Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,268 members, 7,836,213 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (119) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816691 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 6:44am On Oct 31, 2007
pls i would like to ask one question, to d gurus in d house,
someone that bot into first bank shares at 33naira, and now does not want it again and wants to get his money back at d same 33 naira, is it possible and how does one go about it , if it were possible. thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 7:18am On Oct 31, 2007
nkc:

please i would like to ask one question, to d gurus in d house,
someone that bot into first bank shares at 33naira, and now does not want it again and wants to get his money back at d same 33 naira, is it possible and how does one go about it , if it were possible. thanks

Very simple just wait till when the price is above N33(the stock is not my cup of tea so not sure what the price is) and sell so by the time the commission and brokerage fees are deducted you probably get your N33 back but get the share cert first

Very easy i would say!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by walcolm(m): 7:19am On Oct 31, 2007
nkc:

please i would like to ask one question, to d gurus in d house,

purchase of POs is a legally binding agreement and a firm commitment on your part and the way to get out is for you to verify your share cert and issue a sell order or a transfer order (if you do it directly at the registrar's office) to anybody who is interested in taking ownership of the shares
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 31, 2007
I think Wema should be able to post a minimum PAT of at least 8 billion naira going forward to June 2008 and this gives you an EPS of at least 0.8. Assigning a PE of 25 to this shoud give 20 naira which is not bad by WEMA.

The PAT this year should have been above 8 billion but due to problems with loans, etc which i think will not repeat itself this financial year.

I will buying more if it drops below 8.00 in place of buying FCMB. This may sound crazy to some people.
WEMA is still among top traded and may turn to bid if the interim results for Sept 2007 is good

I will keep my fingers crossed.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wittyangel: 8:22am On Oct 31, 2007
this is a welcome idea on nairaland i ve been waiting for this!u guys can visit this website www. meristemng.com. u can subscribe for daily market report and daily market list its a very good site. the company is a registered stock broking firm
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:59am On Oct 31, 2007
EMMAACHILE:

I think Wema should be able to post a minimum PAT of at least 8 billion naira going forward to June 2008 and this gives you an EPS of at least 0.8. Assigning a PE of 25 to this shoud give 20 naira which is not bad by WEMA.

The PAT this year should have been above 8 billion but due to problems with loans, etc which i think will not repeat itself this financial year.

I will buying more if it drops below 8.00 in place of buying FCMB. This may sound crazy to some people.
WEMA is still among top traded and may turn to bid if the interim results for Sept 2007 is good

I will keep my fingers crossed.

The year end for WEMA is March 31 so by my estimation their interim 6-month result for YEnd March 2008 is due any time(at least they've pushed out the 'bad' news) and that way we can project the forward PAT for the YEnd March 2008 so that should make up our minds for us. From some of the figures i have seen they have been amortizing their bad and non-performing loans for the last 4 years so i believe they  have now cleaned up their 'classified accounts'(another phrase for bad loans on their books i think) by making a provision of N8B for doubtful assets and liabilities they acquired from National  bank.
Anything short of market expectation they realise will be disastrous for the bank and i sincerely hope somebody from WEMA bank is reading all  the stuff we have been posting on this thread:-)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 9:07am On Oct 31, 2007
RoughCut:

The year end for WEMA is March 31 so by my estimation their interim 6-month result for YEnd March 2008 is due any time(at least they've pushed out the 'bad' news and that way we can project the PAT for the YEnd March 2008 so that should make up our minds for us. from some of the figures i have seen they have been amortizing their bad and non-performing loans for the last 4 years so i believe they have now cleaned up their 'classified accounts'(another phrase for bad loans on their books i think) by making a provision of N8B for doubtful assets and liabilities they acquired from National bank.
Anything short of market expectation they realise will be disastrous for the bank i hope somebody from WEMA bank is reading all the stuff we have been posting on this thread:-)

The problem has nothing to do with National Bank. The problem was with WEMA itself!!!!!!

If you are patient enough, WEMA will definitely come good.

The issue is whether you will wait for SURULERE when OLORUNSOGO is there!!!!!!

One thing that is becoming obvious on this WEMA issue is that a lot of people have not learnt to remove their emotions when making investment decisions. Sentiments still drive a lot of people.

