Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,369 members, 7,868,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 10:29 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (280) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (821051 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 11:11pm On Jan 02, 2008
hispy99:

@Pumping

I am thinking of having a 2nd broker too. What's the min requirement for BGL?

Unfortunately I don't know. We never discussed this. I will find out from my broker.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 11:17pm On Jan 02, 2008
@bigjay01 or pumping 777
can anyone of you help me with the NSE.csv file containing data from 24-12-2007 till date. i get my updates from fsdh and this doesn't have open prices. the uba one is a pdf. but can copy from nigeriansecurities after today.
i dey wait oh.

@bigjay01
saw your comment about indicator parameters, the software is really cool.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 11:35pm On Jan 02, 2008
@ManJiro, Pumping et al,

U na do well oh, with the Aptistock tool. God Bless you,

I have data back to April 2007, i have formatted it for direct upload to Aptistock, see Megaupload link below.

Old-timers - Windywendy, Frankiriri, Londoncool et al - I salute oh, Happy New year.

PS: I named the file NNSE, i do not want to confuse myself with the India NSE, anyway, you can always change the filename.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FO4KIHIK
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ManJiro(m): 11:35pm On Jan 02, 2008
koksieboy:

I've tried to use the metastock converter to load the NSE data too unsuccessfully. The only thing that worked was to save each individual securities in the NSe.zip file as a different CSV file and upload into metastock individually. I'm currently playing around with Metastock Converter v1.3 to convert the NSE data into metastock format.

@ Koksieboy, Bigjay01

Can you please send me the link for downloading Metastock.

You might not need to format data for metastock. Try copying your files in "program file ---Aptistock ---Data ---NSE" into the directory of your metastock app. I think this will work. Another issue is to save all your files as CSV(MS-DOS) not just CSV
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hispy99(m): 11:49pm On Jan 02, 2008
pumping777:

Unfortunately I don't know. We never discussed this. I will find out from my broker.

Will appreciate it a lot, not too particularly happy with my broker now
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 11:52pm On Jan 02, 2008
Man Jiro,

I don't know a direct download link for Metastock but you can download via torrent on www.isohunt.com but you need to careful as the iso image may have malicious contents.

what's ur conact in Scotland?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 11:56pm On Jan 02, 2008
Waoh !, make I quick drop madam for shopping and 3 pages !!, this thread na biko!

@Fatherof2, Thanks.

I get small seat inside the train, just thinking of of a confy chair instead !

You get plenty pickin, u certainly do, grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 11:58pm On Jan 02, 2008
@All

When is action going to start on JAPAUL for those of us who buy the IPO?
Any idea?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 12:03am On Jan 03, 2008
@savvy larry

thanks for that data sheet. am no uptodate with 9months history.
now that most of us have aptistock and can get it going. the next thing is to decide which parameters to check and what to watch out for.
gurus i beg i wan learn from una for this 2008 oh! shocked
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gudchoice: 12:33am On Jan 03, 2008
@ Man Jiro - thanks for the heads up on the torrent download. Will be trying Metastock.

@ all - tried uploading the NSE.cvs file into Apistock , but I keep getting an error message;

This starts from 12560 - 14015 as you can see below.

Data error in line 14014 of file F:\Documents and Settings\Bleep\My Documents\NSE.csv.
Data error in line 14015 of file F:\Documents and Settings\Bleep\My Documents\NSE.csv.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 12:35am On Jan 03, 2008
Favour08:

@krruch,

Do you know if it's Zenith securities practice to purchase stocks over funds available in your account. I just experienced this and my account is overdrawn. Fine with me though. Also is the C.O.O The Ogunf----- guy.

@Favour08

Yeah,its the same guy(Ogun___).My account too was overdrawn.

Though I wouldn't vouch safe for any firm,his explanations were that orders were bought,that had been unsuccessfully attemted to have been cancelled by clients who then placed new orders on the assumption that their earlier orders were successfully cancelled.Both orders thereby being bought shocked.

As you might have experienced yourself,lots of order cancellation attempts have been made by clients due to inherent errors discovered in them

Call him to help put up the pressure. . . .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gudchoice: 12:37am On Jan 03, 2008
@ all - Does anyone know if the historical data provided by WanaJo any good with these softwares (Aptistock/Metastock)?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:39am On Jan 03, 2008
Gudchoice:

@ Man Jiro - thanks for the heads up on the torrent download. Will be trying Metastock.

@ all - tried uploading the NSE.cvs file into Apistock , but I keep getting an error message;

This starts from 12560 - 14015 as you can see below.

