Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,407 members, 7,861,147 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:27 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (137) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (820021 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:15pm On Nov 09, 2007
RoughCut:

Now we can assume the thing will hit N14 next week and if it goes on TS then is it a reasonable supposition to assume that the post TS rally will push it to N18?

Dont forget that they will likely release 2 or 3Q results before they finish the allotment next year and then if the TS is lifted i expect a rally if the results are what we expect

N14 Naira is a fair deal to me. I will sell 90% at that price.

I think also that if WEMA releases results in line with the Q-1 results, hitting N18 after lifting TS is almost a done deal.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:16pm On Nov 09, 2007
pumping777:

Yes, I was happy to see the further drop. I will be meeting you in the boardroom  grin grin

For one, Ikeja Hotel is inviting with a forward PE of 8.8. I really believe in numbers, The PP investors are taking profit.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Panadol(m): 3:19pm On Nov 09, 2007
@RoughCut,

How do you see BagCo? Is it a good buy?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 3:25pm On Nov 09, 2007
Panadol:

@RoughCut,

How do you see BagCo? Is it a good buy?
I think we are all agreed its expensive at a forward PE or it trailing PE of 22x but its your call if you still want to go ahead
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 3:27pm On Nov 09, 2007
pumping777:

I think also that if WEMA releases results in line with the Q-1 results, hitting N18 after lifting TS is almost a done deal.

You are thinking for me that's what i thought!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:33pm On Nov 09, 2007
yodiyokun:

@Easimoni

Crusader is making me cry oooo, I bought at 4.55, can u imagine,
Any money I have now I will buy more units to average my price lower, maybe by month end.

I think sometimes it's good when a stock one is holding is dropping in price  grin. Crusader for me is an example. If it dips below 5% of the price of my current holding, I will just buy more. If I think the price was good when I bought it, it is even better when it drops provided nothing has changed fundamentally. I don't think a rally at this time is any good anyway. It will be short lived. I want the rally when the bulls return.

Of course I can understand it's a dfferent feeling if you've already bought all you want of the stock.

As an example, I'm trying to get more Lawunion but the stubborn stock, though fluctuating has remained above my bid price for 2 weeks. I'm not happy about this though I already have the stock. I just want the price to drop so I can buy more 

Strange tactic but I think it works (sometimes  grin).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:34pm On Nov 09, 2007
yodiyokun:

@Easimoni

Crusader is making me cry oooo, I bought at 4.55, can u imagine,
Any money I have now I will buy more units to average my price lower, maybe by month end.

My sister, I'm a bit peeved myself. That said, with 50% of my Wema gone, it's creating a good buying opportunity I can now take advantage of. Dunno how to explain the drop sha.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hamabra(m): 3:51pm On Nov 09, 2007
@ALL,
I thik this is a good one pls i have got 100k pls advice on which shares to buy, thanks and God bless
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 3:56pm On Nov 09, 2007
pumping777:

For one, Ikeja Hotel is inviting with a forward PE of 8.8. I really believe in numbers, The PP investors are taking profit.

Thought they did an IPO. I just hope the figures are right. The owners of Ikeja Hotels and Tourist Company are the same and I don't think they are well managed neither are they reaping huge profits. Just be sure that the figures are right and thread with care!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 3:59pm On Nov 09, 2007
Chellarams still holding steady. Good one.

Capital Oil also still advancing.

Transexpress no surface for market.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by osazeet(m): 4:04pm On Nov 09, 2007
Can anyone in here advise me, if Wema bank will be good to buy at this moment?
i will be very happy to hear back from you, pls let me also know the reason why yes or no undecided undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 4:06pm On Nov 09, 2007
@hamanbra
Just take the pain to read the last 3-5 pages of this thread and ur questions will be answered.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 4:08pm On Nov 09, 2007
osazeet:

Can anyone in here advise me, if Wema bank will be good to buy at this moment?
i will be very happy to hear back from you, please let me also know the reason why yes or no undecided undecided
Not at N13-14 i think your best bet is if the PO comes out at about N8(you have to pray this happens)

