Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,280 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816707 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:21pm On Nov 01, 2007
yodiyokun:

Seriously,

Is Wema cheap now at 11 naira, based on this Q1 result? and with the impending offer on the horizon?

It all dpends on the size of the offer. I hope they don't go for N100B. If you don't own it already, I'd say you missed the boat. There is still some risk associated with buying now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:21pm On Nov 01, 2007
easimoni:

Anybody notice Transcorp broke it's N4.00 support for 2 days in a row?

Also notice the 9 months for ins coys are coming out? Good stuff!

Transcorp - Yes, I was also curious and surprised that it dipped as much as 5% at some point today.

Insurance - I have seen Cornerstone which was good, Have you seen any other recent one, ?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:29pm On Nov 01, 2007
pumping777:

Based on Q1 result Wema is definitely cheap.

if we bring in the mix of the PO could be a different story only if the stock goes on TS in the next few days.

But the real question is if you think Wema has already applied to go to the market, ? I believe the PO is possible again till at least January next year so they may not apply so early. If not, I don't see the price staying at 11 Naira.

If this stock does not go on TS, the price rise will be such that the offer from the PO may still be over 11 Naira.

Talking strategy i cant fault thtose guys at WEMA they 'tested' the waters with the release of the not so favourable  FY 2007 results and then decided to release the 'expected' results before the share price sustains mortal damage that is in my book a stroke of ingenuity

They wouldnt want to approach the market too soon for the simple fact that all these IPO/PO's are swirling round and they dare not go head-head with the big boys so i'm looking at early next year and  they would like to  milk the feel-good factor  now they are on course for a record performance and drive up the price as high as they could  and then give us a 'discount' for the public offer.

I think i'm going on BUYING spree the price has only got one way to go and that is up
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:32pm On Nov 01, 2007
easimoni:

It all dpends on the size of the offer. I hope they don't go for N100B. If you don't own it already, I'd say you missed the boat. There is still some risk associated with buying now.

I am worried about the size of the offer, but I do not expect them to go on technical suspension just yet, they need to rebuild investors confidence. I was actually expecting them to release 6 months result not just Q1 only.

Well I missed the boat when it was N5 . It has been hovering between N9-11 for months now.

I think the risk is now reduced based on the release of their result, they can only do better, I am just wary of the dilution from PO.

I will place an order against tomorrow just to buy chicken change units. Let see what happens in the next 1-2 weeks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 5:37pm On Nov 01, 2007
looks like the HOLD descion was the best one,

my broker confirmed the news that they were buying their stock for a while and he expects to go on TS soon,

looks like Nigerian german is on the move
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 5:38pm On Nov 01, 2007
@ all
Wema's result is just too good to be true!
That 1st quarter result was more than 2006 full year PAT.

@Tmoni,
i will be waiting for my bottle of champaigne
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:50pm On Nov 01, 2007
Tmoni:

looks like the HOLD descion was the best one,

my broker confirmed the news that they were buying their stock for a while and he expects to go on TS soon,

looks like Nigerian german is on the move

I hope WEMA will be smart enough to wait for Zenith and Bank PHB to finish their own b4 they approach the market. The only people that will look at them are those that think its better to buy a stock because its "cheap", moreover they do not have the same drive that Zenith and PHB has to aggressively market their wares.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:50pm On Nov 01, 2007
Temmie10:

@ all
Wema's result is just too good to be true!
That 1st quarter result was more than 2006 full year PAT.

@Tmoni,
i will be waiting for my bottle of champaigne

Yes o. On the other hand FY PAT for 2006 was low because of the provision made for risk assets. Gross earnings was 26.4 Billion which should not translate to a PAT 2.6 Billion. Afterall it is not a manufacturing company. ;
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:50pm On Nov 01, 2007
yodiyokun:

I am worried about the size of the offer, but I do not expect them to go on technical suspension just yet, they need to rebuild investors confidence. I was actually expecting them to release 6 months result not just Q1 only.

