Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,446 members, 7,846,854 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 04:11 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (817997 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 10:39pm On May 03, 2007
@Tmoni
He has something for Diamond bank but i am not feeling them, he said cos they got some foreign investors interested in them. Then the usual suspects, UBA, First Bank and he said to leap into Dangote but not yet.

I want to try investigate the stocks myself afterall it's my money, get the drift.

I also know there are gems in the second tier markets (penny stocks) so we'll see
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 10:47pm On May 03, 2007
i wonder where mr frank, windywendy and cheexy are,

[size=8pt][/size]come back

@dollyp,
sent u a copy of the daily update
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 11:50pm On May 03, 2007
Tmoni:

[
I have been around.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 12:03am On May 04, 2007
@frank welcome back.

What do you say about Diamond bank?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 12:27am On May 04, 2007
Tmoni:

[size=8pt][/size]come back

@dollyp,
sent u a copy of the daily update

I am here. Didn't renew my starcomms subscription early. I am back now
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 12:48am On May 04, 2007
@Tmoni and Omoba,
Thanks for the info about UAC and Transcorp
@dollyp1,
I think diamond band is good for medium term because of the investment by Actis. This would provide them with additional funds to provide more services to customers. They may decide to go into branch expansion, offer better services etc. That would in turn affect its earning and lead to capital appreciation when better results are released. Pls note that it may go either way.

@everyone,
You can send your letters to Abayomi Obalujo, the stockswatch editor at editorstockswatch@yahoo.com. You can tell him that you want a website built and all.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 12:59am On May 04, 2007
Thanks cheexy

I need to go and read their previous report. I am wary cos the other banks are doing extremely well so we'll see.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 1:00am On May 04, 2007
@dollyp1,
From my calculations, if you bought the shares in question from the secondary market, using the former commision rate, the maximum rate a stock broker should charge is 4.07%. If that is the case, then 4.07% of 69790 equals 2,840.45. My advice is for you to find out the exact % your stockbroking firm charges and do the maths yourself to prevent any "petty rip-off". I know that the difference is not that much but as they say, "Little drops of water make a mighty ocean" A little 200 naira here, a lil 500 naira there and before you know it, you are forfeiting hard end money on miscalculated rates. Just try to be at the helm of your affairs.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 1:06am On May 04, 2007
@Cheexy
You are an ogbologbo at this thing, much respect.
Yes they charged me 2840, apparently i was looking at the wrong figure.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 1:14am On May 04, 2007
@dollyp1
Thats a relief cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:14am On May 04, 2007
dollyp1:

@frank welcome back.

What do you say about Diamond bank?

I think it is okay at the current price. The technical suspension has not yet been lifted as they habe not finalised the private placement they did. If you can get the shares to buy go for it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 7:36am On May 04, 2007
@Mr Frank
Do you have any idea when dangote flour mills public offer is coming up? I heard from someone that the offer is only going to last for a day. Do you know how true that is? Any leads?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 8:58am On May 04, 2007
I was going thru the ibtc equity fund website and i saw two prices quoted. What is the difference between a bid price and an offer price. Pls can anyone explain. Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 9:59am On May 04, 2007
@cheexy
To my knowledge, bid price is what the sellers are putting the shares at, offer price is what buyers are offering to pay for it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 10:52am On May 04, 2007
wellcome back 2 greats, 1 more left to come back smiley

hello dollyp wink,

@cheexy,
i go with dollyp's suggestion on the diffrence btw bid price and offer price,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 10:55am On May 04, 2007
GOVT RAISES MINIMUM FUND PORTFOLIOS FOR CAPITAL MARKET

@ frankiri so what does that mean for individual investors like us.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/?c=56&a=12974

Tmoni - well done   cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Allcorrect(m): 1:25pm On May 04, 2007
Well diamond is hot with an eaning per share of 61kobo at a prce of N10.7or the 3rd quarter it is a lot better than the likes of access which is is at N15. Asked my broker bout the stock but it seems it is vey scarce but promised he could help me get it.
He said i should consider Nig. wire and cable, which is undergoing liquidatiion, the stock is even scarce. I wont even buy that stock in my dreams, but these days i am having a rethink, with what happened to National Salt and Costain. wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Allcorrect(m): 1:29pm On May 04, 2007
Based om my litlle knowledge of this, i think offer price is the amount you will pay per unit if you are buying into the system while bid price is the value of the unit when you decide to sell part or all of what you have in the sytem. Its a little different from stock market quotes even though they trade regularly.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 1:35pm On May 04, 2007
to all the pros in the house.
I need you all to pls help me with a list of possible low priced stocks with growth potential and why you think so.Indicators could be provided also.
Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 1:40pm On May 04, 2007
to all the pros in the house.
I need you all to please help me with a list of possible low priced stocks with growth potential and why you think so.Indicators could be provided also.
Waiting for your response
Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 1:47pm On May 04, 2007
@Tmoni

I've not been around for a while due to work pressures. But my schedule has freed up a little more, so I can send quick responses to questions cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 1:50pm On May 04, 2007
@ Cheexy: Bid price is the price the broker will buy your shares from you if you want to sell to them, while the offer price is the price they'll sell to you if you wanted to buy from them. The difference is called a "spread" which is what the broker makes as profit. However this doesn't apply to stocks on the floor of the exchange as they're traded at one price. It's probably more applicable to mutual funds.

