Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,171 members, 7,835,913 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (140) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816654 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 3:31pm On Nov 12, 2007
guys guys guys

wema is great but the horse has bolted and for those of us who were on it when it did, enjoy the ride

to pumping, easimoni, roughcut et al,

been looking at dunlop , stock price in free fall since the highs recorded in post tech susp. bull run.

Are they a turnaround, or is there something i'm missing about them? what gives?

And whist we're on the subject, what about ikeja hotels that tickles the peeps in the house?

please enlighten a brother ageg fellas!!!

any news, results and info would be greatly appreciated

thank u fellas
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 3:58pm On Nov 12, 2007
Has Crusader insurance published their 3rd quarter results?

anyone have a link to it?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2007
CUTIX PLC UNAUDITED RESULT FOR 1ST QUARTER ENDED
JULY 31 2007.
2007 2006
TURNOVER N18.3m N246.0m
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION N43.4m N65.3m
TAXATION (N15.2m) (N22.9m)
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION N28.2m N42.5m

This stock did a high of over 22naira few weeks back when they did 1 for 1.
Now the price is 7.50
Please what does the above result say of the company's performance?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:29pm On Nov 12, 2007
alliednetw:

CUTIX PLC UNAUDITED RESULT FOR 1ST QUARTER ENDED
JULY 31 2007.
2007 2006
TURNOVER N18.3m N246.0m
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION N43.4m N65.3m
TAXATION (N15.2m) (N22.9m)
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION N28.2m N42.5m

This stock did a high of over 22naira few weeks back when they did 1 for 1.
Now the price is 7.50
Please what does the above result say of the company's performance?

Dwindling performance!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:32pm On Nov 12, 2007
yodiyokun:

Has Crusader insurance published their 3rd quarter results?

anyone have a link to it?

If anyone has Crusader, please share. Even just the numbers if there is no link.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 4:44pm On Nov 12, 2007
Japaul Oil Plc Turnover PBT TAX PAT
=N='000 =N='000 =N='000 =N='000
30-Sep-07 9 Mths 1,793,000 370,460 52,892 317,568
30-Sep-06 9 Mths 621,210 131,699 32,924 98,775
188.6% 181.3% 221.5%
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by donilors: 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2007
Guys, Can we see the bull in the insurance sec Hope it isnt to late to take position??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ichibanman: 5:48pm On Nov 12, 2007
Hello all,

Any info on GT Bank's half year result?

By this time, it ought to have been released, shouldn't it?

Price has been relatively stable for a long while now.

Any info?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by toyibanj(m): 5:55pm On Nov 12, 2007
easimoni:

Ol boy, I've issued my buy order and I'm waiting for my broker to confirm the purchase.
As per the Wema success, na God O! I'd never have predicted Wema getting to 18 when I bought in Jan. But it validates both things I always look out for in "home-run" stocks, just coming out of debt (or goodwill/bad loans or losses) and having a very (relatively) low forward PE. In both regards, Wema exceeded my expectations.
I've also sold 70% of my Wema. Let get over Wema and pin down the next "home-run" stock. I think Dunlop is a possible candidate. Let the gurus contribute.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RolandE(m): 8:09pm On Nov 12, 2007
THANKS TO ALL THAT ADVICED ME TO "HANG ON TO MY OCEANIC SHARES".
BIG THANK YOU TO PAMIT & TEMMIE10.
GOD BLESS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:14pm On Nov 12, 2007
Wema gained 5% today but closed with 90M shares on offer? It led the NSE on the net offer table. I guess the rational explanation is a lot of people are selling but they'll only sell at the full 5% gain for the day. Maybe the run doesn't last the rest of the week.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 8:24pm On Nov 12, 2007
fellas
thought u might like to see this, its new to me.
anyone got more info pls share

this is from champion newspapers
9 October 2007
Posted to the web 9 October 2007

Lagos

Joining the list is Crusader Insurance Plc which said that it has secured the approval of its shareholders to raise more money from the capital market It would be recalled that Crusader Insurance Plc was one of the insurance companies which public offer last year was successful.

The company had said that the new move was part of its growth strategy which would enable it pursue its diversification project into other financial services.

The approval, which was part of the major resolutions at the company's 37th Annual General Meeting, held in Lagos, included the resolution to increase the authorized share capital from N4 billion to N5 billion by the creation of two billion ordinary shares of 50 kobo each raking with existing shares of the company.

Shareholders also gave them the nod to issue by way of public offer for subscription and or right issue at a date and upon terms and conditions to be determined by the directors as well as to merge with or acquire the shares, assets, liabilities and undertakings of any financial services company or allied businesses subject to such terms and conditions as may be determined by the board
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 8:32pm On Nov 12, 2007
Wema gained 5% today but closed with 90M shares on offer? It led the NSE on the net offer table. I guess the rational explanation is a lot of people are selling but they'll only sell at the full 5% gain for the day. Maybe the run doesn't last the rest of the week.

easimoni,
why do u think this may be the case bros?

i actually think its heading towards N20 u know

by the way, roughcut suggesyed u are the man to talk to about dunlop and ikejahotels

whats the 411 on these guys? they look dodgy to me

what say u?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:49pm On Nov 12, 2007
easimoni:

Except there is suspension, I don't see anything stopping the price hits N18.

