Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,195 members, 7,860,289 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:56 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (150) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (819899 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:23pm On Nov 15, 2007
easimoni:

Notes from my S. Sheet regarding Law Union Shares:
1.8B shares PO was oversubscribed to 135.4% =2.437 B shares. Previously 1B. Total now 3.437B. NSE listed 0.637B supplementary allotment for oversubscription on Oct 3 07

@pumpiing, I used this easimonis spreadsheet to arrive at my 3.5B , I just rounded up.

About using 1.25 to multiply ---- see my life outside ---- I be auditor ooo I no fit do simple mathematics.  Go to go adjust that asap.

@Atkogun, The projections are based on their quarterly result released on the NSE floor. Though not cast in stone but should generally provide a basis for calculations.

e.g lest say PAT 1st quarter is 250M  --- we can safely assume that full yr will be 1B (250*4 qtrs) may be more or less.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:24pm On Nov 15, 2007
ololufemi:

Guys based on technicality and Fundamentals, I think that Crusader is a better buy.

Divide the Average PE of the industry by Crusader's forward PE and multiply it by the current price.

Also remember, they own a PFA pension Fund Administrator which would bring in more cash for them. N100 charge per account holder and 2% charge on pension funds assets being managed.

I'm riding crusader's speedboat on full throttle cruise,

@Olulufe e

Remember crusade accuqired new companies - we never see merger document oo, thread softly softly oo

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:25pm On Nov 15, 2007
easimoni:

Notes from my S. Sheet regarding Law Union Shares:
1.8B shares PO was oversubscribed to 135.4% =2.437 B shares. Previously 1B. Total now 3.437B. NSE listed 0.637B supplementary allotment for oversubscription on Oct 3 07

I'll check this out. I thought I had added this already and I also got 3.1 in the famous easimoni excel sheet but the difference is not so great anyway. Even with this adjustment, Lawunion today has a projected PE of 15.84 and Unic has a projected PE of 16.26.

easimoni, u dey send updated version of the excel sheet to your buddies se??  grin grin grin

Catch you all later. I've almost missed my flight. grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:26pm On Nov 15, 2007
aktopgun:

spreadsheets, columns, multiply by 4 divide by 3  

heeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllpppppppppppppp, my brain is on the fritz!!

not really, only joking
but it does sound a bit tech really

so i get a list of all the securities on an excel worksheet manually ? and then what columns do i include

hope this isn't stressing u out
have a look @ nigeriansecurities.com and the relevant columns you need  are

Current Price -- Outstanding Shares---Current PAT----Projected PAT---Projected EPS----Projected PE Ratio

I will yarn later how to project these ratios
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 5:29pm On Nov 15, 2007
pumping777:

The point is that a company that has released a Q-3 result is more likely to meet my projection for the full year. The closer to the end of the year the better.

Right! But there is always this long lull between the release of Q3 report and FY report (about six months atleast). As a short term trader, u can position yourself to clean out with the release of UNIC's Q3 report, exit and still re-position towards the release of the FY report. Or betterstill, exit afterwards to still position for Law & Union FY 2007 report. Anyway, my opinion though!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 5:31pm On Nov 15, 2007
Yodi Tokun

Can you send me the spreadsheet.

Ma email is teetall2002(at)yahoo.com

Abeg send am cause mine is nowhere to be found.

Thanks for the anticipated swift reply
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 5:48pm On Nov 15, 2007
Guys,

GT Bank broke the N30 resistance level today. Closed at N32.55

Sounds like something is cooking in there.

Are they about to declare their interim results and interim dividend.

I can smell something brewing

Easimoni, Pumping, Wanago, Roughcut, Amancheelie, YodiYokun can you smell it too.

YodiYokun please send the spreadsheet abeg.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 5:50pm On Nov 15, 2007
@ yodiyokun, easimoni

pls send me the spreadsheet at michaelakeju(at)btinternet.com

would appreciate it loads
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jenniB(f): 6:00pm On Nov 15, 2007
SEUN I DON'T KNOW YOU BUT BE A LITTLE MODERN cool cool cool wink smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 6:00pm On Nov 15, 2007
ololufemi:

Guys,

GT Bank broke the N30 resistance level today. Closed at N32.55

Sounds like something is cooking in there.

Are they about to declare their interim results and interim dividend.

I can smell something brewing

Easimoni, Pumping, Wanago, Roughcut, Amancheelie, YodiYokun can you smell it too.

YodiYokun please send the spreadsheet abeg.

