Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,361 members, 7,836,471 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (270) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816742 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 8:49pm On Dec 27, 2007
X-2-X:

Compliments of the season to all.

I am searching for a reliable source of daily price updates in Excel format.

Can anyone recommend and provider (I tried registering on FSDH, nothing received so far after > 3weeks, Meristem is sending out unuseable excel workbooks {hard, nay, impossible to cut and past stuff easily from theirs} and Zenith has not updated their website since 18th).

I need a source that has Opening, Closing, High, Low as well as Volumes information in MS Excel formated documents.

Thanks.

Merci beacoup et bien à vous!!

I download from Zenith securities, run a macro in textpad that tab delimits the field (by changing all spaces to tabs) then copied and pasted in excel. Unforttunately I only have from August this year till 21st of Dec. Its pretty str8 fwd to do. Is this any good 2 u? or do u want it further back?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 8:56pm On Dec 27, 2007
Todays position attached.

E be like say i need to go and pay Cecilia a vist at home oh, abi wey my Oceanic Certificate now. 100% profit and i cant verify talkless of selling. E gbami oh!!! grin grin cool

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 9:34pm On Dec 27, 2007
Compliments of the Season to all

Anyone knows whether Access Banks has released their 2nd Qtr results?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by X2X(m): 9:36pm On Dec 27, 2007
bigjay01:

I download from Zenith securities, run a macro in textpad that tab delimits the field (by changing all spaces to tabs) then copied and pasted in excel. Unforttunately I only have from August this year till 21st of Dec. Its pretty str8 fwd to do. Is this any good 2 u? or do u want it further back?

Bigjay. Thanks for your response.

I am not in need of historic data. Rather I am in need of future data from today onwards .

Zenith's site hasnt been updated since the 18th. It used to be my primary source.

So now I am looking for an alternative. I fancy a service (from a stockbroker, website
etc) that can send Excel formated documents to me via email. That way, I wouldnt
have to  bother going through the extraction process daily as I can always download
the excel worksheets from my email box when I am free (say weekends). You dig?

Cant seem to get anything from my FSDH susbcription. Information regarding any
alternate source will be appreciated

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by felo12(m): 9:43pm On Dec 27, 2007
kpineo:

E be like say i need to go and pay Cecilia a vist at home oh, abi wey my Oceanic Certificate now. 100% profit and i can't verify talkless of selling. E gbami oh!!! grin grin cool

If oceanic bank last p.o is not listed the cert will be return unverified,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 10:11pm On Dec 27, 2007
yodiyokun:

Compliments of the Season to all

Anyone knows whether Access Banks has released their 2nd Qtr results?

Not to my knowledge
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kingzy(m): 10:14pm On Dec 27, 2007
bosunabuja:

I bought public offer from intercontinental since last year and I have not received my certifcate up till now. Please what should I do?

I suggest u go to intercont registrar at  Kingsway Building, 107/113 Broad street Lagos. If it has not been dispatched it will be given to you there. If it has been dispatched, they will show u on computer where and when it was sent. Then you have to get patince until it gets to you or until it is return to them. U can call Bassey Moses Udoh on 08080736116. He works there. Good Luck. I got mine last week.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nzemillion: 10:21pm On Dec 27, 2007
Merry xmass and a happy new year for you all in the house. Pls can some body help me with the address and fone number of Vetiva securities,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 10:23pm On Dec 27, 2007
@X-2-X
if you have registered on the fsdh website then you can log in and just click on the share prices. It will open in a web page. Right click and select all, copy and past in excel. that should do the trick. Futher more if you want any archive then click on the archive tab and enter the day you want. fsdh usually takes about 4-5 wks before they include you in their mailing list.
@everyone else
can someone please confirm the wapco rumors (yes again) I heard 1 for 4 then 2 for 3 which is it? lastly I heard about 3 insurance firms are set to enter the primary market again (STDINURE, MBENEFIT and EQUITYASUR) in the 1st qtr of 2008 can anyone confirm or refute. Don't want to get caught with my pants down here. Any information will gladly be appreciated. P.S easimoni see INTERCONT heading to N40, folks should watch out for a tech suspension anytime and oh did I forget to say that RSI rules!!!! grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 10:26pm On Dec 27, 2007
@X-2-X
if you have registered on the fsdh website then you can log in and just click on the share prices. It will open in a web page. Right click and select all, copy and past in excel. that should do the trick. Futher more if you want any archive then click on the archive tab and enter the day you want. fsdh usually takes about 4-5 wks before they include you in their mailing list.
@everyone else
can someone please confirm the wapco rumors (yes again) I heard 1 for 4 then 2 for 3 which is it? lastly I heard about 3 insurance firms are set to enter the primary market again (STDINURE, MBENEFIT and EQUITYASUR) in the 1st qtr of 2008 can anyone confirm or refute. Don't want to get caught with my pants down here. Any information will gladly be appreciated. P.S easimoni see INTERCONT heading to N40, folks should watch out for a tech suspension anytime and oh did I forget to say that RSI rules!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ManJiro(m): 10:35pm On Dec 27, 2007
X-2-X:

Bigjay. Thanks for your response.