The horse has already bolted on this one
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 4:09pm On Nov 09, 2007
while we talk of challarams and ikeja hotels
mr BOC gases gained 5% today,doing almost 10% this week alone.
are we not missing something?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by osazeet(m): 4:20pm On Nov 09, 2007

pls do u think is good to buy WEMA at present? when do u think is their ipo? pls enlighten me about them undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:35pm On Nov 09, 2007
osazeet:

please do u think is good to buy WEMA at present? when do u think is their ipo? please enlighten me about them undecided

No. Buying Wema now at N14 is not a good idea. The PO is rumoured to be at least N10. No idea when it will start.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:40pm On Nov 09, 2007
wanaj0:

Thought they did an IPO. I just hope the figures are right. The owners of Ikeja Hotels and Tourist Company are the same and I don't think they are well managed neither are they reaping huge profits. Just be sure that the figures are right and thread with care!

I think the numbers are right. Full subscription to the IPO would have resulted in 2.08B shares but due to under-subscription I am working with 1.73B. If the results hold, I think this is a hot stock.

As for profits, they've already declared pat of 395M half year but thanks, no diving in without caution.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by adeyinkat: 4:41pm On Nov 09, 2007
osazeet:

please do u think is good to buy WEMA at present? when do u think is their ipo? please enlighten me about them undecided

Please just go through the last 5 pages of this topic and your question will be completely answered. Anyways, methinks you should wait for the PO which might be early in the new year (just a hunch o!) @ 9-10 naira!

However, if you can bear the risk of staking out for a post PO bullish run (certainly not for me), then I wish you Godspeed. For me, 13naira is a high price to enter without seeing the interim results o!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by osazeet(m): 4:42pm On Nov 09, 2007
pls u seem to have alot of idea about our capital market, i think the problem with ipo is their delay in their release of certificates, what about FIDELITY BANK? pls advise me properly. i really want to make u a friend, i,m a small investor trying to grow real big, i need pple like u to be my friends  and to share it with during harvest times as well. thanks for ur understanding. wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by adeyinkat: 4:54pm On Nov 09, 2007
osazeet:

please u seem to have alot of idea about our capital market, i think the problem with ipo is their delay in their release of certificates, what about FIDELITY BANK? please advise me properly. i really want to make u a friend, i,m a small investor trying to grow real big, i need people like u to be my friends and to share it with during harvest times as well. thanks for your understanding. wink

See my life o! I'm not yet the top Guru, I think some other regular posters will do as your mentor at this moment. Wanajo, Pumping77, Roughcut, Easimoni, Please attach yourself to these guys fast!

However, I think good IPOs/POs are the best investments for a greenhorn entering the market (personal opinion) and bar the prospectus, WEMA looks to be one of them. Also check FCMB, BankPHB (coming soon to a market near you) etc.

So good hunting my brother. wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Panadol(m): 5:01pm On Nov 09, 2007
@All

What is the current EPS for BagCo?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by springss: 5:27pm On Nov 09, 2007
pumping777:

@ springss

Interesting situation you are in. This is how I see it.

Your short term is 2 months and you bought UBA at 53 Naira. I don't see the likelihood that you will make profit in this short term based on todays price.

You are looking for a rise of 7% to break even, which means the stock  price has to rise to about 56 Naira before middle of Jan 08. The chances are there but quite slim.

Just remember that while you are hoping to recover your 7% and make a profit and you are also exposed to further loss.

UBA promised a PAT of 17B for 2007 and now and projections are now based on almost 24B. I will be amazed if they go ahead to even exceed this 24B. If this 24B or greater amount is announced early enough, I think you can still make it. Those that are in for the long term will still take position and this should reflect positively on the price.

Th right thing to do will be to sell now but all said and done, this is what I will do since I like taking risks as they come.

If you really 2 months to wait, wait it out. This 7% rise can happen in quick succession of for no unknown reason and you can quickly cash out and cut your losses especially if the results are released. Even if you are able to recover 3-4% it is still something provided you don't have something that can generate income if you sold today.