Btw, any news on why Stockwatch thinks Afribank is a hot stock? My brokers seem bullish on it too
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 2:34pm On May 04, 2007
@Windywendy. Bid and Ask may not apply to shares on Naija's stock exchange but it's standard practise around the world. There has to be a bid offer and an ask offer. Just to refine your definition a bit, the bid is the price at which those on the floor of the exchange would buy it from you and the ask is the price at which they'd sell it to you. Is just like buying and selling of foreign exchange in Bureau de Change or black market.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SLEEKCHIC2(f): 3:00pm On May 04, 2007
@ cheexy,

windywendy's right.

Bid price is the price the broker will buy your shares from you if you want to sell to them, while the offer price is the price they'll sell to you if you wanted to buy from them. The difference is called a "spread"

It does not apply to naija stocksand i don't know of foreign stocks, but I know it applies to forex and to mutual funds. From my knowledge of forex, if you buy a currency at 120.05, you enter the market at 120.01, and vice versa if you are short selling. The difference is the "spread" which is gained by the broker.

In funds, if you (as an investor) buy units within a unit trust you will always pay the 'offer' price( also called the 'ask' price. If you sells such units they will be sold at the 'bid' price. So you actually buy at a higher price than what the seller is actually selling. The difference goes to the broker.

K2's also right. Just like the Bureau de Change or black market.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Allcorrect(m): 4:19pm On May 04, 2007
The truth of the matter is that most prices of stocks are already high and tendecies show that they are going higher. Most companies are going to release their audited result from this month until about sept, expect hyper prices, banks like FBN, UBN, Zenith, Access and the likes. Insurance is a good industry to chhose from going by the recapitalisation. They are quite fair considering that they are yet to release their results. Price appreciation is expected. So make that move.
I was wondering ow much is stipulated for share certificate verification. Someone should help out here.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 4:57pm On May 04, 2007
How sound is Wema Bank?

According to Omoyeni, the bank's profit surpassed N5 billion in the 2006/2007 financial year, and its balance sheet grew by 89 per cent in the last two years from N97.91 billion to N185.15 billion.

Also, he revealed that the bank's deposit base increased by 114 per cent from N61.29 billion to N131.08 billion, while gross earnings grew from N15.29 billion to N25.1 billion, indicating a growth rate of 64 per cent.
guardian looking good  wink

How do you guys get regular objective news about companies you are investing in, sometimes i feel most of the infos i get in newspapers are sugarcoated as if the reporter are working for the companies  cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SLEEKCHIC2(f): 5:05pm On May 04, 2007
@ allcorrect:

For my stock broker, there is no fixed rate for verification. He says it depend on the volume. So the price varies. I don't know if its same for all stock brokers, but the lowest i've paid is N300 and the highest is N1000.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 5:59pm On May 04, 2007
cheexy:

I was going through the ibtc equity fund website and i saw two prices quoted. What is the difference between a bid price and an offer price. Please can anyone explain. Thanks
To bid means to offer to buy . The bid price is the price at which ibtc will redeem the units from existing holders. whereas the offer price is the price at which they will sell to prospective unit holders. The bid price is usually lower than the offer price.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:20pm On May 04, 2007
Quote from cheexy
Mr Frank
Do you have any idea when dangote flour mills public offer is coming up? I heard from someone that the offer is only going to last for a day. Do you know how true that is? Any leads?

I dont know when the offer will be out but I do know that it can not last for only one day. The mininum period for public offers is 21 working days.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 6:36pm On May 04, 2007
@ Frankiriri - What do you think of stockmarketnigeria?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:24pm On May 04, 2007
Omoba3:

@ Frankiriri - What do you think of stockmarketnigeria?
What's there to think. I usually already have the information that is available there. If they notified registered members each time the information is updated, it may help to make the site more informative.

The free e book is however very educative.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 7:30pm On May 04, 2007
@Frankiriri
I need you all to please help me with a list of possible low priced stocks with growth potential(in the short term of btw 300-500%) and why you think so.Indicators could be provided also.
Waiting for your response
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.