It could be investors with no clue of the half year results.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 9:07pm On Nov 12, 2007
pumping777:

Except there is suspension, I don't see anything stopping the price hits N18.

It could be investors with no clue of the half year results.

As always there will be many wihout thta info. WEMA has eluded me hmmm,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blest(m): 9:21pm On Nov 12, 2007
WEMA ! WEMA! WEMA!, AM HAPPY I BOUGHT AT 6 AND SOLD AT 11.51 TO INVEST IN MY GREATEST INVESTMENT SO FAR.MARRIED MY WIFE IN SEPTEMBER WITH THE PROCEEDS. SO GUYS ENJOY YOUR BULL RIDE, AS FOR ME, WAITNG FOR THE NEXT BULL RIDE TO JUMP ON. ENJOY YOURSELVES, COS I AM. grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kingzy(m): 9:36pm On Nov 12, 2007
@All gurus,
Plz I bought UBN @36 and hoping to sell beyond 50. is it likely to hit beyond 50 before the 22nd of Nov?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pangolo: 9:41pm On Nov 12, 2007
Is this news on Crusader valid or not? We heard about Mbenefit and oters but nothing on crusader??
I found this link: http://allafrica.com/stories/200710090095.html

Easimoni, Pumping, et al Aeg Comment o!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:42pm On Nov 12, 2007
aktopgun:

by the way, roughcut suggesyed u are the man to talk to about dunlop and ikejahotels

whats the 411 on these guys? they look dodgy to me

what say u?

Dunlop, I can't fully speak to. But here goes; they had a PO last year and promised to use the proceeds to pay off debts related to the construction of a new factory. The factory is now complete and the losses they've been incurring will come to an end. Dunlop will see a sudden turn-around in fourtune but I think it's too soon to jump on the train. The losses (so far) were bigger than expected and the PO was oversubscribed (more mouths shares to feed). They will be hard-pressed to deliver 10k per share this year (min I think is required to justify the current price) but will be positioned to deliver 25-30K in 2008. It hink the best time to position is sometime in 2008; try to time it before the good results start to come out. If you have patience, by all means join now.

Ikeja hotels; this is simply a short-term play. The forward PE is v low (11)  and the PO buyers are selling in multitudes. The free-fall must stop soon and the market will adjust it to it's fair value (methinks N6.50- 7). Not a long-term play for me (low growth. I plan to sell within 6 months (or whenever is reaches fair value)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:47pm On Nov 12, 2007
kingzy:

@All gurus,
Please I bought UBN @36 and hoping to sell beyond 50. is it likely to hit beyond 50 before the 22nd of Nov?
Union will be split on 19 Nov. People are buying to participate in the split/dividend. My advice: this week is the perfect time to exit. Union closed on bid today so it's likely to gain tomorrow. When it stops closing on bid, it's time to sell. But sell it this week.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:50pm On Nov 12, 2007
pangolo:

Is this news on Crusader valid or not? We heard about Mbenefit and oters but nothing on crusader??

Yes, Crusader will raise money next year. Don't understand what you are asking though! How will it affect the price? look at the banking sector for comparison.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:08pm On Nov 12, 2007
pangolo:

More insurance companies will hit the market next year and expect that this will mean on time declaration of "spectacular" results. For me this is very welcome.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:15pm On Nov 12, 2007
kingzy:

@All gurus,
Please I bought UBN @36 and hoping to sell beyond 50. is it likely to hit beyond 50 before the 22nd of Nov?

UBN is not likely at all to hit N50. Before the rise today, the price was generally falling last week.

Don't be deceived by the sudden gain in price today. It will likely be short lived.

I put ALL my units on sale on Friday but it did not sell because of my offer price. With the rise in price today, I was able to sell ALL.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:36pm On Nov 12, 2007
Ikeja Hotels -  I think it was Wanaj0 that made a comment about these two companies having the same management so I decided to check the numbers. I don't like what I see but let me get views in the house.

Price     Share Out    CAP     Proj Pat      Pro P/E   Current P/E

IKEJA HOTEL PLC                                        3.90 1.73 6.76 0.80 8.49 12.85

TOURIST COMPANY OF NIGERIA PLC         2.81     1.61 4.53 0.02 226.47 15.10

TCofN has a trailing P/E of 15.10 but based on the Half year result now reported, the projected PE is now 226.47!! A company that declared a FY PAT of 0.3B in 2006 has now declared a Half Year PAT of 0.01B!!