Thanks

Yes, GTB's interim result is due and they will pay dividend but I don't expect the dividend to move up the price. Basically, with the Insurance funds being released, more money will come to the market. The PFA seems to be ready to invest also so expect a 'bullish' run. But you can be sure that what you are seeing now is 'artificial'. Some people are just playing the market. if you are not a 'market maker' and you are in for teh short term, you will get yourself burnt!!!!

Pumping, while I agree that a Q3 result evokes more confidence, be sure that you understand the company! Presco's 6months PAT result sometimes is more than the full year! In the days of the old UBA, some funny provisions just surfaced at end year that will almost wipe off the whole profit. Also, remember First Bank making N10bn provision in the last quarter for the IIL/NITEL deal.

While I appreciate that most people want to amke money, note that people are also losing money everyday on the NSE. Most people just keep quiet about the loses and lick their wounds silently.

For long term investors, look for undervalued stocks, with good management and corporate governance and prospect for growth. That is all that you need. 5 to 10 stocks in that category is all that you need to join the billionaires club. Forget about teh short term flunctuations. For those that bought Wema and were not bothered with the short term flunctuations after the poor result are laughing now (if they sold before the TS). Those that panicked and followed the herds mentality are regretting it now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 6:24pm On Nov 15, 2007
wanaj0:

For long term investors, look for undervalued stocks, with good management and corporate governance and prospect for growth. That is all that you need. 5 to 10 stocks in that category is all that you need to join the billionaires club. Forget about the short term flunctuations. For those that bought Wema and were not bothered with the short term flunctuations after the poor result are laughing now (if they sold before the TS). Those that panicked and followed the herds mentality are regretting it now.

@Wanaj0,

WEMA did not fall under this category.

To make the billionaire's club, you must have millions to invest na grin grin grin grin Abi, you be club member already?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 6:28pm On Nov 15, 2007
yodiyokun:

@Wanaj0,

WEMA did not fall under this category.

To make the billionaire's club, you must have millions to invest na grin grin grin grin Abi, you be club member already?

Maybe for you, but for me WEMA did!!!!!

WEMA was undervalued (I bought @ 3.53). Wema had to go back and get a Deputy Governor to be their MD. They went through restructuring and rebranding. They cleaned up their books. So they were undervalued, had new management and set for growth. For me those are the companies to look at not those being hyped by the media.

You don't need millions to invest to join the millionaires club. You only need to start early.

Not there yet but that is a target. Actually, that was what got me interested in the capital market. The thought of being a billionaire without stealling or looting the treasury!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oyenekan(f): 6:33pm On Nov 15, 2007
please does anyone in the house know when the technical suspension on Japaul will be lifted?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:02pm On Nov 15, 2007
NAHCO is inching upwards now. Getting to a SELL point. Part of the over valued stocks but due to lack of float, may still be able to sustain the price.

WAPCo is worth looking at for those in it for the long term
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 7:03pm On Nov 15, 2007
Am i the only one interested in number crunching for MBenefits. Gurus et al please lets discuss this one as well. I need their number of outstanding shares, Projected PAt for the year and if am correct they are yet to release their Q3 results.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 7:04pm On Nov 15, 2007
wanaj0:

Maybe for you, but for me WEMA did!!!!!

WEMA was undervalued (I bought @ 3.53). Wema had to go back and get a Deputy Governor to be their MD. They went through restructuring and rebranding. They cleaned up their books. So they were undervalued, had new management and set for growth. For me those are the companies to look at not those being hyped by the media.
You don't need millions to invest to join the millionaires club. You only need to start early.

Not there yet but that is a target. Actually, that was what got me interested in the capital market. The thought of being a billionaire without stealling or looting the treasury!

Leave that yeye MD--- sebi he resigned from WEMA initially to be the Deputy Gov, he is not a new blood per se ooo. But you hit the mail in the head, you bought Wema , at 3.53, crucial point.  Entry point is always important.

For me to enter at N10 was definitely a higher risk for me.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:18pm On Nov 15, 2007
yodiyokun:

Leave that yeye MD--- sebi he resigned from WEMA initially to be the Deputy Gov, he is not a new blood per se ooo. But you hit the mail in the head, you bought Wema , at 3.53, crucial point. Entry point is always important.

For me to enter at N10 was definitely a higher risk for me.

He resigned to take up a political appointment.

