Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,288 members, 7,836,273 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (199) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816704 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 7:32am On Nov 30, 2007
jehosaphat:

Personally Saluting

Wanajo
Temmie10
Easimoni
Fatherof2
Windywendy ( welcome back)
Yodiyokun
Aktopgun
Roughcut ( enjoy your proverbs very much)
Gees
Barge
EMMAACHILE
Pumping777
Rob-roy
Frankiriri ( Find time to visit)
My peace
Naijadr ( Thanks for info about UBA NRN)
Seun for your initiative and website
All Others who I didnt mention for time ( I got to run, Time to chop! grin grin)

Happy Christmas, happy Year end, May we continue to prosper. Amen!

Haba!

My head don dey swell now o! but that was very very nice of you taking time to personally salute peeps. May honour also come your way in Jesus name. Na you i dey try emulate now abi? As dem dey talk am for where i commot from There is no way a piece of land will belong to the father and to the son without a clear line of demarcation there must always be a distinction so i never reach your level i be small pikin in that dept

Thanks very much and may you walk tall where it matters
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:34am On Nov 30, 2007
Afrinvest will likely not take anything less than 500k. A lot has changed of recent.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 7:43am On Nov 30, 2007
oga jehosaphat, thanks for the shout out, I noticed it was page 199 and was waiting for someone else to christen pg 200, this forum is amazing, I actually read through it all b4 I joined the NSE in Oct and I'm officially addicted. 2008 will be a good year for all of us oh, Amen!
I love reading other people's testimony (profits made) and losses as well because it shows me what to do and what I should maybe not do tongue

jehosaphat:

Personally Saluting

Wanajo
Temmie10
Easimoni
Fatherof2
Windywendy ( welcome back)
Yodiyokun
Aktopgun
Roughcut ( enjoy your proverbs very much)
Gees
Barge
EMMAACHILE
Pumping777
Rob-roy
Frankiriri ( Find time to visit)
My peace
Naijadr ( Thanks for info about UBA NRN)
Seun for your initiative and website
All Others who I didnt mention for time ( I got to run, Time to chop! grin grin)

Happy Christmas, happy Year end, May we continue to prosper. Amen!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 7:47am On Nov 30, 2007
windywendy:

***post modified to refocus attention to the "koko" of what I'm trying to pass across***  smiley
Ah! welcome back from your sabbatical leave i hope you are back with us full-timei know you have another very important full-time commitmentand talking about full-time commitments how's the little madam? hope i got it right  and all the best

i remember we said something about Dangote Flour IPO being expensive because of the PE ratio we arrived  at then and it was agreed it should not have been more than N10 but if the chinese whispers i'm hearing are true because there's a massive massive over-subscription then i think the price when the positions are resolved  will beat the all-comers record on the NSE so the N15 IPO will look like peanuts in comparison but i think it will probably shadow Dangote sugar's price trajectory

Another case of market inefficiency!

@All
kilode! i have only been on a 6-hour flight since yesterday night and i found i have to go through about 5 pages of  this thread this early morning just to catch up and i see that all our long-absent friends are 'back' in the houseBIG-BOY LARRY has made a cameo appearance without his crystal balls or you have passed the mantle to someone else
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:27am On Nov 30, 2007
Naijadr:

oga jehosaphat, thanks for the shout out, I noticed it was page 199 and was waiting for someone else to christen pg 200, this forum is amazing, I actually read through it all before I joined the NSE in Oct and I'm officially addicted. 2008 will be a good year for all of us oh, Amen!
I love reading other people's testimony (profits made) and losses as well because it shows me what to do and what I should maybe not do tongue

Let me share some experience of losses with you.

Bought busines times and check for stocks with the lowest PE's. Savannah Bank was one of them. So Bought 10,000 units at 0.80!!!! Never bothered to find out about the facts behind the figures!!!!

Gave an instruction to my Broker to buy UNTL. Did not specify a price limit. Then it was about 2.00. many months later, I got a contract note that they've executed my order at 4.65. Since then, no other without limits whether BUY or SELL. Also, I have expiry dates for my orders. Sometimes I validate them everyday.

Sold Okomu to buy Presco. Well Okomu released a bad interim result so I sold. Presco released a good interim result so I bought. At year end, Presco's result was so bad that I sold fast. Though the loss was minimal (less than 5% after charges) can't help but laugh at myself. Exceptional items can affect results greatly. So factor that in when making projections. Presco had an exceptional item that reduced their profits.

Can't remember any other loss

So hope ALL can see that I am human.