This is not a good sign at all. I'd hate to see such drastic turnaround for Ikeja Hotels.

So I think like easimoni said, if you're thinking of this, you have to be ready for quick in, quick out - short term.

I smell what happens to many small companies in Nigeria. Management charges expenses excessively to the company accounts (travel expenses, children's school fees, medicals etc) till the company appears not to be making any profit. Investors lose interest in the company eventually, and the Management buys almost everyone out. Over time, no matter how poorly the company is doing, the price is really not affected because the shares are now so illiquid.

This is not to scare anyone away. I'm also joining the fray for what it's worth but I will be toning down my commitment.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ben0524(m): 11:33pm On Nov 12, 2007
To all Financial guru's,

What is the meaning of CSCS statement and what does it look like?

How do you know if a stock is expensive judging by the E.P.S, P.E and current mkt price?

Is it right and possible to have more than one Broker?, if yes, how can one go about it cos im not impressed about the service my stock broker is rendering to me. if i ask her to get a particular stock for she will not get it on time till the price get higher than the amount i ve budgeted.

All GURU's in the house.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ben0524(m): 11:35pm On Nov 12, 2007
To all Financial guru's,

What is the meaning of CSCS statement and what does it look like?

How do you know if a stock is expensive judging by the E.P.S, P.E and current mkt price?

Is it right and possible to have more than one Broker?, if yes, how can one go about it because im not impressed about the service my stock broker is rendering to me. if i ask her to get a particular stock for she will not get it on time till the price get higher than the amount i ve budgeted.

All GURU's in the house.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:29am On Nov 13, 2007
Interesting

"Strategic trades cleared all available Union Bank offers, finishing with a 5% appreciation and unfilled bids." This is on Monday, 12th Nov.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 2:15am On Nov 13, 2007
I heard Wema Bank shares may go on Technical Suspension on Wednesday tomorrow and Guys please sell because it will not pay you to be in the market where it is suspended. Foward PE will not be as juicy as you think because of the short-term dilusuion of the shares.
Thank you.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 6:58am On Nov 13, 2007
easimoni:

Dunlop, I can't fully speak to. But here goes; they had a PO last year and promised to use the proceeds to pay off debts related to the construction of a new factory. The factory is now complete and the losses they've been incurring will come to an end. Dunlop will see a sudden turn-around in fourtune but I think it's too soon to jump on the train. The losses (so far) were bigger than expected and the PO was oversubscribed (more mouths shares to feed). They will be hard-pressed to deliver 10k per share this year (min I think is required to justify the current price) but will be positioned to deliver 25-30K in 2008. It hink the best time to position is sometime in 2008; try to time it before the good results start to come out. If you have patience, by all means join now.

Ikeja hotels; this is simply a short-term play. The forward PE is v low (11)  and the PO buyers are selling in multitudes. The free-fall must stop soon and the market will adjust it to it's fair value (methinks N6.50- 7). Not a long-term play for me (low growth. I plan to sell within 6 months (or whenever is reaches fair value)

On Dunlop as i mentioned on the sister thread they have now turned the corner they declared a half-year PBT of N83M and their biggest investment which is the new plant is now on stream(they invested N8B) and don't forget they incurred a lot of debts on this project which forced them to pay about N600M alone in interest charges now they have negotiated a favourable interest repayment and now they have the the cash from the PO and that will greatly improve their liquidity position going forward.

These all the hall marks of a company that is turning the corner and that is why i think  there's  a lot of upside to its bottomline and that is what we are investing in
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 7:09am On Nov 13, 2007
EMMAACHILE:

I heard Wema Bank shares may go on Technical Suspension on Wednesday tomorrow and Guys please sell because it will not pay you to be in the market where it is suspended. Foward PE will not be as juicy as you think because of the short-term dilusuion of the shares.
Thank you.

WEMA bank Year End is March 2008 so the full-year results should not factor in the shares that would be listed or the cash they expect from the PO.  On current form they are up there without bothering with the impending PO. They most likely would not have finished the allotment from the PO before they release the results for the full-year(confirm this from the prospectus whenever it is out)

When they go on TS it would be several weeks before the PO actually sees the light of day so i wouldnt bother myself  with something that has not yet actually happened the conventional wisdom is if you still have WEMA by the time they go on TS just position yourself to sell in order to take advantage of the post TS rally since you dont need to wait for the cert before selling and may be hedge a small proportion of your shares to lock in profit for post suspension bull run

You can start worrying about the the PO and the shares that would be listed  after the financial year and hopefully a lot of  us would be shot of WEMA by then(Adios WEMA)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bootas(m): 9:23am On Nov 13, 2007
o boy WEMA has really suprised mii o it gained 5% yesterday.for UBN IT IS A GOOD TIME TO SELL.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 9:49am On Nov 13, 2007
Easimoni, Wanajo

What are your stockpicks for 2008.

Me think that we should start projecting for a better new year.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.