The gist that I heard was that Kola Ayeye was to be the MD of Wema but he turned them down. He was the MD of National bank before the merger but he was discriminated against on the basis of age. His refusal threw the board into confusion thus making them to force the governer to release the current MD. They new they needed a turn around strategist and very few people fit that bill. Kola Ayeye is top on that list.

I learnt that Kola just took up an ED job with Oceanic now.

Well, heard multiple entries and exit. The last batch was bought around 8.60.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 7:23pm On Nov 15, 2007
According to the NigerianSecurities website UNIC has a proj PE of 19.88, while MBenefit has 18.33 and the industry average is 21.94, so y all the interest in UNIC and not MBenefit. Also MBenefit own 25% of Abbey mortgages which is a player in the next emerging sector in the nigeria economy. people what am i missing before hard earned funds disappear right before my very eyes.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:38pm On Nov 15, 2007
kpineo:

According to the NigerianSecurities website UNIC has a proj PE of 19.88, while MBenefit has 18.33 and the industry average is 21.94, so y all the interest in UNIC and not MBenefit. Also MBenefit own 25% of Abbey mortgages which is a player in the next emerging sector in the nigeria economy. people what am i missing before hard earned funds disappear right before my very eyes.

I tend to look at the facts behind the figures. Don't know much about MB. Not sure of any startegic plans that they have. For UNIC, I know a bit about them. They are leaders in health insurance with their UNIC Health. They are also into emergency rescue with CRI. Added to that is the planned club/recreation centre that they are building at VGC.

UNIC is also one of the few companies that cleaned their accounts a couple of years ago. Also love the board (Shonekan is on th board and a major investor)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 7:42pm On Nov 15, 2007
wanajo

have u got a copy of the excel sheet with the stock being traded on it?
could u forward it to me pls?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:54pm On Nov 15, 2007
wanaj0:

Pumping, while I agree that a Q3 result evokes more confidence, be sure that you understand the company! Presco's 6months PAT result sometimes is more than the full year! In the days of the old UBA, some funny provisions just surfaced at end year that will almost wipe off the whole profit. Also, remember First Bank making N10bn provision in the last quarter for the IIL/NITEL deal.

As a rule I also check out the trend of quarterly earnings for a couple of years back. Right now because of the growth rate of many Naija companies, each subsequent quarter even in the same fiscal year is better than the last. This of course is not the case for all companies.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:05pm On Nov 15, 2007
@no_shaking

Back to UNIC. You see, taking advantage of interim or full year results is one thing and taking advantage of price is another.

Based on UNIC Q-1 result alone I felt a price of N2.35 was too low for the stock so I already took position then at N2.40. If Unic comes out with an even better Q-3 result all the better. Maybe by then UNIC will be N5 . I will still be in the game. I don't like chasing a stock after the good results are released and everyone is doing the same.

This is why I prefer to use fundamentals as against aniticipating good interim or final year results. See where it got me with Oceanic grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 8:08pm On Nov 15, 2007
@ Wanaj0 and kpineo

Is it true that M Benefits will be going on PO very soon?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:16pm On Nov 15, 2007
crazyT:

@ Wanaj0 and kpineo

Is it true that M Benefits will be going on PO very soon?

Don't know but I will not be surprised. Not among the insurance companies on my radar.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 8:18pm On Nov 15, 2007
wanaj0:

I tend to look at the facts behind the figures. Don't know much about MB. Not sure of any startegic plans that they have. For UNIC, I know a bit about them. They are leaders in health insurance with their UNIC Health. They are also into emergency rescue with CRI. Added to that is the planned club/recreation centre that they are building at VGC.

UNIC is also one of the few companies that cleaned their accounts a couple of years ago. Also love the board (Shonekan is on th board and a major investor)

WanaJ0,

In line with fact behind the figures, I was looking at May & Bakers 2006 Prospectus, and boy are they way off their PAT projections, and it dosent look like they will meet their projections for this year as well.

Was the offer over or under subscribed - trying to figure out the Outstanding shares and has the shares been listed on NSE this year?

Do you have any information on them, Honestly, I don't know how their price has been sustained at N11
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 8:20pm On Nov 15, 2007
Damoche07
Dont complain too much
This thread grows with infor in the market.
Todays own is that of NICON and Global Re, just enjoy the juicy info
NO KNOWLEDGE IS WASTED.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:23pm On Nov 15, 2007
pumping777:

@no_shaking

Back to UNIC. You see, taking advantage of interim or full year results is one thing and taking advantage of price is another.