I am not in need of historic data. Rather I am in need of future data from today onwards .

Zenith's site hasnt been updated since the 18th. It used to be my primary source.

So now I am looking for an alternative. I fancy a service (from a stockbroker, website
etc) that can send Excel formated documents to me via email. That way, I wouldnt
have to  bother going through the extraction process daily as I can always download
the excel worksheets from my email box when I am free (say weekends). You dig?

Cant seem to get anything from my FSDH susbcription. Information regarding any
alternate source will be appreciated

@ X-2-X

I think the subscription process takes time to activate.

Login into their site with your email and password. Click on the link for share price: it gives you the most recent price history (27th). Click on archieve to get past data.

Apart from the above: cashcraft, nigeriansecurities and trw.stockbrokers are good sources.

Just press the left mouse down, hold and drag along the data. Do ctrl + C or right click and choose copy. Open your excel sheet, click on a cell and do Ctrl + V or right click and choose past: VOILA!

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kingzy(m): 10:40pm On Dec 27, 2007
what is happening to intercont? Did they announced bonus or dividend? What is pushing the offer?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 10:58pm On Dec 27, 2007
Stock /Forward PE

C&I Leasing/34.3

Upside: Okay, I can read your thoughts; "the forward PE is too high". If the growth rate of 200% continues into 2008, the forward PE will drop to ~12 after the FY Jan 08 results are released. If the growth rate slows to 100%, the forward PE will drop to ~17.

Downside: the FY result is not expected till June 2008; there may not be a major rally in share price (relative to the market) till then.

Bottom line: this is a classic growth stock with a PEG of ~0.2. You should expect this to double market performance in 2008

Law Union and Rock/20.2
Upside: A turnover of N900M and PAT of N260 in the 3rd Q of 07 projects to a PAT of N800 for the FY 2007 and I predict a PAT of >N1.4B for the FY 2008. The N2.5+B raised from the 2006 PO should go a long way towards helping them grow. Also see some recent good press below

http://businessdayonline.com/Insurance/62.html

http://www.silobreaker.com/DocumentReader.aspx?Item=5_805241609

Downside: I expect all Insurance coys will return to the primary market in 2008. Law should be one of the first. A PO will dilute value. Also, FY 2007 result is not expected till 2nd half of 2008.

Bottom line: another classic growth stock with a PEG of ~ 0.1. Will more than double market performance (ex PO), but try not to get caught by TS.

Unic Insurance/20.2

Upside: raised N2B from the 06 offer. Coy has partnered with AIG (Man U for life!) and now have an AIG guy on the board. Having Mr Shonekan on the board seems like a good thing as well. Recent good press below

http://businessdayonline.com/Insurance/1674.html

Downside: same as Law Union. Unic is also more volatile

Bottom line: same as Law Union

Nigerian-German Chemicals/15.3

Upside: forward PE is 15, growth rate is >60%, will not be raising money anytime soon, will (hopefully) not split the stock; what more could you want? This is the new GTBank; a must have in any portfolio. Shonekan on the board again.

Downside: I don't see any

Bottom line: look under "upside". + Wanaj0 has been flogging this forever. Oil services could boost PAT. Has the potential to double the market performance.

UBA/17.3

Upside: Because it's year end is September, the trailing PE (25) is comparable to the forward PE of most banks. In the absence of any interim results, I'm using a 50% PAT growth rate; I expect UBA to join the N30B club by this time next year. 3 month result should be released in Feb and give the stock a boost. No PO in 2008 (thank God!) and 07 PO funds should add to bottom line.

Downside: may not release 3 month result (did not in 2006). Relatively high (absolute) price may deter some

Bottom line: due to YE timing, UBA is suddenly looking like the best bank. A great short-term play till the 1Q result is released.

If the market remains at the current pricing level, all these stocks should deliver 60 - 100% in 2008 relative to today's prices. Sure a stock will come out of nowhere to pull a "Costain" on us, but if I could see it, I'd have quit my job already! grin

Enjoy.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 11:22pm On Dec 27, 2007
@ easimoni

thanks for the info above. E be like say i go hire you to run my folio !! Still scowering for info on National sports lottery ,only thing i found is they have a licence for 30yrs. None of the reseachers have the firms financial .Have you got any info ? I have a gut feeling the company will do well ,you know,lottery easily becomes an habit and most business like that succeed.Looking to have reasonable basis before i dive in . Please share any info .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 12:03am On Dec 28, 2007
@Easimoni and @Grabdaloot.

