Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,361 members, 7,829,917 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815929 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:12am On May 02, 2007
windywendy:

I'll hold to Dangote because I think it's a good company with solid fundamentals. So unless I see any other more profitable opportunity, I'll still hold on to it.
These are really the key issues.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Talktrue(m): 8:24am On May 02, 2007
windywendy:

Errr, can you tell us why unilever? I've been researching that company for a while and it seems they're in so much trouble that they can't really get out of without a drastic restructuring. Their market share is being eroded on all sides by companies like PZ (which by the way, invested heavily in expanding their production capacity and distribution networks and also partnered with some investors from China to branch out into cooling products -- haier, etc) and P&G. I'm not seeing any moves on the part of Unilever to regain or at least retain their market share, and yet their costs are not particularly under control.

So what's it about Unilever that you like? Please share. I'll love to buy into it too if there's anything interesting on the horizon cheesy cheesy

Had to enjoy my may day smiley In addition to the stuff on the link provided by Omoba
This guys still have control of their operating market. Strong Brand name.
If the reforms in the power sector comes out positive this is one of the companies that will benefit mostly. Its a stock to watch closely for possible long term hold.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 10:31am On May 02, 2007
T
Omoba3:

@ If you buy shares through a stockbroker from the secondary market, you won't get share certs, you get a CSCS account to which your share holdings are electronically lodged.

@omoba1

Thanks.

What is a secondary market is that buying shares on the stock market floor rather than IPO's?

Second Tier Investments refer to small stocks abi?

I am new to Niger shares you see
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Chigotex(f): 11:03am On May 02, 2007
Seun, u know what? I'm excited about shares but my problem is how to know a good company to buy share from
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Chigotex(f): 11:04am On May 02, 2007
pLS pardon me for this digression. I want send a topic but I dont know the link to do that can you help?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Horus(m): 1:52pm On May 02, 2007

Trading Stocks in Africa

Experienced african stock traders and investors recognize that trading stocks with momentum is among the fastest & most effective ways to harvest BIG piles of cash in the stock market. Why? Because certain stocks with momentum bring the posibility of gaining as much as 100% on the same trading day. Some may only rise 10% on a few minutes. The problem is that if you don't know what stocks to look for and how to approach them while limiting your risk, you won't even get close to making some profits. You don't necessarily have to trade momentum hot stocks all the time. But you can learn how to take advantage of them when you encounter the best opportunities while at the same time limiting your risk.

Source: http://gold-finance..com/2007/05/trading-stocks-in-africa.html#links
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by unleashit(m): 2:56pm On May 02, 2007
@ chigotex
go to the bottom of this page and click on "send topic"
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 3:15pm On May 02, 2007
@ Dollyp1 - You already answered both your questions wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 6:47pm On May 02, 2007
For a share purchase amounting to N69,790, I was charged N6,838 is that a fair charge for brokers or is it a rip off
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 7:13pm On May 02, 2007
It is fair if you have been told the percentage they'll charge you for every transaction

It's a rip off if it is well above the 'normal' commsion rate and you've not been made to understand that before you bought the shares

not too sure, what the current charges are
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 7:21pm On May 02, 2007
@ Dis Guy - What of the new rates introduced? Aren't they supposed to take immediate effect?

I anyone has the answers to these questions please tell us so that we don't get ripped off! I would go as far as reporting any stockbroker that still charges the old rate, to the SEC.

It is fair if you have been told the percentage they'll charge you for every transaction

It's a rip off if it is well above the 'normal' commsion rate and you've not been made to understand that before you bought the shares

not too sure, what the current charges are
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 10:26pm On May 02, 2007
Well they did not tell me how much they will charge for each transaction.

I assumed it will be fairly standard across brokers angry.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 10:53pm On May 02, 2007
@ Dollyp1 - So which broker did you choose? Cashcraft or Zenith?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 10:57pm On May 02, 2007
Actually I used Leads Security, i had joined them but i did not want only one broker just in case of incasity (excuse my English), hence the enquiry about cashcraft and zenith.
They (Leads) did not ask me for any bills.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 12:15am On May 03, 2007
cornerstone insurance just released their 1st quarter results, PAT up by a 136%,
looks lie a good buy i did, cant wait for it to get to N6 or N7 and i bail out.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 12:18am On May 03, 2007
@mr frank, windywendy, cheexy and the japanese candle thingy guy

just out of curiosity, i just read about shorting on the stock exchange,

is it practised in nigeria and do the same rules apply?,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 6:38am On May 03, 2007
@ Everyone - Have you considered the upcoming First Bank offer? It falls under the new policy of the SEC, which stipulates a minimum of 80% underwriting. With regards to First Bank, this means N80 billion has to be underwritten. Wow!

With this new recapitalisation on going in the capital market, who will step up to take this risk? Will this hinder the kick off of this offer? This is something that needs to be worked out before the start of the offer.

At least we can be certain that subsequent offers won't be manipulated as was done by UBA grin

What's your take on this issue?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 8:33am On May 03, 2007
@ Dis Guy - What of the new rates introduced? Aren't they supposed to take immediate effect?

Well according to this it should take immediate effect maybe there are some 'buts' and 'ifs' the brokers are trying to capitalise on.