Well I missed the boat when it was N5 . It has been hovering between N9-11 for months now.

I think the risk is now reduced based on the release of their result, they can only do better, I am just wary of the dilution from PO.

I will place an order against tomorrow just to buy chicken change units. Let see what happens in the next 1-2 weeks.

Haba! you no dey satisfied with 1Q result of N2.9B that is more than the FY PAT for Sterling and Skye banks combined
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 5:55pm On Nov 01, 2007
It's been quite an eventful and excrutiating week for us with the news of Wema's bad and good news.Then this Zenith bomb!
Stock investment and broking is sweetest on Nairaland cheesy
I no go die for this place ooo
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by husu(m): 6:00pm On Nov 01, 2007
I hope WEMA will be smart enough to wait for Zenith and Bank PHB to finish their own before they approach the market. The only people that will look at them are those that think its better to buy a stock because its "cheap", moreover they do not have the same drive that Zenith and PHB has to aggressively market their wares.

What do u mean by that,is zenith coming to the market?.Meanwhile saw dangote flour at 9 naira, is it true.?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 6:12pm On Nov 01, 2007
CORNERSTONE INSURANCE PLC UNAUDITED THIRD QUARTER RESULT FOR THE PERIOD 30 SEPT 2007

TURNOVER      change   %
2007- 2.344   0.361b   18.20
2006-1.983

PBT   2007- 0.820      745%
        2006-0.097

PAT  2007-0.570 2006-0.060  change-0.510 :%=850%
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 6:13pm On Nov 01, 2007
Abeg Oga ,where u see Dangote for that price?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 6:17pm On Nov 01, 2007
Abeg Oga ,where u see Dangote for that price?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 6:21pm On Nov 01, 2007
@ WEMA fans
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 6:27pm On Nov 01, 2007
The Wema story has lately been a roller-coaster ride 4 every one (incl me) STUBBORNLY HOLDING on to its shares! 2 days ago, was saying 'WEMA sucks', now WEMA rocks! With the fundamentals supporting the price now & upwards to N15 circa, let's hope that there would be nuff mkt momentum & sentiments (Afribank kind of, grin) to push the price to the target price!!

Fundamentals wise, WEMA is now one of the cheapest banking stocks (going forward) alongside Diamond Bank; Zenith Bank (Pre IPO ); ETI & Access Bank (Pre Allotment). Happy and safe investing!! For me no shaking @ all, as long as the fundamentals, technicals & sentiments agree!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 7:14pm On Nov 01, 2007
And Iwerebor is strangely silent wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 7:18pm On Nov 01, 2007
husu:

What do u mean by that,is zenith coming to the market?.Meanwhile saw dangote flour at 9 naira, is it true.?

It's not true. Dangote FLour PO was for 15 and it's not yet listed. Did someone prophesy?

Zenith is under technical suspension and have announced plans for a hybrid offer. They will be in the market within weeks. Watch this space. Where's Frank when you need him?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 7:34pm On Nov 01, 2007
i feel like punching my compu.
sold my wema yesterday for N9.I0, now wema has started climbing the hills.
what a nightmare
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hispy99(m): 7:50pm On Nov 01, 2007
hbrednic:

what a nightmare

You win some, you lose some, take heart
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:55pm On Nov 01, 2007
hbrednic:

what a nightmare

Don't beat yourself to much. It was the first reaction of most of us.  I was only lucky because I was unable to sell on Tuesday or I would have been singing the same song. No one really figured that this result will come out so soon, so many were positioning to enter at a lower price. I was so sure the price was going to crash but Wema had a different plan.

Rubbing minds with my people here on Tuesday convinced me to cancel my sell order once it was not sold on Tuesday though I had no thoughts that a rally could come so soon.

This is why you can be so right in your analyis but timing will screw every thing up. We win some we lose some.