I tried computing RSI for First Bank - just to see if I understand whats up

I have attached the spreadsheet for your review - please confirm if I am on the right track or I have done jargon?

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by X2X(m): 12:40am On Dec 28, 2007

@grabdaloot, Man Jiro

You are both stars.

Thanks a bunch.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 1:09am On Dec 28, 2007
yodiyokun:

I have attached the spreadsheet for your review - please confirm if I am on the right track or I have done jargon?

wink Yeah you have it on the mark but remember the key thing about RSI is the time frame from start of evaluation. For instance it there is a transition from a bearish market to a bullish one or vice versa, the early RSI computation might be quite misleading might give you an overbought whereas it is highly oversold that is if a bull market is setting in. As a guard to that always try to vary the time frame for the averaging. I use 5 days 10 days 15 days and 20 - 20 days to get a better picture. Generally they all give the same results over time but varying the duration of the evaluation can give early signs of when the tempo of the market is about to swing grin. If you can set up your sheet so that you can use different durations on different stocks then you would have confirmation on the change in market tempo.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 2:16am On Dec 28, 2007
easimoni:

Bottom line: due to YE timing, UBA is suddenly looking like the best bank. A great short-term play till the 1Q result is released.

@easimoni.

My season's greetings.

I understand what you are saying,in that if one takes a position TODAY,UBA is a sure bet short term.

However,I'd like to know if you considered ZENITH at TS price in the same time frame,especially as Q2 results are (more predictably) expected as a price boost post lifting of TS.

Of course I've considered that you excluded ZENITH since its near- impossible to get enough volume from it due to TS

Your take,please.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 2:33am On Dec 28, 2007
grabdaloot:

wink Yeah you have it on the mark but remember the key thing about RSI is the time frame from start of evaluation. For instance it there is a transition from a bearish market to a bullish one or vice versa, the early RSI computation might be quite misleading might give you an overbought whereas it is highly oversold that is if a bull market is setting in. As a guard to that always try to vary the time frame for the averaging. I use 5 days 10 days 15 days and 20 - 20 days to get a better picture. Generally they all give the same results over time but varying the duration of the evaluation can give early signs of when the tempo of the market is about to swing grin. If you can set up your sheet so that you can use different durations on different stocks then you would have confirmation on the change in market tempo.

Thanks,

But How on earth do I use the information, is there any basis for comparison. How do I determine when to buy or sell and when is it applicable.

For example using it on A.G leventis - the RSI has risen over the last few months to about 70- I used the 14 days pattern.

Based on this, Entering this stock at the current price may not be a good idea-- but what if the stock price doesnt come down and keeps going up? what then?

Or are there times when the RSI is not applicable - I want to be balanced in my analysis.

Talk to me oo.

I beg make your email visible - make I email you with some more questions

Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 3:25am On Dec 28, 2007
Again,@easimoni

I'm seeing the 8 billion plus,Zenith posted as after tax profit for Q1.

Traditionally,this figure goes northwards every new Quarter.I'm therefore seeing 32-37 billion PAT at full year.This to my mind would be the industry's highest.

Would also be the earliest to be announced amongst the big banks based on year-end,as well as Zenith's timeliness to release its results.These translates to a greater tendency for instiutional peeps to turn on the flood more towards Zenith;and this,the better for price motion for short-termers.

I  SEE ZENITH'S POST-TS PRICE DEFYING GRAVITY unlike some pretenders of late tongue.

Zenith's PO is crispier;less dilusion.Only 25% oversubscription allowed, which BTW,doesn't apply to the "right's issue" part which by nature has only a fixed 100% maximum subscription at most.After the PO,I figure a total number additional shares of about 3.5 billion.More funds post-offer with relatively less increament in outstanding shares compared to UBA offer.Better-looking bottom line cool.To me,that's crunchy.Forward EPS stays attractive.Bonus;good dividend in view.No bonus,then EPS gets better onward and so price follows suit.

In short,Zenith is better short-term than UBA because,short-term,it IS better cool cool.but also because long-termers (6 months upward) consider it more readily in their scope.And this keeps short-term motion upwards.

What say @Takers. . . . .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 5:16am On Dec 28, 2007
@Yodidokun, Grabdaloot, Easimoni others

Thanks Yodidokun for the sample RSI.
Good for lazy ones like me. Just need to fill the prices in.

I expect that if AG Leventis stays around 70 you need to just steer clear. Perhaps too late to get on.

What do you say Grabdaloot, Easimoni etc?

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:45am On Dec 28, 2007
yodiyokun:

Yodi, you calculated it right but I have included a second sheet that does it in four columns instead of 8.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 8:44am On Dec 28, 2007
Quote from: kpineo on Yesterday at 08:56:42 PM

E be like say i need to go and pay Cecilia a vist at home oh, abi wey my Oceanic Certificate now. 100% profit and i can't verify talkless of selling. E gbami oh!!!   

