Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,960 members, 7,848,898 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 11:43 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (152) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (818321 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 6:30am On Nov 16, 2007
youngdoc:

At all,
Where do you go to read up on the latest about the stock market, and get pertinent analysis and such?
I have:
Proshareng.com
Meristem
NAIRALAND BUSINESS SECTION
Thisday, Punch, investopedia etc,

I need other sources!!

are there any helpful pages you guys can recommend?

Wanajo: You have been in the stock trading world for quite a while, please give me some pointers

Pumping777: you are known for your timely news and analysis, answer too.

Easimoni: Insurance man, your input too please

EMMACHILE, RoughCut, Gees, Temmie 10 ( where u dey sef), WIndywendy ( where you dey), Frankiriri ( where you dey??), Other Gurus in hiding or not mentioned please contribute too. I am sure we can all gain from sources we didnt know existed, just like Nigeriansecurities has become our one-stop-shop for number crunching.

Thanks all

www.fsdhsecurities.com
http://businessdayonline.com
http://nigeriaworld.com/news/business
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nazzyon(m): 7:17am On Nov 16, 2007
texas543:

From #4 to #30? that your expectation is somehow too high. If thats the way stocks play out, we would all turn billionnaires before the end of next year

Better if you did not poke your nose into peoples affair, if you do not have a positive answer. If you wish to respond

I did not ask for your opinion, did I?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 7:23am On Nov 16, 2007
nazzyon:

Better if you did not poke your nose into peoples affair, if you do not have a positive answer. If you wish to respond

I did not ask for your opinion, did I?

My friend he gave the answer most people on here would give, I cracked up when I saw your N30, that would mean an almost 1000% ROI within the next yr, look at the NSE and see how many companies made that much this yr like 3?
You didnt ask for his opinion but you posted it on here so you clearly wanted an opinion, notice he was the only one who responded meaning others prob laughed and moved on. No need to get sentimental because the answer isnt what you want.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nazzyon(m): 7:28am On Nov 16, 2007
Thanks.

I will still go ahead with my plans. It will only be delayed.

Texas no hard feelings.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:01am On Nov 16, 2007
FatherOF2:

Guys,just officially joined this thread.I've been silently following it for months.
Decided to show my face.Thanks a million all gurus.

This things is moving too fast.The number of members keeps increasing by the hour.It should be changed from Nairaland to
Nairapedia.Its so rich.Easimoni i'm watching you carefully.Questions are waiting.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:06am On Nov 16, 2007
Its increasing by the minute.Its now 149602 members.Great.
More members more info.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:31am On Nov 16, 2007
youngdoc:

At all,
Where do you go to read up on the latest about the stock market, and get pertinent analysis and such?
I have:
Proshareng.com
Meristem

I need other sources!!

Wanajo: You have been in the stock trading world for quite a while, please give me some pointers

EMMACHILE, RoughCut, Gees, Temmie 10 ( where u dey sef), WIndywendy ( where you dey), Frankiriri ( where you dey??), Other Gurus in hiding or not mentioned please contribute too. I am sure we can all gain from sources we didnt know existed, just like Nigeriansecurities has become our one-stop-shop for number crunching.

Thanks all

I have been around. Had to stay back for two extra hours yesterday just to catch up with the six pages that had accumulated in the 24 hour period that I did not look up the site. Reading / contributing to this thread is already taking up so much of mytime that I barely visit other sites.
I am a registered member of stockmarketnigeria.com but I hardly even have time to visit it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:57am On Nov 16, 2007
red star gained 5% againn yesterday
its for the brave though as it isnt tried and tested per se yet

profits have increased steadily for 11yrs or so according to the CEO

definitely one to watch i suppose

only worry is when it would be best to take up a position

any thoughts fellas
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 10:00am On Nov 16, 2007
the way this thread is flying. amazing. big up to seun.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 10:22am On Nov 16, 2007
aktopgun:

red star gained 5% againn yesterday
its for the brave though as it isnt tried and tested per se yet

profits have increased steadily for 11yrs or so according to the CEO

definitely one to watch i suppose

only worry is when it would be best to take up a position

any thoughts fellas
And they have been paying dividends for the past 10 yrs but looks like there might be liquidity issues which the stockbrokers who were trading the stock before it got listed were complaining about so with the listing they are setting up for an IPO in the not-too distant future so i suppose a bit more dilution would be welcome and if the price goes a bit lower definitely for me and now its got listed we can access the financials

Abbey mortgage (to be listed this month) is one of my dark horses for 08
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:33am On Nov 16, 2007
@roughcut

oh really.
who are abbey mortgages? heard something about them recently but turned a deaf ear

but as my bros don mention am now, whats the 411?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:43am On Nov 16, 2007
on insurance stocks, that sector is known not for capital appreciation really but rather for issuing bonuses mostly every other year or there abouts.
the money is made from these bonuses.
look at the most expensive stock in the sector ie wapco, its just over N7

buying in volume is best i think, unless they start to tow the line of their banking brothers and restructure before we start seeing any sort of real capital appreciation.