No point talking about the gains.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wola: 8:35am On Nov 30, 2007
Hi guys, I like your incisive analysis of the stock market, you guys have given some of us the impetus to go ahead and invest in the market.
I have a poser for you guys.I just started buying stocks last month,and I have the following stocks,5000 units of FCMB,5000 units of PHB,20000 units of Japaul,and 50000 units of Bagco. The value of all this stocks is just about 500,000 Naira.My poser is this,is it possible that I can trade with this shares and be able to make Two million Naira by June 2008?

I want to go do my Master's degree in September 2008 and it is going to cost me approximately Two mill, and I feel that the stock market should be able to pay for it.

I also intend investing another 300,000 in the next couple of months in the stock market.

So guys,is this feasible or just wishful thinking on my part?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wola: 8:39am On Nov 30, 2007
Hi guys, I like your incisive analysis of the stock market, you guys have given some of us the impetus to go ahead and invest in the market.
I have a poser for you guys.I just started buying stocks last month,and I have the following stocks,5000 units of FCMB,5000 units of PHB,20000 units of Japaul,and 50000 units of Bagco. The value of all this stocks is just about 500,000 Naira.My poser is this,is it possible that I can trade with this shares and be able to make Two million Naira by June 2008?

I want to go do my Master's degree in September 2008 and it is going to cost me approximately Two mill, and I feel that the stock market should be able to pay for it.

I also intend investing another 300,000 in the next couple of months in the stock market.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 8:40am On Nov 30, 2007
wanaj0:

Let me share some experience of losses with you.

Bought busines times and check for stocks with the lowest PE's. Savannah Bank was one of them. So Bought 10,000 units at 0.80!!!! Never bothered to find out about the facts behind the figures!!!!

Gave an instruction to my Broker to buy UNTL. Did not specify a price limit. Then it was about 2.00. many months later, I got a contract note that they've executed my order at 4.65. Since then, no other without limits whether BUY or SELL. Also, I have expiry dates for my orders. Sometimes I validate them everyday.

Sold Okomu to buy Presco. Well Okomu released a bad interim result so I sold. Presco released a good interim result so I bought. At year end, Presco's result was so bad that I sold fast. Though the loss was minimal (less than 5% after charges) can't help but laugh at myself. Exceptional items can affect results greatly. So factor that in when making projections. Presco had an exceptional item that reduced their profits.

Can't remember any other loss

So hope ALL can see that I am human.

No point talking about the gains.

Ah thanks for sharing, I just had a similar wahala with Crusader, issued a buy order a while back, forgot about it since it wasnt purchased then, till last week when broker bought it, luckily it was a very small order but at N5.01 I just shook my head. I decided then to put buy limit, now it also makes sense to put sell limit, didnt think of that. I like the date expiration as well, I'm going to be applying those concepts since it takes my broker like 2days to buy/sell.
Very much appreciated!

Thanks for that spreadsheet, I've been an FSDH subscriber for a while, so its so easy to update the price column
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 8:44am On Nov 30, 2007
UBA publishes their report on Proshare

http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_articles.php?id=1333

Stock Summary

Recommendation: Buy

Sector: Banking

Current Price: N52.60

Target Price: N62.17

EPS : N1.87 (’07), N3.34 (2008e)

RoE : N19.8 (’07), N21.7 (2008e)

Div Yield : N2.3 (’07), N2.7 (2008e)

P/E : N29.0 (’07), N15.8 (2008e)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:46am On Nov 30, 2007
wola:

With God all things are possible but I seriously doubt that you will achieve this within the time frame.

For example, I am assuming that you bought those shares via public offers. It will take time to get your certificates. After that you will have to get a broker to verify the certificates before you can start trading. All those normally take close to 8 months!!! So you may need to adjust your plan and strategy.

Naijadr:

Ah thanks for sharing, I just had a similar wahala with Crusader, issued a buy order a while back, forgot about it since it wasnt purchased then, till last week when broker bought it, luckily it was a very small order but at N5.01 I just shook my head. I decided then to put buy limit, now it also makes sense to put sell limit, didnt think of that. I like the date expiration as well, I'm going to be applying those concepts since it takes my broker like 2days to buy/sell.
Very much appreciated!