If oceanic bank last p.o is not listed the cert will be return unverified,

@ all

Does it mean that if a share is not listed, the certificate can not be verified and the share will not be traded?  So we can't trade the Japaul till 2009? lf thats the case, l never knew oo!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ciaman: 8:48am On Dec 28, 2007
@Easimoni and @Grabdaloot
easimoni:

Yodi, you calculated it right but I have included a second sheet that does it in four columns instead of 8.

Please whats RSI and What does it implies in a stock?/ Thank you
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 9:10am On Dec 28, 2007
Ciaman:

@Easimoni and @Grabdaloot

Please whats RSI and What does it implies in a stock?/ Thank you

Dont push the clock back. You just joined, pls do urself a favour of reading previous pages for better understanding of this forum in general.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 9:34am On Dec 28, 2007
[
yodiyokun:

Thanks,

But How on earth do I use the information, is there any basis for comparison. How do I determine when to buy or sell and when is it applicable.

For example using it on A.G leventis - the RSI has risen over the last few months to about 70- I used the 14 days pattern.

Based on this, Entering this stock at the current price may not be a good idea-- but what if the stock price doesnt come down and keeps going up? what then?

Or are there times when the RSI is not applicable - I want to be balanced in my analysis.

Talk to me oo.

I beg make your email visible - make I email you with some more questions

Thanks.

Yodi,
How you apply the RSI is purely up to you but I will try to explain the general principle of the application. It can be used by all kinds of investors, dividend hunters, capital gain pursuants, long term investors etc. The thing is that when you have decided on stock you want to invest in, the RSI will aid you in getting in at the best time/price. It can also serve as an aid for when to exit (short sellers love the RSI to death). Various people have various bars but typically 70 seems to be the sell indicator and 30 the buy one. As for AGLEVENT, I just looked again and the RSI to me seem to be in the 54 - 56 range. Still a good entry point for the stock if you ask me considering the relatively lean volumes. I used the 5 - 25 day range to look at it (increment of 5 days), so decide on a stock evaluate the RSI and know when to jump on the boat. Those of you that like 'cyclic' stocks this is a must use! With higher highs and higer lows immenient the swingers/surfers should get ready to ride the wave
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tboy81(m): 9:48am On Dec 28, 2007
Please, do you think Aiico Insurance will be a good buy?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rire(m): 10:00am On Dec 28, 2007
@ all
Can anybody please confirm if the new shares from the last first bank PO has been listed on the exchange, also has anybody had their CSCS accounts credited with it? I read somewhere that the shares has been listed.
Many thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 11:18am On Dec 28, 2007
@rire

The 1st Bank shares have been listed.
Have not been credited with mine yet.

@Easi, Yodi

Hope you don't mind the short forms. told you I can be lazy!
Thanks for the RSI stuff. Must now muster the energy to fill in the blanks. Exhausting stuff.

Samstone4 cool cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 11:43am On Dec 28, 2007
grabdaloot:

[
Yodi,
How you apply the RSI is purely up to you but I will try to explain the general principle of the application. It can be used by all kinds of investors, dividend hunters, capital gain pursuants, long term investors etc. The thing is that when you have decided on stock you want to invest in, the RSI will aid you in getting in at the best time/price. It can also serve as an aid for when to exit (short sellers love the RSI to death). Various people have various bars but typically 70 seems to be the sell indicator and 30 the buy one. As for AGLEVENT, I just looked again and the RSI to me seem to be in the 54 - 56 range. Still a good entry point for the stock if you ask me considering the relatively lean volumes. I used the 5 - 25 day range to look at it (increment of 5 days), so decide on a stock evaluate the RSI and know when to jump on the boat. Those of you that like 'cyclic' stocks this is a must use! With higher highs and higer lows immenient the swingers/surfers should get ready to ride the wave

@Grabalot

I don't understand how you arrived at an RSI of 54-56. I used the 14 day range. Find attached my results. Have I miscalculated something?

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 11:49am On Dec 28, 2007
grabdaloot:

[
It can also serve as an aid for when to exit [b](short sellers love the RSI to death).[/b]Those of you that like 'cyclic' stocks this is a must use! With higher highs and higer lows immenient the swingers/surfers should get ready to ride the wave

AND THEY SHALL LEARN TO MAKE MONEY EVERY MONTH as said earlier
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oore(m): 11:58am On Dec 28, 2007
FatherOF2:

AND THEY SHALL LEARN TO MAKE MONEY EVERY MONTH as said earlier

@FatherOF2
I agree with you here. I believe this is what everyone of us wanted. Pls no forget your brother for the special package. my e-mail is not hidden.

(1) (2) (3) ... (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.