Something that may have escaped our attention regarding the behaviour of NSE. Can you imagine that Livestock Feeds has even been rising marginally since the disastrous FY results followed by the poor interim results? That is NSE for you.

Even for Wema we have to wait and see.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mee25(m): 8:01pm On Nov 01, 2007
No body has made any comment on FBN 2007 2Q report. N15bn PAT is very impressive considering the fact that they projected a FY PAT of N18.37bn for 2007. I think this is an indicator that FBN is going on the right direction.  tongue tongue

What about GT bank. Any news  
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:02pm On Nov 01, 2007
I am right here. Work schedule is so tight that before I could say Jack robinson., this thread was already three pages longer.
The Zenith TS caught everybody unaware. In fact I got the news from Zenith securities this morning just minutes before it was sent to us via our intra net.
I will definitely be saving up for that offer.

By the way I work there, so all those of you that would want to buy when the offer comes out can do so thru me.  ( At least make I meet target)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:08pm On Nov 01, 2007
I dont see Zenith coming to the maket too soon. For one Sec usually permits public offers to commence in an orderly manner. with Afribank and Bank PHB kicking off their offers this month, I dont see Zenith doing December.
Everyone would be thinking of christmas and year end expenses. Even institutional investors would have to pay christmas bonus and engage in other year end activities. So as far as I am concerned December is out. I would expect the offer in January.
This is my own opinion though (not the official position of the bank)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 8:12pm On Nov 01, 2007
first bank is doing good judging from their report, the suspence now has moved from wema to mr union bank.
when are they (unionbank) going to open their book?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:17pm On Nov 01, 2007
hbrednic:

what a nightmare
Hope you did not sell at a loss.
I think you need to detach yourself emotionaly from your stocks.
Once I  sell a stock I dont bother with myself anymore.
I sold Bank PHB at N3.45 and watched it rise a couple of months later to N30, I did bot envy anyone. I just reviewed my decision about the stock when their year end results disclosed fundamentals that supported that level of pricing.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:20pm On Nov 01, 2007
mee25:

No body has made any comment on FBN 2007 2Q report. N15bn PAT is very impressive considering the fact that they projected a FY PAT of N18.37bn for 2007. I think this is an indicator that FBN is going on the right direction. tongue tongue

What about GT bank. Any news

There is no surprise here if you ask me.

First Bank is still within the earnings projection. It may be exceedrf but there is no indication of a major depature.

Moreover, with the PO subscribers lurking in the shadows, the result is really nothing to get excited about. Can't they emulate Zenith? grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:22pm On Nov 01, 2007
hbrednic:

first bank is doing good judging from their report, the suspence now has moved from wema to mr union bank.
when are they (unionbank) going to open their book?

Union bank is leaving it too late. Before long we'll stop counting them with the better people.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mee25(m): 8:29pm On Nov 01, 2007
pumping777:

There is no surprise here if you ask me.

First Bank is still within the earnings projection. It may be exceedrf but there is no indication of a major depature.

Moreover, with the PO subscribers lurking in the shadows, the result is really nothing to get excited about. Can't they emulate Zenith? grin
Dont you think a FY PAT 0f over N30Bn is possile, having in mind the strong fundamentals of FBN; wishful thinking though
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 8:33pm On Nov 01, 2007
@ Yodiyokun,

I strongly believe what you said. It will be a wise decision  to buy some chicken change units from WEMA now?. So, when the P.O finally comes, one will be in a better position to buy as much as possible. Before I forget, where are you in Canada?.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 8:36pm On Nov 01, 2007
@frankiriri
i never knew you work with zenith sec bros.
my dangote share cert has been sleeping there for over 2months wating for verification?
even my balance for the un- alloted (6,000)shares from dsr ipo,whosai
please  i wonder why all the delays?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 8:52pm On Nov 01, 2007
Hello people,
This thread is dangerous. In a day it covers three pages na waoh.   Zenith why? Well Frankiri hope your postulations are right because man must pay christmas dues hence no investment money.
Cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.