Dollyp1, why don't you ask them what the charge was for.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 8:46am On May 03, 2007
Stockbrokers said they have not received any formal communication from any of the capital market regulators on the reduction in market charges announced by the Federal Government last Wednesday.
The Federal Government through the ministry of finance had last Wednesday approved about 40 per cent reduction in all capital market fees for both primary and secondary market transactions.
By the approval, average equities transaction cost in the primary market, which currently stands at 6.92 per cent has been reduced to 4.32 per cent, while transaction cost on bonds has been reduced from 7.03 per cent to 4.79 per cent. For the secondary market, total transaction costs on equities have also been reduced. Specifically, equities transaction cost on the buy side has been reduced from 4.07 per cent to 2.36 per cent, while the sell side is now 2.65 per cent from the earlier cost of 4.12 per cent. 
Government had fixed [b]April 24, 2007 as the effective date for the commencement of the new cost regime.[/b]But a cross-survey of stockbrokers at the weekend showed that operators have neither receive any formal directive on the reductions nor the breakdown of the cost structure that will indicate the percentage due to stockbrokers, the Nigerian Stock Exchange, Central Securities Clearing System, Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Government.
Stockbrokers who spoke on anonymity said regulators jumped the gun in the consideration and announcement of the reductions stating that the policy changes announced Wednesday did not reflect input of operators.

Network failure?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 2:09pm On May 03, 2007
We need to see the outcome of this, but this reprieve is good news for Nospecto and others.

[QUOTE][B]EFCC removes block order on accounts of NOSPETCO & others
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2007[/B]

The FIU branch of the Economic & Financial Crimes Commission has now reversed its earlier instructions to banks to stop all transactions on the accounts of the 'Oil Deal' companies operating in the country pending the conclusions of its 'monitoring' of the activities of this concerns.

http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=2299[/QUOTE]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 4:11pm On May 03, 2007
@anybody & everybody

Any views on investing in oceanic bank?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 4:20pm On May 03, 2007
oceanic should quickly rise and meet up with its peers in the twenty sth naira league,

not sure if u can still partake in the PO though, my broker told me they were transferring the money today to the recieving agents,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 5:06pm On May 03, 2007
Thanks, I think i may make it just spoke to my broker now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 5:30pm On May 03, 2007
@ Dollyp1 - pls let me know if u do get some, may be I can get some thru ur broker.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 5:44pm On May 03, 2007
yes o let us know i want to buy more
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ferugio(m): 6:52pm On May 03, 2007
To the experts in the house.

What's your take on DEAL Capital Mgmt IPO?

Is it worth partaking?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 6:59pm On May 03, 2007
@Disguy and Tmoni
Yes I got some, but he did stress that I send the form today because they were submitting all their reconcillation tomorrow morning, I already had money with them so he said it will be ok.
I called again when i saw your post but they have closed for the day.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 7:42pm On May 03, 2007
hm okay.
did you ask about the charges when buying the last time? @ dollyp
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 9:57pm On May 03, 2007
UAC of Nigeria Plc. released its results for year ended December 31, 2006. The company grew its Turnover by 5% and Profit after Tax and Minority Interest by 97% when compared to the previous year. The company has declared a dividend of N1.00 per share. Closure of register will be on May 14, 2007 while payment will be from June 22, 2007. Full details of the released result are in the attached report.

The shares of AP Plc were placed on technical suspension today as result of the receipt of a notice of bloc divestment from the company by NNPC.

UAC OF NIGERIA PLC
YEAR ENDED DECEMBER 31, 2006
2006 2005
N'b N'b

Turnover 28.40 27.12 5%

PBT 4.76 2.72 75%
TAX (1.07) (0.92)
PAT 3.69 1.81 104%
M.I (0.48) (0.18)
PAT & M.I 3.20 1.63 97%

Exceptional Income N835m
Extra-ordinary Income N866m
Proposed Dividend N1.00
Closure Date 14-May-07
Payment Date 22-Jun-07
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 10:13pm On May 03, 2007
@Disguy, i have checked with them they said i had looked at the wrong nos, the charge was like 3k not 6k.
Which sounds more reasonable.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 10:23pm On May 03, 2007
@dollyp thats good for u,

was already wondering, could u also ask him which stock he considers hot in the nearest future
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 10:24pm On May 03, 2007
@ Everyone don't you think its time to revisit Transcorp? OBJ has carried out his selection and therefore Transcorp is here to stay. This being so, you can bet your last Naira that Transcorp is on the way up and will make its investors smile.

Here's my proof, which came after the selection:

Vanguard
Transcorp is a public company that no government can fold up
Franklin Ali
Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Nigeria-Britain Association (NBA) said that it is leaving no stone unturned in its march towards making qualitative and positive impact on the national economy. This it carries out by providing platforms for institutions to interact with the larger society. In one of such forum Transnational Corporation of Nigeria Plc (Transcorp) recently highlighted its operations, vision, mission and goals as well as explaining grey areas in the corporation activities.

, This, according to Okoye, is to be achieved by substituting the country’s importation with local production by partnership with foreign producers to have production plants in Nigeria.

, Transcorp he disclosed will not only ensure steady and continuous appreciation of the naira against other international currencies but will make assist in checking poverty in the continent.

, Responding to a question on the political undertone of the corporation, that it is owned by President Olusegun Obasanjo, the GED noted that government’s involvement was just the provision of an enabling environment for the smooth taking off of the project.

, Responding to the question that a new government might kick out the corporation, he said the corporation is a public property listed on the floor of The Nigerian Stock Exchange whose shareholders also include institutional investors in Nigeria, South Africa, Europe and America, and that no government will do that as TransCorp is a transnational corporation with root in the private sector.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/, 624042007.html

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.