@Pumping777, Gees, thanks for your advice. I guess, I'll just wait and see which way UBA goes in the next few weeks. Cheers everyone, this forum is simply brilliant!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:29pm On Nov 09, 2007
adeyinkat:

(coming soon to a market near you) etc.

=

grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 6:08pm On Nov 09, 2007
Food for thought!!!

According to NSE DG on TV today, about 5 banks recently submitted application re. public offers and were told to hold fire for now till NSE seeks further clarification with the CBN re. the likely adverse effects of this avalanche of banks' POs on the economy etc

Besides, she opined that the banks are beginning to muscle-out the mfging companies etc from successful outing of their respective IPOs and that this has to be swiftly mitigated.

More importantly, the govt is beginning to seriously moan , ! And everyone seems to have serious reservation against banks coming back to the market the second/third time all within 3 years. Question is - what happenned to the 3 year biz plan they submitted in their then prospectus during their initial IPOs/POs (, coming back to the market wasn't part of the plan?? I tire o!!).

Anyway, let's see how the whole situation would unfold itself , This is 9ja! We've heard all these b4!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 6:24pm On Nov 09, 2007
@yodiyokun
FirstInland is somewhat similar to wema,
poor result, lotsa write downs. I wont be surprised if we eventually see a current year result shines.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 6:39pm On Nov 09, 2007
no_shaking:

Food for thought!!!

According to NSE DG on TV today, about 5 banks recently submitted application re. public offers and were told to hold fire for now till NSE seeks further clarification with the CBN re. the likely adverse effects of this avalanche of banks' POs on the economy etc

Besides, she opined that the banks are beginning to muscle-out the mfging companies etc from successful outing of their respective IPOs and that this has to be swiftly mitigated.

More importantly, the govt is beginning to seriously moan , ! And everyone seems to have serious reservation against banks coming back to the market the second/third time all within 3 years. Question is - what happenned to the 3 year biz plan they submitted in their then prospectus during their initial IPOs/POs (, coming back to the market wasn't part of the plan?? I tire o!!).

Anyway, let's see how the whole situation would unfold itself , This is Nigeria! We've heard all these before!!!

Manufacturing firms don't need to raise equity, they can use debt especially with the stability of the exchange rate and fall of interest rate. With well capitalised banks, the environment has changed. While I understand the concerns of the manufacturing companies, if they are good enough, let them come. Dangote came, BAGCO is coming even Ja Paul did teh same thing. May and Baker came last year. Eterna Oil did the same this year. So no point complaining. They should compete for the funds. We don't want another Onwuke Intertek type of IPO's again.

As per the banks business plans, you fine tune based on current realities. The  banks can now see the opportunity in being big so they don't want to waste time. You you do, you will get swallowed like IBTC.

Don't forget that CBN also modified the rule by talking about the $1bn shareholders fund to manage the reserves. Who will not want to manage the reserves. $500m is not  a joke.

Expect the banks to get bigger. Plan of CBN is to have Nigerian banks in the top 50-100. He said this some two years ago. So we better prepare for more of the offers, GDR, debt etc. With FG saying that JV funds for the oil industry will now be sourced through banks, you will soon see the banks going for $10b shareholders funds. If FBN took all its subscription, they will be close to the $5bn mark by now! Mind you First Bank last came to the market 2003 and that was even a rights issue.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 6:45pm On Nov 09, 2007
Wanaj0
Thanks for the response sure you do have better sources of info than I have. Please continue to share it with us. I just wanted some detail which you released even though just a bit.
Don't forget i said they should be making huge profit from what i saw on the website.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 6:47pm On Nov 09, 2007
no_shaking:

Food for thought!!!

Anyway, let's see how the whole situation would unfold itself , This is Nigeria! We've heard all these before!!!

This is a welcome development. I strongly believe that the rate at which the banking sector is rushing back to raise money through IPOs/POs is gradually getting out of hands.