Based on UNIC Q-1 result alone I felt a price of N2.35 was too low for the stock so I already took position then at N2.40. If Unic comes out with an even better Q-3 result all the better. Maybe by then UNIC will be N5 . I will still be in the game. I don't like chasing a stock after the good results are released and everyone is doing the same.

This is why I prefer to use fundamentals as against aniticipating good interim or final year results. See where it got me with Oceanic grin grin

Thought result was part of the fundamentals!!!!!

On what basis will you consider a stock to be low if not based on the EPS/ PE? Those are forecasted/estimated based on interim or final results.

I agree that for long term investors, it is better to get in before others because you never know when the movements will start. So, I tend to make a pick and just stay there. When I was picking NGC at <13.00, I knew that 20.00 is not far for it and nothing stops it from reaching 25.00. But I don't have the crystall ball to say when that will happen! That is the crux of the whole matter. I am willing to stay in provided there is no significant change in the fundamentals.

For those out to amke 'quick' money, you cannot use this strategy because you don't have the patience.

WAPCo, Dangote Sugar and Flour Mills are blue chip stocks that are trading below ther value. They will sooner or later take a lift but WHEN? Oando is another one but it is being limited by lack of deregulation and fairs about corporate gorvernance.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:30pm On Nov 15, 2007
yodiyokun:

WanaJ0,

In line with fact behind the figures, I was looking at May & Bakers 2006 Prospectus, and boy are they way off their PAT projections, and it dosent look like they will meet their projections for this year as well.

Was the offer over or under subscribed - trying to figure out the Outstanding shares and has the shares been listed on NSE this year?

Do you have any information on them, Honestly, I don't know how their price has been sustained at N11

May and Baker did an offer last year that was oversubscribed. Don't think they took the over subscription though. They refunded mone but used a funny method. All existing shareholders got what they applied for but everyother person got a prorated allocation.

Now because of the delay in the conclusion of the offer they did not get the money ontime.That basically affected the 2006 forecast. Also they are about changing the utilisation of the funds. Also, the Vaccine project seems to be delayed. However, it is a solid company for the future. I expect that the 2008 results will be encouraging. Right now, I will consider it over valued except you are in for the Long Term like me. Don't forget that it rose as high as 16.00 this year!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:33pm On Nov 15, 2007
wanaj0:

Thought result was part of the fundamentals!!!!!

On what basis will you consider a stock to be low if not based on the EPS/ PE? Those are forecasted/estimated based on interim or final results.

I think you misunderstand me.

I can only use the interim result that has been released to predict the next interim or full year result. This is what I am saying. I don't have to wait for the future t result to be declared before I take position. So I can only assess UNIC based on the Q-2 result they have so far declared. I can use this to predict Q-3 or full year. If there is a Q-3 outstanding it is immaterial. I don't have to wait forthis Q-3 result to take position. By then, the cat will be out of the bag.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:39pm On Nov 15, 2007
kpineo:

Mutual benefits is not so attractive based on fundamentals. These is what I have for them based on Q-2 PAT of 450M. Projected PE is 20.38. However, MB is generally expected to exceed projections but I don't know what the basis of that is.

MUTUAL BENEFITS ASSURANCE PLC
                                                                Price  = 3.10      
Out. Share  = 5.91B
                     Proj PAT = 0.9B   
Projected PE = 20.38
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2007
wanaj0:

May and Baker did an offer last year that was oversubscribed. Don't think they took the over subscription though. They refunded mone but used a funny method. All existing shareholders got what they applied for but everyother person got a prorated allocation.

Now because of the delay in the conclusion of the offer they did not get the money ontime.That basically affected the 2006 forecast. Also they are about changing the utilisation of the funds. Also, the Vaccine project seems to be delayed. However, it is a solid company for the future. I expect that the 2008 results will be encouraging. Right now, I will consider it over valued except you are in for the Long Term like me. Don't forget that it rose as high as 16.00 this year!

Thanks Wanaj0 for this
May and B were on my radar mid year but could not explain why there were not responding, Well Insurance got me and am smiling now.
Any one seen what is happening to Dunlop Guys position now oh,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:44pm On Nov 15, 2007
Geees:

Thanks Wanaj0 for this
May and B were on my radar mid year but could not explain why there were not responding, Well Insurance got me and am smiling now.
Any one seen what is happening to Dunlop Guys position now oh,

Dunlop will continue to oscillate. 2007 result cannot suatin the price. I see it settling at around 3.00 to 3.5 by Mid next year

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.