Thanks for that spreadsheet, I've been an FSDH subscriber for a while, so its so easy to update the price column

Thank Yodiyokun for pasting the spreadsheet.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 8:49am On Nov 30, 2007
Oooh thanks much yodiyokun for that spreadsheet!! smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 8:58am On Nov 30, 2007
@Wola ,

since you are new to investing in stock , it is better you have a medium to long term investment timeframe so you can make  good returns.With your portfolio you will do well but 400% profit by june 2008 is not feasible.You may however make over 50% because of the expected bull run in the first half of next year. With your 300k ,i will advise you buy 1or 2 insurance stocks where you have high probability of capital appreciation  before your timeframe.My point , you cant reasonably expect 400% in 7months timeframe, unless you are an expert and experienced  trader.  Iadmire your quest for more knowledge but you might want to add INVESTING to your curriculum.
 Genarally , the shorter your time frame , the greater your risk and the shorter your potential retuns, other things being equal . Goodluck !

@Jehosaphat ,

compliments of the season and thanx . Am sure you are smiling as your Japaul shares keep going north.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by webmaster3: 9:12am On Nov 30, 2007
HI. This is one of the most educative thread in this forum. I need advice from you gurus. I have 500,000 (Naira) and am been advised by a broker to invest it all on NIgerian brewies. Is this is a good idea. Need your help on this please.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 9:15am On Nov 30, 2007
web_master:

HI. This is one of the most educative thread in this forum. I need advice from you gurus. I have 500,000 (Naira) and am been advised by a broker to invest it all on NIgerian brewies. Is this is a good idea. Need your help on this please.

No one can reasonably advice you because they no next to nothing about you!!!! Of course you can BUY anything but will it meet your objective? Does it agree with your risk profile? Is the expected return from NBL in line with your financial plan?

Investment in stocks is always a good idea tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 9:54am On Nov 30, 2007
Am i the only one using cashcraft on this forum. Am having some problems with them of late.Concerning Afrinvestwa,how quick and reliable are they with transactions? I dont stay in Lagos,so i cant afford to be visiting thier office after opening my account.I want to look well before i leap so i wont jump from frying Pan into the furnace?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 10:07am On Nov 30, 2007
@Damoche

So far ,so good. Thats what i can tell you about Afriinvest, they execute my mandates quickly , they are the best of the brokers i have ,though i joined them recently .Only downside , the website is udergoing some change. But a lot depends on your RM ie relationship manager .You will need to have a good relationship with whoever that happens to be. They are quite good. Goodluck .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 10:10am On Nov 30, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 10:15am On Nov 30, 2007
@Naijadr,
Nice post.
It's knida early,  insomnia?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 10:17am On Nov 30, 2007
NBA:

@Naijadr,
Nice post.
It's knida early, insomnia?
haha yup its 4:22am EST on my end, up late writing doing a clinical research writeup, and lurking on here cause I know those in Naija are up and moving, and should be posting grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 10:21am On Nov 30, 2007
grin
I may soon request for prescription to control my addiction to this thread!
Have a great day!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 10:28am On Nov 30, 2007
barge:

@Damoche

So far ,so good. Thats what i can tell you about Afriinvest, they execute my mandates quickly , they are the best of the brokers i have ,though i joined them recently .Only downside , the website is udergoing some change. But a lot depends on your RM ie relationship manager .You will need to have a good relationship with whoever that happens to be. They are quite good. Goodluck .

Thanks, barge but what a name. A barge is now a very unsafe transport vehicle in my industry nowadays o courtesy of MEND. Will alaways remember u for your view that day WEMA released that bad results and there was panic.I remember u saying they might be releasing the bad news first. You were proved right.How is the Iberian Pennisula?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 10:32am On Nov 30, 2007
damoche07:

Am i the only one using cashcraft on this forum. Am having some problems with them of late.Concerning Afrinvestwa,how quick and reliable are they with transactions? I don't stay in Lagos,so i can't afford to be visiting their office after opening my account.I want to look well before i leap so i wont jump from frying Pan into the furnace?

Cash craft and Afrinvest are in the same building. That's where the similarities ends!!!

being with Afrinvest for a while and never being to their office!!!!! Enough said. Just make sure you have a nice relationship with your account manager.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Labo: 10:58am On Nov 30, 2007
Hi Wanajo,

I like to acquire some shares of NAHCO. I love share bonus.
Do you think NAHCO will give some bonus next year?
I was looking at their result it seems o7 in better than 06 so far.
A reply will be much appreciated.

cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 10:59am On Nov 30, 2007
has anybody's CSCS acct  been credited with 1st bank shares? Thot they said it would be done by now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Teenom(m): 11:04am On Nov 30, 2007
@Seun
If someone told me last year I would invest in NSE last year. I would have certified nuts. Thanx for opening our eyes.

@Everyone else
Props to everyone who made this thread a success.