BTW, anyone checked FCMB prospectus. Hope you noticed that Q1 assets was less than the FY 2007 assets. WHich shows that something is FISHY!!!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 9:26am On Oct 31, 2007
wanaj0:

The problem has nothing to do with National Bank. The problem was with WEMA itself!!!!!!

If you are patient enough, WEMA will definitely come good.

The issue is whether you will wait for SURULERE when OLORUNSOGO is there!!!!!!

One thing that is becoming obvious on this WEMA issue is that a lot of people have not learnt to remove their emotions when making investment decisions. Sentiments still drive a lot of people.

BTW, anyone checked FCMB prospectus. Hope you noticed that Q1 assets was less than the FY 2007 assets. WHich shows that something is FISHY!!!!!!

WEMA has  steadily been writing-down their assets for their positions on risk assets as follows;
N8.10B, N6.50B, N1.99B, N2.19B for 2007, 2006, 2005 and 2004 respectively.
So to borrow your words i like to believe that they have cleaned their books now!

Talking about FCMB i read the full prospectus and i think i made the point somewhere on this thread the major shareholders have leveraged (borrowed money from the bank itself) to fund their equity acquisition and for 2007 alone the sum involved i believe is about  N5B (why  don't i like that?)

Well i would like to believe their risk management framework( i think they have one!) will ensure the bottomline is not adversely impacted and what i found out also is that their projection for PAT for YEnd April 30 2008 will grow from N5B in 2007 to a whopping N15B in 2008(look out for the interim results!)  i think that's very aggressive personally
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 10:19am On Oct 31, 2007
Wanajo

your talks have so much weight on my decision ooo.  Though l count on Roughcut submssion, but whats your conclusion on FCMB?  l had concluded plans to buy by next week, but l don't mind discontinuing.

please say something again.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 11:38am On Oct 31, 2007
MyPeace:

Wanajo

your talks have so much weight on my decision ooo. Though l count on Roughcut submssion, but whats your conclusion on FCMB? l had concluded plans to buy by next week, but l don't mind discontinuing.

please say something again.

Just understand the risk associated with buying FCMB.

I hope to buy FCMB also.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 12:11pm On Oct 31, 2007
ok ooo, l will tread softly. thx
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 12:23pm On Oct 31, 2007
Zenith Bank Q1 Result

2006 2007 Change
Gross Earnings 28.861b 23.995b 20.28%
PBT 10.339b 6.419b 61.07%
PAT 8.064b 4.736b 70.27%

Nice one! Target Price - N60 circa smiley smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by scientist(m): 12:27pm On Oct 31, 2007
grin grin grin I NEED HELP IN THIS AREA AS WELL grin grin grin my mail address is:talktopaulinus@hotmail.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cgift(m): 1:28pm On Oct 31, 2007
FCMB is da bomb. Seen how they utilised the funds they sourced in 2005? How the share price grew from N4 to N19 as a rsult of their outstanding growth in earnings? Consider this: both their trailing (historic) EPS and PE as well as their forward (forecast) EPS and PE are far better than that of Fidelity. Check it our yourself. The various growth areas highlighted in their prospectus shows you what focus coupled with their longevity. I am buying for keeps just like I did in 2005 when I bought 195000 units back then. Sold a significant portion this year in millions. Keeping the rest to latch in on the immediate price growth after rlease from technical suspension.

Anyone wnats their form I can send it to you just halla your mail address now to me.

Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iwerebor(m): 1:30pm On Oct 31, 2007
What do you think about dangote considering that it is cheap compared to its peers in the Fodds and beverage sector and their plan to both double capacity in the coming months and open up factories in the coming fiscal year in Angola and Ghana?

Dangote Sugar has good credentials. Their earning power is strong so the price should jump. Looks to me like a stock gunning for the N60 mark with it's robust earnings.

dollarmani
PE is good but for me earnings come first. PE is moody, unpredictable and can be influenced by alot of things like RUMOR. Just a newspaper story on the proposed plan of a company can increase demand for the shares of that company because of those taking positions for a windfall. I think that leaves people open for manipulations.

For instance, the MD of WEMA, saying the awaited result will be "haywire". That single word influenced alot of people. Now those same people are rushing out falling head over heels.