It's high time the regulatory bodies put a stop to this. They have succeeded in mopping up almost all the money in circulation and they are still yearning for more.

Nigerian economy can never develop without the manufacturing sector contributing tremendously and the manufacturing sector is the most important sector in every economy( every sector of the economy should run pari pasu).
The rate at which the banking sector is raising money, it will be very difficult for other sectors of the economy to develop. I think CBN and SEC just have to wake up and do something before it's too late.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 6:51pm On Nov 09, 2007
wanaj0:

As per the banks business plans, you fine tune based on current realities. The banks can now see the opportunity in being big so they don't want to waste time. You you do, you will get swallowed like IBTC.

I also think IBTC are "tired" of doing biz or their model is not strong because I cant understand how they run a top investment arm like IBTC and could not read the market trends to allow themselve to be swallowed.
I hope the Investement farm is still vibrant.

Thanks for the post
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 6:57pm On Nov 09, 2007
tonyjon:

Nigerian economy can never develop without the manufacturing sector contributing tremendously and the manufacturing sector is the most important sector in every economy( every sector of the economy should run pari pasu).
The rate at which the banking sector is raising money, it will be very difficult for other sectors of the economy to develop. I think CBN and SEC just have to wake up and do something before it's too late.

One of the key advantages of the banks is that they are financially adept so they can play the market better than the other sectors, The competition is getting unheallthy i think. Just hope the 2008 budget is implemented well so we don't have more UNTL's closing because of high cost of manufacturing,
Power has to be affordable
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:02pm On Nov 09, 2007
Geees:

I also think IBTC are "tired" of doing biz or their model is not strong because I can't understand how they run a top investment arm like IBTC and could not read the market trends to allow themselve to be swallowed.
I hope the Investement farm is still vibrant.

Thanks for the post

Peterside never believed in the consolidation exercise. He tried to halt it but like a moving train, Soludo pressed on. He still want to practice only investment banking. Not interested in retail banking at all. Rather unfortunately for Chartered, the ECO-Chartered planned merger did not hold. Hence they could only go the way of IBTC. Peterside simply cashed out by selling to Standard Bank. He is tired of the Nigerian Banking environment. He was basically left behind.

He is no longer the MD but now chairman of the new bank. Same wat TM Mbu was the chairman of Stanbic! Figurehead!!!

tonyjon:

This is a welcome development. I strongly believe that the rate at which the banking sector is rushing back to raise money through IPOs/POs is gradually getting out of hands.

It's high time the regulatory bodies put a stop to this. They have succeeded in mopping up almost all the money in circulation and they are still yawning for more.

Peace.

Manufacturing can always raise money. With the rule of underwritting all offers, who will underwrite most of the manufacturing companies? With bad infrastructures they are not attractive to investors. Check the NSE and see where the trades are. Even if the banks are not out, investors will rather buy the banks on the NSE rather than the so called Onwuka Biz type of manufacturing companies. The good ones still have takers. But it is no longer an allcomers affair. Ask Transcorp. At a time when Dangote Sugar and Dunlop were seriously OVER subscribed, Transcorp was a paltry 26%.

It is not the banks preventing the manufacturing from coming out. Dunlop, may and Baker, Dangote, Ja Paul just showed that. For those that cannot, they can go for loans at least the interest rate is coming down!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 7:08pm On Nov 09, 2007
wanaj0:

Peterside never believed in the consolidation exercise. He tried to halt it but like a moving train, Soludo pressed on. He still want to practice only investment banking. Not interested in retail banking at all. Rather unfortunately for Chartered, the ECO-Chartered planned merger did not hold. Hence they could only go the way of IBTC. Peterside simply cashed out by selling to Standard Bank. He is tired of the Nigerian Banking environment. He was basically left behind.

He is no longer the MD but now chairman of the new bank. Same what TM Mbu was the chairman of Stanbic! Figurehead!!!

So where does that keep the share holders,
I have faith in the Atedo man, guess i also have to watch Presco though he doesn't seem to be high up in management.
Cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.