@Future "Silky Cut"
I need your advice. kissBitte!
teenom )at( yahoo . de

Quote from: Naijadr on Today
Very much appreciated!

@Naijadr

Am I sensing regret in joining NRNUBA?I'm about 2 hours away from sending my documents by DHL to Marina for the account opening?I have not quite got the big guns yet to join Zenith et al. Any Suggestions other that Cashcraft, say with 400KCash

@Everyone who hasn't read the thread from Pages 1-200,
Don't be lazy. The time spent reading is worth it.
Why?
a)Nobody likes to answer questions more than once.
b)Its your money at stake.
c)We're up to 3-6 Pages a day.

@Offshore Greenhorns like me looking how to jump on the bandwagon
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-79353.0.html

Yours'
One of the thousands of silent readers.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 11:05am On Nov 30, 2007
Labo:

Hi Wanajo,

cheers

Looking for someone to buy my NAHCO at 30.00. As a good friend, I can sell to you.

Don't see why anyone should by NAHCO though!!! Too me, it is way over valued.

BTW, what's the obsession with bonus?

BIG BOY LARRY should help with his crystal ball. Mere mortal like me cannot determine what will ahppen in the future tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 11:07am On Nov 30, 2007
Labo:

Hi Wanajo,

cheers

Labo., am a rookie on this forum but the words 'love' and 'like' set my alarm bells ringing. emotions shouldnt form your opinion about choosing a stock.I used to be like that until i joined this forum.Now i can invest anywhere except the breweries whose business are against my convictions. About NAHCO,giving bonuses will depend on th company's history wit bonuses.I thot they just did a P.O which means they are already adding more shares.In my limited opinion,i dont think they will. Any divergent and better responses to Labo's enquiry please.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 11:09am On Nov 30, 2007
@ Damouche07

has anybody's CSCS acct been credited with 1st bank shares? Thot they said it would be done by now.

Heard from a reliable source that they will be credited in December i.e before the end of second week latest.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 11:14am On Nov 30, 2007
Teenom:

@Naijadr

Am I sensing regret in joining NRNUBA?I'm about 2 hours away from sending my documents by DHL to Marina for the account opening?I have not quite got the big guns yet to join Zenith et al. Any Suggestions other that Cashcraft, say with 400KCash

@Everyone who hasn't read the thread from Pages 1-200,

Haha actually no, took me about 3mths before I settled on them for folks entering like me that didnt have N1mil or N5mil minimum, plus it also allowed me to have a bank acct. Where are u located, Temitope the US NRN rep is absolutely wonderful, he never gets tired of my constant emails, or my cancellation orders that come a min after sending a buy order grin
I also sent mine by DHL to Marina c/o Temitope, took 3 business days from US, and my current/checking acct was opened the next day and CSCS a few days later.
Usually when I issue a buy order, if the stock is readily available, they'll get it by the next business day, and then the rep will email me invoice the following day. I usually send my buy orders at 8am Nigerian time, so that its the first thing he sees, but lately I've been doing it at 2pm Nigerian time so I can see the update from the NSE for that day. The stock brokerage section of UBA stops taking orders at 4pm every day
Do u have a bank acct? if not then UBA is awesome, cause u get to have that, plus when u send money, u are sending it to your bank acct.
I'm sure by early 2008, their online portal will be available, plus all the other perks such as the Mortgage Loan option is extremely good ($40k-$350k and up to $500k for CEOs of big companies).

Also with NRN know that even though N100k is needed to open the current acct in addition to the N250k for capital market acct, u only need N5k to keep current acct open. That wasnt made clear to me initially but once I found out, I pretty much transferred all the money in my current acct to my capital market acct grin as I am not planning on being in Naija in the next few mths, so no point having it chilling there for now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 11:15am On Nov 30, 2007
ololufemi:

@ Damouche07

Heard from a reliable source that they will be credited in December i.e before the end of second week latest.
heard the same
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mee25(m): 11:21am On Nov 30, 2007
Temmie10:

heard the same

What about returned monies
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 11:23am On Nov 30, 2007
damoche07:

Labo., am a rookie on this forum but the words 'love' and 'like' set my alarm bells ringing. emotions shouldnt form your opinion about choosing a stock.I used to be like that until i joined this forum.Now i can invest anywhere except the breweries whose business are against my convictions. About NAHCO,giving bonuses will depend on th company's history wit bonuses.I thot they just did a P.O which means they are already adding more shares.In my limited opinion,i don't think they will. Any divergent and better responses to Labo's enquiry please.

Words of wisdom from an elder.

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.