not sure if and when this wil happen though.

for those buying bagco, pls consider it a turnaround play if at all and be cautious in ur short term expectations. it would be worth seeing some performance first before investing. from the prospectus, most of the money is going into debt repayment for now so i guess the company must be pretty sure of its ability ot raise funds to run day to day business, or is it?

i personally prefer to but the goose (flour mills) than the egg(bagco)

enough said!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tommyt(m): 10:43am On Nov 16, 2007
youngdoc:

At all,
I have:
Proshareng.com
Meristem

I need other sources!!

Thanks all

try www.nigeriansecurities.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ekpara: 11:06am On Nov 16, 2007
People,
I have been following this thread for one week.IT IS RICH IN SUBSTANCE!.Everyone is doing a great job.From the new ones in the sytem to the GURUS. KEEP IT UP.

Emmachile,
Thanks for the books.I will be doing a lot of jacking .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 11:20am On Nov 16, 2007
aktopgun:

@roughcut

oh really.
who are abbey mortgages? heard something about them recently but turned a deaf ear

but as my bros don mention am now, whats the 411?
Mutual benefits one of the big players in the insurance space is acquiring or has acquired 20% equity in Abbey Mortgage and if the mortgage sector is taking off as we suspect in naija at least you need life insurance to take mortgage so i can see the synergy in these two sectors and i think we are going to see a lot more strategic alliance between the providers in the mortgage and insurance sectors so why not?

Dont forget also a lot of these banks that are doing these PO/IPO's are hoping to deploy a substantial chunk of the proceeds of their offers to develop their retail banking and mortgage businesses(at least from FCMB and bank PHB prospectus as they have identified this sector as growth areas) so i kinda like the idea of taking position before everybody wakes up to the fact(Abbey are preparing for listing on the stock exchange this month)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 16, 2007
This is a link to FXCM Managed Funds
http://www.fxcm.com/docs_pdfs/Sentiment_Fund_Monthly_Review.pdf

Read it in your leisure time and it works like a mutual fund but with relatively higher returns in US dollars. You need to open an account with FXCM and then wire dollars to them in order to participate in the fund.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 11:42am On Nov 16, 2007
aktopgun:

on insurance stocks, that sector is known not for capital appreciation really

Just go and find out how much these insurance stocks sold for during their public offers last year, and you will realise that this year has belonged to insurance as much as banking in terms of capital appreciation
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 11:46am On Nov 16, 2007
Guys, its wise to invest. you will not regret it.

The trick there is that only a few of us are involved in it now and the number is still insignificantly low.

When the economy fully develops, You can imagine the boom that will happen.

Short Testimony

I invested about 86000 bucks during my service year into IBTC Initial Public Offer at N4.30

Sold the shares at N18.00 and not too long ago reinvested into Wema at N9.85.

Now I guess I shoul have used all those spare cash, exhorbitant project expenses and ploughed them in.

If i had done that,  your guess is as goog as mine.

Its never too late.

Invest, Invest, Invest

Zenith Is coming during Christmas oh.

Invest wisely.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 11:53am On Nov 16, 2007
Emaachile,

Leave that FXCM side for now.

No market in the worl currently generates returns like the Nigerian Stock Market.

organisations in foreign countries are bringing in funds here to invest and you want us to carry our money outside.

My predictions for next few years

Nigerian Naira would appreciate remarkably against the dollar and we would become the delight of the great world economy.

That's if there is no third term agenda again.

Emaachile, keep your money here.

Cheers bro
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 11:56am On Nov 16, 2007
Emaachile,

Leave that FXCM side for now.

No market in the worl currently generates returns like the Nigerian Stock Market.

organisations in foreign countries are bringing in funds here to invest and you want us to carry our money outside.

My predictions for next few years

Nigerian Naira would appreciate remarkably against the dollar and we would become the delight of the great world economy.

That's if there is no third term agenda again.

Emaachile, keep your money here.

Cheers bro
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by adeyinkat: 12:03pm On Nov 16, 2007
Phew at last! I just got to the end of the thread & I'm sure before I finish typing this, more posts would have appeared.

Please what price is the appropriate upper limit to enter Crusader & UNIC? I'm still trying to get a hang of the calculations of fair stock prices using forward PEs!

I think this Ins coys bulls run is a false start, they will soon be beared[b][/b] back to starting point. The real race commences 1st quarter 2008 when all the consolidation monies would, hopefully, have started making impact.