Data error in line 14014 of file F:\Documents and Settings\Bleep\My Documents\NSE.csv.
Data error in line 14015 of file F:\Documents and Settings\Bleep\My Documents\NSE.csv.

This could just be because of some loose data listed in these rows.

It means you have the data imported all the way to row 12559. The original file has valid data only up till row 12507 so you should be okay. Check in Apistock that you have the data. Be concerned only if you get errors from the beginning of the file.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 12:43am On Jan 03, 2008
Krrush:

@Favour08

Yeah,its the same guy(Ogun___).My account to was overdrawn.

Though I wouldn't vouch safe for any firm,his explanations were that the automatic buying of orders that were later attemted to be cancelled by clients who then placed new orders on the assumption that their earlier orders were successfully cancelled.Both orders thereby being bought.

As you might have experienced yourself,lots of order cancellation attempts have been made by clients due to inherent errors discovered in them

Favour08:

@krruch,

Do you know if it's Zenith securities practice to purchase stocks over funds available in your account. I just experienced this and my account is overdrawn. Fine with me though. Also is the C.O.O The Ogunf----- guy.

I also had issues with ZSL, their Symbol portal at times updates after 48hrs which led to the sale of 100,000units of my Wema after cancelling the order earlier. From my experience, your best bet is to issues buy/sell instructions by email to the mandates box and copy the Ogun, or any 2 other staffs you know to ensure it is done.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lumidii: 12:44am On Jan 03, 2008
@hispy99

BGL securities now require N5million to open a broking account, it could be in cash, or in stockholding. But do not be discouraged if your resources are not quite up to that, carry on and talk to them, they might be still be able to deal. They've gone the extra mile for me in the past.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:53am On Jan 03, 2008
SavvyLanre:

@ManJiro, Pumping et al,

You na do well oh, with the Aptistock tool. God Bless you,

I have data back to April 2007, i have formatted it for direct upload to Aptistock, see Megaupload link below.

Old-timers - Windywendy, Frankiriri, Londoncool et al - I salute oh, Happy New year.

PS: I named the file NNSE, i do not want to confuse myself with the India NSE, anyway, you can always change the filename.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FO4KIHIK

Fantastic!!! Too much talent on this forum jare.

This worked for me excellently short of one issue. I needed to format the volume column to "general" otherwise any volume data with commas is not populated.

But I beg, how una dey merge all this data into one worksheet?? Are you just using the merge workbook funtionality in Excel
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gudchoice: 12:59am On Jan 03, 2008
@ Pumping - Thanks for the info. I can't even get the software to do anything. None of the files ever complete loading. Don't know what to do sad

May be you can talk me thru how to get it work? Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gudchoice: 1:07am On Jan 03, 2008
koksieboy:

I also had issues with ZSL, their Symbol portal at times updates after 48hrs which led to the sale of 100,000units of my Wema after cancelling the order earlier. From my experience, your best bet is to issues buy/sell instructions by email to the mandates box and copy the Ogun, or any 2 other staffs you know to ensure it is done.
Krrush:

@Favour08

Yeah,its the same guy(Ogun___).My account to was overdrawn.

Though I wouldn't vouch safe for any firm,his explanations were that the automatic buying of orders that were later attemted to be cancelled by clients who then placed new orders on the assumption that their earlier orders were successfully cancelled.Both orders thereby being bought.

@ all - I tire for these stockbroker oh. You would think that the high end brokers would offer excellent service but from all indications it seems finding an excellent firm is a rare gem if not impossible shocked

This is really sad.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 1:13am On Jan 03, 2008
Try Futureview
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gudchoice: 1:24am On Jan 03, 2008
blueband:

Try Futureview

@ Blueband - kindly share your thoughts on the questions below, it would be highly appreciated.

How long have you been with them, if you use them?

What is their service like?

What do you like about them?

Any downside you would care to mention?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 2:01am On Jan 03, 2008
I use Futureview in Abuja.Don't know about their Lagos office but I presume they operate from their Lagos office.Minimum account opening is 500K(in naira).

I give my account officer orders by email and they are executed almost immediately.
My account officer is very nice to me.Very friendly wink as well,maybe that might explain the prompt service I am getting.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 2:05am On Jan 03, 2008
Is there a way to determine the bid and offer amount of a particular stock in a given trading day ?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 2:14am On Jan 03, 2008
@ all - I tire for these stockbroker oh. You would think that the high end brokers would offer excellent service but from all indications it seems finding an excellent firm is a rare gem if not impossible  

This is really sad.