Read up on what's called the DOT COM bust in the history of WALL STREET and you will see why one needs to be very objective in investments. People were scrapping up on ANYTHING that had a DOTCOM to it's name.

I just read the PUNCH article linked by Mr. EASIMONI on WEMA. I think the company has a future. You just need to think of what would have happened if those loans weren't there to be dealt with. Their PAT would have actually pushed them up close to the N20 mark. It looks to me like they will make it soon.

Two things though nibbled at my mind while digesting the content of the article:
1. They seem to have a history of bad loans. How did they get into that situation? Do they do a proper risk assessment before they give these loans?
2. They are looking to raise funds locally and abroad. That inevitably increases the number of shareholders which in turn means they have to drive up their profit aggressively. Question is can they do this?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hispy99(m): 1:45pm On Oct 31, 2007
Iwerebor:

Dangote Sugar has good credentials. Their earning power is strong so the price should jump. Looks to me like a stock gunning for the N60 mark with it's robust earnings.

dollarmani
PE is good but for me earnings come first. PE is moody, unpredictable and can be influenced by alot of things like RUMOR. Just a newspaper story on the proposed plan of a company can increase demand for the shares of that company because of those taking positions for a windfall. I think that leaves people open for manipulations.

For instance, the MD of WEMA, saying the awaited result will be "haywire". That single word influenced alot of people. Now those same people are rushing out falling head over heels.

Read up on what's called the DOT COM bust in the history of WALL STREET and you will see why one needs to be very objective in investments. People were scrapping up on ANYTHING that had a DOTCOM to it's name.

I just read the PUNCH article linked by Mr. EASIMONI on WEMA. I think the company has a future. You just need to think of what would have happened if those loans weren't there to be dealt with. Their PAT would have actually pushed them up close to the N20 mark. It looks to me like they will make it soon.

Two things though nibbled at my mind while digesting the content of the article:
1. They seem to have a history of bad loans. How did they get into that situation? Do they do a proper risk assessment before they give these loans?
2. They are looking to raise funds locally and abroad. That inevitably increases the number of shareholders which in turn means they have to drive up their profit aggressively. Question is can they do this?

Iwerebor,

Earnings don't tell you anything except it is scaled by something (price, total assets).  If coy A and coy B post EPS of N1 and 10k respectively, does it necessarily mean that coy A is better than B?  If Coy A is selling for N20/share and coy B 10k/share, then on a comparative basis, coy B has got to be better than Coy A if they have similar growth potentials.

I like Dangote, but not so sure it'll hit N60/share anytime soon; I think a lot will depend on how their expansion plans work out
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by drtonyo(m): 2:01pm On Oct 31, 2007
HIP, HIP, HIP, HURRAY!!!!!!! grin grin grin

WEMA BANK bounced back today.

It was on bid and sold for #10.04 briefly.

Gurus in the house , what's next.? should we still sell our shares or hold on till the half year results are out?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 2:08pm On Oct 31, 2007
drtonyo:

HIP, HIP, HIP, HURRAY!!!!!!! grin grin grin
WEMA BANK bounced back today.
It was on bid and sold for #10.04 briefly.
Gurus in the house , what's next.? should we still sell our shares or hold on till the half year results are out?

I'm tired of this NSE. One day Wema is on offer (80M units yesterday) and the next it's on bid? The sold N1.8B in shares today. Someone want's us to dump so they can buy. They must know something we don't.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 2:20pm On Oct 31, 2007
easimoni:

I'm tired of this NSE. One day Wema is on offer (80M units yesterday) and the next it's on bid? The sold N1.8B in shares today. Someone want's us to dump so they can buy. They must know something we don't.

Sold or is it bought(not sure now) 190M units today after gyrating between 9.10-N10.04 finally closing on N9.63 well why do i have the suspicion that someone or is it a group of people is/are seriously manipulating events?

