 11:27pm On Jan 29, 2007
If I remember correctly, the private placement was extended by many weeks and ended up being oversubscribed by over 300%. Zenith bank have had theirs extended in the past too, as well as other companies, so don't draw your conclusions just yet.

Transcorp aims to expand / extend ownership to as many Nigerians as possible. This is strategic.

This , in addition to need for working capital for the execution of projects is the reason the IPO is this big. Apparently the biggest in history.

I'm convinced that TransCorp will be the surprise investment of the year. But that's just me and my instincts that have served me remarkably well in the past. However, I believe we've elaborated on this company enough. Those concerned that TransCorp posses to much of a risk at this stage in it's existence, PLEASE DO NOT invest, not just yet anyway wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 12:09am On Jan 30, 2007
In Naija the fact that a public offer is extended does not mean that the issuers are having problem raising the money. In most of the instances the issuers may have realised that by extending the offer a bit they could increase the rate of oversubcription of the issue.  This would definately create demand for the shares just after the offer closes.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Dumsky(m): 8:41am On Feb 01, 2007
@ Cheexy,
I think the question on why transcorp is percieved as being long term has been answered. However as regarding triple gee, i think it will make a good buy as it's a stock that has a lot of potentials.
Sorry for the delay in replying.

Cheers,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gettolove(m): 5:04pm On Feb 01, 2007
@ everyone

RETURN ON INVESTMENT
What does every investor intend to get from his/her investment? profit of course. I know dividend is a form of profit but we all agree that the amount most companies pay as dividend would almost discourage anyone form buying shares.
some individuals keep shares basically because they want to keep their money.

TRADING OF SHARES
I will want to state that this is a better way of making money from buying shares compared to waiting for divided as in the case above, trading basically entails smart decision making, effective stock broker and some level of risks. I must also make it clear that for one to make cool money through trading, one would need a lot of money in order to acquire substantial units of shares.

INVESTING IN TRUST FUNDS
This is quite different from the two mentioned above because investors are expected to keep their money for a long term purpose, i will advise you to set aside a certain amount from your salary or from your business and put it in any trust fund of your choice, after five or ten year you can buy land or use the money or a car of your dream.

you can only sell at an amount less than the market value.

e.g    

offer price   2.00k    ( PRICE AT WHICH YOU CAN BUY MORE)
bid   price    1.50k   ( PRICE AT WHICH YOU CAN REDEEM YOUR SHARES)

ANALYTICAL EXAMPLE

I invested 50k in discovery fund in august 2006, as at jan 2007 my investment is now worth more than 69k.        
www.armdiscoveryfund.com/

INVESTMENT IN REAL ESTATE/ LAND

This is the most lucrative form of investment, although it requires huge capital as against buying shares but one can take a big step by starting from trading with a minimum of 50k.

WAKE UP GUYS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 6:23pm On Feb 01, 2007
whao, i didnt discover that you can earn returns on arm disc, to that tune. I guess i will have to increase my portfolio with them.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ayocom1(m): 6:36pm On Feb 01, 2007
I see all this discrimination as a means of screening, and all these are as a result of few employers against myriad of job seekers.
I WILL ADVISE OUR YOUTH TO BEGIN TO THINK OF STARTING SOMETHING NO MATTER HOW SMALL, WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS DO NOT REMAIN SMALL. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.