For now look well well before  you leap o grin

@ Wanajo, easimoni,
Why is everybody shouting about bailing out of WEMA before TS? Methinks the bull run will continue after the TS is lifted or am I missing something here? Anyway, I'll buy more WEMA PO (if they come to the market) & maximise profits with the one I have at hand after TS is lifted. l'm really in for the longterm!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 12:16pm On Nov 16, 2007
@adeyinkat
your sentiments abt insurance are quite right.
What we are seeing now is everyone being a winner.
The boys will separate from the men in insurance soon, thats where brains come in.

On wema, it depends on you and what your strategy is again
if its a short term play, u run out before TS and buy a christmas turkey grin,
if you are convinced that the company holds much more value than 15 (which really is the case),
and your portfolio is resonably diversified, buy all means HOLD.
Its too cheap to flog, I dont see Wema ever goin back to the days of 10 again.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 12:47pm On Nov 16, 2007
Those who are advicing you to quickly bail out of Wema because of TS are people who never buy POs and hate being on TS.You tie your money down during
TS.I bet you before Wema TS is lifted next year,some guys would have made 25% from GTB from 14th Nov, made 25% from Intercontinental from 13th Nov.Made 25% from WAPCO from Dec 21 2007,and still take part in wema after TS is lifted.All this while you tied money down in Wema and still wait another 7 or 8 months to collect just 43% after verification of your wema PO certificate.
They Law is Buy cheap and sell high

BUY ON RUMOUR AND SELL ON NEWS.

Happy investing.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 12:51pm On Nov 16, 2007
FatherOF2:

Those who are advicing you not quickly bail out of Wema because of TS are people who never buy POs and hate being on TS.You tie your money down during
TS.I bet you before Wema TS is lifted next year,some guys would have made 25% from GTB from 14th Nov, made 25% from Intercontinental from 13th Nov.Made 25% from WAPCO from Dec 21 2007,and still take part in wema after TS is lifted.All this while you tied money down in Wema and still wait another 7 or 8 months to collect just 43% after verification of your wema PO certificate.

Happy investing.

if you buy on rumour that turns out to be false you will be seriously burntto borrow wanaj0's catch phrase
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tommyt(m): 1:02pm On Nov 16, 2007
FatherOF2:

Those who are advicing you not quickly bail out of Wema because of TS are people who never buy POs and hate being on TS.You tie your money down during

Happy investing.

mi bros is bettr u buy on facts mostly when d guru in the house give u go ahead, and sell base on the facts u can gather, if u buy on some rumour u are on your own ooooooooooo. xmass is coming and some rumour can make u miss d turkey o!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 1:06pm On Nov 16, 2007
@Roughcut,

I take part of that back.Let me re-phrase

BUY ON RUMOUR OF BONUS, SELL ON NEWS OF BONUS.

It worked just fine 3 times for me this year.

Zenith
UBN
RT Briscoe.

I only needed to hear about zenith at N25 and sold at N70.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 1:21pm On Nov 16, 2007
Back to the market.
Insurance is still flying high.
The bulls are currently running things: very few stocks lost today.
I'll be happy to start taking profit next week in any case
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 1:25pm On Nov 16, 2007
You see a lot of the stuff of what moves the market is always hear say. There are some facts actually.Numerical facts(i.e.results).Some turn out to be true
while some false.Most people act after the news.Take Wema.It rose from N3.50 to N11.99 and there was no fact to back it up,yet it kept rising on rumour of " I don't know what". When the news came out of FY 2006,everybody was in a rush to sell.Fine it still rose to N15.But for anyone who bought at 3.5 and sold at 9.43 (169% profit), i think that is fair.Take your profits and move on to the next good rumour like that which is available on Nairapedia daily.
Rumour and speculation moves the market. You never know when the news will come out. I never knew anything about this insurance consolidation,but someone mentioned that FG will soon release some escrow cash to them at a day nobody knew.With the News coming out yesterday,all insurance stocks were on full bid.Those who positioned on the good ones will be smiling to the bank next Thursday or friday (Bail out dates).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 1:32pm On Nov 16, 2007
@fatherof2
i have always said, if something works for you, stick to it so i am happy you have a system that works for you.
The problem however arises in when you take what works for you and you try to turn it into a universal principle.
Trading on rumors is hardly a proven recipe for success.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 1:35pm On Nov 16, 2007
Temmie10:

@fatherof2
i have always said, if something works for you, stick to it so i am happy you have a system that works for you.
The problem however arises in when you take what works for you and you try to turn it into a universal principle.
I'm with you on this one bro
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 1:54pm On Nov 16, 2007
Temmie10:

@fatherof2

Hahahahaha,, No oh, its not universal at all.Na wetin man don see say don work for am oh.
There're some other unorthodox patterns hidden in the NSE which i shall reveal soon that work just
fine in the NSE. You have to learn to decify the codes.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 1:55pm On Nov 16, 2007
RoughCut:

I'm with you on this one bro

Where you beginning to doubt yourself before?.

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.