Well no shaking two can play that game!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2007
If it the price keeps gyrating like a yo-yo as it is now i think it's safe to assume that no mortal damage will be done before we see the interim results
Monday it was a definite SELL now its HOLD fire
Nigeria we hail thee oh how i love my country!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mee25(m): 2:42pm On Oct 31, 2007
Can someone explain what is happening to the price of GT Bank both at NSE and LSE, it seems to be plunging down everyday cry cry s
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by omoboy3(m): 2:47pm On Oct 31, 2007
Guys,

which site do you use in getting current NSE trading activities?, The ones that I use (e.g. Punch) come 1 day later
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 2:57pm On Oct 31, 2007
i still do not feel its time to rejoice over WEMA although i am very surprised at this trend today,

lets see how the week ends with

i would hold my units until it doubles for giving me this heart attack,
its defintely long term
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollarmani: 2:59pm On Oct 31, 2007
omo_boy:

Guys,

which site do you use in getting current NSE trading activities?, The ones that I use (e.g. Punch) come 1 day later

Omo Boy go to www.nigeriansecurities.com. They have daily positons which they update daily and promptly too since i discovered it about a week ago, In addition,  U can create a portfolio and put in all ur current stocks, the quantity you have , how much it cost u and they will then tell you the daily value of your portfolio.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 3:04pm On Oct 31, 2007
Tmoni:

i still do not feel its time to rejoice over WEMA although i am very surprised at this trend today,

lets see how the week ends with

i would hold my units until it doubles for giving me this heart attack,
its defintely long term

Doubles to what price?

Well, I need money from WEMA for something else. With 1,195 deals, someone must be mopping up the shares. They better release an interim result fast. WEMA will surely do well but I see better options elsewhere instead of staying with WEMA. You must be prepared to do a lot of prayer and fasting anyway.

Well, if you are a technical trader, Zenith may be attractive to you.

Certificates for UBA bonus are out for those concerned.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:06pm On Oct 31, 2007
I suspect 1.9 Billion Naira worth of Wema would not have been bought by "ordinary" investors today alone so yes, do some people know something?. I have shifted to hold mode. This is hypertensive but very interesting. That there was a net gain in the price today is nothing short of a miracle.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by omoboy3(m): 3:25pm On Oct 31, 2007
dollarmani,

Thanks for the quick response

dollarmani Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians
« #3832 on: Today at 02:59:22 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Omo Boy go to www.nigeriansecurities.com. They have daily positons which they update daily and promptly too since i discovered it about a week ago, In addition, You can create a portfolio and put in all your current stocks, the quantity you have , how much it cost u and they will then tell you the daily value
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by AngelLily(f): 3:42pm On Oct 31, 2007
Pls i'd like some info on investment in stocks and shares, how to choose, buying and selling of shares. im really interested
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollarmani: 3:49pm On Oct 31, 2007
Angel Lily:

Please i'd like some info on investment in stocks and shares, how to choose, buying and selling of shares. im really interested

Start first by identifying a broker and setting out a sum to invest initially. I think a hands on approcah is best to sustain interest and to drive ur quest for knowledge. Once u state in the forum that u have done this and uo are trying to determine what to by. I can assure u , u will be inundated with ideas
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:12pm On Oct 31, 2007
wanaj0:

Well, if you are a technical trader, Zenith may be attractive to you.

That wouldn't be because of the 8.6B 1Q PAT no shaking graciously shared with us?  wink grin. It's very impressive. Shows they are on their way to N30B at FY. But let's not forget that they are setting us up for the N250B offer and 5B new shares will push the forward EPS to just under N2. sad
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:27pm On Oct 31, 2007
dollarmani:

Start first by identifying a broker and setting out a sum to invest initially. I think a hands on approcah is best to sustain interest and to drive your quest for knowledge. Once u state in the forum that u have done this and uo are trying to determine what to by. I can assure u , u will be inundated with ideas

Basically because it was on bid today and it gained 5% with little shares available. So with the result, this may continue for anotehr two three days.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 4:33pm On Oct 31, 2007
easimoni:

That wouldn't be because of the 8.6B 1Q PAT no shaking graciously shared with us? wink grin. It's very impressive. Shows they are on their way to N30B at FY. But let's not forget that they are setting us up for the N250B offer and 5B new shares will push the forward EPS to just under N2. sad
8.6bn PAT shocked shocked thats brilliant, might do a full year 40bn PAT. nav wa ooooo.
@` easimoni, my problem with wema now is not thatthey wont do well but they sure take a while to release their results dont they? that half year better come out soon oooo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.