@Gudchoice
Consider Vetiva.

Upside
-I haven't had a lot of the issues mentioned here.
- They have been very professional and responsive. Been with them 6 months. N1 mil to open.
- The on-line portal works well. I issue orders on-line before I go to sleep (EST), before I wake up order executed and contract note issued. The only time I get emails is when the order is not executed usually due to price limit I set or scarcity.
- I like the fact almost all my communication with them is via email.

Downside
-  I would say the service is not personal, used to have an account officer but now get an email from the equity sales distribution list. Not an issue for me though.
-  Also don't like that I have to mail the PO forms since I do not have a nominee account with them though an exception was made recently for me. Again shouldn't be an issue going forward as I am fed up with the PO/IPO thing.
- Broker commission is 1.5%. Tried to renegotiate after FO2 revealed broker commission is negotiable but no joy. However it seems 1.5% is the norm for mainstream brokers except maybe for ZSL which I understand is 1%.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 3:42am On Jan 03, 2008
How can I register with Vetiva.I think futureview is charging me something in the region of 2.4%.But i believe this is for sell orders only as my statement for buy orders do not reflect any charges.Can someone explain this to me.

JJC
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 4:05am On Jan 03, 2008
blueband:

How can I register with Vetiva.I think futureview is charging me something in the region of 2.4%.But i believe this is for sell orders only as my statement for buy orders do not reflect any charges.Can someone explain this to me.

JJC

@Blueband
I was referring to the broker’s commission only - the other fees are mandatory. With Vetiva, total transaction cost is 2.44% for buy and 2.77% for sell.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 5:07am On Jan 03, 2008
koksieboy:

@koksieboy

Thanks for the tip,but check this,I actually mandated a buy order via e-mail as they too had adviced since their software malfunction problems.I ordered purchase of Access bank,incorporating a price limit and expirey date for day after.

Would you believe several days after they went ahead and bought even above my price limit.

Kia kia,I went yesterday to rake.He said the obvious wrong purchases would certainly,easily be rectified{and by this he meant,would simply be cancelled,hence my loosing-out buying at the opportuned time angry angry} . . . . .

With 50,000 clients,so he claimed,their software had to go through the needed upgrading;was what he pleaded.

I watch them like a hawk;these guys want to mess my short time play(that I've thankfully learnt about on this thread) sad angry.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 7:08am On Jan 03, 2008
Is there a way to determine the net bid and offer amount of a particular stock in a given trading day ?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 8:58am On Jan 03, 2008
@ all attached is Dealer's perspective for 020108 from Afrinvest.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nimshi: 9:14am On Jan 03, 2008
@blueband: who's your account officer at Futureview? My account officer just left and the new one they gave me, I'm not so sure,  Orders unexecuted in the last 4 trading days; money transfers not reflected on my account for three/four working days, plus, I get an email that goes: ", sorry 4 all d dlay; bin tryin 2 sort tins out; will try 2 get it don"; that's the second email I'm getting from this person; if this's a hint of things to come, then the future view isn't bright,  The old account officer was marvellous.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by question(m): 9:52am On Jan 03, 2008
Nimshi:

@blueband: who's your account officer at Futureview? My account officer just left and the new one they gave me, I'm not so sure,  Orders unexecuted in the last 4 trading days; money transfers not reflected on my account for three/four working days, plus, I get an email that goes: ", sorry 4 all d dlay; bin tryin 2 sort tins out; will try 2 get it don"; that's the second email I'm getting from this person; if this's a hint of things to come, then the future view isn't bright,  The old account officer was marvellous.

The quality of service depends a lot on the individual handling your account.
The same thing happened to me last year in FutureView. Though it was the other way round (My new account officer is 100% better than the previous one.)

@ blueband, have you ever accessed your updated account statement online on the FutureView website?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 10:06am On Jan 03, 2008
Her name is Foluke at the Abuja Branch.
Foluke.o@futureview,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 10:16am On Jan 03, 2008
@ Fatherof2,

Baba Morning oh.

Got news for you. Since you posted that you've got some stuff for me and I posted my number for youe email to be sent to me, the number of calls I received has been like wow and most of them are silent readers.

I was like people no want make anything wey fit bring money pass them by oh. Everyone wan make am this new year 2008

Shows your school of thought has a lot of followers/students.

Thanks for the incisive advice. It is highly appreciated.

By the special grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, our investment shall produce great fruits for harvest. Amen, Amen, Amen

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.